Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very Warm, Thunderstorms, Flash flooding - Friday through weekend

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Storm deflecting? Going a bit to our west?

314943.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Red Nissan wrote: »
    Storm deflecting? Going a bit to our west?

314943.jpg

Looking at the satellite images it certainly looks to be tracking more to the NW than it was looking like earlier.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

whitebriar wrote: »
    :eek: :eek: :D:D
    Bring it on I say:)

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Strangegravy

If you watch the Hirlam model it has the initial heavy precipitation brushing the south/south west coast alright, but then followed by a strong "squall line" looking storm coming up over most of Ireland over night.

http://www.ilmateenistus.ee/ilm/prognoosid/mudelprognoosid/euroopa/?lang=en#layers/sadufaas

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Supercell wrote: »
    Looking at the satellite images it certainly looks to be tracking more to the NW than it was looking like earlier.

The area of heavy rain to affect the country is not in view there yet I think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

Supercell wrote: »
    Thats the western flank though which has been reasonably well flagged to be doing that?
    If whats down towards Cornwall now takes the same trajectory ie NW by North,then basically Waterford through wexford then Wicklow and Dublin and points inland from there will hear the doors and windows shaking overnight?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,063 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

2139 update from met eireann
    Very heavy thundery rain will gradually extend northwards to most parts overnight (much of Ulster holding dry though), with the high risk of local flooding and hail in parts too. Munster and Leinster will see the heaviest of the rain, which will be relentless in parts, causing treacherous conditions and possibly some disruption. A mild and humid night, with lowest temperatures of 12 to 15 degrees Celsius. Becoming rather breezy later too, in a freshening easterly wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,447 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Edit already posted.

extremely heavy rain off the south coast at midnight

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭chipsdave

Flashes here now off the SW Coast causing the Holiday crowds to scream but NO thunder.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭The Peanut

Just outside Clonakilty. Strangely calm and dead. Just lightning.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭chipsdave

The Peanut wrote: »
    Just outside Clonakilty. Strangely calm and dead. Just lightning.

There are massive flashes SW towards the stags rocks west of Galley Head

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭aisling86

My mother is updating me from eagle point in bantry lots of people gathering out the point watching lots of lightening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭The Peanut

chipsdave wrote: »
    There are massive flashes SW towards the stags rocks west of Galley Head

Yes, it's very impressive. Eerie without thunder or rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Longboard

0Inw4Sa.jpg

Just snapped this in rosscarbery,co cork. (sorry about the size!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

aisling86 wrote: »
    My mother is updating me from eagle point in bantry lots of people gathering out the point watching lots of lightening

Well with no telly or internet there's little else to do down there! :p

The body of this squally area does look like its drifting west with a thin tail for the bulk of the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

The Peanut wrote: »
    Yes, it's very impressive. Eerie without thunder or rain.
    The thunder is there its just it cant be heard from peoples vantage point yet but soon soon it will

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Wow!!!

Just worth pointing out that its 21 degrees at Shannon on the 10pm reports and 19 degrees at Knock and let me tell you there are not many days in the year knock airport gets up to 19 degrees let alone 10pm at night!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

Feels chilly here now with a strengthening easterly breeze
    Doesn't feel thundery at all

16c

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Scilly

BsxlwQ-CUAAywzx.jpg

Cornwall

BsxX2VCIQAAFF38.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭seanaway

Waterford all quiet and temperature nice and warm. No rain, wind, thunder... nada..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

Convection around the Cornwall area seems to be dying off according to latest sat

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭seanaway

They're putting those new pylons up quick arent they?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    Not sure if I just heard thunder in cork city or the sound of an airplane landing in cork airport,:confused:

I ran out too, plane I think. Bet ye I'll sleep through the whole thing again like last time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

It's started to rain here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,879 ✭✭✭pauldry

extremely heavy rain off the south coast at midnight

Don't think thats right but I'm staying up

20c in sligo at 10pm

today's temperatures

900 13c
    1100 16c
    1400 18c
    1700 21c
    1900 23c
    2200 20c

strange day with a really warm plume of air and warm sunshine coming at 1600 after some drizzle here in Sligo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Red Nissan wrote: »
    I ran out too, plane I think. Bet ye I'll sleep through the whole thing again like last time?

No no absolutely not. I'm setting my alarm & leaving the windows & curtains open. I will b awake for this.

& yes, it was planes landing in cork airport, never heard them that loud landing before

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Aimsir

Cork City South warm no lightining

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,727 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    No no absolutely not. I'm setting my alarm & leaving the windows & curtains open. I will b awake for this.

& yes, it was planes landing in cork airport, never heard them that loud landing before

Shouldn't windows be closed during a thunderstorm?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement