Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very Warm, Thunderstorms, Flash flooding - Friday through weekend

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,324 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

First radar returns showing up on the raintoday.co.uk site, looking like fireworks later for the south coast, hopefully one or two rumbles further north too!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭pad199207

IF these storms still possess the energy and sferic count when they reach Ireland it won't be just a coastal affair.

Time will tell

Fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Video

Netweathers radar is down... what a time to lose it! better get it back soon

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

Plenty of condensation on my can of Heineken,dead cert for thunderstorms,game on!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Will it hit Dublin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

What time roughly should we expect some action on South coast? I need to collect my parents from the train station around 9 - eeeek don't want to be driving in those conditions!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Getting hazy here in cork city, & its roasting. Bring on the fun

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Lady_North1

in Kerry on holiday. Glenbeigh to be exact. What are the chances of thunder here? always wanted to be here during a storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

I was going to make the 5/6 hour trip down to Hook Head this evening but can't get anyone to come along with me. Hope the show is great for you guys along the south coast - make sure and get plenty of pictures!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Just a reminder to people to watch the forecast after the six one news on Rte 1 in about 10 minutes for the latest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭vickers209

Notice a sea fog looming on the coast around wicklow head

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    i'll believe it when i see it and hear it.

Absolutely, MT already suggests that the storm front splits to our east and west ~ :rolleyes:

Red Nissan wrote: »
    Absolutely, MT already suggests that the storm front splits to our east and west ~ :rolleyes:

:(:(:( the cork lightening shield seriously sucks

• Registered Users Posts: 23,494 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Do some honestly think there are a bunch of mystic megs here going to tell them whether it's going to rain in their back garden and at what time?

Toward midnight the storms or heavy rain will be on the south coast and will then move north through the early hours as showery pulses. The nature of this is that downpours can be very local and random. Some will get great entertainment and lose sleep and some will be disappointed. Nobody can say any more than this. Most places in a line roughly from Meath to Galway south have a proper chance of seeing a thunderstorm overnight but not everywhere will.

That's part of the craic of this though. You just don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Nothing spectacular on the forecast just now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Approaching

314935.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

it is getting a bit cloudy here now, a bit of wind starting to shake the branches of trees, it was nice and sunny till 20 minuets ago,
    at least we know,
    forewarned, equals forearmed, as we have those parasols in gardens, so taking them down,

at least roof was fixed a week ago so that has settled well, had to wait for that fixing due to the builders being busy with all the homes like mine that had been damaged in the February storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,350 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Would say 0100-0300h for south coast and 0400-0700h for Dublin to Clare.

I do expect two activity centres with some kind of a break between them but that might be further east than Cork city, anyway some chance for almost all locations to see lightning.

Will post an update in the forecast thread around 9-10 p.m. as it should be more clear how this might evolve once it tangles with Cornwall around 8 p.m.

Optimistic for widespread thunder and lightning given the very high dew points being advected north, earlier these were 20-21 C in Brittany. This indicates potential energy and with the increasing inflow of surface sea-cooled northeast winds this could assist with uplift against the Wicklow Mountains.

Arklow around 0300-0400 could be taking quite a pounding, large hail is certainly possible given the dynamics. I think some of the model forecasts have underestimated the relative intensity of the eastern portion of this complex relative to the western portion, time will tell.

Dublin region, if this holds together, would be seeing distant lightning by about 0300 or 0400 then getting the main course after daybreak although it may not be very light out except for the occasional lightning as the thick cloud spreads in around sunrise. My estimate for Cork and probably Waterford is 0130-0300h. Limerick would be about 0300-0500h.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

Arklow around 0300-0400 could be taking quite a pounding, large hail is certainly possible given the dynamics. I think some of the model forecasts have underestimated the relative intensity of the eastern portion of this complex relative to the western portion, time will tell.

:eek: :eek: :D:D

Where else can you get a dedicated forecast for Arklow? :)

By the way, my timing may appear a bit slow, and I would be certain that people on the south coast will be seeing a lot of lightning off to their south well before midnight, but let's say midnight to 0200h for the actual onset of severe storm conditions. And I would now say that the original (removed) level 2 was probably a fairly accurate call by kermit, matters not to me whether it stays level one or two because I'm not sure what these might imply to boards readers for thunderstorms, the lightning will be intense in some places and might warrant a level 2, maybe the rainfalls will verify at level one, some local hail might be more worthy of a level two. Wind gusts also more likely to be level one if anything. All depends on whether you want the alert level to be generally applicable or worst case and if the most intense storm happens to hit larger towns then it seems more appropriate afterwards too. Maybe hold at level one and add wording such as "locally very intense" to give the right balance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

Looks like the lightning on the eastern flank (at least) has died back considerably in last frame or two on Sat24. Let's see what happens next

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Where else can you get a dedicated forecast for Arklow? :)

Aren't you supposed to be on holidays? :pac:

I am surprised it will hit Dublin so late in the morning. Would I be right in saying it is a relatively slow moving system compared to other, traditional systems that move across the country from West to East?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/

1945 strongest echoes close to SW coat

see http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp also

you do not need netweather for this evening and tonight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Ah I'll be devastated if there's no thunder and lightning in Blanch. Haven't heard or seen a good thunderstorm in an age :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

keith16 wrote: »

I am surprised it will hit Dublin so late in the morning. Would I be right in saying it is a relatively slow moving system compared to other, traditional systems that move across the country from West to East?

Meteogram, next 48 hours
    The meteogram: Arklow
    The blue bars show max and min values for precipitation per hour.

Today and tonight, 17 July 2014
    Time Forecast Temp. Precip. Wind
    Thursday 20:00 Clear sky 17° 0 mm Gentle breeze, 5 m/s from north-northeastGentle breeze, 5 m/s from north-northeast
    Thursday 21:00 Clear sky 16° 0 mm Moderate breeze, 7 m/s from north-northeastModerate breeze, 7 m/s from north-northeast
    Thursday 22:00 Partly cloudy 16° 0 mm Moderate breeze, 8 m/s from north-northeastModerate breeze, 8 m/s from north-northeast
    Thursday 23:00 Rain 15° 0.3 – 1.0 mm Moderate breeze, 8 m/s from north-northeastModerate breeze, 8 m/s from north-northeast
    Friday 00:00 Rain 14° 0.3 – 0.5 mm Fresh breeze, 9 m/s from north-northeastFresh breeze, 9 m/s from north-northeast
    Friday 01:00 Light rain showers 14° 0 – 0.7 mm Fresh breeze, 9 m/s from north-northeastFresh breeze, 9 m/s from north-northeast
    Friday 02:00 Rain 15° 0.2 – 0.4 mm Fresh breeze, 10 m/s from north-northeastFresh breeze, 10 m/s from north-northeast
    Friday 03:00 Heavy rain 16° 0.7 – 2.9 mm Fresh breeze, 11 m/s from northeastFresh breeze, 11 m/s from northeast
    Friday 04:00 Rain 16° 0.1 – 1.5 mm Fresh breeze, 10 m/s from east-northeastFresh breeze, 10 m/s from east-northeast
    Friday 05:00 Cloudy 17° 0 – 0.1 mm Fresh breeze, 9 m/s from eastFresh breeze, 9 m/s from east
    Tomorrow, 18 July 2014
    Friday 06:00 Cloudy 17° 0 – 0.1 mm Fresh breeze, 9 m/s from eastFresh breeze, 9 m/s from east
    Friday 07:00 Cloudy 17° 0 – 0.1 mm Moderate breeze, 8 m/s from east-southeastModerate breeze, 8 m/s from east-southeast
    Friday 08:00 Cloudy 17° 0.1 mm Moderate breeze, 8 m/s from southeastModerate breeze, 8 m/s from southeast
    Friday 09:00 Light rain 17° 0.1 mm Moderate breeze, 8 m/s from southeastModerate breeze, 8 m/s from southeast
    Friday 10:00 Light rain 17° 0.1 mm Fresh breeze, 9 m/s from south-southeastFresh breeze, 9 m/s from south-southeast
    Friday 11:00 Cloudy 17° 0.1 mm Fresh breeze, 9 m/s from south-southeastFresh breeze, 9 m/s from south-southeast
    Friday 12:00 Cloudy 17° 0 – 0.1 mm Moderate breeze, 8 m/s from south-southeastModerate breeze, 8 m/s from south-southeast
    Friday 13:00 Cloudy 17° 0 mm Moderate breeze, 8 m/s from south-southeastModerate breeze, 8 m/s from south-southeast
    Friday 14:00 Cloudy 17° 0 mm Fresh breeze, 9 m/s from southFresh breeze, 9 m/s from south
    Friday 15:00 Cloudy 18° 0 mm Fresh breeze, 9 m/s from southFresh breeze, 9 m/s from south
    Friday 16:00 Cloudy 18° 0 mm Fresh breeze, 9 m/s from southFresh breeze, 9 m/s from south
    Friday 17:00 Cloudy 18° 0 mm Moderate breeze, 9 m/s from southModerate breeze, 9 m/s from south
    Friday 18:00 Partly cloudy 18° 0 mm Moderate breeze, 8 m/s from southModerate breeze, 8 m/s from south
    Friday 19:00 Fair 17° 0 mm Moderate breeze, 8 m/s from southModerate breeze, 8 m/s from south
    Friday 20:00 Partly cloudy 17° 0 mm Moderate breeze, 8 m/s from southModerate breeze, 8 m/s from south
    Friday 21:00 Cloudy 17° 0 mm Moderate breeze, 6 m/s from southModerate breeze, 6 m/s from south
    Friday 22:00 Cloudy 16° 0 mm Gentle breeze, 5 m/s from southGentle breeze, 5 m/s from south
    Friday 23:00 Cloudy 16° 0 mm Gentle breeze, 4 m/s from southGentle breeze, 4 m/s from south
    19 July 2014
    Saturday 00:00 Fog 16° 0 mm Light breeze, 3 m/s from southLight breeze, 3 m/s from south
    Saturday 01:00 Fog 15° 0 mm Light breeze, 2 m/s from south-southeastLight breeze, 2 m/s from south-southeast
    Saturday 02:00 Fog 15° 0 mm Light air, 1 m/s from south-southwestLight air, 1 m/s from south-southwest
    Saturday 03:00 Fog 14° 0 mm Light breeze, 2 m/s from west-northwestLight breeze, 2 m/s from west-northwest
    Saturday 04:00 Fog 14° 0 – 0.1 mm Light air, 2 m/s from north-northwestLight air, 2 m/s from north-northwest
    Saturday 05:00 Fog 14° 0 – 0.1 mm Light breeze, 3 m/s from north-northeastLight breeze, 3 m/s from north-northeast
    Saturday 06:00 Fog 14° 0 mm Gentle breeze, 4 m/s from northeastGentle breeze, 4 m/s from northeast
    Saturday 07:00 Cloudy 14° 0 – 0.1 mm Gentle breeze, 4 m/s from northGentle breeze, 4 m/s from north
    Saturday 08:00 Cloudy 15° 0.1 mm Gentle breeze, 4 m/s from northGentle breeze, 4 m/s from north
    Saturday 09:00 Rain 16° 0.1 – 0.8 mm Gentle breeze, 4 m/s from north-northeastGentle breeze, 4 m/s from north-northeast
    Saturday 10:00 Rain 16° 0.3 – 2.0 mm Gentle breeze, 5 m/s from north-northeastGentle breeze, 5 m/s from north-northeast
    Saturday 11:00 Heavy rain 17° 0.7 – 1.5 mm Gentle breeze, 4 m/s from north-northeastGentle breeze, 4 m/s from north-northeast
    Saturday 12:00 Heavy rain 17° 0.8 – 1.3 mm Light breeze, 4 m/s from north-northeastLight breeze, 4 m/s from north-northeast
    Saturday 13:00 Rain showers 17° 0.2 – 0.8 mm Gentle breeze, 4 m/s from northGentle breeze, 4 m/s from north
    Saturday 14:00 Cloudy 18° 0 – 0.1 mm Light breeze, 3 m/s from northLight breeze, 3 m/s from north
    Saturday 15:00 Cloudy 18° 0 – 0.1 mm Light breeze, 3 m/s from east-northeastLight breeze, 3 m/s from east-northeast
    Saturday 16:00 Cloudy 18° 0 – 0.2 mm Light air, 2 m/s from north-northeastLight air, 2 m/s from north-northeast
    Saturday 17:00 Rain 18° 0.1 – 1.4 mm Calm, 0 m/sCalm, 0 m/s
    Saturday 18:00 Rain 17° 0.4 – 1.1 mm Light air, 2 m/s from southLight air, 2 m/s from south
    Saturday 19:00 Rain 16° 0.2 – 0.8 mm Light breeze, 4 m/s from southLight breeze, 4 m/s from south

see http://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Leinster/Arklow/hour_by_hour.html

• Registered Users Posts: 23,836 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

^ Really.

keith16 wrote: »

Well, I will go into full holiday out of town off the internet mode later this month or for two weeks in August. We haven't quite nailed down the details for that. For July, I feel like I am in holiday mode as the weather here is very hot and sunny day after day, and I haven't been on line very much except for this event. I guess my partial holiday is on hold from now to Sunday, in any case being a golf fan I have that on in the background.

As to the other question, this system is moving at a normal rate for south to north moving systems, until Monday at least the further motion of systems will become slower and almost chaotic as a cyclonic pattern develops over Britain.

Going back to prepare an updated forecast, next move for me will be to update the boards forecast around 9 p.m.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Can hear the rumbles in the distance from the old head of kinsale..

• Registered Users Posts: 23,494 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    Can hear the rumbles in the distance from the old head of kinsale..

MR-BURNS-EXCELLENT-1.jpg

• Advertisement

Bring it on!!!!

And seeing all the lovely bright colours on the rain radar!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement