Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭Blut2

JCX BXC wrote: »
    It has, but other than the odd PR release the Shannon lobby against Dublin developments has been dead for over a century.

I'm very surprised at the anti-shannon sentiment here, unnecessary anger even. However it's probably well that years are moving on if some take such irrational views.

"over a century"?! The DUB runway debacle was in the late 1980s. And as other posters have mentioned, needless TATL SNN stopovers were still in operation well into the 2000s. Have a look at some of the debates in the Oireachtas surrounding the Aviation Regulation Bill, in 2000, and you'll see some intense anti-DUB lobbying by rural TDs. And, if you want to go even more recently there are still TDs lobbying for SNN to get more flights at the expense of DUB to this day, this is under 12 months ago:

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/310339/limerick-td-says-government-must-note-decline-in-shannon-airport-numbers.html
    Shedite27 wrote: »
    Ya can't just put everything on the east of the country. Dublin as a city is at breaking point until it sorts out its transport and housing issues. More flights into the regions will allow the other cities to attract more employers, and reduce the stress on Dublin

DUB isn't at breaking point, though (outside of 6am-7am takeoffs anyway - which will be solved with the new runway). And there isn't a huge amount of stress for housing in the areas around the airport that staff would preference - its not prime residential land.

Ireland just isn't big enough to justify having multiple long haul international airports. All of Belfast, Cork, Galway and Limerick are within a 3 hour drive of DUB. If DUB doesn't get a long haul flight its more likely to go to LGW or MAN than ORK or SNN unfortunately - because having lots of connection options are absolutely key in this day and age for long haul. Any other successful small sized country focuses aviation development on on one large airport for this reason. ie the Netherlands, Denmark etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

Ya can't just put everything on the east of the country. Dublin as a city is at breaking point until it sorts out its transport and housing issues. More flights into the regions will allow the other cities to attract more employers, and reduce the stress on Dublin

Airlines can put more flights into Shannon right now if they wanted but they don't want to! Dublin is the place they can make money and it's where they want to be. You can't force airlines to fly to Shannon like the Shannon stopover anymore. So what's your plan to do this? Massive subsidies?

Also Dub is at breaking point at multiple times of the day during summer, not just at the 7am time. Taxi times are outrageous at various times of the day in summer. The new runway can't come soon enough. Yet still airlines want to continue flying to Dublin and not move capacity elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,285 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Ya can't just put everything on the east of the country.

There are massive economies of scale in locating in Dublin, also vastly greater access to skilled workforces. These are the reasons cities came to exist in the first place.
    Dublin as a city is at breaking point until it sorts out its transport and housing issues.

Dublin suffers from massive under-investment in infrastructure, and always has.

I doubt you or anyone else outside Dublin will be campaigning for several billion to be spent on a metro network, but it's absolutely essential for a city of its size.
    More flights into the regions will allow the other cities to attract more employers, and reduce the stress on Dublin

You can't make passengers or airlines fly where they don't want to go. We tried that and it was highly detrimental to the country as a whole. When some amateur does it once we call it hijacking, when a government was forcing airlines and passengers every day to fly to where they didn't wan't to go we called it a stopover :)

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,379 ✭✭✭Shedite27

There are massive economies of scale in locating in Dublin, also vastly greater access to skilled workforces. These are the reasons cities came to exist in the first place.

Dublin suffers from massive under-investment in infrastructure, and always has.

I doubt you or anyone else outside Dublin will be campaigning for several billion to be spent on a metro network, but it's absolutely essential for a city of its size.
    The reason cities came into being was because of ports. A safe harbor became a place people had to go to transport goods and do business. In today's world that means airports, develop transport routes and commerce will grow.

I live in Drumcondra pal so am 100% campaigning for Metro, but also realise for Ireland to develop it needs to think beyond 1 city. I'm not damning Dublin, I'm saying the other cities need to be kept up to the standard rather than the gulf continuing to grow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Balf

I'm saying the other cities need to be kept up to the standard rather than the gulf continuing to grow
    I don't think anyone is disagreeing with that. Its more asking what the expectation is, in discussion about airports policy.

There doesn't seem to be a physical barrier to Shannon handling more traffic. Do folk expect a policy that, in some way, prevents Dublin from accepting more traffic? If not, is there anything to be said, beyond noticing that Shannon was established as a debt-free independent airport and is free to generate whatever business it can? Should local interests just stick to the knitting, and stop hostile references to Dublin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Kev11491

Off topic but currently sitting in 51st and green, 3 hours ahead of my flight. From check in to the lounge it took no more than 45mins. Just figured it's worth mentioning when T2 functions well.

Balf wrote: »
    I don't think anyone is disagreeing with that. Its more asking what the expectation is, in discussion about airports policy.

There doesn't seem to be a physical barrier to Shannon handling more traffic. Do folk expect a policy that, in some way, prevents Dublin from accepting more traffic? If not, is there anything to be said, beyond noticing that Shannon was established as a debt-free independent airport and is free to generate whatever business it can?
    Yeah I wasn't criticizing airports policy, each can do what they want (and what they can attract). My initial comments were about the post below, which seemed to suggest government policy and investment should be to just have one large airport
    Blut2 wrote: »
    The network effect is extremely strong with airports, which combined with Ireland's small size, means (unfortunately for SNN/ORK) the country would be best served by focusing as much investment, and as many flights as possible, into one main airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Kev11491 wrote: »
    Off topic but currently sitting in 51st and green, 3 hours ahead of my flight. From check in to the lounge it took no more than 45mins. Just figured it's worth mentioning when T2 functions well.
    I think T2 functions quite well the vast majority of the time. As an anecdote, I almost never buy fast-track security in T2, but I always buy it in T1.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Discussion coming up on Today FM with Matt Cooper about whether the planned investment in Dublin Airport constitutes "too much investment into one airport" and also about rail access to the airport.

Should be fun....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,303 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Shn99 wrote: »
    I’m not disputing that, but the original post suggested that we should stop wasting time and energy on LH from Cork and Shannon. I dont see a reason to as for the most party they are commercially viable and compliment local economic development. Should these flights be axed tomorrow and moved to Dublin? I think not. However lets get back on topic

Well no, flights to near destinations in Europe are what regional airports are for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

cgcsb wrote: »
    Well no, flights to near destinations in Europe are what regional airports are for.

There are exceptions, and Shannon is one.

IngazZagni wrote: »
    Also Dub is at breaking point at multiple times of the day during summer, not just at the 7am time. Taxi times are outrageous at various times of the day in summer. The new runway can't come soon enough. Yet still airlines want to continue flying to Dublin and not move capacity elsewhere.

The solution to that is modern facilities at Dublin, an appropriately sized runway and a rail link for example, which every other airport of it's size in Europe has. Starving Dublin of these basic things and forcing flights to regional airports is not a solution.

Kev11491 wrote: »

I fly through Dublin maybe 10 times a year, always find it a breeze. One of the nicer airports. Worst part is when you arrive and there's no public transport other than the quaint double decker 16 bus via Beaumont. Even Rejkavik has better public transport access.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

marno21 wrote: »
    Discussion coming up on Today FM with Matt Cooper about whether the planned investment in Dublin Airport constitutes "too much investment into one airport" and also about rail access to the airport.

Should be fun....

Went pretty much as expected, everyone complaining that Dublin is full and congested and saying the regionals should get their fair share. Lots of complaining but no solutions or realistic proposals put forward of course...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Went pretty much as expected, everyone complaining that Dublin is full and congested and saying the regionals should get their fair share. Lots of complaining but no solutions or realistic proposals put forward of course...

Let’s regulate the heck out of the industry and return to the good old days of Shannon stopovers and £250 fares to London. Yay.

cgcsb wrote: »
    I fly through Dublin maybe 10 times a year, always find it a breeze. One of the nicer airports. Worst part is when you arrive and there's no public transport other than the quaint double decker 16 bus via Beaumont. Even Rejkavik has better public transport access.
    The biggest bus station in Ireland is in the airport.

There are far more busses than Rejkavik.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

A series of rainy windswept bus stops hardly constitutes a Bus Station, imagine the private Galway New Coach station and then transplant that into Dublin Airport, that should be how the Airport bus services are done, and get rid of double deckers except maybe for local services like the no. 41, the 747 bus service being a Double Decker is a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Balf

My initial comments were about the post below, which seemed to suggest government policy and investment should be to just have one large airport
    I suppose it depends what we mean by a large airport. Could any other Irish city support an airport with 30 million passengers?

Should we also clarify that State investment is concentrated on the smaller regionals. Dublin Airport investment is commercially funded. Government doesn't pay for investment in Dublin, although there's no shortage of Ministers at the photo op.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

How are people flying for work into Dublin not just taking the aircoach?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

I was there last week after arriving in Terminal 2. My bus was meant to arrive at area 19. I could not find area 19. I found 18, 20 and 21. I asked a driver of the Blue Car Park Bus where the Quick Park Bus stopped. He pointed me in the right direction (outside Terminal 1). I got on the Bus and there was a sign on the bus saying "We do not pick up at Terminal 2". No signs anywhere else to tell me this :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,059 ✭✭✭✭L1011

ozzy jr wrote: »
    I was there last week after arriving in Terminal 2. My bus was meant to arrive at area 19. I could not find area 19. I found 18, 20 and 21. I asked a driver of the Blue Car Park Bus where the Quick Park Bus stopped. He pointed me in the right direction (outside Terminal 1). I got on the Bus and there was a sign on the bus saying "We do not pick up at Terminal 2". No signs anywhere else to tell me this :rolleyes:

Anyone catching the Quickpark bus *from* the airport will have caught it *to* the airport and should have noticed the signs, audio announcements etc on the way.

theguzman wrote: »
    A series of rainy windswept bus stops hardly constitutes a Bus Station, imagine the private Galway New Coach station and then transplant that into Dublin Airport, that should be how the Airport bus services are done, and get rid of double deckers except maybe for local services like the no. 41, the 747 bus service being a Double Decker is a joke.

The comment I was reply to said that Dublin Airport only has the 16A - clearly has a lot more than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

L1011 wrote: »
    Anyone catching the Quickpark bus *from* the airport will have caught it *to* the airport and should have noticed the signs, audio announcements etc on the way.

Not at 4am I didn't :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,593 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The comment I was reply to said that Dublin Airport only has the 16A - clearly has a lot more than that.

Given that the 16a hasn’t existed since Network Direct was implemented in 2010 that isn’t surprising!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭trellheim

Lets not forget that DAA charge a hefty fee for buses to pick up at the airport. As far as public infrastructure goes to encourage modes other than taxis and private cars ... it doesn't.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

trellheim wrote: »
    Lets not forget that DAA charge a hefty fee for buses to pick up at the airport. As far as public infrastructure goes to encourage modes other than taxis and private cars ... it doesn't.

Very true, I've used buses to get to and from the airport on a number of occasions over the last while, and if I had an alternative I'd use it, there are NO facilities to make a wait at the airport endurable, and if the bus concerned is running late, then that just makes it worse. To add aggravation to that, if you decide to wait inside the car park section under the multi storey car park, ( to avoid the worst of the weather, even though it's primitive in the extreme) there is a good chance that you won't get to the stop before the bus goes, especially for the 109A, which is one of the furthest stops from the car park. There are no displays to show the times or stands. At this stage, there should be under cover facilities for passengers to wait in, and reliable and accurate displays for the buses in the same way as there are for flights.

DAA have a lot to answer for with their absolute neglect of the bus users, there are quite a few of them, but the level of service and support for them is dire.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

......... and get rid of double deckers except maybe for local services like the no. 41, the 747 bus service being a Double Decker is a joke.

Im not sure what you have against double deckers.

But the lack of decent shelter from wind and rain is an issue all over Ireland for bus and train users. Its a terrible welcome fro new arrivals waiting on buses in our wonderfully sunny climate..... :rolleyes:

DAA have a lot to answer for with their absolute neglect of the bus users, there are quite a few of them, but the level of service and support for them is dire.

DAA do not consider airline passengers ( or, indeed, any airport personnel ) to be their customers. I have said this before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Bsal

Video on how ATC are preparing for the new runway

• Advertisement

T2 passenger flow after screening currently blocked and redirected to the left while a new "Beauty Area" is installed. As I had suspected someone in DAA said " well we cant have all that empty space" - remember that nice open area ... have to force the sheep down the perfume aisles . I am surprised its took them this long to mess it up.

Advertisement