Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar story in The Village??? - Mod Notes and banned Users in OP updated 16/05

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67,072 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

blanch152 wrote: »
    The DPP decides to prosecute because s/he believes a crime was committed. Any decision on whether a crime was committed is for a court of law.

Stop digging.

It won't get before a judge if the DPP decides there is no crime. You can't have it both ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,248 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

It won't get before a judge if the DPP decides there is no crime. You can't have it both ways.

Again, he doesn't decide that there is no crime.

He examines the evidence and if he believes there is insufficient evidence to bring a prosecution he decides not to bring one.

Take the Omagh bombing. That crime was committed. The criminals were identified and sued in court and they lost.

The prosecution service believed it didn't have enough evidence to bring a prosecution against some of them, tried and failed in others, but it didn't decide that there was no crime and in the cases where they didn't bring proceedings, they didn't decide that they hadn't committed a crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

He examines the evidence and if he believes there is insufficient evidence to bring a prosecution he decides not to bring one.

Take the Omagh bombing. That crime was committed. The criminals were identified and sued in court and they lost.

The prosecution service believed it didn't have enough evidence to bring a prosecution against some of them, tried and failed in others, but it didn't decide that there was no crime and in the cases where they didn't bring proceedings, they didn't decide that they hadn't committed a crime.
    Not exactly.
    IIRC The evidence is gathered and compiled by the Gardaí, they send it to the DPP and the DPP then decides whether or not any laws have been broken.
    Then the DPP decides whether or not criminal charges are to be brought.
    If not, it doesn't mean he didn't commit any offence, as it is pretty obvious he broke many rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

If memory serves me correctly, I think you'll find a poster on this thread has numerous posts across others that even if a defendant is acquitted, their thoughts are that, that doesn't necessarily mean they're innocent, merely "that there just wasn't enough evidence to secure a conviction" or words to that effect.

The same mental gymnastics can be applied here if Leo isn't even charged, considering he's admitted and apologised for leaking the confidential document to his friend.

The DPP = The Director of Public Prosecutions who prosecutes when he/she decides a crime has been committed.

We know Omagh was a crime, and we know breaking the Official Secrets Act or the Corruption Act is a crime. What the DPP will decide is 'is what Leo done a breach of that legislation...i.e. Is it a crime? He will prosecute on the basis of that 'decision'. We are awaiting his 'decision' on that.
    All the judge/jury will do is decide if the evidence presented verifies his decision that it was a crime and find Leo guilty or not, of the crime.

I am not answering another post that just twists the facts above around and goes at it again.

• Advertisement

McMurphy wrote: »
    If memory serves me correctly, I think you'll find a poster on this thread has numerous posts across others that even if a defendant is acquitted, their thoughts are that, that doesn't necessarily mean they're innocent, merely "that there just wasn't enough evidence to secure a conviction" or words to that effect.

The same mental gymnastics can be applied here if Leo isn't even charged, considering he's admitted and apologised for leaking the confidential document to his friend.

Not if theres no charge
    If theres a crime,the case is open and shut,he would be charged
    Acquittal only comes in to it if hes charged and wins a trial
    You can see my other posts as regards what the government think the possibility is of him being charged
    They've moved on

McMurphy wrote: »

That's right. Innocence is presumed, not established. Even miscarriage of justice findings are not findings of innocence.

It is an important presumption though, deserving of respect, and not a legal nicety.

There is an undeniable political aspect to the Varadkar allegations. Hypotheticals are somewhat feeble, but it's probably true that we'd all argue an opposite position if the man accused were on the Left. The legal process shouldn't be a political football.

That's right. Innocence is presumed, not established. Even miscarriage of justice findings are not findings of innocence.

It is an important presumption though, deserving of respect, and not a legal nicety.

There is an undeniable political aspect to the Varadkar allegations. Hypotheticals are somewhat feeble, but it's probably true that we'd all argue an opposite position if the man accused were on the Left. The legal process shouldn't be a political football.

Of course there is a political aspect, he is accused of using and abusing a political office and privilege. He has not been sanctioned, despite confessing to wrongdoing by his own and two other political parties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Monkey arris

Is it not that he did leak, but we don't know if it was a crime? If you confess to something you are not innocent regardless of any charge of criminality down the line.

Of course there is a political aspect, he is accused of using and abusing a political office and privilege. He has not been sanctioned, despite confessing to wrongdoing by his own and two other political parties.
    That's not really the point.

The question of criminality should be one that is as far away from politics and political loyalties as possible.

From an objective viewpoint, there are valid arguments to be made that Varadakar, as Taoiseach, did or did not have the right to share the document.

If it were a member of a Left Government who shared it, many of us would be arguing that the Government acts collectively, they are one organism except where statute devolves power to individual ministers, and that the Taoiseach, especially, had a constitutional right to share that document as a matter of policy.

I do not believe anyone who says their view would be the exact same if this leak were committed by a Minister with a shared party/political allegiance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Monkey arris

That's not really the point.

The question of criminality should be one that is as far away from politics and political loyalties as possible.

From an objective viewpoint, there are valid arguments to be made that Varadakar, as Taoiseach, did or did not have the right to share the document.

If it were a member of a Left Government who shared it, many of us would be arguing that the Government acts collectively, they are one organism except where statute devolves power to individual ministers, and that the Taoiseach, especially, had a constitutional right to share that document as a matter of policy.

I do not believe anyone who says their view would be the exact same if this leak were committed by a Minister with a shared party/political allegiance.

He leaked to his friend. It was a private negotiation. He apologised. Criminal or not, it was behaviour wordy of apologising for. There are many situations where you can behave inappropriately without engaging in criminality. Sharing a confidential paper with an outside party would be one, unless you are breaching a contract or legislation or an act.
    He is not innocent. We are waiting to see if he's criminal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Why is it taking so long? He practically apologised for it. Must be the longest running investigation of nothing that will ultimately come to nothing, thereby restoring our faith in the criminal justice system.

I guess he was right when he said he won't be charged ages ago. I was naive to think the investigation precedes the findings though.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,869 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

I wonder what will be coming out in tomorrows papers.

skimpydoo wrote: »
    I wonder what will be coming out in tomorrows papers.

Probably what was supposed to come out last Sunday. And the Sunday before that. And the Sunday before that.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 TestIcicle

I am the employee of a large UK based newspaper (though I myself am Irish, co Wexford originally) I have it on very good authority that there's a major, major story about to break on Leo Varadkar, probably in tomorrow's papers.

I'm not at liberty to give further information just yet, but its directly related to this debacle. Leo knows that the news will break imminently.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭costacorta

TestIcicle wrote: »
    I am the employee of a large UK based newspaper (though I myself am Irish, co Wexford originally) I have it on very good authority that there's a major, major story about to break on Leo Varadkar, probably in tomorrow's papers.

I'm not at liberty to give further information just yet, but its directly related to this debacle. Leo knows that the news will break imminently.

I hope you’re correct on this as I’ve seen guys creaming themselves with excitement over the last 2 months telling us big news breaking only to see the same rubbish repeated .

Will check back to you within 12 hrs to either congratulate you or to tell you change your sources .

Wow we have a bunch of comedians.

Wow we have a bunch of comedians.

You mean the guys with the breaking news stories ?? Or the guys who are still waiting for the sensational new stories??.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

If you're not talking bollocks, could it be a 'bring down the government' story?

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭shatners bassoon

Hahaha, the drama!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 TestIcicle

"Will check back to you within 12 hrs to either congratulate you or to tell you change your sources "

I didn't say it will definitely be published tomorrow, possibly it will, but I'm not 100% on that just yet.

"If you're not talking bollocks, could it be a 'bring down the government' story?"
    Hard to say, one thing I'm sure of though leos backers and cheerers will have lots of egg on faces.
    I repeat, from what I heard, leo knows that journalists are aware of what's about to come out, my understanding is he became aware during the early part of last week.

That is about as much as I'm prepared to say at the minute.
    Remember who gave you lot in here the tip off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

"Will check back to you within 12 hrs to either congratulate you or to tell you change your sources "

I didn't say it will definitely be published tomorrow, possibly it will, but I'm not 100% on that just yet.

"If you're not talking bollocks, could it be a 'bring down the government' story?"
    Hard to say, one thing I'm sure of though leos backers and cheerers will have lots of egg on faces.
    I repeat, from what I heard, leo knows that journalists are aware of what's about to come out, my understanding is he became aware during the early part of last week.

Remember who gave you lot in here the tip off.

Considering you've 2 posts to your username I'd say it's an attempt to bury my post showing an elected official and member of government prejusticed any investigation into him which sat there for last 24 hours.

I wan't to believe you, I just don't. I will apologies of course if it transpires.

giphy.gif

originally) I have it on very good authority that there's a major, major story about to break on Leo Varadkar, probably in tomorrow's papers. Remember who gave you lot in here the tip off.

You’re really keeping your options open so !! Probably but then again might not ?

I think it’s safe to say another false alarm

• Registered Users Posts: 7,323 ✭✭✭jmcc

In the immortal words of Hannibal Lector: If so, goody, goody. :)

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 27,248 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

The DPP = The Director of Public Prosecutions who prosecutes when he/she decides a crime has been committed.

We know Omagh was a crime, and we know breaking the Official Secrets Act or the Corruption Act is a crime. What the DPP will decide is 'is what Leo done a breach of that legislation...i.e. Is it a crime? He will prosecute on the basis of that 'decision'. We are awaiting his 'decision' on that.
    All the judge/jury will do is decide if the evidence presented verifies his decision that it was a crime and find Leo guilty or not, of the crime.

I am not answering another post that just twists the facts above around and goes at it again.

Again, nonsense.

We know with the evidence of our eyes that a crime was committed in Omagh.

We don't know that a crime was committed in breaking the OSA. A big difference.

jmcc wrote: »
    In the immortal words of Hannibal Lector: If so, goody goody. :)

Regards...jmcc
    Anyone for Chianti?

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭zanador

Anyone for Chianti?

Does it go with popcorn?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭shtpEdthePlum

Considering you've 2 posts to your username I'd say it's an attempt to bury my post showing an elected official and member of government prejusticed any investigation into him which sat there for last 24 hours.

I wan't to believe you, I just don't. I will apologies of course if it transpires.

giphy.gif
    I hope you're wrong!

Makes the evening a bit more interesting anyway even if it's shyte

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I hope you're wrong!

Makes the evening a bit more interesting anyway even if it's shyte

Won't be long to find out of there's any truth to it, or if it's just a messer acting the maggot. Broadsheet.ie usually have the Sunday papers on their site around 11pm on Saturday nights from memory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,323 ✭✭✭jmcc

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement