Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are ye eatin' and drinkin' - The Eatening

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,101 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Deja Boo wrote: »
    A nice tall glass of milk is it? ;):D

That's the plan DB!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,459 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

Venison casserole with mash and a few crispy cubes, a small bit of cake and an Irish coffee.

Those pics :eek: FOODIE HEAVEN! :o *drools*

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

cj maxx wrote: »
    I love tomatoes. Raw, fried, it doesn't matter. If you're cooking anything, mushrooms, bacon etc or anything it tastes so ,so much better with a tomato cooked with it. Even a plain tomato sandwich with salt is glorious.
    Oh I bought a craft beer pack from the OTB ads and loving Buxton pale ale. Bitter at first but it is 6.8% !

So agree. Tomatoes with everything.
    You can get some very nice canned cherry tomatoes now too, really useful.

Toast with a slice of good tomato and sea salt = heaven!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭4Ad

Drinking a can of Carling, good God it's muck...but I will finish it though.

Had Cashel blue cheese and avacado on bread earlier..twas lovely.
    (Prentious foodie gob****e drinking cheap cans, I know...)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

4Ad wrote: »
    Drinking a can of Carling, good God it's muck...but I will finish it though.

Had Cashel blue cheese and avacado on bread earlier..twas lovely.
    (Prentious foodie gob****e drinking cheap cans, I know...)

I'm no beer snob but Carling is absolute piss..Budweiser wouldn't even acknowledge Carling at a party!
    That said I'd still murder a cold one now;)

I had hot chocolate made by melting mint chocolate lindt in a bowl and adding it to warm milk. Didn't work...there were lumps of unmelted chocolate and little bits floating through it...don't try this at home kids!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭4Ad

Porklife wrote: »
    I'm no beer snob but Carling is absolute piss..Budweiser wouldn't even acknowledge Carling at a party!
    That said I'd still murder a cold one now;)

I had hot chocolate made by melting mint chocolate lindt in a bowl and adding it to warm milk. Didn't work...there were lumps of unmelted chocolate and little bits floating through it...don't try this at home kids!

Agree with the Carling opinion.. horse piss, someone left it here at the weekend, I now know why !!
    And there was nothing left to drink...

Bet the chocolate experiment was still tasty..

I remember years ago visiting my sister in London and we broke students. On my last night we scrimped together enough money to buy a rake load of cans and figured Carling would be the best bang for our buck, we only had about 10 pounds between us but managed to get about 12 cans. We were standing in the queue in Sainsburys feeling proper classy with our cans on the conveyor belt and this man behind us threw a packet of paracetamol on top and goes 'you might need them after'. Boy was he right! The flight home next morning always stands out as one of the worst hangovers I've ever had, thank god we only the 10 pounds!

I'm meeting my friend for lunch and have a hankering for a jacket potato smothered in butter, salt and cheese with a big pint of Carling to wsh it down :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

I attempted to have a tuna salad thing and it was rank. It had layers of some kind of fat in it. Threw it in the bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 galway_lad

For lunch, I'm gonna have a personal cold Winter's day fav: A bowl of sweetcorn (a fair whack of it), chilli con carne (defrosted from a batch cook) spread over the top, apply a fair squeeze of peri-peri sauce and mix it all together. All in, only takes about five minutes cooking time and you're ready to go :)

galway_lad wrote: »
    For lunch, I'm gonna have a personal cold Winter's day fav: A bowl of sweetcorn (a fair whack of it), chilli con carne (defrosted from a batch cook) spread over the top, apply a fair squeeze of peri-peri sauce and mix it all together. All in, only takes about five minutes cooking time and you're ready to go :)
    You've described my food hell:)
    I cannot stand sweetcorn almost to phobia levels like if it touches my other food I wont eat any of it!

• Advertisement

Something alcoholic soon. Been a long day since 6am. Probably collapse after a few.

Wednesday night beers. No video chats anymore. People doing their own thing. It used to be in the local pub and that was always great when I was off work. But feck it, I can enjoy a few at home due to the great deals on offer the last few weeks.:D

I made Mrs Gs fave of chips, beans and egg with bread and butter. You'd know she worked in England for a few years back in the day.:eek: Me and Ms G had a lovely homemade chicken curry with rice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Did someone mention chilli con carne?

Funnily enough we haven't had it for a long time, I think the last time was in Cafe Mexicana in Cork city but herself went at it today with a lash of venison and all the bells and whistles, proper textbook stuff and it tasted like it. It was on the hob for two and a half hours at least and no Yankee Candle would challenge the aroma. Plenty left over for freezing too but I don't think it'll make it to the Christmas.

There's still a good few of them Lindt pralines left and they went down well too. Cold Carlsberg as an accompaniment for both courses.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Onion rings with hot sauce. Burning lips feels good I will have a cool beer to wash the pain away.

Did someone mention chilli con carne?

Funnily enough we haven't had it for a long time, I think the last time was in Cafe Mexicana in Cork city but herself went at it today with a lash of venison and all the bells and whistles, proper textbook stuff and it tasted like it. It was on the hob for two and a half hours at least and no Yankee Candle would challenge the aroma. Plenty left over for freezing too but I don't think it'll make it to the Christmas.

There's still a good few of them Lindt pralines left and they went down well too. Cold Carlsberg as an accompaniment for both courses.

I used to go there a lot. My favourite was the pancakes with ice cream, sauce and nuts. That place has been going strong for years.

Onion rings with hot sauce. Burning lips feels good I will have a cool beer to wash the pain away.

A woman after my own heart...anything dippable with hot sauce:)

Porklife wrote: »
    A woman after my own heart...anything dippable with hot sauce:)

It was tasty indeed! Better than ketchup I think with onion rings. I don't have vinegar here will have to get some in when shops go quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭trashcan

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    So agree. Tomatoes with everything.
    You can get some very nice canned cherry tomatoes now too, really useful.

Toast with a slice of good tomato and sea salt = heaven!

My breakfast at the weekends is grilled tomato spread onto toasted ciabatta bread (done on griddle pan with olive oil) and pesto. Bit of salt. Lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭beerguts

I had a delicious T-bone steak with sautéed mushrooms and onio. Garlic bread on the side. It was melt in the mouth with just a touch of pepper sauce

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭VW 1

Lunch today was yesterday's leftover beef stroganoff. Simple and delicious, took all of half an hour to make.

• Advertisement

VW 1 wrote: »
    Lunch today was yesterday's leftover beef stroganoff. Simple and delicious, took all of half an hour to make.

You wouldn't throw up the recipe would ya? It's one dish I love and can't get right.

Just prepped the veg there for thai curry this evening, chopping red onions always ends in tears. Usually fine and think I'm finally getting away with it and then the last bit hits me like being pepper sprayed in the shagging eyes.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭VW 1

Sure thing RG, taken from BBC good food.

Cook 1 onion, sliced, in a medium pan for 10 mins until soft. Add a crushed clove of garlic (or puree) and a tablespoon of butter. Once the butter is melted, add 250g of sliced mushrooms, I seasoned with a decent pinch of salt and pepper at this point. Allow to cook until mushrooms are soft.

At this point the recipe called for flash frying a fillet of beef cut into cubes to seal, but instead I used stewing beef which id boiled for 90 mins until tender.

In a jug combine 100ml of beef stock (I used boiled water and a beef stock cube) and whisk in 1tsp of English mustard and 150g of creme fraiche. Whisk until combined, add to the mushrooms/beef and leave to simmer for 5 mins.

Served mine inside cannelloni as we had some fresh ones in the press to be used but goes just as well rice or potatoes

VW 1 wrote: »
    Sure thing RG, taken from BBC good food.

Cook 1 onion, sliced, in a medium pan for 10 mins until soft. Add a crushed clove of garlic (or puree) and a tablespoon of butter. Once the butter is melted, add 250g of sliced mushrooms, I seasoned with a decent pinch of salt and pepper at this point. Allow to cook until mushrooms are soft.

At this point the recipe called for flash frying a fillet of beef cut into cubes to seal, but instead I used stewing beef which id boiled for 90 mins until tender.

In a jug combine 100ml of beef stock (I used boiled water and a beef stock cube) and whisk in 1tsp of English mustard and 150g of creme fraiche. Whisk until combined, add to the mushrooms/beef and leave to simmer for 5 mins.

Served mine inside cannelloni as we had some fresh ones in the press to be used but goes just as well rice or potatoes

Many thanks for that, will give it a bash next week and report back.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Quick tuna and bean salad with rye toast, dijon mustard and cucumber.

IMG-20201217-204950.jpg

Lidl's dijon is nice and strong!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Coffee cake and dark, rich brew.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭beerguts

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Quick tuna and bean salad with rye toast, dijon mustard and cucumber.

IMG-20201217-204950.jpg

Lidl's dijon is nice and strong!

That's the sort of meal that I absolutely love. Well done I will definitely be copying it

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Prominent_Dawg

Coffee & a warm croissant from Caffè Nero

Doorstep sambo of fresh white loaf, smoked ham, grated vintage cheddar, red onion, tomato and a two inch pile of sour cream Pringles with a mug of Tae.

Doorstep sambo of fresh white loaf, smoked ham, grated vintage cheddar, red onion, tomato and a two inch pile of sour cream Pringles with a mug of Tae.

Passed by the chip shop earlier and said feck it. Bought a big bag of chips smothered in salt and vinegar. Lashed home and made big sandwiches with Brennan's batch loaf including the heel.

• Advertisement

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Passed by the chip shop earlier and said feck it. Bought a big bag of chips smothered in salt and vinegar. Lashed home and made big sandwiches with Brennan's batch loaf including the heel.

Can't bate the basics!

It's an actual miracle the rest of that loaf of bread survived here until it did but original dinner plan was scrapped and we just had two more slices each with chips, rashers and fried eggs.

It was like travelling back to childhood times on holiday in a caravan and not a word spoken at the table only smiles all around, not even a drink touched until the plates were empty.

That hand cut fresh white bread is awesome.

Advertisement