Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi-LIDL Specials - Megathread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,652 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Bloody skiers, they don't even pay piste tax, Joe

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭emalou

Apologies, I searched 'aldi lidl specials' and didn't notice it was in Cycling, I see that now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Don't mix cycling and skiing

Very dangerous altogether:-

https://youtu.be/m2gwFkCU1Q4

• Registered Users Posts: 9,322 ✭✭✭Macy0161

this is the aldi/lidl thread for the cycling forum, so it's very likely no-one here would be paying heed to that.
    Merino and other winter base layers and action cams in previous years in the ski specials! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭JMcL

cletus wrote: »

Does anybody have that floor to ceiling rack, and if so, any good?
    No sizes listed - big problem for bigger gents who may need XXL in some items.

It's been a while since I bought any gear other than gloves in Aldi/Lidl, but when I did, I always found I had to size down to get something I wasn't floating in as opposed to the more common sizing up where bike gear is concerned. Don't know it that still holds true, but I'd say get thee to a shop and try to see (though this latter advice doesn't apply to shorts!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,619 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

emalou wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone knows when Aldi/Lidl will have their ski wear specials in store again?

I'm heading away at the start of November and wondering if they will have stuff in before that.

Thanks.

Would say it will be in November but likely towards the end of it. Where are you going for snow in early November? You might be disappointed to be going that early.

Anyway is this the first time they've had a turbo trainer for sale? Or has anyone bought one from them before, if so comments welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭lochdara

Trainers are normally bought and returned due to their noise levels. That's why this thread is so useful for.

Currently fundraising for Irish Motor Neurone Disease Association

In Memory of my fab Wife www.sinsin.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭HugoMyBoss

lochdara wrote: »
    Trainers are normally bought and returned due to their noise levels. That's why this thread is so useful for.

Are you talking about the indoor bike trainers currently on sale at the moment?

Anyone else know if these are good quality or recommend, thinking of getting one today?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

I bought a pair of wets this morning. Brought them home and realised they were identical to the useless ones I'd bought them to replace. Boomeranged back.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

HugoMyBoss wrote: »
    Are you talking about the indoor bike trainers currently on sale at the moment?

Anyone else know if these are good quality or recommend, thinking of getting one today?

Same as the last ones, if you don't mind the noise they are grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Just got merino wool long sleeve base layer.

It fits perfectly but is super itchy. Does it just need a wash?

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭HugoMyBoss

bazermc wrote: »

All new clothes should be washed before wearing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

The pair of lamps for €18:
    The front light has that nuisance plug over a fixed usb male pin for charging. Lose the plug and the thing will be rather vulnerable.
    Still, three power settings and flashing or fixed, so I got a few. Invariably I lose lamps or they get stolen, so cheap and cheerful is my preferred option. Perhaps the beam isn't great for really dark cycling, but that's not my habit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

bazermc wrote: »

Brought mine back last year as seriously itchy, but never worn merino before so don't know if its it or merino, suspect its it

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

Roadtoad wrote: »
    The pair of lamps for €18:
    The front light has that nuisance plug over a fixed usb male pin for charging. Lose the plug and the thing will be rather vulnerable.
    Still, three power settings and flashing or fixed, so I got a few. Invariably I lose lamps or they get stolen, so cheap and cheerful is my preferred option. Perhaps the beam isn't great for really dark cycling, but that's not my habit.

Bought a front light and a rear light for the bike last week, they cost me 73 euros for the pair. The front light is 1000 lumen and is the most powerful light i have ever used. The rear light alone is 300 lumen. Both were purchased in Halfords. Having been knocked off my bike twice IN BROAD DAYLIGHT by drivers who said they 'didnt see me', I simply do not see the benefit in scrimping on lights from Aldi or Lidl for the sake of saving a few quid. On dark wet winter evenings at the height of rush hour I want to increase the chance of a driver in their cosy SUV with the radio on , windscreen wipers and aircon blasting, of seeing me in my bike. Spend the extra few quid folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,322 ✭✭✭Macy0161

If they're not going to see an Aldi light, they're simply not looking. 1000 lumen is overkill in a street light urban setting imo. In fact, depending on dispersal pattern, it could be more dangerous if it's blinding other road users.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Count Down

The non-Merino base layer top I bought last year and found it to be excellent, so I bought another this time. Nice and light, very comfortable and warm.
    Can't go wrong for a tenner.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭EAFC_rdfl

What lumen is the aldi light?

The front one seems close to being as strong as my Cateye Volt 300. Certainly strong enough for commuting in unlit areas at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

The Aldi lights are fine, j have mine 2 years and both still working without issue. You need a micro USB cable to charge the rear light, the front one slots into any USB plug.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,772 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i didn't know aldi had opened up in the states.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Somedaythefire

i didn't know aldi had opened up in the states.

The Aldi we have has over a thousand stores in the US and they've been there since the 70's

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

The Aldi we have has over a thousand stores in the US and they've been there since the 70's

They have also owned another chain of supermarkets over there since the lat 70s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

I could be wrong, but Aldi Süd which we have here are in the States as Aldi and Aldi Nord, the other Aldi brother, owns Trader Joe’s (but it runs independently).

Also, battery life in Aldi front lights not great. Three to four hours at best. Mightn’t be an issue for many but wanted to highlight. Strong light though.

I could be wrong, but Aldi Süd which we have here are in the States as Aldi and Aldi Nord, the other Aldi brother, owns Trader Joe’s (but it runs independently).

Also, battery life in Aldi front lights not great. Three to four hours at best. Mightn’t be an issue for many but wanted to highlight. Strong light though.

You can turn the power down to improve the life expectancy. I got mine last year, but couldn't tell you what the expectancy is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

CramCycle wrote: »
    You can turn the power down to improve the life expectancy. I got mine last year, but couldn't tell you what the expectancy is.

Yes, should of made that clear, but for dark country lane type stuff, you are defo limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

reg114 wrote: »
    Bought a front light and a rear light for the bike last week, they cost me 73 euros for the pair. The front light is 1000 lumen and is the most powerful light i have ever used. The rear light alone is 300 lumen. Both were purchased in Halfords. Having been knocked off my bike twice IN BROAD DAYLIGHT by drivers who said they 'didnt see me', I simply do not see the benefit in scrimping on lights from Aldi or Lidl for the sake of saving a few quid. On dark wet winter evenings at the height of rush hour I want to increase the chance of a driver in their cosy SUV with the radio on , windscreen wipers and aircon blasting, of seeing me in my bike. Spend the extra few quid folks.

Speaking as someone who recently got knocked off my bike by a driver who also “didn’t see me” I can say visibility has nothing to do with it. If a driver is not looking at the road then it doesn’t matter what lights or high viz you are wearing. Drivers need to watch the road, to their phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,652 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Has anyone seen any hint of imminent cycling specials? It looks like Lidl's last set was August and Aldi was September so we should be due something soon.

I need some stuff, so I'm trying to work out whether to hang on or look elsewhere.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I actually was in Aldi recently and I wandered down to the specials area (as you do!).
    Found a pair of Merino socks for €4.99 from a sale that was on some weeks ago. I'm dead chuffed with them - lovely and comfy.
    Was in again last week getting a few bananas for a spin the following day and found another pair (reduced to €1.99).

I doubt that there'll be another sale soon though :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭the boss of me

I found a bike stand in Aldi Royal Canal Park reduced from €25 to €14. Seems quite sturdy and can be mounted on the wall or floor.. there was five or six still left this evening..

Advertisement