Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas 2020 purchases

Options
1232425262729»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Bought a photo album for himself today going to go through our photos and go to my local photo guy and get them printed off
    I threaten to do it every year but never get a around to it, got a gorgeous one in Penneys

Bought more loungewear for myself..me and the bump need to be comfy "tis is the season" :)

Went oldskool too my mams favourite movie is Wizard of Oz, she can watch it Christmas to her hearts content,
    Picked up the original Jungle Book and Bambi 3 for 20 in Golden Discs

• Registered Users Posts: 5,817 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

When I went to buy my mams present, the site was having problems (two separate irish sites I've tried to buy from have failed) anyways said I'd try again, it's out of stock now.

So a little bit agh!!!! Remember seeing that they stock in the Kilkenny store....look there can't see it, but do see the newbridge decorations.....oh dear ,oh dear.

So Kilkenny is only free delivery over €59 so I says, sure I'll look at the newbridge own site...

Welcome to my parlour said the spider to the fly..... newbridge free delivery and 10% off (enjoy10) so I'm now 150 euros lighter .

Got the santa grotto, santa and forest friends, cuckoo x2 , book mark and two others , know there was 7 items anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,039 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

You're better off. I ordered online from Kilkenny for my friend's birthday/Christmas. We just do one present each as both our birthdays are close to Christmas. Took nearly 2 weeks to be dispatched and now courier's tracking hasn't updated since last Wednesday. Never again!! I had a McElhinneys order in 2 days and Carraig Donn in 3 so I'm not comparing it to Amazon, but to similar Irish retailers.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,292 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

131063333_2820940281561908_8168188165438404100_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&ccb=2&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=IRnOPadPhfYAX_fI4gv&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=1473e67c0cbf1b1260cb9d6d560de3b5&oe=5FF9E06E

@freshpopcorn, hope you don't mind, where'd you get this decoration? Thx.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,297 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

odyssey06 wrote: »
    @freshpopcorn, hope you don't mind, where'd you get this decoration? Thx.

Homefront they've branches in Cork Suburbs and some towns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 city slicker

Took a leap of faith and ordered from Arnotts this year for the children's gifts, picked the click and collect option.Beginning to deeply regret it, 12 days later absolutely no updates other than the order confirmation that they have my money.

Emailed thier customer service and got an automated response that my query will be handled in 72 hours. Seriously in this day an age, 72 hours to reply by email to a customer query??
    Dutifully waited 72 hours for no response.

I've tried the Irish way, as I also shopped from DID any they have matched Arnotts, practically word for word, 72 hours for a reply that never came.
    Never again.

I echo the positive comments re Amazon, they are practically delivering within 72 hours, web chat customer service in seconds.

The future is dark for Irish Retailing. 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Took a leap of faith and ordered from Arnotts this year for the children's gifts, picked the click and collect option.Beginning to deeply regret it, 12 days later absolutely no updates other than the order confirmation that they have my money.

Emailed thier customer service and got an automated response that my query will be handled in 72 hours. Seriously in this day an age, 72 hours to reply by email to a customer query??
    Dutifully waited 72 hours for no response.

I've tried the Irish way, as I also shopped from DID any they have matched Arnotts, practically word for word, 72 hours for a reply that never came.
    Never again.

I echo the positive comments re Amazon, they are practically delivering within 72 hours, web chat customer service in seconds.

The future is dark for Irish Retailing. ��

Yep, would have to agree I'm afraid. This year I was asked (for the first time in my life) after also dutifully waiting the 72hrs, if I had waited "just 72hrs or the full 72 working hours"

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I also could not agree more!! I've had a similar experience with BT. Nearly 2 weeks for the order, then waiting for nearly an hour in the click and collect queue to pick it up!
    (To be fair though, the BT staff were very apologetic, and when I complained they gave me a lovely free gift that made it worth the wait! :D)

But what will Amazon be like once the dreaded... BREXIT kicks in!!? :eek:

Actually, people tend to complain and not talk about the positive experiences they have- I ordered something from the Art and Hobby Shop on Click and Collect on Sunday evening. Got an email on Monday morning to say that it was ready. Popped in at lunchtime and the guy at the till just reached under the counter and there it was. Fastest and easiest click and collect I've clicked and collected this Christmas!

I had an absolutely dreadful shopping experience with the Kilkenny shop, just to add to the woeful Irish retailers list.

High praise for McElhinneys and Carraig Donn though.

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Yep, would have to agree I'm afraid. This year I was asked (for the first time in my life) after also dutifully waiting the 72hrs, if I had waited "just 72hrs or the full 72 working hours"

"72 working hours" that's halarious 😂
    I'll be kind and say they work a 9 hour day, so that works out at 8 days for an email reply. Ha ha ha.
    Priceless.

• Advertisement

Smyths are brilliant, I ordered late Thursday night and it arrived early Saturday morning.

No problems with elverys or lifestyle sports either (though that was November)

Two other irish food websites I couldn't get past the checkout so that was a futile effort.

"72 working hours" that's halarious 😂
    I'll be kind and say they work a 9 hour day, so that works out at 8 days for an email reply. Ha ha ha.
    Priceless.

Kilkenny delivery was 8-12 working days too. It's this a new trend? Not that they delivered in that time frame anyway!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

If those shops are depending on An Post maybe that is the issue? (know some click and collect though, no excuse there). I posted a parcel in Dublin to Dublin and 13 days later it hasn't yet arrived!

Kilkenny use GLS couriers. They've had my package for last 10 days. Yet I've had DPD next day this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭tscul32

pc7 wrote: »
    If those shops are depending on An Post maybe that is the issue? (know some click and collect though, no excuse there). I posted a parcel in Dublin to Dublin and 13 days later it hasn't yet arrived!

I posted a package to a remote irish island from dublin last Wednesday and it arrived on Friday, and they dont even get post every day.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

tscul32 wrote: »
    I posted a package to a remote irish island from dublin last Wednesday and it arrived on Friday, and they dont even get post every day.

Feck, I've a bad feeling its gone missing so. I posted one to another part of Ireland the other night, swift post and tracked and last update is still my local post office. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭tscul32

Feck, I've a bad feeling its gone missing so. I posted one to another part of Ireland the other night, swift post and tracked and last update is still my local post office. :(

I should probably get writing my Christmas cards tonight so...

If I'd ordered delivery I'd probably agree with you, but it still doesn't explain Arnotts appalling customer service of not answering any of my emails after waiting the 10 working days.
    However mine is a click and collect order they just need to email me and I do all the traveling. So why the 10 day delay.
    Poor form from one of Ireland's largest and oldest retailers.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,668 ✭✭✭✭josip

Caranica wrote: »
    Kilkenny use GLS couriers. They've had my package for last 10 days. Yet I've had DPD next day this week.

GLS couriers' warehouse is full.
    They've got containers with thousands of parcels outside that they can't unload.
    They've said it will be after Christmas before anything gets delivered.
    The only thing to be said for GLS Couriers is that they are consistent.
    They've always had shocking reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

josip wrote: »
    GLS couriers' warehouse is full.
    They've got containers with thousands of parcels outside that they can't unload.
    They've said it will be after Christmas before anything gets delivered.
    The only thing to be said for GLS Couriers is that they are consistent.
    They've always had shocking reviews.

I had 15kg bag of dog food dropped to my door by 2 blokes in a taxi this morning.
    I'm not even messing. I'm happy out, but seemed a bit mental. (GLS that was)

• Advertisement

When I went to buy my mams present, the site was having problems (two separate irish sites I've tried to buy from have failed) anyways said I'd try again, it's out of stock now.

So a little bit agh!!!! Remember seeing that they stock in the Kilkenny store....look there can't see it, but do see the newbridge decorations.....oh dear ,oh dear.

So Kilkenny is only free delivery over €59 so I says, sure I'll look at the newbridge own site...

Welcome to my parlour said the spider to the fly..... newbridge free delivery and 10% off (enjoy10) so I'm now 150 euros lighter .

Got the santa grotto, santa and forest friends, cuckoo x2 , book mark and two others , know there was 7 items anyway.

These all arrived this morning, delivered with "an post"

I ordered after their cut off so wasn't sure if I'd get them before Christmas.

Advertisement