Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi-LIDL Specials - Megathread!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,516 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it really sucks, yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Euro Fred wrote: »
    I'll need new lights for next winter, have these come up before and does anyone have feedback on them?

https://www.lidl.ie/en/p/cycling-offers/rechargable-led-bike-light-set/p37107

A bit pricier than their usual offerings iirc. The "break (sic) light function for extra safety" is an interesting idea.
    My dynamo rear light has a brake light function (senses dynamo frequency change). Looks like a brake light to a following motorist who will (presumably) react to it sensibly.

The front light looks pretty ok with 60 lux being a decently bright light and the reflector looks very like the German standard proper shine-the-light-on-the-road type of thing. My caveat with rechargeable lights are:
    1. How will the charging port stand up to the wet? Will it corrode and stop charging?
    2. When the battery dies on the road you can't just change it for a spare.
    3. When the battery loses capacity it won't last for a commute

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

cdaly_ wrote: »
    [*]When the battery dies on the road you can't just change it for a spare.

The ones I've used, cheaper ALDI and also B&M, use rechargeable AA format batteries and run fine on non-rechargeables at a pinch. I keep meaning to get a decent dynamo setup myself but just haven't got around to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

The track pumps are good? I need a new one. I have one that has been doing my head in for years. It's totally kack.

I had one before, and whilst you can pump tyres with it, the pressure gauge was useless, fit for the bin.
    I bought a Top Peak Joe Blow and have never looked back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I agree with this.
    Buy a track pump with a good review, it will last for years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

a148pro wrote: »
    Either a pretty comprehensive endorsement or you are a crack team of lidl flash marketeers

I wish I got paid for my endorsement of random things you can buy from Lidl/Aldi. I’d be loaded!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Deano12345 wrote: »
    I wish I got paid for my endorsement of random things you can buy from Lidl/Aldi. I’d be loaded!

It is typically pretty good stuff. There are exceptions but it is rare and I have yet to find anything that the price was unjustly high compared to their equivalents from branded stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

CramCycle wrote: »
    It is typically pretty good stuff. There are exceptions but it is rare and I have yet to find anything that the price was unjustly high compared to their equivalents from branded stuff.

That’s true, the T-handle Allen and Torx set is a winner too when they’re on sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Can anyone advise about Aldi's panniers? How do they hold up in the rain?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,516 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the bags? i bought a set and replaced them a few weeks later. the waterproof cover tucked in underneath was not quite big enough to fit over the bag even though i hadn't filled it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭SCOL

Are they selling a tool kit ? I need the tool that pulls out the shaft that holds the pedals.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Can anyone advise about Aldi's panniers? How do they hold up in the rain?

Again, not worth wasting your money on.
    Go online and get Rockbros panniers, they are nearly as good as Ortlieb for not much more that the supermarket dirt.
    SCOL wrote:
    Are they selling a tool kit ? I need the tool that pulls out the shaft that holds the pedals.

I don't think there is a crankpuller in the toolkits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Ikozma

What are the trip computers like

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

If you mean the 6.99 ones, they are grand for the money. I usually have one on my kid's bike. Its a great way of encouraging them to go faster!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Finally got around to buying the much-praised Lidl bike stand this morning.

Tried it out and discovered:
    There was water sloshing around inside my wheel rims following last week's spin though the Portmarnock lakeway
    Front brake blocks needed replacing
    My rear derailleur needed adjustment to get onto the 32 sprocket
    The back tyre had very little thread left
    The headset bearings will probably need replacement soon

Sorted everything except the bearings so hopefully no problems tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

cdaly_ wrote: »
    When the battery dies on the road you can't just change it for a spare.

Does anyone carry spare batteries for their lights?
    (I know with standard sizes you can go to a shop)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,884 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Tried it out today, same mushroom head design with that horrible wheel based tightening system Lidl always used that inflates the size, maybe I just have a giant head, I cant find a helmet that doesnt make me look like a complete twat.

Thargor wrote: »
    Tried it out today, same mushroom head design with that horrible wheel based tightening system Lidl always used that inflates the size, maybe I just have a giant head, I cant find a helmet that doesnt make me look like a complete twat.

I have the same issue with helmets, KASK is the only one where I only look like a partial twat rather than a full one. Pay a pretty penny to only look like a partial twat though

Kask Mojito

EDIT: There's Specialized one too but don't recall which one, but it do recall it was twice the price of the Kask. Oh actually might have it if I check my email for the order as I had one and left it behind me in a car park when putting the bike on the car but it was probably the least mushroom like I've come across.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Effects wrote: »
    Does anyone carry spare batteries for their lights?
    (I know with standard sizes you can go to a shop)

I've done on Audaxes, there mightn't be a shop, and it might be shut anyway.
    Didn't need them in the end.

I had a lidl 4xAA headlight, and a lidl usb rechargable, got 6 hours with them

• Advertisement

I actually carry spare lights, rechargable ones in Aldi were such good value I just leave them in my bag as back up to my Cycliq lights.

I cant find a helmet that doesnt make me look like a complete twat.
    show me someone who is improved by the addition of a helmet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,217 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I find Giro to be good helmets for the big headed among us

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭saccades

show me someone who is improved by the addition of a helmet.

Judge Dredd.

he gets to decide that, not you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,885 ✭✭✭cletus

I bought a can of the brake cleaner. Im pretty sure its similar to electronic contact cleaner, but cheaper. Will give it a shot when time allows

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭ridelikeaturtle

I picked up a set of the panniers for my niece and her 80s Peugeot mixte - the roll-top style that look like a copy of something Ortlieb would create, using the same heavy-duty nylon and plastic-coated water repellent material.

The are brilliant, especially for the price, they clip on solidly and seem great quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

cletus wrote: »
    I bought a can of the brake cleaner. Im pretty sure its similar to electronic contact cleaner, but cheaper. Will give it a shot when time allows

I'm pretty sure it's not! Electronic cleaner is quite light and should mostly evaporate quickly. Brake cleaner is harsher and won't evaporate. It is a great degreaser though so be careful using it around bearings and don't use it on anything electronic!

the brake cleaner i've bought there before evaporates far too quickly, to the point where the can goes unused.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,885 ✭✭✭cletus

I'm pretty sure it's not! Electronic cleaner is quite light and should mostly evaporate quickly. Brake cleaner is harsher and won't evaporate. It is a great degreaser though so be careful using it around bearings and don't use it on anything electronic!

I hope it evaporates, I don't want to have to clean the brake cleaner off my brakes :D

I assumed it was just compressed air and isopropyl alcohol, possibly some other solvent as well. I also assumed it wouldn't be anywhere near as harsh as the brake fluid used for cars.

I'll have a look at the info on the bottle when I get home

*edit* I stand corrected. It would appear to be a non chlorinated brake cleaner using some form of hydrocarbons rather that isopropyl alcohol.

In fact, even though there is a picture of a bicycle brake disc, the instructions say it is suitable for drum and disc brakes, as well as clutch and engine parts

Advertisement