Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are you taking part in any LGBTQ events for pride month?

Comments

Mr.Frame wrote:
    First off, you may see one or two guys with no shirts on and wearing shorts (weather permitting of course), but if you look around Dublin city on any hot day , you will see plenty of guys doing the same, shirtless and wearing shorts.

Not at an event where they are promoting their sexuality.
    Mr.Frame wrote:
    But somehow because its a few gay guys that do it in a parade, it is deemed to be a "parade that is sexualised", which is utter rubbish,

Because it is a parade that celebrates their sexuality.
    Mr.Frame wrote:
    As for not bringing children to it, again, I would say that is down to someones own bigotry and belief that the gays are all a bunch of perverts and shouldnt be "near children". Yup, again its utter rubbish.

Yeah, but nobody said that. We just said that a place where people want to celebrate their sexuality shouldn't be a place where kids are.

That makes me a bigot apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

No , I won't be going as I don't like parades but let them off.
    I always remember at school a camp young fella getting beaten up for being who he was.
    I hope the cowards that did it are sickened by all the Pride events.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Mr.Frame

Not at an event where they are promoting their sexuality.

Oh dear God

Because it is a parade that celebrates their sexuality.

Yeah, but nobody said that. We just said that a place where people want to celebrate their sexuality shouldn't be a place where kids are.

That makes me a bigot apparently.

Why? Why shouldnt Pride be a place for kids ? What could happen? Do you think those pesky gayers would indoctrinate the kids ? is that it ?

Mr.Frame wrote:
    There are numerous homophobic attacks,on an all too often basis, many of which go unreported. Some ARE physical, but many many are verbal abuse.

Shocking. A lot of people get physically attacked for things they can't change about themselves.

Some people are pricks.

Some lad who gets called speccy or some girl who gets called a minger should have a pride day for themselves?

Ireland has come so far. From homosexuality being illegal to having an overwhelming majority vote in favour of gay marriage and having an openly homosexual head of state in less than a lifetime is amazing.

Yet some people here think that we are a homophobic country because we think that some aspects of "pride" are a bit too much.

Perpetual victims who do nothing but try to continually demand to be treated as equals yet demand special treatment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,756 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Is there any straight pride events over the next few weeks?

The queue at krispe kreme

Mr.Frame wrote:
    Why? Why shouldnt Pride be a place for kids ? What could happen? Do you think those pesky gayers would indoctrinate the kids ? is that it ?

Because as I have explained earlier, children shouldn't be concerned about pride in their, or anyone elses, sexuality.

There is nothing to be proud of.

And children shouldn't be taught that.

For clarity, I would object to kids going to a straight pride march.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 499 ✭✭SirGerryAdams

Mr.Frame wrote: »
    Ive been to many a pride parade and have never seen guys in assless chaps. I have though, every weekend in town , seen girls with low cut tops showing off their breasts and wearing mini skirts showing off their underware .

But,thats ok I presume since its "girls" and they are heterosexuals and sure the "lads like that kind of thing"

double standards anyone ?

Eh...who is saying Dublin pubs at 12 o clock on a Friday night are acceptable for kids?

Just because we have marriage equality,it doesnt mean that homophobia isnt alive and well.

Its an ongoing battle.

There are numerous homophobic attacks,on an all too often basis, many of which go unreported. Some ARE physical, but many many are verbal abuse.

Yeah just like gingers would get abused too. Or fat people. Or people with glasses. or people with a limp etc. etc.

The list goes on.

Eh...who is saying Dublin pubs at 12 o clock on a Friday night are acceptable for kids?

If those girls were on a float at 2pm on O'Connell st talking about how proud they were that they love cocks, he might have a point.

Because as I have explained earlier, children shouldn't be concerned about pride in their, or anyone elses, sexuality.

There is nothing to be proud of.

And children shouldn't be taught that.

For clarity, I would object to kids going to a straight pride march.

You do realise that it is a carnival ?

Theres no one going around with badges saying "I am a gayer beware".

Perhaps children should be taught that familes come in all shapes and sizes ,in other words diversity is the reality.
    By "hiding" away from reality you are in effectively saying there is something wrong with LGBT people

• Advertisement

Yeah just like gingers would get abused too. Or fat people. Or people with glasses. or people with a limp etc. etc.

The list goes on.

Oh please, dont throw that one out, we've heard it all before. Trying to equate the abuse (both physical and verbal )that LGBT people get to those who are ginger or fat or wear glasses,is a non runner and quite frankly is pathetic.

Ive been to many a Pride parade and I can safely say that 99.9% of those participating in it are having fun and are FULLY clothed.

It always a source of amusement (im being sarcastic) when people say "pride is nothing but scantily clad men" or "its not for children",

First off, you may see one or two guys with no shirts on and wearing shorts (weather permitting of course), but if you look around Dublin city on any hot day , you will see plenty of guys doing the same, shirtless and wearing shorts.

But somehow because its a few gay guys that do it in a parade, it is deemed to be a "parade that is sexualised", which is utter rubbish,

As for not bringing children to it, again, I would say that is down to someones own bigotry and belief that the gays are all a bunch of perverts and shouldnt be "near children". Yup, again its utter rubbish.

Pride parade is a fun filled day. To a gay person it is usually the only day they can feel completely safe to walk down O Connell street holding their partners hand, without fear of abuse,be it verbal or physical.

Ocassionally I may hold my partners hand in town (apart from Pride) but i am very conscious of my surroundings. Plus you will ALWAYS get "looks" off people.

So to those who complain about Pride parade, I would suggest you go along and see how joyous a thing it is and be safe in the knowledge that if you do go , you wont become a homo.

It doesnt work like that

For these people gays must be silent, sober, invisible and child friendly at all times. The wont somebody please think of the children and allegations of excessive alcohol intake are just their sword and shield in a campaign of bigotry.

Mr.Frame wrote:
    Perhaps children should be taught that familes come in all shapes and sizes ,in other words diversity is the reality. By "hiding" away from reality you are in effectively saying there is something wrong with LGBT people

Yeah. I do reach my daughter that. But funnily enough, if I sent my daughter to school and told her to tell her that she was "proud" that she had a mam and a dad and they were straight, I'd have social services at my door.

I teach my daughter that there are unusual families. None is better than the other.

Hard to teach her that everyone is equal when certain members of a community want to emphasize how different and diverse they are.

As I said, for a long time gay people wanted to be accepted. They were. Now some of them want to be celebrated. No. That's where I draw the line.

Mr.Frame wrote:
    Oh please, dont throw that one out, we've heard it all before. Trying to equate the abuse (both physical and verbal )that LGBT people get to those who are ginger or fat or wear glasses,is a non runner and quite frankly is pathetic.

Unless you are ginger and wear glasses and are straight, your opinion is invalid.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I think it's great that there is such a visible support of gay/LGBT rights these days.

I can also understand how it can appear very pushy, a bit OTT.

I have no political agenda apart from this, just saying this as a 46 year old gay male person (ticking the boxes).

I wish things were different in my days of growing up in school. I was lucky not to be harassed (not gay enough probably!), but the level of education we got was dire. And for straight people too. A lot has changed for the better. At least we can discuss things.

Shocking. A lot of people get physically attacked for things they can't change about themselves.

Some people are pricks.

Some lad who gets called speccy or some girl who gets called a minger should have a pride day for themselves?

Ireland has come so far. From homosexuality being illegal to having an overwhelming majority vote in favour of gay marriage and having an openly homosexual head of state in less than a lifetime is amazing.

Yet some people here think that we are a homophobic country because we think that some aspects of "pride" are a bit too much.

Perpetual victims who do nothing but try to continually demand to be treated as equals yet demand special treatment.

I don't think anyone is claiming that Ireland in 2019 is a bad place the gays. In fact itd be difficult to argue that it's not in the top 10 pro lgbt places in the world.

And neither I or anyone I know of think that people like you who have an issue with pride are in any way representative of general society. Pride is well attended by straight people and indeed lots of children. The crowds of onlookers last year must have numbered in the hundreds of thousands, all very positive, all smiling and waving. Its really only a tiny % of dour phobes who get their tits in a twist over the vague possibility of a child seeing an arse cheek.

cgcsb wrote: »
    For these people gays must be silent, sober, invisible and child friendly at all times. The wont somebody please think of the children and allegations of excessive alcohol intake are just their sword and shield in a campaign of bigotry.

In a nutshell.

Well said .

igCorcaigh wrote:
    I think it's great that there is such a visible support of gay/LGBT rights these days.

igCorcaigh wrote:
    I can also understand how it can appear very pushy, a bit OTT.

Absolutely. Couldn't agree more

Why? Is it because there's more gay people to massage your ego for defending them?

Do you think a ginger lad attacked for being ginger doesn't feel fear but a gay person attacked for being gay does?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

No - this business of Month of this or that is pure Americanism.

Why? Is it because there's more gay people to massage your ego for defending them?

Do you think a ginger lad attacked for being ginger doesn't feel fear but a gay person attacked for being gay does?

The people bullying the ginger didn't have the state, the education system, their family, the church and the ginger persons family on their side though.

cgcsb wrote:
    And neither I or anyone I know of think that people like you who have an issue with pride are in any way representative of general society. Pride is well attended by straight people and indeed lots of children. The crowds of onlookers last year must have numbered in the hundreds of thousands, all very positive, all smiling and waving. Its really only a tiny % of dour phobes who get their tits in a twist over the vague possibility of a child seeing an arse cheek.

Getting your "tits in a twist"over the vague chance of a child seeing an arse cheek at a homosexual pride festival?

Yeah.

I would actually.

Kind of why I don't bring the kids to open day in Lapellos.

Even the slightest chance of my daughter seeing a stranger's arse cheek at a parade celebrating their sexuality is not something I will subject her to.

What planet do you live on? Why would I want my child smiling and waving at that?

cgcsb wrote:
    The people bullying the ginger didn't have the state, the education system, their family, the church and the ginger persons family on their side though.

No. We fought to stop that oppression. Gay people are equal (and rightly so). So you could argue, nobody has fought for the gingers

Yeah. I do reach my daughter that. But funnily enough, if I sent my daughter to school and told her to tell her that she was "proud" that she had a mam and a dad and they were straight, I'd have social services at my door.

Meaningless comment
    I teach my daughter that there are unusual families. None is better than the other.

Gay families are not "unusual" by the way. Nor is anyone saying that LGBT families are better than any other type of family. Not sure where you are getting that from.
    Hard to teach her that everyone is equal when certain members of a community want to emphasize how different and diverse they are.

As I said, for a long time gay people wanted to be accepted. They were. Now some of them want to be celebrated. No. That's where I draw the line.

Youre mask is slipping even further it seems and no, you are definitely not homophobic, in any way shape or form.

Exactly this.
    I think it must be hard for people to imagine how it could be, at the age of 11, 12, etc. to be confronted with a reality that goes against the grain of all of society. It's bloody harsh.

• Advertisement

Getting your "tits in a twist"over the vague chance of a child seeing an arse cheek at a homosexual pride festival?

Yeah.

I would actually.

Even the slightest chance of my daughter seeing a stranger's arse cheek at a parade celebrating their sexuality is not something I will subject her to.

What planet do you live on? Why would I want my child smiling and waving at that?

Plenty of ass cheeks (all female) on display at this years St PAtricks day parade, you must have missed that.

Yeah.

I would actually.

You've already explained that your daughter winces at kissing, obviously you've opted for the Victorian method of child rearing, fair dues, most people acknowledge that humans have arse cheeks though and that the human body isn't something to be afraid of.

No. We fought to stop that oppression. Gay people are equal (and rightly so). So you could argue, nobody has fought for the gingers

So you are just going to ignore the fact that someone bullying a ginger never had state and societal support in doing so.

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Exactly this.
    I think it must be hard for people to imagine how it could be, at the age of 11, 12, etc. to be confronted with a reality that goes against the grain of all of society. It's bloody harsh.

These people don't want to get it. They just want to make meaningless throw away comparisons and screech about the children and alcohol.

Mr.Frame wrote:
    Gay families are not "unusual" by the way. Nor is anyone saying that LGBT families are better than any other type of family. Not sure where you are getting that from.

Yes they are. It is quite unusual to have two mammies or two daddies. It's much more common to either come from a mam and dad parent situation or a single parent situation than it is to be a child of a gay couple.

So yes. It is unusual.
    Mr.Frame wrote:
    Youre mask is slipping even further it seems and no, you are definitely not homophobic, in any way shape or form.

No I'm not. I hate victim complexes. I think certain people on this thread are doing a disservice to the many people who embrace their sexuality without needing to chastise those who don't wholesale agree with their mindset.

You go do what you want to chief. Just don't accuse me of my mask slipping because I don't want my daughter to be part of a celebration of where you choose to put your penis/vagina

• Advertisement

To be fair, I wouldn't like a family day like pride to be including fetish wear and arse cheeks.
    Nor have I seen it though.
    Keep that to the club lads, common sense.

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    To be fair, I wouldn't like a family day like pride to be including fetish wear and arse cheeks.
    Nor have I seen it though.
    Keep that to the club lads, common sense.

The sightings of nudity at pride tend to be confined to people who've never been funnily enough

cgcsb wrote:
    You've already explained that your daughter winces at kissing, obviously you've opted for the Victorian method of child rearing, fair dues, most people acknowledge that humans have arse cheeks though and that the human body isn't something to be afraid of.

Yeah she winces at kissing when it happens on the telly and she is watching with her mam and me. Same as if I give her mam a kiss. She says "ewwww". I've never told her it's bad or wrong. She just isn't interested and frankly at the stage of "boys are icky, I want to play with my Barbie".

How Victorian is that? I suppose I should be more modern and sit her down and explain the complexities of pansexuality and otherkins?

Do you like watching erotic scenes with your parents? I know kissing is hardly erotic for adults, but to a seven year old it is a bit.

She's aware that people have arse cheeks. I just don't see a need to show her those of a stranger's. She is not afraid of them. Just not in any need to see them.

The sightings of nudity at pride tend to be confined to people who've never been funnily enough

Yeah, pictures from the internet can be used as grenades in the battle. I know where it comes from.

Mr.Frame wrote:
    Plenty of ass cheeks (all female) on display at this years St PAtricks day parade, you must have missed that.

You must have missed the part when I said "a parade about their sexuality".

She goes to gym. She sees girls wearing gym slips. I bring her swimming. She sees boys in trunks.

Different scenarios. Context matters.

It's not a parade about sexuality though, it's a celebration of recently won rights.
    My sexuality is my own business, it's the others who have used it against me.
    But those days are gone.

igCorcaigh wrote:
    It's not a parade about sexuality though, it's a celebration of recently won rights. My sexuality is my own business, it's the others who have used it against me. But those days are gone.

Absolutely. I have been taken off my point and I apologise. As I have stated, I have no issue with the parade. I just wouldn't bring my daughter. That was my whole point.

I understand why people would want to celebrate and I stand with them with that. There are certain elements in the "community" that seem to attack anyone who isn't wholesale "on brand" and they are the ones I take issue with.

To clarify and to put any doubts to rest;

I personally don't think pride is family friendly

I don't think anyone should be proud of how they were born

I can see how people would like to commemorate and celebrate people who have fought for their freedom

I think that people are equal regardless of their sexual orientation/skin colour etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

You must have missed the part when I said "a parade about their sexuality".

She goes to gym. She sees girls wearing gym slips. I bring her swimming. She sees boys in trunks.

Different scenarios. Context matters.

You sound incredibly uptight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Each to their own. But a month is a bit excessive.

Imagine the likes of Darkness into Light or Daffodil Day had a month's long exposure? Far more worthy no?

And the often over-sexualised nature of some of the participants is the reason why there is still bigotry. If they were understated and celebrating how much the movement has evolved rather than emphasising their sexuality in an exaggerated manner, the homophobes would have less grounds for disgust. And we all know the lad around town who loves the fact he is a womanizer and shoves his heterosexuality down your throat-rightly called out for been an ass too. Sometimes modesty is the most effective.

At the end of the day, the LGBTQ community have more equality than ever before. We fricking voted for same-sex marriage well ahead of most of the world. Having an annual parade shouldn't be as big a deal any more. But then again I am not a gay man so couldn't possibly have an opinion on the matter.

Woke Hogan wrote:

Please explain. How is not wanting my daughter to be exposed to sexual politics uptight?

• Advertisement

Please explain. How is not wanting my daughter to be exposed to sexual politics uptight?

Don’t waste your time. Total wind up merchant there.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Hedgelayer

Woke Hogan wrote: »

I don't think he does.
    I'm a very alpha masculine gay man and for the life of me, I cannot find much attractive about pride parades.

All that prancing around and guy's in chaps, bondage gear etc looks very inappropriate and it's not what I'd want my nephew and nieces seeing, guy's gyrating and simulating sex.
    Almost like a Frankie goes to Hollywood live video in your face.
    There's a time and place for that.
    Then the rubbish German techno music is another turn off.

Why undermine your sexuality by bringing it to the gutter.
    If one's happy with their lot they don't need an audience.

If it was a private adult only celebration I wouldn't see anything wrong with it, but in public in my opinion it's inappropriate.

Absolutely. I have been taken off my point and I apologise. As I have stated, I have no issue with the parade. I just wouldn't bring my daughter. That was my whole point.

I understand why people would want to celebrate and I stand with them with that. There are certain elements in the "community" that seem to attack anyone who isn't wholesale "on brand" and they are the ones I take issue with.

To clarify and to put any doubts to rest;

I personally don't think pride is family friendly

I don't think anyone should be proud of how they were born

I can see how people would like to commemorate and celebrate people who have fought for their freedom

I think that people are equal regardless of their sexual orientation/skin colour etc

The original point of pride was to counteract the shame that was in built

I hope things have moved on.

igCorcaigh wrote:
    The original point of pride was to counteract the shame that was in built .

Yes I know. And through years of struggle, homosexuality is now normalised, just as what was wanted.

Cowboy hats and hot pants clad men seem to be doing the opposite of normalising the cause.

Each to their own though. Just find it ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭TheDiceMan2020

When I saw the absolute ****ing state of those garda cars I thought it was a joke.

Can't believe they are doing that. They should be staying out of things like that.

What next? Gardai wearing hijabs for a month to celebrate Islam?

I was also reminded of this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

Or is it something that you've to do in your work place?

You really do have to wonder where the priorities of the guards are. They have time to celebrate a changing society when they have so much change needed within their own ranks?

You really do have to wonder where the priorities of the guards are. They have time to celebrate a changing society when they have so much change needed within their own ranks?

They have to be aware of the agro that people get. They used to regularly pay us a visit in the nightclub. Keeping an eye on crime. Never when the stones came through the windows though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Pride is to sexuality as st Patrick’s day is to zoology.. cos he banished snakes

Sexuality has really noting to do with pride whatsoever. If you have a problem with people celebrating the ability to be who they are and our new hard won equality the problem lies with you yourself.

Ps nobody wears bondage gear or assless chaps to pride.

It simply doesn’t happen. Can we drop that nonsense please?

You’d know that if you actually went and took part. Instilling prejudice into your children isn’t great parenting either by the way. You’ll find your kids growing and rejecting that and rebelling against you doing it soon enough.

You’d know that if you actually went and took part. Instilling prejudice into your children isn’t great parenting either by the way. You’ll find your kids growing and rejecting that and rebelling against you doing it soon enough.

Who mentioned instilling prejudice into children?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

This is my line too.

I don't care if you're gay, I honestly don't. Stick what you want where you want- but I'm fúcked if I'm going to cheer you on for it. Why should I, I just don't think it's all that impressive!

I don't feel like I deserve a parade just for liking fanny, I just quietly get on with the business of liking fanny. I'm not in any way proud of that fact, I had nothing to do with it, it's not like I had to work on it!

Advertisement