Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    Athlete = healthier than average person

no rocket science

Fitter does not equal healthier.

From joint wear to physical injury to inflammatory wear all are part and parcel of any athletic endeavour and all are an impact on health.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 boars

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

thebaz wrote: »
    I've explained 2 times - Why cancel the rugby game , when the 6,000 fans from effected region are coming anyway - it was highly unlikely the players themselves were the problem.

Yeah but what does bureacracy have to do with either of those decisions?

You know there are 60 million folk in italy, mostly unaffected

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

I've explained 2 times - Why cancel the rugby game , when the 6,000 fans from effected region are coming anyway - it was highly unlikely the players themselves were the problem.

The problem isn’t the cancellation, it’s the lack of follow up to actively discourage travel from Northern Italy and enforce self isolation on all coming home from that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Not many people would go for that option. Would you?

The exponential growth in air and international travel is largely related to cheap fares.

Containment and delay means making it difficult for people to travel to and from a highly infected region.

And if they do travel and return without reporting it to authorities, they should be forcefully isolated.

Its time to stop messing around with this. The Chinese got on top of it eventually by being ruthless. Being nice won't cut it in this case.

And like that medical professional, you are not understanding this.

If flights from Italy were stopped then those who wanted to travel would simply hop on a train and use any number of alternative airports within very easy traveling distance.

So stop flights from Italy and all those would simply get flights from other airports. Even Munich airport is just 5 hours away by train.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

I think the Government need to get a new Health Minister, just lie and say Simon Harris is ill and can no longer perform the job and have someone with a semblance of credibility take over the job. Harris is clearly way in over his head and while I understand that he has no real governance over the health system, having him on tv/radio/SM talking and spluttering about it gives zero credibility to the health service.
    KWAG2019 wrote: »
    Excellent suggestion. We had a GE because he would have lost the VoC. Who has the proven competence in the caretaker govt? Accountants would say Donohue but he would give the impression of measuring needed resources in a Scrooge like manner. It does need change.

Richard Bruton all day long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

I hate the way every hse briefing includes the words "we are not really surprised by this".

Can't cope with cakes being left uncovered all over the place in small shops. It's rotten

Cakes are routinely left exposed in shops big and small. In fact I don’t know any retail outlet where they are covered, with exception of coffee shops like m&s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Cancel the game , but still allow the 6,000 fans from effected region to come anyway. Whats the point in cancelling the game , when Temple bar instead will be wher the masses will congregate now.
    Nothing against Italians, but if we are serious in trying to contain spread, flights should be cancelled.

Might be something to do with Ryanair being one of the largest companies on the ISEQ index and this crisis would mean financial ruin for quite a few companies when the contagion spreads.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Your example is not great.

Buying enough toilet roll for a couple of weeks is logical. Buying enough to last a year or so is not. Also arguably the greatest invention is the modern sewerage system so we no longer live in our own ****.

Toilet roll is a part of that system and we would be a lot unhealthier without it.

Have to agree. Some people cannot differentiate between making sensible provisions given what we know and panic buying over 6 months of supplies.

They are two entirely separate things and should be not labeled the same.

Funny enough it's the people that have this attitude who will be the biggest panickers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Panrich wrote: »
    No the first column translates as 'Recovered with symptoms' which means that they are still positive on tests but are to all intents recovered.

Recovered with symptoms is contradictory. If you have symptoms then you haven't recovered so the figures are meaningless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

Richard Bruton all day long.

Leaving aside my political differences I’d say he has the experience across govt and is not afraid to make decisions but he may be tainted again as biased toward business over the people.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,608 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Yeah but what does bureacracy have to do with either of those decisions?

You know there are 60 million folk in italy, mostly unaffected

I give up - why do nearly all cases in Eurpoe have a connection back to North Italy right now ??

I suppose its just coincidence ,

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Removalist

My other half works in Dublin airport, aerlingus flights from Venice and Milan that would normally be full are arriving with 20-30 people on board. Same with the Frankfurt flights.

Echo Live.ie 06.03.2020

Patient spent days in emergency department before diagnosis

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Coronavirus-latest-Deadly-virus-in-Cork-Patient-spent-days-in-emergency-department-before-diagnosis--0608fdbd-7e91-4440-bccf-f182dd8b1d6a-ds

A PATIENT had spent a number of days in the emergency department before the diagnosis was made.
    The Cork man, aged in his 40s, became the first in the country to catch the infection through community transmission.

The patient had been taken to CUH by ambulance, complaining of pains in his head. He spent time in A&E before being discharged. He was readmitted in recent days and tested for the virus.

Unlike previous cases in Ireland, the man, aged in his 40s, had not travelled to northern Italy.

The patient was being cared for in an Intensive Care Unit last night.

(Hope the man is okay...seems they wasted days)

Wasn’t his diagnosis pure luck? He was sent for an X-ray and the radiologist found signs of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

But that would mean Waterford, Limerick and Cork are on "lock down"? :confused:
    And there are posters here who we are remotely equipped to deal with this???? :pac:

The Irish hospital system will be rendered unusable if this continues.

Lack of infection control and protocols means that it will be in increasingly difficult for people to access critical care and other hospital services.

Depending on the same system which results in significant queues in A&E and lack of resources is a disaster in the making.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Akabusi

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    Athlete = healthier than average person

no rocket science

You gave the example of a marathon runner being in ICU as a point to say that even the healthiest could get the virus.

My point is they are actually more vulnerable to it than the average Joe.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-43211447

https://bigthink.com/personal-growth/reasons-not-to-run-a-marathon

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Pretzill wrote: »
    Why hadn't we isolation in place from the airport
    Isolate what exactly? Every flight? All passengers from Northern Italy? Isolate certain ones based on quick scans? Where do you isolate them? People returning from initial hot zones were quarantined I think but the numbers were small. Not aware anywhere in Europe is isolating at the airport for flights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

banie01 wrote: »
    Fitter does not equal healthier.

From joint wear to physical injury to inflammatory wear all are part and parcel of any athletic endeavour and all are an impact on health.

May have an impact on all that but they will still be generally healthier than the average person.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 industry accountant

Removalist wrote: »
    My other half works in Dublin airport, aerlingus flights from Venice and Milan that would normally be full are arriving with 20-30 people on board. Same with the Frankfurt flights.

Nice to know but even that 20 or 30 shouldn't be allowed

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭ThePopehimself

But that would mean Waterford, Limerick and Cork are on "lock down"? :confused:

And there are posters here who we are remotely equipped to deal with this???? :pac:

It isn't confirmed yet in Waterford and from what I gather, it is one ward.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭weetiepie

pwurple wrote: »

Fair play to them, a bit of sense at last, not waiting on direction from the HSE

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Removalist

Nice to know but even that 20 or 30 shouldn't be allowed

I agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

ixoy wrote: »
    Isolate what exactly? Every flight? All passengers from Northern Italy? Isolate certain ones based on quick scans? Where do you isolate them? People returning from initial hot zones were quarantined I think but the numbers were small. Not aware anywhere in Europe is isolating at the airport for flights.

Exactly. The issues so far relating to flights from Italy have been Irish people returning home. How exactly could that have been stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

I give up - why do nearly all cases in Eurpoe have a connection back to North Italy right now ??

I suppose its just coincidence ,

WHERE DOES BUREAUCRACY COME INTO IT?

What is bureaucratic about the decisions made?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,249 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Can't cope with cakes being left uncovered all over the place in small shops. It's rotten

Long before this corona virus, my mother has thought this was the most unhygienic thing ever - she saw a child in Dunnes one day with their paws all over the cakes and pastries - she said it to a manager that they really should be covered in cling film or something - sure nothing was done. They continue to be displayed out in the open with no cover - although a few of them are up higher now so kids can't get their hands on them, but everybody is breathing on them anyway. Can't understand myself why this is allowed by the FSA.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

A big cluster around northwest Germany, Netherlands, Belgium?

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1235885799645863942

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MOR316

Not arsed working. Keep hitting F5 reading this thread

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 industry accountant

joe40 wrote: »
    Exactly. The issues so far relating to flights from Italy have been Irish people returning home. How exactly could that have been stopped.

I've seen this argument over and over.
    Simple, bring them home but straight into quarantine until it can be verified they are clear or not.
    Don't let them in to wander freely, going to work/school etc.
    This is common sense stuff :confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement