Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bliain Faoi Thrí

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

Back training again as hamstring had felt loosened out. A sh*te session, if there ever was a sh*te session, however. For starters, I probably shouldn't have eaten an enchillada, wedges and pancakes for lunch beforehand! Hail stones and a bloody freezing breeze when I turned back west after halfway didn't help either :mad:.

Was scheduled to do intervals today but decided to switch to the tempo run to see how things would go. Was to do it at 7:11 pace but after taking the first mile handy to warm up, I knew that wasn't going to happen. First run this year where I didn't manage to stay under an 8 minute average. Back to the physio tomorrow.

Distance: 6 miles
    Weather: Cold, hailstones
    Surface: Road
    Time: 50:29, 8:25 pace

Went to the physio again on last Wednesday, she noted that the hamstring injury had left one leg slightly longer than another, and the kneecap slightly out of kilter. She put those right, and showed me some dynamic stretches for before my run (as I don't do any stretching, bar using The Stick, beforehand).

I was to do a turbo session on the bike this morning but didn't get up :o, so decided to chance the hamstring at lunchtime. I could definitely feel it during the run, but it didn't hold me back and, after stopping to stretch it after a mile and a half, I finished feeling good. Hopefully, that's the end of it. It's still tight but just a case now of keeping it stretched.

Being able to do a decent run today felt great, the day was gorgeous, it was great to be out again!

Distance: 5 miles
    Surface: Road and shoreline
    Weather: A beautiful day! Sunny, cool and not a puff of wind
    Time: 38:08 (7:38 average pace)

Short lunchtime run today, 4 miles. Tried new shoes today, used a gift voucher to buy a pair of Asics Noosa in Elverys (went in to buy the DS Trainer but they didn't have them in my size, Noosas are built on same chassis apparently). I tried the shoes on the treadmill instore, felt very snug and comfortable. All good, except for the shocking colour scheme! I need to get these shoes dirty soon as they are WAY too bright!
    prodimg.php?s=n&i=31334
    Intend to use them for shorter runs and the occasional race...

Distance: 4 miles
    Surface: Road and shoreline
    Weather: Cloudy, cold, no breeze
    Time: No watch today, so don't know! Would guess around 7:40ish pace

• Registered Users Posts: 17 24pintsman

Pokertoe.

I think they might be a bit overstated for a woman of Lady Gaga's class... ;)

First LSR in quite a while yesterday, and nothing but a series of niggles these days. Yesterday, it was the glute, a sharp pain, but at least it didn't seem to affect my running, and it was gone pretty much once I had stopped. Been a while since I ran anything over six miles, so ten miles felt like a struggle. I have fallen well behind schedule in my training... Lovely day, though. Was working so the run was a nice extended lunch break

Distance: 10 miles
    Surface: Pavement and bog road
    Weather: Nippy but nice
    Time: 1:16:59 (7:42 pace)

Working again today, so went for a quick cycle at lunchtime. Nineteen miles, tried to keep the cadence up and put some work in on the hills. I sound like a broken record, but I really need to put more bike work in. Maybe when the clock changes/weather warms up/the council fits the potholes :rolleyes:.

A friend of mine, a former pro cyclist, fitted some aero bars for me during the week. Fortunately for the team he used to cycle for that he wasn't the mechanic as I wasn't too far into the cycle when one of the bars came loose! They do seem to make a difference though, but a pain in the ass to transport the bike in the car since I had them fitted. Considering doing the Predator Duathlon in Clarinbridge next weekend, dependent on injury and my wife not giving birth between now and then!!

Interval training yesterday for the first time in aaaaaaaaagesss. One mile warmup, 3 x 1 miles at 6:23 pace, 400m rest intervals, one mile+ cooldown.

Distance: 6.1 miles
    Weather: Delightful:)
    Time: Can't remember overall pace (don't have watch at hand) but the 3 intervals were at 6:30, 6:22 and 6:16.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 24pintsman

'A quick cycle during lunchtime'... 19 miles???? Jaysus, you could have had your lunch in town with that distance...

24pintsman wrote: »
    'A quick cycle during lunchtime'... 19 miles???? Jaysus, you could have had your lunch in town with that distance...

Reading this post, I wondered who would post analysis on cycling, despite being so evidently clueless on the subject :D ... It was then I noted the name, 24pintsman. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you Big Bren, the man who strives to drink only 24 pints in 2010... http://aroundtheyearin24pints.blogspot.com/

See you in Craughwell, sans bike!

• Advertisement

I think my father has become a fan of multi-sport spectating after the Rás na Nollag duathlon at home, so he volunteered to drive me down to Clarinbridge on Sunday for the Predator Duathlon (4k/13k/4k). Putting the bike in the back of his estate makes a big difference to jamming it in the back of my car, and I think I need to get some sort of rack as I'll only end up damaging the bike if I keep trying to shoehorn it into my boot.

A cold morning in Kilcornan woods, until the breeze died away and the sun came out. I met up with three colleagues, competing under the trysport.ie name (a loose ensemble as opposed to any proper club as yet). This was my first Triathlon Ireland event, and the long race briefing beforehand seemed more like a series of threats than a briefing. There are an awful lot of rules to break, and an awful lot of punishments to go with the rule-breaking!

I decided to approach the start of the race with a "hell for leather" approach, seeing as the run was short enough. The race started about 20 minutes late, and the 136 participants had run about 200 metres, only to find ourselves in the driveway of a private house. An errant sign and a lack of marshals on the first corner made for the slightly farcical sight of a lot of runners looking for the right race route. Eventually, someone had the gumption to shout “restart”, and we made our way back to the start.

When things finally started, the run route passed through a tight forest path, a really nice and adventurous beginning to the race. We were led out onto a backroad then, and into the forest again, this time on a slightly muddy logging road. I was really feeling the run early on, definitely outside my comfort zone, and already dreading the second running leg! The run came out onto the road briefly and then onto a leg-sapping boggy grass area. I was glad to get to the bike...

For the bike section, I decided to experiment with the shoes being in the pedals beforehand, and so pulled off my runners, grabbed the bike and ran. I had only practised getting my feet into the shoes while the bike was on the turbo, but real life is a whole lot different and I fairly stuttered my way into the shoes. Once I got going, I was okay, although I notice, using aerobars, that I really need to concentrate more on keeping a straight line and not to be weaving all over the place like a drunk cyclist! I also need to be more aware of upcoming corners, as I only saw the third (of four) corner late and had to brake hard, killing a whole load of momentum. In a continuing theme of experimenting, as I was approaching T2, I decided to take my feet out of the shoes while on the bike, but came to a shuddering halt when one of the shoes rolled back and hit the road. Fortunately, I stayed on the bike but four people passed me almost immediately!

The only duathlon I had done previous to this was a run/bike duathlon, so I had no real idea of what was in store for the second run. It was definitely tougher than I expected. My father was at the transition area, yelling some sort of encouragement. Apparently, I swore back at him! Early into the run, I was suffering. I wanted to puke, “go to the toilet”, and really wanted just to stop. I don’t recall feeling as uncomfortable in a race before. Then, out of nowhere, I heard someone shout that they were looking forward to reading the race report on boards, “Catweazle”, he shouts as explanation! Apparently, my father was chatting to one of the stewarts, who turned out to be Catweazle! Anyway, cheers Catweazle, as wondering how the hell you recognised me distracted me from my pain, and about half a mile into the run, I found some rythym again. I overtook one guy in the forest, but hearing him on my shoulder for much of the rest of the run, there was no letup and I was fairly shattered by the time I finished.

I have no idea what time I did as I set the Garmin on Multisport and screwed it up in the first transition I think. All I know is that I definitely went out harder than I normally would and felt it. I wouldn’t be at the level that a lot of these lads were at and trying to mix it with them was a bit silly, considering my training volume (or lack of). That said, I felt great after and was on a bit of a high.

The bike section was a real education, and I have a lot of figuring out, practise and training to do there. According to the bike computer, I averaged 18.1 miles an hour and was all over the place, technique-wise. I definitely need to concentrate more when using aerobars! As for the second run, I would imagine some bike to run sessions would help there, but I really felt the pain yesterday.

No results online yet, so I don’t know where I finished, I think it was somewhere in the mid-teens. Where ever I finished, I was bumped up two places as the first two home were disqualified for taking the junior route instead of the senior route. I have to say that I felt very sorry for them (Ruaidhrí Geraghty and another lad), as they hardly took the wrong route intentionally. I don’t know the in’s and out’s of the story and would be reluctant to comment too much, therefore, but I think some better marshalling would have sorted out the chaotic start and the winners being disqualified.

I had a chat with Catweazle afterwards, it was nice to meet a fellow A/R/Tiste in the flesh. He’s going well in training, anyone who goes out for a twenty mile run and ends up almost running a marathon by mistake! I met up with my trysport cohorts afterwards, we all enjoyed the day, the running route was lovely, and generally a good day out! Fair play to Predator Tri Club for organising it. Craughwell 10 next Sunday, and then, I need to put a bit of mileage in place for the Connemara Half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Sub430

Mid-teen finish out of 136 - fair play. Top 10 only around the corner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Ha it was funny enough your fathers reaction when he was telling me that his son from Carraroe was in the race. Hows his missus has she popped yet, I asked?? I would say he was wondering how the hell I knew about that.

You didnt look too bad when you went by me, although hanging on to Geraghty and Scully will take anyone out of their comfort zone

Where did you get the results from sub 4.30??

catweazle wrote: »
    Where did you get the results from sub 4.30??

Just from what the man himself said..

No results online yet, so I don’t know where I finished, I think it was somewhere in the mid-teens.

Sub430 wrote: »
    Just from what the man himself said..

No results online yet, so I don’t know where I finished, I think it was somewhere in the mid-teens.

:eek::eek::eek: I was going on hearsay after the race, this could turn out to be embarrassing yet :eek::eek::eek:

Results online, 14th, phew! Must remember not to speculate on results again and keep my mouth shut until I know for sure!!

• Advertisement

You must have finished strong you were 17th going by me

I think it was disqualifications wot did it for me, rather than a strong finish! Overtaking one guy in the forest, and Ruaidhrí agus Shane Scully getting a DQF would account for me ending in 14th, as opposed to 17th...

The dreaded intervals today, but not so bad as the day was absolutely beautiful! It seems the days are getting nicer and nicer (and longer and longer!)

Went for a new route from work today as was looking for a bit of flat road for 400m repeats. I went down the road to Minna airport but won't be going there again... Was chased by a dog, not sure of the breed but looked like it should be muzzled according to law :eek:. Yikes, it did bring down my first interval time though!!

The intervals were 10 x 400m, to be done at 6:00 pace. Was there or thereabouts on average; 5:47, 6:00, 5:55, 6:06, 6:12, 5:55, 5:51, 5:56, 5:43.

Distance: 5.62 miles
    Weather: A beautiful spring day!
    Surface: Road and pavement
    Time: 42:09, 7:30 average pace

First midweek morning cycle this year on the road as opposed to the turbo (actually, first midweek cycle in a long time :o). Fifteen mile loop around Muiceanach Idir Dhá Sháile (take that, Newtownmountkennedy!). A quiet road with a few hills thrown in. Lovely morning, but I need to wear heavier gloves and socks on these frosty mornings, as I was freezing afterwards. Hope to continue these morning cycles, nice way to start the day, and less traumatic than morning running!

Knocked out of the cup tonight at quarter final stage. At least that's the end of the soccer now, and the fear of injuries that goes with it...

• Advertisement

I met my regular race buddy, Brendan, in Craughwell, me coming from home, Bren coming from his inlaws in Louth. Both of us were using the day as figure-outer for the Conamara half, although Bren was resetting his targets as he was feeling a bit ropey after a cold.

Straightaway on arrival in Craughwell, it was apparent that this new event was extremely well-organised, from the parking to signage to number pickup. It would continue that way all day.

The start was a kilometre "warm-up" from the number pickup location, the start set out according to time targets. My Garmin was struggling for a signal at the start, and when it did sort itself out, it seemed to me to be a bit off-kilter at the start as it was indicating a low to mid six mile pace. It didn't feel like that kind of pace but sure enough, my first mile was 6:28.

My plan was to take the McMillan suggestion coming off the Tuam 8k time, which gave me a 7:05 pace for the 10 miler. But after finding myself under 7, I decided I would see if I could keep at sub-7 pace. At about four miles, I found myself slipping into 7 something pace, so I decided to stay at about that and pick it up again at around 5 miles. The hill at 5.5 miles tested that plan though!

At about eight miles, I felt my chest tightening up, much as I felt at about 17 miles during the DCM. It passed after a while, but I think it may be something I need to check out. Eight and half miles, and my lungs were on fire. At this stage, it was a case of looking at the watch every now and again, and trying to keep the legs moving at under 7 pace. The Forerunner lost signal entirely at about 9.7 miles (my cue to upgrade from the 205?;)) so I focussed on trying to pick a few people off at the end. I wasn't expecting a sprint finish at the end, though (lack of race experience and lack of sprinting ability!) and I think that everyone I had just passed overtook me at the finish line!

My watch said 68:31, the race clock said 68:38. I was delighted with the time and the continuing novelty of running quicker than expected. I was telling Brendan after the race, that this time last year, I wouldn't have believed I would be capable of running 10 miles at sub-8 pace, let alone sub-7. I met a few people afterwards, Eoin from Inis Oirr who is also doing the Conamara half, and Catweazle, using the 10 miler as a tune-up for the Connemarathon. No pressure, Catweazle, but McMillan suggest a marathon time of 3:30 for you, on the basis of your 10 mile time! I presume Mr McMillan hasn't seen the Hell of the West!

Congrats to Craughwell AC on organising a fantastic event on a closed road, and with enough food and hot drinks afterwards to feed Galway city!

Miles times were: 6:28, 6:46, 6:50, 7:04, 6:51, 6:55, 6:48, 6:44, 6:53, no time for mile 10 as Garmin went on the blink.

Great running Ronan, it probably made sense to have a go at sub 70 with it being just 5 seconds a mile under.

I typed that result into McMillian myself and laughed when I saw 3.30. There is no way on earth I could hold two 1.45 half marathons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Well done Ronan. Always nice to exceed expectations! :cool:

catweazle - 3:30 well within grasp based on your times.

How accurate do you guys find MacMillan? I'm starting to have my doubts about it......might eat my hat here but I think it under estimates. :eek:

Well done ronan, you're flying.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Well done Rónan. Great running.... and not a baby in sight ;)

I've only started looking at McMillan recently and presumed it overestimated. It underestimated the 10 miler, it seems, but I think it would be tougher to maintain the predicted paces as you go out into longer distances. I know for a fact that there is no way I would be able to run the 3:11:54 it predicts for me on the back of yesterday. It took me five marathon attempts to come under 4, and that was a "just about" struggle last October. It does give me confidence to attempt 3:30ish though :eek:. If nothing else, McMillan is useful for giving you a race plan, and the confidence to try paces that you might have thought beyond you...

littlebug wrote: »
    Well done Rónan. Great running.... and not a baby in sight ;)

Cheers, littlebug. Going for a scan tomorrow where we'll get a "one way or the other" date! Going from busy to very busy is just around the corner!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Well done Ronan...on yesterdays race and the Duathlon. A return for the hard work is what its all about. Keep it goin and good luck with the babython :D

Hey Ronan we made the website, easy knowing it was at the start as I wouldnt have been near you otherwise

First row third picture

http://www.craughwellac.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=604&Itemid=70

Hey Ronan we made the website, easy knowing it was at the start as I wouldnt have been near you otherwise

First row third picture

http://www.craughwellac.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=604&Itemid=70

I was wondering how come I didn't see you at the time, until I noticed that I'm so focussed I've my eyes closed. By the way, they are some seriously skimpy shorts on 335...

• Advertisement

The Babython is over! My wife gave birth to a 7lb, 2 ounce boy this evening. Our second boy, although this lad has the (mis)fortune of having his Dad's red hair! Both are well, and the alcohol-free year challenge should see me in better condition going into hospital tomorrow, compared to 20 months ago...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Congratulations! Great news.

Great news, congratulations, we had our scan last week so our first is due in September!

Great news, congratulations, we had our scan last week so our first is due in September!

That's great news, Sub430, hope it all goes smoothly. Best of luck, it's a lifechanger, but a good lifechanger!

Woke up this morning alone in the house, weird! The eldest (doesn't sound right for someone who is only a year and eight months!) stayed with his Mamó last night, so I took the opportunity to head out for a run before heading into hospital.

I could feel last night's celebratory midnight snackbox and non-alco Erdinger still sitting in the stomach but at least the head was nice and clear. I met the Rith 2010 relay on my travels, they were pulling out of An Cheathrú Rua with a large cortege and a bunch of running schoolkids for company. It looked great. A friend sitting in a marshal's car stuck his hand out the window and shouted Comhghairdeachas. Gave him a confused high five, only after did I figure out that he probably met my father in the pub last night and heard our good news.

The run was a 3 x 1600m interval, second half was against a stiff breeze, and with Craughwell still in the legs, I was well off the pace. Target was 6:23, intervals were 6:22, 6:45 and 7:08.

No matter, I'm finishing my porridge and coffee now, and heading in to see Mamaí and Cóil! Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Distance: 5.5 miles
    Weather: Overcast and drizzly
    Surface: Road (I think I need to drop the Surface category, it's always bloody road!)
    Time: 41:06, 7:28 average pace

Congrats Ronan, it was probably asking too much of her to get in another race this weekend. A ginger this time, maybe he will be the one that gets your running genes as well ;)

Comhghairdeacheas Rónan :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Congrats ronan

Congrats Ronan, it was probably asking too much of her to get in another race this weekend. A ginger this time, maybe he will be the one that gets your running genes as well ;)

There's actually a history of good runners on his mother's side, so I sure as hell hope he doesn't end up getting my running genes! The red hair will be enough of a cross to bear :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Heartiest congratulations to you all. enjoy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

Congrats on the new baby Ronan.

A combination of the new addition and a chest infection has meant it's been over a week since I've been running. It's been a fairly interuppted running schedule for a while now, looking back through the log, it's been the end of January since I ran over ten miles, which is not ideal Connemara half preparation.

I'm going to aim for twelve miles next Saturday. Today's run was a five miler. More planning has to go into training from now on, as my wife had a C section and I can't head out leaving the new baby and the 1 and a half year old with her, as the older lad is liable to jump up enthusiastically on Mam and baby! Today, we headed over to Spiddal for lunch, and for an excuse to get out of the house, and stopped at the in-laws on the way home, so I went out for my run from there. Nice run, but had to stop a few times as the chest was still very clogged up.

Distance: 5:05 miles
    Weather: Sunny and warm
    Surface: About two miles on the shore, and 3 miles on bog road
    Time: 37:36 (average pace 7:27)

My half marathon programme prescribes a 13, 14 and 15 miler, but with a 12 miler done at the end of January and nothing longer than 10 done since, and with Conamara coming up fast, I thought I had better put in an LSR before the big day.

Unfortunately, on Saturday, a mixture of baby visitors and dinner at my parents house meant I ran out of time and so my 13 miler turned into a 6.5 miler. A lovely day for a run though, it felt great to be out again.

Distance: 6:61 miles
    Weather: Sunny, with a chilly breeze
    Time: 49:17 (average pace 7:28)

No 13 miles, so I set out yesterday from Ros a Mhíl on what was a surprisingly cold day. The wind was cold, the rain was cold, and I was cold! I headed out the Seanaféistín road, a lovely road to run, but all uphill and right into the easterly wind. The pace was relatively slow and my legs felt really heavy, but I didn't mind too much as it was a case of putting in the miles more than anything else.

By the time I got to halfway, I was running an 8:19 average, the downhill running and the wind to my back got that down to 8:03 by the time I got home. I felt wrecked after, running into the heavy wind and rain left me with two bleeding nipples, and a bleeding toenail from pedicure neglect!

Glad to have it done, eight miles next weekend and then it's out to Leenane...

Distance: 13:03 miles
    Weather: Windy and cold
    Time: 1:44:53 (average pace 8:03)

1:44 for a training run half marathon - good going.
    Is 1:40 still your goal for the half?

Great that you're back out there Rónan. I don't know you're how you're doing it with a new baby in the house!
    I had a drive up the Seanaféistín road last summer (with time to kill after missing the boat). Lovely scenery but very hilly and I can only imagine how horrible it was in "that" weather yesterday. Fair play!

• Advertisement

1:44 for a training run half marathon - good going.
    Is 1:40 still your goal for the half?

I reckon 1:40 is now my minimal goal and that I will take a tilt at 1:35. Not sure that Conamara is the half for such lofty ambitions though, but I think I'll have it as an aspirational target and see how things go on the day. What's your target half, Kildare?

littlebug wrote: »
    Great that you're back out there Rónan. I don't know you're how you're doing it with a new baby in the house!
    I had a drive up the Seanaféistín road last summer (with time to kill after missing the boat). Lovely scenery but very hilly and I can only imagine how horrible it was in "that" weather yesterday. Fair play!

Cheers, littlebug. As it happens, the new baby is remarkably docile, we're keeping our fingers crossed that he'll stay like that! My wife is on newborn duty, and I'm taking care of the older lad, so I'm lucky that we have plenty of relatives around, on both sides of the family, that don't mind taking him for an hour or two while Daddy heads out to clear his lungs and head!

1.40 minimal goal........Pish Posh I would fancy having a good cut at that myself. You are hedging!

1.35 needs to be your minimal goal, I have never ran Connamara so I will make allowances but sub 1.30 would be on for you on a flattish half judging from your Craughwell time.

(Above pressure build up is revenge for 3.30 marathon comment you made previously)

ronanmac wrote: »
    I reckon 1:40 is now my minimal goal and that I will take a tilt at 1:35. Not sure that Conamara is the half for such lofty ambitions though, but I think I'll have it as an aspirational target and see how things go on the day. What's your target half, Kildare?

Stop sandbagging. 1:35 without breaking sweat ;)
    Yep, Kildare for me.

1.40 minimal goal........Pish Posh I would fancy having a good cut at that myself. You are hedging!

1.35 needs to be your minimal goal, I have never ran Connamara so I will make allowances but sub 1.30 would be on for you on a flattish half judging from your Craughwell time.

(Above pressure build up is revenge for 3.30 marathon comment you made previously)

Dearest Catweazle,
    My initial response to your inspirational and motivational words were, unfortunately, rendered illegible by boards.ie's swear-word filter. I am flattered that you believe I can run a half marathon at a faster pace than a recent ten miler, and will do my best to impersonate Sammy Kipketer while passing through Maam.

Of course, if I now fail to run the Conamara half under 1:30, I will be emotionally devasted and this, of course, will have serious implications for any future running I may or may not be capable of doing. That the same race last year was my first time ever to run a half in under two hours (and that only by four minutes) is, of course, inconsequential.

Of course, I have no doubt about your own stated ability to break 1:40. That would be entirely in keeping with the McMillan target of the 3:30 marathon we all hope to see smashed on April 11.

Looking forward to your heroics,
    Mise le meas,
    r :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement