Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any 530e owners out there?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,986 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

fifth wrote: »
    The loading might just be through loading. So I can pull down the middle seat in mine and load long items through. But I would have preferred split folding rear seats.

Thanks, yes I did think that might be case. No pics of boots in any of them. I'm aware boot is compromised with battery so I'd like split seats to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭Kramer

fifth wrote: »
    But I would have preferred split folding rear seats.
    Buddy Bubs wrote: »
    The 2018s are slightly high on the miles but priced quite well I believe compared to others on sale. Not mega miles, just high side of average for the year.
    The 2017 is lower miles but same price, so not sure there. Presented with these 3 options, which one would jump out at you?

2 of them are listed as having through loading system which I believe is split folding seats, am I correct there?

The split folding rear seats were important for me so I'd say well worth having. The boot is long but shallow in the 530e.
    The dash display (speedo) was slightly updated later in 2018 or possibly '19 (mine is a '19). A small change but again, nice to have as you're looking at it every time you drive it.

Regarding those, warranty & mileage would be my biggest concerns. Factory 3 year warranty from BMW so a later 2018 model would give you some time to get anything rectified by BMW.
    You could also take an extended warranty then from BMW. I'm not sure if the car needs to still be in warranty to allow you avail of the extended warranty.

Personally, I'd feel happier with a BMW warranty on such a car as it goes through years 4/5 etc. Complex turbo c/w hybrid/battery & the ZF gearbox.
    Some may have come with the BMW service pack too - all servicing covered up to 100,000km or 5 years - no harm checking.

100,000km+ is high enough IMO.

The base audio is pretty poor too, but easily upgradeable.

They are well specced though. Even the base spec is very good on the 530e. Delighted with mine - one of the best all round cars I've ever had & I'm a picky devil :D.
    Best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73 ✭✭markobucko

Is the car pre wired for the full system ?
    I’d upgrade my sound system but not if it needs wires traced

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

...the only thing thing I can tell you is that I acidentally bought a 530e where you have to pull a fcuking lever to move the drivers seat backwards and forwards...... I never in my life considered that it was possible to buy anything but an eco box with a fcuking manual seat since circa 2000...
    So I would sit down and check what you believe the minimum basics are that a car should have and then explicitly check

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

...the only thing thing I can tell you is that I acidentally bought a 530e where you have to pull a fcuking lever to move the drivers seat backwards and forwards...... I never in my life considered that it was possible to buy anything but an eco box with a fcuking manual seat since circa 2000...
    So I would sit down and check what you believe the minimum basics are that a car should have and then explicitly check

Hahaha I’m the opposite. (520d though) Stupid electric seat takes forever to move forward. Have it done in half the time with a lever!

• Advertisement

Load through was indeed full split rear seats

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭SummerK

markobucko wrote: »

Nope. I guess kramer meant replacing front speakers to something like eton components with silk dome tweeters.

Found one I liked today, called into a few places. Talking moneys Monday so hopefully I make the move into the plug in world.

SummerK wrote: »
    Nope. I guess kramer meant replacing front speakers to something like eton components with silk dome tweeters.

Yep, as SummerK said, just upgrading the fronts to the drop in replacement Etons is a big improvement & adding tweeters in the rear shelf is easy too.

Mine had a wash yesterday. I'm still enamoured but will likely be parting ways with her shortly. I've a bad habit of changing cars frequently :o.

I will likely opt for a 545e or X5 45e.

If anyone is contemplating a 530e in the next few months, I'll pop her up here when she's going. It's a 2019 & will have approx just 40k km on the clock. It will still be under full BMW factory warranty, has the 5 year/100,000km service pack, one owner (me!), no finance etc.

7BBA720.jpg

• Advertisement

Kramer wrote: »
    Yep, as SummerK said, just upgrading the fronts to the drop in replacement Etons is a big improvement & adding tweeters in the rear shelf is easy too.

Any links to said speakers ??

Any links to said speakers ??

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00BUPR54S/

If you need the A pillar grilles, they are available from BMW or spurious ones are on Ebay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A-Pillar

Does anyone here know how to get chassis number and hence full spec sheet of a car from a reg plate (uk)? Or is that info too sensitive for online activity?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭bmwfan

Buddy Bubs wrote: »
    Does anyone here know how to get chassis number and hence full spec sheet of a car from a reg plate (uk)? Or is that info too sensitive for online activity?

you need the vin number

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭the corpo

Irksome issue with the BMW app. Got a recall notice last month to change the Granny cable, brought it in and got it changed, but the recall notice won't leave the app. Any ideas how to delete it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

the corpo wrote: »
    Irksome issue with the BMW app. Got a recall notice last month to change the Granny cable, brought it in and got it changed, but the recall notice won't leave the app. Any ideas how to delete it?

I'm "guessing" that once their backend systems are updated to show that your recall has been processed then it will automatically disappear. This is, I think, what happened in my case for the same recall. However, it was 6+ months ago so I can't remember how long it took.

the corpo wrote: »
    Got a recall notice last month to change the Granny cable, brought it in and got it changed, but the recall notice won't leave the app. Any ideas how to delete it?

Not that I'm aware of. I imagine only BMW could delete it - it's probably held remotely on their servers, rather than locally on the phone.

It doesn't appear on the My BMW app. I reckon they are going to discontinue support for the BMW Connected app in future.

Gratuitous 530e interior (with a view!) shot from yesterday :pac:.

rymiQzo.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,458 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Mine had a wash yesterday. I'm still enamoured but will likely be parting ways with her shortly. I've a bad habit of changing cars frequently :o.

If anyone is contemplating a 530e in the next few months, I'll pop her up here when she's going. It's a 2019 & will have approx just 40k km on the clock. It will still be under full BMW factory warranty, has the 5 year/100,000km service pack, one owner (me!), no finance etc.

7BBA720.jpg

Have you any nice bits of spec on that

Not that I'm aware of. I imagine only BMW could delete it - it's probably held remotely on their servers, rather than locally on the phone.

It doesn't appear on the My BMW app. I reckon they are going to discontinue support for the BMW Connected app in future.

I have both the apps at the moment (don't like the new one yet, it's prettier but I hate all the wasted space on the top of the screen and it's nowhere near as intuitive as BMW Connected) and the message is there in both. Hopefully you're right and they'll do some server update.

For my next question... As part of the recall they decided to coincide it with a vehicle check I was due next month. Is this vehicle check the same as the end of warranty check?

Got a bit of a land when I was sent through a video from BMW saying "this bit's in perfect condition, this bit here too, and here is a MAJOR FAULT...." Wait, what? Car is only a 181 8(

Tray underneath the gearbox is swimming in oil, so they're bringing it back in for further investigation (I'm picturing a new gear box). Very, very bloody grateful to have the warranty, will definitely look to extend it!

It's funny, went from a 2004 Avensis to the 530, and the Avensis almost *never* had a serious problem in all the year I had it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

My Connected App said that today - confirmed that it was being discontinued.

AidenL wrote: »
    My Connected App said that today - confirmed that it was being discontinued.

Yes same ..June I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭coolisin

The connected app gave a lovely amount of info that is just not on the My BMW app or am I missing something.
    (last journey usage and the likes)

As for the base system audio, it really wouldn't take much for BMW to have it alot nicer.
    Door pillar tweeters front and back and more control over the subwoofers in the Idrive, you really don't know the subwoofers are there, just allow the user a little more control/tweaking of the sound system.

When you compare it to the base Lexus/Audi systems its seems poor.

EDIT: However! It drives nicer and I personally find it a nicer place to sit!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,781 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

BMW granny cable has stopped working today for some reason.
    Won’t charge. Getting white light but doesn’t progress from there.

Tried my Type 2 cable on their home chargepoint and worked perfect so to be that’s an issue with the Granny?

Was the i3 granny cable recall effecting the 30e cars?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

My mothers 225xe had the warning about the replacement on her dash till she got it serviced and the charger exchanged.

I believe its just the 3 pin plug that's the problem. I could be wrong.

Gumbo wrote: »
    BMW granny cable has stopped working today for some reason.
    Won’t charge. Getting white light but doesn’t progress from there.

Tried my Type 2 cable on their home chargepoint and worked perfect so to be that’s an issue with the Granny?

Was the i3 granny cable recall effecting the 30e cars?
    kanuseeme wrote: »
    My mothers 225xe had the warning about the replacement on her dash till she got it serviced and the charger exchanged.

I believe its just the 3 pin plug that's the problem. I could be wrong.

I think there wasn't a fault with the charger, more something to do with the three pin plug not fitting correctly with certain types of outdoor sockets. So it was a convenience recall, rather than a failure one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭jaggiebunnet

Has anyone bought an XDrive model? I see a nice one for sale but not sure I would need XDrive for the 2 or 3 days a year of bad weather we might get here and I have read it makes the car heavier and thus less efficient so interested if anyone has any views on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭SummerK

Has anyone bought an XDrive model? I see a nice one for sale but not sure I would need XDrive for the 2 or 3 days a year of bad weather we might get here and I have read it makes the car heavier and thus less efficient so interested if anyone has any views on it.
    I think Aiden has got LCI xDrive and may be he can pitch in with his views on it. Yes it would make car more heavy and if you're looking to use it for just 2-3 days a year then I would say avoid getting xdrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭bmwfan

the xdrive model sits higher than the rwd not as sporty looking

• Advertisement

7BBA720.jpg
    mickdw wrote: »
    Have you any nice bits of spec on that

Not really, just the factory privacy/comfort glass, split folding rear seats, upgraded front speakers (Eton front door mids & A-pillar tweeters), hardwired/covert front/rear dashcams, service pack.

Advertisement