Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter/Spring 2013 (Model Output Discussion)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

nice easterly developing here with blocking to the N and NE. Is +144 FI? borderline?
    I don't think there will be anything mild about next week, a southeast wind and cloudy skies will make it feel anything but mild even though temps will be around average perhaps a little below.

Recm1441.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

Strong signals this morning on both the ECM and the GFS models of a potential very cold spell next week - just outside the reliable time frame however MT did mention the possibility of the "s" word in his forecast if all things fall in place.

However major health warning attached - is this the final kick in the teeth from winter 2012/2013 or might winter have a snowy bite in its tail? :rolleyes:

D

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭MrDerp

derekon wrote: »
    might winter have a snowy bite in its tail? :rolleyes:

Might for me, I'm going to be in Denmark next week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

derekon wrote: »
    Strong signals this morning on both the ECM and the GFS models of a potential very cold spell next week - just outside the reliable time frame however MT did mention the possibility of the "s" word in his forecast if all things fall in place.

However major health warning attached - is this the final kick in the teeth from winter 2012/2013 or might winter have a snowy bite in its tail? :rolleyes:

D

What I find slightly odd is the consistency being shown in the latter end of the runs, particularly GFS, for a change to something much colder from the N/E. You would generally expect wide variations from run to run at that range. Anyway, just an oddity for the moment, but worth keeping an eye on charts for 11th March onwards to see how things play out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Looks very interesting next week, strong consensus for a serious cool down again.

GFS Ensembles mean shows a strong signal. March could turn out to be a seriously cold month (to average).

Before then it looks like becoming milder but not much above average if at all, looks like we could see some spells of rain heavy at times.

GFS Ensembles mean at 180hrs.

gens-21-1-168.png?12

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Very good ECM Ensembles means, if it is cold weather you want that is!

But not only would it be cold there would be good convection firing up in an unstable polar flow. Some exciting weather for many would be offered.

Reem1921.gif

Reem2401.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Very good ECM Ensembles means, if it is cold weather you want that is!

But not only would it be cold there would be good convection firing up in an unstable polar flow. Some exciting weather for many would be offered.

Reem1921.gif

Reem2401.gif

18z Gfs speeds things up even further. Cold by Monday.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

Wow impressive 18z gfs indeed:D...This winter has been one hell of a roller coaster with many casualties but for all who have stuck with it I really feel we are in for a surprise and boy do we deserve it:)

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭tomcosgrave

At this stage I'm not buying into the idea of serious snow in my neck of the woods - a few sprinkles at best for Dublin. The models promise greatness as usual this past few months, but I expect that as before, there will be modifications.

Guess I've been burned too many times! :-)

V quiet here esp given the ECM and GFS are v. good this morning. 2 or 3 v cold days upcoming, may be as soon as Sunday on GFS. -8s presently forecast for over the entire country. Only concern is it isn't really model consensus given the timing differences in the forecasts.

See by way of examples....

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ecmwf.php?ech=216&mode=0&map=0&archive=0

and

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?&ech=144&mode=1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

I want to ramp!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Strangegravy

Not buying the deep cold yet, models around 96h - 120h are FI at the moment, and changes around that time frame are the ones that bring in the extreme cold. Something to keep an eye on, just don't get suckered in. (Yet!) ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

V quiet here esp given the ECM and GFS are v. good this morning. 2 or 3 v cold days upcoming, may be as soon as Sunday on GFS. -8s presently forecast for over the entire country. Only concern is it isn't really model consensus given the timing differences in the forecasts.

See by way of examples....

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ecmwf.php?ech=216&mode=0&map=0&archive=0

and

That is an impressive GSF chart even though it probably won't come off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

Wow some serious stuff being spewed out in the models. Very interesting solutions for the start of next week with -10s and even -12 uppers for ireland in a powerful easterly. Let's hope the '60% probability' quoted in the forecast section here isn't the kiss of death ;)

Very interesting stuff to follow at the moment. Could set up a good snowfall. Who cares how long it lasts. Wouldn't it be lovely to have thick snow falling in a stiff north easterly under black turbulent skies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Oh yes it's looking very likely we're in for a belt of the freezer. Perhaps a glancing blow but I think there's alot of brutal cold making a beeline for these parts. Interesting watch for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Redsunset wrote: »
    Oh yes it's looking very likely we're in for a belt of the freezer. Perhaps a glancing blow but I think there's alot of brutal cold making a beeline for these parts. Interesting watch for now.

This isn't even the ramping thread :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,511 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Looks like another sinking high by the time it comes into the reliable :(

Looks like another sinking high by the time it comes into the reliable :(

Possibly, I noticed that evolution as a possibility with the way GFS is taking things. Deeper cold in the short term, but the actual contact time lessening on each run as the high shows a greater tendency to sink.

However as things stand it looks super. I would love a short blast of extreme cold, even 2 days.

On a slightly unrelated note, if real cold/snow does transpire does anyone think that any of the forum members who jumped ship during the 2012/13 winter carnage will return for the party? ;)

Just saw the GFS 6z - Holy Sweet Jesus! That's epic cold forecast for 6 days time. In fact I'm in London that day (Monday) flying back to Cork. May need a plan B.......

As an aside, WC closes the ramping thread and, hey presto, there are -12 uppers over Cork. I think the ramping thread was the problem all along......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

omgwtf.gif

243740.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Since the ramping thread is closed wer can the normal people like me who can't read charts talk about the cold weather?

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

Since the ramping thread is closed wer can the normal people like me who can't read charts talk about the cold weather?

(Shhh. Talking about it makes it downgrade)

" It's not going to happen, these nutters in here are seeing things. Those charts must be broken or something " cough cough.

Any plans for the weekend anyone - might have a garden party. I hear the weathers supposed to be loverly - +20 they say!

icesnowfrost, I know this isn't the question you are asking but you don't need to be able to read charts to follow the models. I would barely know a high pressure from a low pressure but I can read colour coded temp charts with the best of them! Just go to www.meteociel.fr/modeles, click on either ecmwf or gefs, and then click on the "temp. 850hpa" icon. This tells you the the temp at (approx) 1,500 metres up. If its -8 or lower then sneachta is on the cards is there is precipitation around. Genuinely, it sounds complicated but follow these instructions once and you'll do easily next time (and you'll be hooked).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

look at the cold weather that sinks into southern Spain and North Africa, bit unrealistic, I know they had snow last week in the costa but that chart would propably deliver over a foot of snow to the resorts of Malaga-Marbella!

The 12z gfs is largely the same with -8's over everywhere by Monday - but it was -12's for Cork on the 6z so I'm disgusted. I don't get out of bed for less than (more than?) -10's anymore....

See http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?&ech=144&mode=1

Seems to suggest also that there would be rain to snow event on Sunday evening preceeding this as the cold air seeps south....

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?&ech=120&mode=2

The 12z gfs is largely the same with -8's over everywhere by Monday - but it was -12's for Cork on the 6z so I'm disgusted. I don't get out of bed for less than (more than?) -10's anymore....

See http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?&ech=144&mode=1

Seems to suggest also that there would be rain to snow event on Sunday evening preceeding this as the cold air seeps south....

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?&ech=120&mode=2

The blocking high is sinking even faster on the 12z run than the 06z. This trend if it continues will have the cold bypassing us to the southeast.

dopolahpec wrote: »
    The blocking high is sinking even faster on the 12z run than the 06z. This trend if it continues will have the cold bypassing us to the southeast.

This possible cold spell is such an unexpected surprise that I won't be disappointed if that (inevitably?) happens. Enjoying the chase again I must say....

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Youneckfreak

So the south east misses out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,511 ✭✭✭Speak Now

So the south east misses out?

Yeah you should be lucky, no snow.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement