Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

17-10-2018, 12:35   #61
Ragnar Lothbrok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegir View Post
it wasn't a foreign government in 1914 and to many, it wasn't in 1939 either. A sense of duty can also go beyond a duty to a government, it can mean a sense of duty to a cause, like the thousands from all over europe who went and fought for the Republicans in their fight against Franco's army, or those that joined to fight the evils of the Nazis.
But we were talking about current British army recruits from Ireland, and whether their choice to join the British army was any different to working for a foreign company.

I totally agree with you that a sense of duty can cover the examples you mentioned. Neither of your examples involved a direct conflict with Ireland whereby those British soldiers from Ireland would be forced to choose between their country and their obligations as a British soldier, so it's not relevant to this particular question.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
17-10-2018, 12:53   #62
Aegir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar Lothbrok View Post
But we were talking about current British army recruits from Ireland, and whether their choice to join the British army was any different to working for a foreign company.

I totally agree with you that a sense of duty can cover the examples you mentioned. Neither of your examples involved a direct conflict with Ireland whereby those British soldiers from Ireland would be forced to choose between their country and their obligations as a British soldier, so it's not relevant to this particular question.
in the highly unlikely event that the British and Irish went to war, then I would expect them to leave and fight for their country, But lets face it, it is never going to happen, certainly not in our lifetime.
17-10-2018, 13:11   #63
Church on Tuesday

Good. It's disgusting how this country has treated it's WWI dead. It's improved over the last few years but still a lot to do.

These were brave Irish men, who fought for what they thought was right and they fought for their country via an external conflict.

They deserve to be remembered.
Thanks from:
17-10-2018, 13:17   #64
Ragnar Lothbrok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegir View Post
in the highly unlikely event that the British and Irish went to war, then I would expect them to leave and fight for their country, But lets face it, it is never going to happen, certainly not in our lifetime.
From the start, I posted that it was highly unlikely.

I wonder how easy do you think is it for a serving member of the British army (or any army for that matter) on the eve of battle to suddenly announce "Oh, sorry Sir, I can't fight in your war because I'm actually going to join the other side and fight against ye."
17-10-2018, 13:23   #65
Aegir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar Lothbrok View Post
From the start, I posted that it was highly unlikely.

I wonder how easy do you think is it for a serving member of the British army (or any army for that matter) on the eve of battle to suddenly announce "Oh, sorry Sir, I can't fight in your war because I'm actually going to join the other side and fight against ye."
It never works like that though does it?
Advertisement
17-10-2018, 13:27   #66
Sunny Disposition

The British army has covered up the massacres in Derry and Ballymurphy, those monsters are still free and can actually benefit from the Poppy Appeal. In these circumstances no one should support it. It is worthy to remember Irish men who got killed in WW1 but the poppy is not how it should be done.
17-10-2018, 13:33   #67
RobbieTheRobber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Disposition View Post
The British army has covered up the massacres in Derry and Ballymurphy, those monsters are still free and can actually benefit from the Poppy Appeal. In these circumstances no one should support it. It is worthy to remember Irish men who got killed in WW1 but the poppy is not how it should be done.
Does any of the Poppy money go to memorials for Irish ww1 war dead?
17-10-2018, 13:38   #68
droidman123

Churchill was a bigoted,racist s.cumbag so whatever he had to spout is irrelevent
17-10-2018, 13:59   #69
Church on Tuesday

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieTheRobber View Post
Does any of the Poppy money go to memorials for Irish ww1 war dead?
The Shamrock poppy is the product of the Irish branch of the legion.

Any funds generated by that poppy stays in Ireland and goes towards the up keep of WWI memorials in the country.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
17-10-2018, 14:01   #70
Church on Tuesday

Quote:
I'm no real fan of the traditional poppy, much for the reasons you have outlined, but I don't see anything wrong with wearing a Shamrock poppy to honor our WWI dead.
Thanks from:
17-10-2018, 14:02   #71
Sunny Disposition

Ask poppy sellers if they can guarantee the money won’t go to any of the killers at Ballymurphy or Derry, or indeed to anyone who killed Irish civilians during the Troubles. It’s a fair and very important question.
17-10-2018, 14:08   #72
Church on Tuesday

Quote:
Ask poppy sellers if they can guarantee the money won’t go to any of the killers at Ballymurphy or Derry, or indeed to anyone who killed Irish civilians during the Troubles. It’s a fair and very important question.
Absolutely that is and I fully agree with you.

My understanding is that the money generated by the Shamrock poppy stays in Ireland and towards the maintenance of WWI memorials.
Thanks from:
17-10-2018, 14:10   #73
Odhinn

Quote:

....as well as Aden, Borneo, mayalasia, cyprus, palestine, kuwait, Iraq, eritrea, kenya, dutch east indies, india, burma, oman.......
17-10-2018, 14:40   #74
WesternZulu

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEFTLEFTHAND View Post
Tbh 100 yrs on from the Empire I'm glad they influenced the world. Their inventions, innovations, medicines, infrastructure, law, sports, literature, language.

It's just incredible to me how a rain sodden damp rock in the north Atlantic were so advanced.
An interesting theory that I read before was that their geography was responsible for such.
Their isolation allowed for them to prosper in a way that wasn't possible in other places on the continent as it was much harder to conquer. This coupled with relatively high natural resources enabled their population to engage in activities that promoted advancement.
Thanks from:
17-10-2018, 14:45   #75
razorblunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church on Tuesday View Post
Good. It's disgusting how this country has treated it's WWI dead. It's improved over the last few years but still a lot to do.

These were brave Irish men, who fought for what they thought was right and they fought for their country via an external conflict.

They deserve to be remembered.
The Poppy is the only way of remembering them?

It's almost as if the flimsy red piece of material on your jacket or a day in November is the only time of the year that people stop to remember "hey my family member died in a war".
FFS

Last edited by razorblunt; 17-10-2018 at 15:52.
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion