Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭Blut2

Thats a shame. T2's nice open central area straight upon entry is such a nice contrast to the awful winding maze of duty free in so many UK airports.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,529 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

That redirected flow has been in place for a few months now, I think it was discussed on this thread back when it first popped up.

Ah yes, it's discussed from this post onwards, back in November.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Balf

trellheim wrote: »
    T2 passenger flow after screening currently blocked and redirected to the left while a new "Beauty Area" is installed.
    I blame the wimmins and their spendy ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭trellheim

It perhaps is time to think about two taxi lanes in T2 arrivals flow. I noticed last night that the taxis could not pick up people fast enough to stop the queue growing

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

It perhaps is time to think about two taxi lanes in T2 arrivals flow. I noticed last night that the taxis could not pick up people fast enough to stop the queue growing

Same thing in T1 especially after the last bus into town. Queued for nearly 40mins for a taxi one time when flight got in just before midnight.

• Advertisement

Part of it is the way they pen the taxis away from the T2 rank. They'll radio for a bunch of taxis, 10 or so will arrive at once, then nothing for about 1-2 minutes and then another 10, and so on.

Also, it's way past time for DAA to properly formalize app pickup services, like any other airport in the world. They're clearly happy with the "Zone 18" arrangement, and that would be fine if they'd just properly signpost this as where to go for MyTaxi/Uber/whatever.

Trying to get a debit/credit card capable taxi at the T2 rank is an absolute joke - this should be a bare minimum requirement for any airport taxis.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

MJohnston wrote: »
    Part of it is the way they pen the taxis away from the T2 rank. They'll radio for a bunch of taxis, 10 or so will arrive at once, then nothing for about 1-2 minutes and then another 10, and so on.

Also, it's way past time for DAA to properly formalize app pickup services, like any other airport in the world. They're clearly happy with the "Zone 18" arrangement, and that would be fine if they'd just properly signpost this as where to go for MyTaxi/Uber/whatever.

Trying to get a debit/credit card capable taxi at the T2 rank is an absolute joke - this should be a bare minimum requirement for any airport taxis.

You still get a look of amazement from some drivers as if to say why would you want to pay by card?

I had a €50 note with me once when I got back home at the airport, so I hopped in a taxi at the rank. Got back home and it was about €21 or so fare. He said he only had €20s and coins, couldn't give me the right change somehow. I was tired and annoyed, so I just said to give me change of €25, and suddenly he had a €5 note and a €20. Hmmm, must have been a miracle!

He was a silly boy though, I was travelling for business and could expense the taxi ride, so if hadn't screwed me over, I'd have probably given him double that in a tip.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

I had a €50 note with me once when I got back home at the airport, so I hopped in a taxi at the rank. Got back home and it was about €21 or so fare. He said he only had €20s and coins, couldn't give me the right change somehow. I was tired and annoyed, so I just said to give me change of €25, and suddenly he had a €5 note and a €20. Hmmm, must have been a miracle!

He was a silly boy though, I was travelling for business and could expense the taxi ride, so if hadn't screwed me over, I'd have probably given him double that in a tip.
    I’m sorry but it 2019, I personally don’t carry cash, every taxi should take card and this should be a requirement to hold a taxi license. But alas it will be another 5 years before that becomes a thing here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    You still get a look of amazement from some drivers as if to say why would you want to pay by card?
    You get an even more incredulous look when you say you're going to pay by phone. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Locker10a wrote: »
    I’m sorry but it 2019, I personally don’t carry cash, every taxi should take card and this should be a requirement to hold a taxi license. But alas it will be another 5 years before that becomes a thing here

I remember being in taxis ten years ago that took card no problem overseas. We're well behind the curve here, and it just feels like another example of the powers that be wanting less hassle from the suppliers, who will be in their ear in a particular way, versus the service users who just get on with it.

But vis a vis Dublin airport infrastructure, there's nothing to say they couldn't demand taxis servicing their rank have the ability to take card?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Any taxi that has a mytaxi account can take card. Can't imagine there's too many left that don't

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Plenty of drivers not using any apps as well as plenty solely on Lynk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

I used mytaxi last month. At most I was waiting a minute as I hailed it when I had my bag and was on my way out through T2 arrivals. Have had far to many poor experiences using the ones from the rank for the same reasons mentioned above.

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Any taxi that has a mytaxi account can take card. Can't imagine there's too many left that don't

Have you ever tried that though? It's like pulling teeth.

Have you ever tried that though? It's like pulling teeth.

Yeah, cos they earned the fee but then have to give some away. I’ve found by the time I get to area 18, uber or mytaxi have sometimes cancelled as they seem to get moved on.

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Yeah, cos they earned the fee but then have to give some away. I’ve found by the time I get to area 18, uber or mytaxi have sometimes cancelled as they seem to get moved on.

Another sop to vested interests. Meanwhile in other airports (that have amenities like covered bus shelters and train stations) you regularly see an “App pick up area”

• Registered Users Posts: 24,883 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Nijmegen wrote: »
    Another sop to vested interests. Meanwhile in other airports (that have amenities like covered bus shelters and train stations) you regularly see an “App pick up area”

An app pick up area sounds like a great piece of thinking actually. Liking that idea. I think that could be a winner at DUB both for customers and service providers alike given the appropriate selection of pick up area. The only potential drawback I could see could be in determining the pickup area. I’d imagine there would be quite a demand for this service so space and access for vehicles and passengers could be challenging in the current layout but where there is a will...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

The problem with a pick up area is the timing. If the person to be collected is not at the pick up point, how do you manage it, do you let effectively parked vehicles build up until no one else can get in to collect, or do you move them on if the person to be collected is not at the vehicle within a very short period of time.

The danger is that the pick up area will become as bad as the T1 departure road, where taxi drivers park up (often close to the pedestrian crossing) in the middle of the 3 lanes, and wait for the passenger to arrive, and become a very annoying road block.

For me, there are 2 changes needed on the T1 set down road before too much longer, the first is that the pedestrian crossing has to be re routed, and effectively removed from the road, by going either over or under that road, and the second change would be to make the middle lane of the 3 into the through lane, with lanes 1 and 3 being the set down lanes, at present, getting in and out of Lane 1 is almost impossible at times because of stopped vehicles in Lane 2.

And yes, DAA have some serious questions to answer about the way they (mis)manage the bus areas, the present system is unpleasant, unhelpful. and completely inappropriate for the number of people that use it, having to sit for in excess of an hour at a cold, wet, exposed and inadequate shelter is no way to treat passengers, and at present, there is no easy way to avoid the issues, given the total absence of real time displays about timing, and the lamentable and frustrating inability of (some) of the bus companies to run on time.

I have watched the airport evolve for close on 30 years, and some aspects of the present situation could have been managed in a much better and more appropriate manner, but it seems that DAA want to bring even more people in and out of an already over congested and pressurised area by building office blocks in the centre of the airport, rather than plan for the future and make the airport experience a more pleasant experience for the people that it is supposed to be serving.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭trellheim

AFAIK any new DAA Taxi permit must take cards

They dont let mytaxi pickup at the rank

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,883 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I’m thinking the best way to manage it would be for the customers to scan themselves into the waiting area with their phone via an app on a device at the entrance to the waiting area. This in turn alerts the driver on their app who makes their way to pick up. No car would be given access to the pick up area without scanning themselves in past a barrier and if their customer hasn’t themselves scanned in they are not given access.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭markpb

The problem with a pick up area is the timing. If the person to be collected is not at the pick up point, how do you manage it, do you let effectively parked vehicles build up until no one else can get in to collect, or do you move them on if the person to be collected is not at the vehicle within a very short period of time.

Most airport solve this by giving 15 minutes free parking in short-term parking. When an arriving passenger clears immigration, they notify the taxi company and the driver enters the car park a few minutes later. The passenger meets the driver, they both go back to the car park and exit within the 15 minutes. This happens the world over and it doesn't cause a problem. DAA are ones making this complicated. The same applies for people being picked up by non-commercial drivers too, it's a royal pain in the ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

markpb wrote: »
    Most airport solve this by giving 15 minutes free parking in short-term parking. When an arriving passenger clears immigration, they notify the taxi company and the driver enters the car park a few minutes later. The passenger meets the driver, they both go back to the car park and exit within the 15 minutes. This happens the world over and it doesn't cause a problem. DAA are ones making this complicated. The same applies for people being picked up by non-commercial drivers too, it's a royal pain in the ass.

Drop off charges is usually why 15m is free. daa short term car parks are usually full so having spaces free cost them money.

The danger is that the pick up area will become as bad as the T1 departure road, where taxi drivers park up (often close to the pedestrian crossing) in the middle of the 3 lanes, and wait for the passenger to arrive, and become a very annoying road block.

Almost every airport I have visited in the US in particular has an app / rideshare pick up area and they work very efficiently in most instances. I can't actually tell you the last time I used a rank taxi from one of these airports over an Uber or Lyft pickup. Some of them are kerbside, and some of them are special parking zones (eg in the short term). The apps themselves have a missed pickup fee that the user must pay if they're not there and the driver has to head off. Incentivises you to use the pickup when you're there/nearly there. And a simple guide whenever you land in these airports tends to pop up when you open the app.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Drop off charges is usually why 15m is free. daa short term car parks are usually full so having spaces free cost them money.

Another option which no one seems to be considering is to have a pick up area at the long stay car park, with the (regular) buses being the way to get there. A drop off there also would be no harm, and reduce the pressure on the T1 departure road, but that would mean some real commitment to making things work reliably, which DAA seem to be reluctant to do. The present ad hoc mess is exactly that, a mess, which is only becoming more frustrating as time goes on.

Even better would be to have a monorail or similar driverless link from T1 & T2 to and from the Red car park, but that seems to be beyond their thinking ability.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

Another option which no one seems to be considering is to have a pick up area at the long stay car park, with the (regular) buses being the way to get there. A drop off there also would be no harm, and reduce the pressure on the T1 departure road, but that would mean some real commitment to making things work reliably, which DAA seem to be reluctant to do. The present ad hoc mess is exactly that, a mess, which is only becoming more frustrating as time goes on.

Even better would be to have a monorail or similar driverless link from T1 & T2 to and from the Red car park, but that seems to be beyond their thinking ability.

People getting taxis don’t want to get a short bus first though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

Change will come soon enough so long as pressure is kept up on the DAA. The land that the taxis queue up on for hours on end is far to valuable and I am sure the DAA is fully aware that the current system is less than ideal and doesn't conform to the norms of a world leading airport which is what they aspire to be.

I think there's a jump in DAA planners minds to "Our airport needs some exception from the rule that seems to work elsewhere"... In the first instance, in not having such a pickup; but then you could see them putting the zones way out whereas in many many airports they make use of either a short term parking area or do it kerbside without much hassle. Or you could just turn one of the famous bus rain zone kerbs into one. Loads of options a short walk from the terminal and plenty of operating models in other airports not dissimilar in size or facilities to Dublin to copy.

• Site Banned Posts: 25 cluane

Would a parallel Runway 16/34 be a good inclusion to the new runway? Running from the end of 10L through Dunbro down to the 2nd or 3rd last turning off 10R?

Also, somebody PLEASE tell me why the north runway is being built in asphalt and not concrete like other modern airports?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

cluane wrote: »
    Would a parallel Runway 16/34 be a good inclusion to the new runway? Running from the end of 10L through Dunbro down to the 2nd or 3rd last turning off 10R?

Also, somebody PLEASE tell me why the north runway is being built in asphalt and not concrete like other modern airports?

Concrete underneath. There are pros and cons to everything. Concrete is more expensive and repairing is bigger job. Irelands climate - better grip for aircraft when wet.

Advertisement