Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter/Spring 2013 (Model Output Discussion)

Options
1119120121122123125»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Youneckfreak

Yeah you should be lucky, no snow.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 47 SnowDancer

Yeah you should be lucky, no snow.

Or unlucky depending on your perspective!
    I miss the ramping thread already :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭Speak Now

SnowDancer wrote: »
    Or unlucky depending on your perspective!
    I miss the ramping thread already :-D

Well i was answering a guy who said a few day ago "Hopefully no more snow till next winter!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

GFS Op run not so dramatic as earlier but still no doubt a cold snap for most of us.

Expect the Ensembles to still have a number of Sub -10 850s for us.

It'll be interesting to see this unfold out as the main models in similar agreement to Day 6 .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭dacogawa

The ECM doesn't seem to be on the same wavelength as the others at 144, a lot slower. Suppose it might change in 15 mins, until then 'Go home ECM, you're drunk!' ;)

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ecmwf/runs/2013030500/ECM0-144.GIF?05-12

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Wicklow Weather

The ECM also giving the cold blast a 5 day run where as the GFS 3 days at best.
    Falling from one side of the fence to the other....!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Youneckfreak

Well i was answering a guy who said a few day ago "Hopefully no more snow till next winter!

Thanks jerry. Thanks very much :) really appreciate it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Magical ECM, much different to the GFS outcome but not too much different to the UKM, just big differences in pressure levels over Greenland and the trough dropping south, but the overall synoptic is more similar.

Lets hope the consistent ECM is correct because we have a severe cold shot arriving as early as late Sunday.

ECM1-144.GIF

ECM1-192.GIF

If the ECM occurred it would be a dramatic late winter cold spell with 850hPa uppers from -8c to -10c through a 96hr period at least with snow in many places.

Too good to be true?? Probably!

WOW the ECM run is one for the USB memory stick.

Incredible, and probably the best run of the winter season!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

what happened to you been a mod weathercheck hope you are not going to jump ship and leave us like so many others??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Getting close to the reliable timeframe. Thursday evening for me is when I start to get excited. For now, cautious optimism.

The ECM Ensemble mean is one of the most impressive of the season and has much of Ireland in means of 850hPa between -6c and -8c from 144hrs right through to 240hrs.

Very very impressive :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

The ECM Ensemble mean is one of the most impressive of the season and has much of Ireland in means of 850hPa between -6c and -8c from 144hrs right through to 240hrs.

Very very impressive :D

Thanks for the half time update! back for an 18z gfs update at 10 (unless there is et and penalties..).

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭aurora 527

Im no expert but it looks like the cold is progressing faster on this gfs run so far to 114hrs

aurora 527 wrote: »
    Im no expert but it looks like the cold is progressing faster on this gfs run so far to 114hrs

Still big differences from how this evolves from all the big 3, so i would not take the 18z GFS outcome too seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

Hi WC,

Great model runs today, no doubt about that.

However there has to be a serious health warning attached to them given the hell of a winter we have had in terms of model predictions. If the severe cold is still showing within +48 or +72 hours, its only then that I will be buying it. Just a case of being fooled too much this winter by the models! :D Still interesting model watching for the days ahead.............

D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Yes it's only one run but as was said earlier today by Jerry Seinfeld about the sinking high,well it's sinking,-8's don't even make it to the west on the 18z

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Mr Bumble

Nowhere else to put this so excuse the topic break....Weathercheck...could you please free up some space for a PM?
    Tried to send one to you but you're full up.

Mr Bumble wrote: »
    Nowhere else to put this so excuse the topic break....Weathercheck...could you please free up some space for a PM?
    Tried to send one to you but you're full up.

No problem, my message space must of got reduced when i left the mod position! Cheers

believe in perturb 16! now that would be mega cold.

gens-16-0-150.png?18

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Strangegravy

Minus 14 uppers.. :)

At plus 150hrs.. :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

gens-16-0-150.png?18

looks similar to this one we had in 1991,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hd6DuebHliY

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

icesnowfrost, I know this isn't the question you are asking but you don't need to be able to read charts to follow the models. I would barely know a high pressure from a low pressure but I can read colour coded temp charts with the best of them! Just go to www.meteociel.fr/modeles, click on either ecmwf or gefs, and then click on the "temp. 850hpa" icon. This tells you the the temp at (approx) 1,500 metres up. If its -8 or lower then sneachta is on the cards is there is precipitation around. Genuinely, it sounds complicated but follow these instructions once and you'll do easily next time (and you'll be hooked).

Cheers I understand -8 upper temps is good for snow and the blue is cold and red is warm I no them kind of basics it's reading charts I'm no good at. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

This morning's GFS 0z has a strong north east gradient dragging -12 uppers across Ireland by Monday morning. Now if that were to come off we would certainly see significant snow and extremely low temperatures. Thw high sinks quite fast but this is followed by height rises to Greenland and cold reloads in FI.

The run shows what looks to me as an historic late spring cold push into western Europe.

This starting to look veeeery interesting

This morning's GFS 0z has a strong north east gradient dragging -12 uppers across Ireland by Monday morning. Now if that were to come off we would certainly see significant snow and extremely low temperatures. Thw high sinks quite fast but this is followed by height rises to Greenland and cold reloads in FI.

The run shows what looks to me as an historic late winter early spring cold push into western Europe.

This starting to look veeeery interesting

Lads never have we needed a ramping thread more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Joe B and Ryan maue say it's coming too in their tweets.

I was not fooling around about what this March was going to be like. Europe tanking too!

This is false spring Europe as Major March cold comes back for mid month!

BEni1LgCcAEjKbQ.jpg

There is a possible snowfest on the table here however until we get the cold over us all bets are off. Exciting wait and see.

I don't think people will be disappointed if it's just cold but the Irish sea is the snow machine for East. I think we'll get something out of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

NEW THREAD OPEN
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056896284
    Simply to discuss the cold evolution and not a guarantee of anything.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement