Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Antisemitism rising sharply across Europe

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Odhinn wrote: »
    ...seeing as they fill them whenever they think the "Grass" needs mowing, its a bit of a PR exercise.

Its real money honey. I think you are paranoid.

He is rather a loathsome fecker, tis true.
    My dad said he would spit on him!
    He also said Travellers should be put in concentration camps!

He is rather a loathsome fecker, tis true.

As regards Israel and Palestine. All i want for Israelis and Palestinians is peace happiness and prosperity.

I don't know the way or what form it will take. But i don't want to feed anymore hatred between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭Odhinn

As regards Israel and Palestine. All i want for Israelis and Palestinians is peace happiness and prosperity.

I don't know the way or what form it will take. But i don't want to feed anymore hatred between them.

There's quite enough of that as it is, certainly. Unfortunately American backing of Israel means nothing will change, except perhaps for the worst.

There's quite enough of that as it is, certainly. Unfortunately American backing of Israel means nothing will change, except perhaps for the worst.

Well there is a ceasefire now not organized by the west but by the middle east itself. Lets hope.

• Advertisement

Well there is a ceasefire now not organized by the west but by the middle east itself. Lets hope.

A ceasefire with Hamas, the minority faction, controlling only Gaza. Nothing done about settlement expansion, the treatment of the occupied population and so on.

A ceasefire with Hamas, the minority faction, controlling only Gaza. Nothing done about settlement expansion, the treatment of the occupied population and so on.

Its a start. And hamas is an obstacle to peace the PA is not really.

They are much more reasonable.

Its a start. And hamas is an obstacle to peace the PA is not really.

They are much more reasonable.

Hamas are just the current excuse. Before that it was Arafat. Before that again it was that the PLO was "communist". Should Hamas vanish overnight a fresh excuse will be there in the morning.

The PA is essentially a bribed and corrupt organisation, run by Abbas. His sons are, by all accounts, taking every advantage and penny they can.

The PA is essentially a bribed and corrupt organisation, run by Abbas. His sons are, by all accounts, taking every advantage and penny they can.

That's an unfortunate truth. Hamas are just as corrupt though. There is not a lot Israel can do about that.
    Hamas are just the current excuse. Before that it was Arafat. Before that again it was that the PLO was "communist". Should Hamas vanish overnight a fresh excuse will be there in the morning.

The Palestine Liberation Organization was really about pan arab nationalism. It burnt its bridges in the middle east after it tried to overthrow the Hashemite monarchy and failed (the Jordanian royal family ). They also further created their fate with their failed insurgency in the Lebannon. The PLO is considered one of the key contributors to the Lebanese civil war.

If Israel had befriended the PLO it would have offended their Arab neighbors whom the PLO had attempted to overthrow and they had only just created a fragile peace with them.

Now whatever you think of these neighbors etc and their regimes is besides the point ...if they are your neighbors etc you have to live with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭mikemac2

The basis for anti semetism is often connected to ideas about palestine particularly ireland.

Could they not find a bit of waste ground for that bonfire??

It’s beside a row of terraced houses at 00:30 ! Their houses could go up in flames and I don’t believe their insurance will be paying out

A bonfire yeah sure, what Nordies do but how thick can you be to burn up your own community :confused:

• Advertisement

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Could they not find a bit of waste ground for that bonfire??

It’s beside a row of terraced houses at 00:30 ! Their houses could go up in flames and I don’t their insurance will be paying out

A bonfire yeah sure, what Nordies do but how thick can you be to burn up your own community :confused:

I dont get it on either side of the community. I just dont get it.
    Obv the other side have theirs too ....they burn my flag ..the irish flag and maybe the palestinian flag ....who knows why they prob couldn't point to palestine on a map

Obv mostly Northern Irish people whether Unionist or Irish are 'normal' and by normal i mean the extremists probably call them freaks because their views are so warped. I have noticed that. 'What you're Irish but not EXTREME NATIONALIST?? YOU FREAK''.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I will pretty much always stand with Jews. Like I will for gays and women.
    People who do wrong against Jews, gays or women are not good people.

biko wrote: »
    I will pretty much always stand with Jews. Like I will for gays and women.
    People who do wrong against Jews, gays or women are not good people.

I will stand with muslims and palestinians too i will stand for everyone's rights!

The same people who dislike muslims dislike jews.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,037 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Wouldn't it be grand if there were a discussion of European antisemitism that didn't devolve into CT about Israel and Israeli bashing?

Igotadose wrote: »
    Wouldn't it be grand if there were a discussion of European antisemitism that didn't devolve into CT about Israel and Israeli bashing?

True. But some of the anti-semitism involved people who support palestine.

It would be great to talk about their anti semitism without talking about their support for palestine.

Lets talk about Orban whom the Tories support.

Or how 41 % of Germany's jews say they have received harassment in the past year.

With 28% saying they have been physically harassed in the past year.

https://euobserver.com/political/143655

Then you have the Tree of Life synagogue shooting in Pittsbugh.

You have the Poway shooting of the chabad centre in San Diego.

Its not just Europe.

In France there was a surge in anti Semitic attacks some as serious as murder.

There were protests about it. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-47300117

• Registered Users Posts: 13,343 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Opponents of Corbyn are using this for their own objectives.

He and Labour provide a never ending stream for them though.

I have no doubt he is an anti Semite. I don't really see how one cannot.

So while there are differing motivations for some, there remains a very significant antisemitism problem in Labour and with Jeremy Corbyn.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,516 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I don't know the way or what form it will take.

The form it could take is for Israel to stop the systemic theft and confiscation of land from a weaker people?

msnbc-maps-1024x640.jpg

This might go some way to easing at least some of the problems highlighted in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,343 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

The form it could take is for Israel to stop the systemic theft and confiscation of land from a weaker people?

msnbc-maps-1024x640.jpg

This might go some way to easing at least some of the problems highlighted in this thread.

It won't.

People like Corbyn and co. hated Jews long before Israel, they will hate them long after it.

msnbc-maps-1024x640.jpg

That is a highly misleading map.

There was never a state called Palestine in the 40s much less with defined borders. Several arab leaders made pacts with Hitler.

Hitler convinced the Arab world they had a common enemy with Jews.

It was actually Nazi policy to deport German and eastern European jews to palestine they doubled the Palestinian Jewish population.

The muftis and sheikhs supported the Nazis esp their the anti-Jewish boycott. They didn't like the Jewish refugees but they tolerated them to suit Hitler.

Even before this there had been Arab massacres of jews in Hebron in 1929.

Systematic violence began in early 1920 with murderous assaults by groups of local Arabs against settlements in the north and by Muslim pilgrims against Jerusalem’s Jews. Again in 1921, Arab rioters attacked Jews in Jaffa and its environs. The primary agitator behind these attacks was Haj Amin al Husseini, who marshalled Arab discontent over Jewish immigration into violent riots. Below is Haj Amin Al Husseni sitting with another agitator of the mass murder of jews.

mufti.jpeg

With hitlers continued deportation of jews to palestine the jewish population grew. The systematic arab violence continued until eventually palestinian Jews demanded their own state.

It was divided between Arabs and Jews. The moment this happened the entire Arab world attacked Israel and deported all of their jews to wait for it...yeah israel.

I hate to tell you this but facism appeals to some people in the arab world. And the fact that hamas shoots gay people and the PA and the PLO hate them... might indicate it still does.

I dont know how you expect israel to deal with the issue but i don't think ireland would be so tolerant.

But why are you justifying anti semitism with things Israel has done or not done? Jews outside of Israel have nothing to do with Israel.

Peoples opinions on jews are informed by hundreds of years of anti Semitic propaganda from various states and christians.

• Advertisement

I am not discussing Israel and Palestine in here.

An anti Semitic cartoon is an anti Semitic cartoon though.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Some people today get mixed up about Jews/Israelis.

Mixing Jews up with Israelis makes some people attack Jewish people on the streets of Europe and then blame it on the Israel/Palestine conflict

It's like blaming all the Muslims for the stupid **** the Saudis get up to.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,037 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Mixing Jews up with Israelis makes some people attack Jewish people on the streets of Europe and then blame it on the Israel/Palestine conflict

It's whataboutery designed to reinforce the lie these antisemites on this thread tell themselves, I.e. they're not antisemites. BUT ISRAEL....

Saudi is progressing. Its changing. They are allowing women to drive.

Its criminal justice system is highly flawed etc. And they have human rights issues.

But they are reforming.

On the one hand the war in Yemin is pushing yeminites to the brink of famine. On the other hand the saudis were asked to intervene by the President of Yemin Mansur Hadi. And the Houthi movement has committed terrible war crimes.

I can't claim to understand it all.

I wouldn't even blame saudis for what the Saudi govt does. I wouldn't even say saudi is all bad ..its not. Its mixed.

I think the Arab world is done with religious political leaders. I sense a shift.

Igotadose wrote: »
    It's whataboutery designed to reinforce the lie these antisemites on this thread tell themselves, I.e. they're not antisemites. BUT ISRAEL....

Its easy to get sucked into.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

But why are you justifying anti semitism with things Israel has done or not done? Jews outside of Israel have nothing to do with Israel.
    I'd mostly agree with you on that IL, save for Americans who are Jewish. They remind me of those Irish Americans when the Troubles were kicking off here, full of some weird rose tinted and simplistic take on the situation in the "homeland" and eager to buy into the BS of those who are happy to foster that ignorance for their own ends.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Saudi is progressing. Its changing. They are allowing women to drive.

Its criminal justice system is highly flawed etc. And they have human rights issues.

But they are reforming.
    They are IL, but by God it's slow and I have the cynical feeling much of it is... well, cynical on their part and more about optics.
    I can't claim to understand it all.
    I reckon you've just summed up the narrative of the rest of us to that clusterfcuk that is and has long been that part of the world.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    I'd mostly agree with you on that IL, save for Americans who are Jewish. They remind me of those Irish Americans when the Troubles were kicking off here, full of some weird rose tinted and simplistic take on the situation in the "homeland" and eager to buy into the BS of those who are happy to foster that ignorance for their own ends.

In a lot of instances you are correct. But the exact same is true of Palestinian activists. I would argue on their side it's even more true.

Also Israel is literally the USA's only true ally in the middle east.

Israel also has a majoy espionage system all over the middle east which is far better than the USA's. It shares a lot with the USA.

Israel is also a major buyer of American arms and therefore a desirable customer.

• Advertisement

Wibbs wrote: »
    They are IL, but by God it's slow and I have the cynical feeling much of it is... well, cynical on their part and more about optics.

I reckon you've just summed up the narrative of the rest of us to that clusterfcuk that is and has long been that part of the world.

Its chaos ...its not like Europe.

American support for Israel has not been ....selfless ...and often been worse for Israel in the longterm in that its not impartial to both sides.

When the solution comes if it ever does. It might not please the US or Europe. It only needs to work for the people there.

Advertisement