Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
17-10-2018, 09:41   #46
sbsquarepants
Registered User
 
sbsquarepants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 9,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graces7 View Post
what a terrible way to see brave men. and what your post says about you. yeeeeeeeuuuuuuuurkkkkkkkkkk
Sorry Graces7, I get that you think you're being respectful and I'm not but you're wrong.

There's probably the odd exception but en masse the only difference their deaths made was to themselves and their families, a stupid gawdy paper flower is not honouring them, it's glossing over unpleasant facts.

And as for Churchill - he was undoubtedly a very smart man and a brilliant military leader in very difficult times, but he was also an alcoholic who was extremely blasé about killing millions of people. He's certainly not anybody I would look up to on moral grounds.

Just because he said something, doesn't mean it's true - he told the odd porkie pie when it suited him!
sbsquarepants is offline  
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
17-10-2018, 10:08   #47
judestynes
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 156
Send a message via Yahoo to judestynes
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbsquarepants View Post
No it's not, you clown!

Intel aren't going to tell you to climb in a helicopter and bomb a settlement somewhere in the Khyber pass, because there's a 25% chance that Tim Cook is in the big tent on the left!

Don't be ridiculous. Fighting armies deal in death, destruction and misery, not stocks, bonds and quarterly reports.

You're absolutely right insofar as at the end of the day, it is always about money, but that's where the similarity ends.
Your right, your employer won't tell you to invade a soveirgn nation but they might ask you to evict a family from their home, or crew an oil tanker skippered by a gowl who thinks safety regs are just there for the craic but at least he's quick and ends up wiping out the entire coastline of the country your from. How do you think those quarterly reports look so rosey, by playing by the rules?
judestynes is offline  
17-10-2018, 10:17   #48
sbsquarepants
Registered User
 
sbsquarepants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 9,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by judestynes View Post
Your right, your employer won't tell you to invade a soveirgn nation but they might ask you to evict a family from their home, or crew an oil tanker skippered by a gowl who thinks safety regs are just there for the craic but at least he's quick and ends up wiping out the entire coastline of the country your from. How do you think those quarterly reports look so rosey, by playing by the rules?
I think you're very much clutching at straws.

Firstly a family can't be evicted from "their" home, only from someone elses.

Secondly, penneys employing dubious labour in Bangladesh is not really on a par with fire bombing Dresden, and I think you know that full well!
sbsquarepants is offline  
(2) thanks from:
17-10-2018, 10:23   #49
razorblunt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 11,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graces7 View Post
what a terrible way to see brave men. and what your post says about you. yeeeeeeeuuuuuuuurkkkkkkkkkk
What a terrible, simplistic way to see Churchill too.
Take a look at what he did to Indians.
razorblunt is offline  
17-10-2018, 10:25   #50
razorblunt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 11,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawred2 View Post


not sure what it means or who it refers to but it sounds like my type of insult
Wiki:

Gammon is a pejorative term used in British political culture since around 2012, which received press coverage in 2018. In 2018 it became particularly known as a term to describe white people, especially those on the political right or who supported Brexit, who appear pink-faced when emotional.The term is a comparison of their flushed skin colour to the pink of gammon, i.e. salted pork leg
razorblunt is offline  
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
17-10-2018, 10:26   #51
corner of hells
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorblunt View Post
Wiki:

Gammon is a pejorative term used in British political culture since around 2012, which received press coverage in 2018. In 2018 it became particularly known as a term to describe white people, especially those on the political right or who supported Brexit, who appear pink-faced when emotional.The term is a comparison of their flushed skin colour to the pink of gammon, i.e. salted pork leg
Brilliant.
corner of hells is offline  
(3) thanks from:
17-10-2018, 10:39   #52
Aegir
Registered User
 
Aegir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 1,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topathemornin View Post
This post has been deleted.
in some instances maybe, but I wold guess the majority joined for the same reason young people all over the world join up. A sense of duty, a sense of adenture, to prove themselves etc etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheety View Post
And what will you do? Send a strongly worded letter?
no, I'm going to rage against them (Whatever that means), despite the fact that most have been dead for a very long time.
Aegir is online now  
17-10-2018, 10:46   #53
PlaneSpeeking
Registered User
 
PlaneSpeeking's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 4,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patww79 View Post
Their passports should instantly be ripped to shreds as soon as they sign up. The actual Irish ones I mean.
My dad grew up in the UK and had to serve in Cyprus in the late 50s, due to national service - yet he is a proud Irishman.

Less of the judgement eh ?
PlaneSpeeking is online now  
17-10-2018, 10:46   #54
yourdeadwright
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Dublin
Posts: 4,238
I never get the idea of Irish people wearing a poppy,
Yes Irish people died in the two wars  but why not just wear a shamrock to remember them
The poppy stand for all Brits lost at war including those in Ireland and India , Why would an Irish person want to wear that symbol its stupid ,
Wear a shamrock to remember the Irish men who died if you must ,
Or like myself don't wear anything  .
There is never a right side in war ,both sides have men fighting who have no choice and would prefer to be at home with there family's, If you want to remember those who died remember the men from both sides,
yourdeadwright is online now  
(4) thanks from:
Advertisement
17-10-2018, 10:47   #55
Ragnar Lothbrok
Registered User
 
Ragnar Lothbrok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Cork City
Posts: 1,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegir View Post
in some instances maybe, but I wold guess the majority joined for the same reason young people all over the world join up. A sense of duty, a sense of adenture, to prove themselves etc etc.
A sense of duty to a foreign government? Very strange.
Ragnar Lothbrok is online now  
17-10-2018, 10:57   #56
judestynes
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 156
Send a message via Yahoo to judestynes
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbsquarepants View Post
I think you're very much clutching at straws.

Firstly a family can't be evicted from "their" home, only from someone elses.

Secondly, penneys employing dubious labour in Bangladesh is not really on a par with fire bombing Dresden, and I think you know that full well!
Your confusing a house with a home there dude and bombing Deresden to defeat a tyranical lunatic and the people who supported him and invading a sovereign nation on trumped up allegations just to make rich men richer are worlds apart. Anyway we're miles off topic and don't call me a clown again
judestynes is offline  
17-10-2018, 10:57   #57
indioblack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneToad View Post
To me it represents unicorns jumping through rainbows and sugarplum fairies dancing on icicles.
I was on a trip like that once.
Far out.
indioblack is offline  
17-10-2018, 11:52   #58
sbsquarepants
Registered User
 
sbsquarepants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 9,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by judestynes View Post
Your confusing a house with a home there dude
Either way - if it's yours you can't be evicted from it. If it's not yours, it's not yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by judestynes View Post
bombing Deresden to defeat a tyranical lunatic and the people who supported him and invading a sovereign nation on trumped up allegations just to make rich men richer are worlds apart.
At the upper ends of all armies you'll find tyrannical lunatics. Don't kid yourself that the british or American armies were or are run by gentlemen intent on protecting freedom at all costs.

History is also largely written by the victors.

Hitler is the epitome of evil because he killed 6 million jews and plunged the world into war (no argument there, he was clearly a despotic nut job)
Churchill is the brave hero who stood up to him and saved the world (Eh, what about the 3 million Bengals he starved - shhh don't mention them he was a brave hero!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by judestynes View Post
Anyway we're miles off topic and don't call me a clown again
Even if the big shoes fit?

Anyway back on topic - Poppies - no, not for me!
sbsquarepants is offline  
17-10-2018, 12:01   #59
DEFTLEFTHAND
Registered User
 
DEFTLEFTHAND's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Stilwell, OK
Posts: 14,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbsquarepants View Post
Listening to some Fine Gael senator or something on newstalk this morning (I was still half asleep and didn't catch his name!) Anyway his point was, yes by all means we should remember "the fallen" but we should remember them by raging against the shower of bastards who sent them to their deaths, not but sentimentalising it with a poxy paper flower.

I agree with him - the whole gushing over the poppy you see these days is nothing short of disgusting. I just don't get the romanticising of war.

I'm sorry Britain, you didn't have a "glorious empire" - you raped and plundered half the world. Your history isn't anything to be proud of, quite the opposite in fact. The world doesn't look up to you with awe and respect - you are in fact a right shower of cúnts!

So, eh, no poppy for me thanks (unless you mean that blondie one above, there's always an exception!)
Tbh 100 yrs on from the Empire I'm glad they influenced the world. Their inventions, innovations, medicines, infrastructure, law, sports, literature, language.

It's just incredible to me how a rain sodden damp rock in the north Atlantic were so advanced.
DEFTLEFTHAND is offline  
(2) thanks from:
17-10-2018, 12:27   #60
Aegir
Registered User
 
Aegir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 1,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar Lothbrok View Post
A sense of duty to a foreign government? Very strange.
it wasn't a foreign government in 1914 and to many, it wasn't in 1939 either. A sense of duty can also go beyond a duty to a government, it can mean a sense of duty to a cause, like the thousands from all over europe who went and fought for the Republicans in their fight against Franco's army, or those that joined to fight the evils of the Nazis.
Aegir is online now  
(2) thanks from:
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet