Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Baldur's Gate III

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

What is it then?

Div 2 sorry, it's a fully 3d rendered game that so happens to be played top down :)

Div 2 sorry, it's a fully 3d rendered game that so happens to be played top down :)

Ah right. I thought you were saying it wasn't an rpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Worth noting that Div 2 uses a different combat system with action points, it's not like BG in that regard at all. I tried it, wanted to like it but couldn't get past the combat at all.

@Partyjungle I've never played played BG1 but BG2 is immensely playable today. There's something completely timeless imo with iso rpgs of that style.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I never played any of the BG's. Does they hold up today?

Uhh, it depends on your tolerance for ageing graphics/UI. The story, characters, and voice acting will be as good as ever, but it looks and feels old. Some of the effects are actually pretty good, and the sound design is good, but the UI really shows its age - even the remastered version.The problem isn't the isometric view; take a look at Pillars of Eternity and you'll see a modern isometric game that looks great. And the 2nd Edition DnD rules are kind of weird and counter-intuitive, and have all sorts of silliness, but damn if levelling up and getting new spells isn't great fun.

Personally I don't think BG1 is a very good game, but BG2 is fantastic if you can get past its obvious age.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Yeah, even as a massive fanboy, BG1 can be tough to get into. Low level characters are pretty ****e, so it's not particularly interesting for a while. BG2 starts off way better though, and goes from strength to strength.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Isometric RPGs are the new zombie games

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Niska

Not mutually exclusive...

Name: Zombie
    Type: Undead
    Treasure: Nil
    Alignment: Neutral
    No. Appearing: 3-24
    Armor Class: 8
    Movement: 6
    Hit Dice: 2
    THAC0: 19
    No. of Attacks: 1
    Damage/Attack: 1-8
    Special Attacks: Nil
    Size: M (6')
    Morale: Special
    XP Value: 65

It's mad, I've lost count of the amount of times i've played through both BG games, and i still have no ****ing idea what THACO means. I just always went with higher = better.

Kiith wrote: »
    It's mad, I've lost count of the amount of times i've played through both BG games, and i still have no ****ing idea what THACO means. I just always went with higher = better.

To Hit AC 0 (Zero).

Roll a d20 and subtract the result from your THACO gives the AC you hit. Any AC equal or higher is hit. It is very unintuitive...

So above zombie rolls a 15, 19 - 15 = 4 so hits AC 4.

So someone in chainmail (AC 5, assuming no Dex bonus, nor shield, nor magic etc)) would be hit but someone in Plate (AC 3) would not be hit. (Technically probably hit but armour absorbs it).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

Pah, a waste of my talents!

:D

• Advertisement

Niska wrote: »
    To Hit AC 0 (Zero).

Roll a d20 and subtract the result from your THACO gives the AC you hit. Any AC equal or higher is hit. It is very unintuitive...

So above zombie rolls a 15, 19 - 15 = 4 so hits AC 4.

So someone in chainmail (AC 5, assuming no Dex bonus, nor shield, nor magic etc)) would be hit but someone in Plate (AC 3) would not be hit. (Technically probably hit but armour absorbs it).

So THACO high, AC low?

You could have just said that :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

You want a low thac0 because it's what you need to roll on a d20
    They got rid of it at some stage.... 3e?
    You want low ac as well

Agreed bg2 is miles better than bg1. Especially if you get a mod to skip that annoying opening dungeon and imoen whingeing the whole time. I was so excited when i rewatched that star trek four lights episode OMG THAT'S IRENICUS :p

Bg1 is like you can throw one single magic missile and then be like welp that's me done for the day

Ah i'll just stick with Carsomyr and the Flail of Ages...don't need to know stats to know they'll get the job done :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I always assembled it and never used it haha.
    I was just thinking i don't think I've ever played without edwin in all my 5 million replays.
    Dual class fighter mage and go around wreckin the place with edwin

Ah i'll just stick with Carsomyr and the Flail of Ages...don't need to know stats to know they'll get the job done :)

Now I want to play BG1 and 2 again......

I've used Edwin a few times, but my usual party is Minsc (of course), Jahera, Imoen (when available), Aerie/Nalia, and Anomen/Keldorn/Cernd. Or i'll use Tashia is i mod her in. Want to try a playthrough without Jaheria and Minsc though. Vicona is supposed to be great, but i'm always a Good aligned character, so she probably woulndn't be too happy.
    Niska wrote: »
    Now I want to play BG1 and 2 again......
    You're welcome :)

Love viconia i always go with her! Jaheria as well. It's definitely a balance keeping the rep medium and not too high

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

GO FOR THE EYES BOO!! GO FOR THE EYYYESSSS!!

Minsc (and his miniature pet space hamster Boo) is obligatory for endless entertainment.

If you mean to imply that they are a dime a dozen and the genre is completely saturated and we're all burned out on them, then, no, I don't think you could be more wrong.

Hell, BG3 is explicitly not going to be isometric we've been told.

bluewolf wrote: »

Bg1 is like you can throw one single magic missile and then be like welp that's me done for the day

Actually BG2 was as bad with Fireball. Spam dafuq out of that was all you needed to do.

• Advertisement

Wand of Cloudkill, run away, Wand of Cloudkil, etc...even dragons were defeated by that mighty tactic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

It's cool that they're focusing on Mind Flayers as the principal antagonists. Easily the most interesting (and absolute bastard to fight) enemies from BG2.

has anyone played the android ports?

they are supposed to work well on a tablet.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,866 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I dont get this attitude tbh, Its Baldurs Gate 3! If they announced Half Life 3 would people be saying "Oh great another fps..."?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

I remember Baldurs gate being one of the best games I had ever played at the time. Totally sucked me in. I hope they do a good job on it, OS2 is quite good. A little boring at times to be honest. I just want the camera to be positioned further than in OS2, more like BG2 please.

Wand of Cloudkill, run away, Wand of Cloudkil, etc...even dragons were defeated by that mighty tactic.

haha it's so true. get close enough to cast it but not enough to aggro!!!
    i always pulled some of the monsters in nalia's dungeon as well then locked the doors behind them. one at a time lol

bluewolf wrote: »
    i always pulled some of the monsters in nalia's dungeon as well then locked the doors behind them. one at a time lol

Those giant beetle things (umber hulks upon googling it) that cause confusion ****ed me over so many times. Definitely used the closed door trick a few times.

Those giant beetle things (umber hulks upon googling it) that cause confusion ****ed me over so many times. Definitely used the closed door trick a few times.

Those stupid f-ing things were the bane of my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,866 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Haha I remember using that exact door and cloudkill trick back in the day aswell. I didn't have a clue about RPGs back then so I remember cheesing the final boss in BG1 with summons, Direwolves and loads of other crap running around everywhere.

• Advertisement

Thargor wrote: »
    I remember cheesing the final boss in BG1 with summons, Direwolves and loads of other crap running around everywhere.

I didn't enjoy BG1 overly much so I kind of rushed through the story, so I ended up severely under-levelled for the Sarevok fight. I did, however, have a very large supply of monster summoning wands I had been hording, and in BG1 there was no limit on how many monsters you can summon at once.

So I literally conjured an army and sent them off screen to go battle Sarevok, and as he hacked them down one by one I'd summon the next wave and send them in. They were queueing up, five across and ten deep, waiting their turn to take a swipe at him, as I pulled yet another fresh wand from the backpack, the party sitting around cleaning their nails and writing in their journals.

He fell eventually, I assume - I never saw it but the end-game triggered so some lucky hobgoblin managed to cut him down, collapsing on the mountain of dead monsters he had created.

Advertisement