Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you taking part in any LGBTQ events for pride month?

Options

Comments

The auld Stagg in the park ya see.

Oh deer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Won't be doing anything, and I dislike companies using Pride as a cash cow, but marking the 50th anniversary of Stonewall seems worthwhile to me. Won't be attending though as big mad piss-ups aren't for me. Same as the way I don't attend St. Patrick's Day events.
    I’m waiting for the straight month to celebrate. Anyone know when that is??
    But when were straight people ostracised/abused for being straight? When was heterosexuality a crime?

I know things have come a long way since the dark days (and they were very dark) but I understand a celebration of how far things have come, and how hard people worked to make it so.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,671 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

klaaaz wrote: »
    That's excellent news One Eyed Jack that you've turned a corner and won't be holding up your protest sign at the Pride, it makes me as a LGBT ally not to look out for you on the day! Strangely I have never met you in the organising sphere of Dublin Pride(assuming you are in the big schmoke :) )

Under his eye klaaaz, eh? :pac:

Not sure what you on about on the political front but i'd agree that there is uneasy tension within the community about corporates taking over Pride full of non-LGBT marchers(while ignoring disabled access) plus the recently separate Trans Pride to get away from the corporate takeover.

I don’t believe for a minute you’re uncertain as to what I’m on about on the political front when you’ve always been quite vocal about your distaste for people who are conservative or religious, ignoring of course the fact that being LGBT, conservative or religious are not mutually exclusive concepts, As demonstrated to you before by the example of Caitlyn Jenner who some people will try their best to exclude from these types of events and still have the balls to call themselves a “community”.

The fact is that without the aid of corporate sponsorship, Pride wouldn’t have become the social event on the Hallmark Calendar that it is now, so understandably that is going to cause conflict between people who wish to remain marginalised and lament the idea that “society doesn’t accept them”, and those people who aren’t marginalised “enough” to be part of “the movement” any more. And that’s why Trans Pride has evolved, not to get away from any corporate sponsorship, but rather to promote their own victimhood, because the Pride movement has become “too mainstream” for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

No I will be avoiding everything related to pride. I treat gays like every other person I meet. I will not put gays on a pedestal and treat them like they're different to straight people. I also don't support corps using gay people as a tool to make money. Shame on them.

If gay people are bullied, attacked etc, the law is there to protect them. We have voted for marriage equality. Ireland is a place where gays are widely accepted as equal and I think it's absolutely stupid that you'd need to have a parade for people to know gays are supported.

Racism exists in the gaa at underage levels...why aren't the GAA doing a black pride march for them?

Irish people were victims of racism in the UK and still are yet I don't see any Irish Pride marches there?

I know gay lads who are dead sound and are just like everyone else. Then I see a lot of gay lads acting like being gay is an identity....like Daffyd from Little Britain.
    Everyone knows that, and yeh probably dont 'need' pride(in ireland), but its just a bit of fun. What is the harm

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I also agree that Pride has got way too corporatised and commercial and these big bucks companies ”sponsoring” Pride is all about shameless promotion, advertising and money making. There are always strings attached.

This is a problem common to most big Pride events worldwide nowadays, but in the early days, when Pride marches were real protests against discrimination, intolerance and criminalisation, very very few companies wanted to be in any way associated with the gay rights movement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

I don’t believe for a minute you’re uncertain as to what I’m on about on the political front when you’ve always been quite vocal about your distaste for people who are conservative or religious, ignoring of course the fact that being LGBT, conservative or religious are not mutually exclusive concepts, As demonstrated to you before by the example of Caitlyn Jenner who some people will try their best to exclude from these types of events and still have the balls to call themselves a “community”.

The fact is that without the aid of corporate sponsorship, Pride wouldn’t have become the social event on the Hallmark Calendar that it is now, so understandably that is going to cause conflict between people who wish to remain marginalised and lament the idea that “society doesn’t accept them”, and those people who aren’t marginalised “enough” to be part of “the movement” any more. And that’s why Trans Pride has evolved, not to get away from any corporate sponsorship, but rather to promote their own victimhood, because the Pride movement has become “too mainstream” for them.

Oh Jack, where have our hugs gone? :o

Conservatives/religious or just conservative religious people have never accepted Pride due to their Biblical obsession despite them breaking other rules of their devout book!

As for Caitlyn who you brought up, she came from a super rich background which the vast majority of trans people have no relation to, that person does not represent the trans community. As you know the vast majority of the trans community still suffer discrimination in our own country. As to the Trans Pride which is not victimhood as you put it despite your laughable past "thorough" knowledge of their issues, you're completely wrong. They need to demonstrate for their needs and recently had a meeting with our beloved health minister, but of course you didn't know that as you don't give a hoot about trans people.

Oh Jack, where have our hugs gone? :o

They weren’t “our” hugs in the first place! There was you telling me I should try hugging people, I said I’m not into that, and in our very next interaction you ignored the fact that I had made you aware I’m not into that sort of thing. That whole episode is entirely about you, not me. I didn’t want any part of your hugging people. It’s weird, frankly. I can understand a child wanting to hug people and I make allowances for them, but an adult behaving like a child? No.

Conservatives/religious or just conservative religious people have never accepted Pride due to their Biblical obsession despite them breaking other rules of their devout book!

Absolute nonsense. You’re speaking as though every religious/conservative person is of the same mindset when the reality is that they aren’t. Just like your faulty assumptions about people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender that they are all of the same mindset as yourself. They’re evidently not. That’s why Pride has been overtaken by, and become a vehicle for, people who share your political beliefs, and less of a movement that people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender can identify with - because they simply have nothing in common any more with what Pride has become.

As for Caitlyn who you brought up, she came from a super rich background which the vast majority of trans people have no relation to, that person does not represent the trans community. As you know the vast majority of the trans community still suffer discrimination in our own country.

Actually, as much as you hate to acknowledge her, she is transgender, and she is one of the most high profile representatives of people who are transgender, along with a whole host of celebrities. Because as I have also pointed out to you before - conditions such as gender dysphoria don’t give a shìte for a persons politics. They’re a naturally occurring phenomenon in humans, as demonstrated among the Hijra people of India who don’t share Western cultural conceptions of gender and sexuality.

I don’t agree with you either that the vast majority of people who are transgender suffer discrimination in our own country. Everyone experiences discrimination of one form or another on a daily basis, and I don’t agree for a minute that people who are transgender experience any greater discrimination than anyone else in Irish society. If you’d said the vast majority of members of the traveller community I might have agreed you had a point, but the vast majority of people who are transgender? No.

As to the Trans Pride which is not victimhood as you put it despite your laughable past "thorough" knowledge of their issues, you're completely wrong. They need to demonstrate for their needs and recently had a meeting with our beloved health minister, but of course you didn't know that as you don't give a hoot about trans people.

That’s exactly what it is - some people believe they are even greater victims than mainstream Pride will acknowledge, and so they set up their own little parade. They’re the MGTOW of the Pride movement. I do care about people btw, I just don’t care for your politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

No plans to, like others have commented its not really for me as i don't fit the demographic.

They weren’t “our” hugs in the first place! There was you telling me I should try hugging people, I said I’m not into that, and in our very next interaction you ignored the fact that I had made you aware I’m not into that sort of thing. That whole episode is entirely about you, not me. I didn’t want any part of your hugging people. It’s weird, frankly. I can understand a child wanting to hug people and I make allowances for them, but an adult behaving like a child? No.

Is this you showing your sensitive side, perhaps you have feelings?
    Absolute nonsense. You’re speaking as though every religious/conservative person is of the same mindset when the reality is that they aren’t. Just like your faulty assumptions about people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender that they are all of the same mindset as yourself. They’re evidently not. That’s why Pride has been overtaken by, and become a vehicle for, people who share your political beliefs, and less of a movement that people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender can identify with - because they simply have nothing in common any more with what Pride has become.

Actually, as much as you hate to acknowledge her, she is transgender, and she is one of the most high profile representatives of people who are transgender, along with a whole host of celebrities. Because as I have also pointed out to you before - conditions such as gender dysphoria don’t give a shìte for a persons politics. They’re a naturally occurring phenomenon in humans, as demonstrated among the Hijra people of India who don’t share Western cultural conceptions of gender and sexuality.

Caitlyn is not a rep of the transgender community, where did you spring that one from? Watching too much of the Kardashian shows?
    I don’t agree with you either that the vast majority of people who are transgender suffer discrimination in our own country. Everyone experiences discrimination of one form or another on a daily basis, and I don’t agree for a minute that people who are transgender experience any greater discrimination than anyone else in Irish society. If you’d said the vast majority of members of the traveller community I might have agreed you had a point, but the vast majority of people who are transgender? No.

That’s exactly what it is - some people believe they are even greater victims than mainstream Pride will acknowledge, and so they set up their own little parade. They’re the MGTOW of the Pride movement. I do care about people btw, I just don’t care for your politics.

Oh yes they do suffer discrimination even walking down the street as simple as transphobes get upset at their appearance, those offended men are so delicate.

Caitlyn is not a rep of the transgender community, where did you spring that one from? Watching too much of the Kardashian shows?

How to qualify as representative of people who are transgender- be transgender.

She fits the bill.

Oh yes they do suffer discrimination even walking down the street as simple as transphobes get upset at their appearance, those offended men are so delicate.

I’m not sure which offended men you’re referring to as delicate offended men - transgender men or transphobic men? Either way it’s still not comparable to the discrimination faced by the traveller community in Irish society, and to claim that you face anything like the same discrimination they face is just laughable.

• Advertisement

How to qualify as representative of people who are transgender- be transgender.

She fits the bill.

No she does not represent the transgender community, show us your proof that she does? You have zero proof, be "man enough" in your eyes and own up to your mistake.
    I’m not sure which offended men you’re referring to as delicate offended men - transgender men or transphobic men? Either way it’s still not comparable to the discrimination faced by the traveller community in Irish society, and to claim that you face anything like the same discrimination they face is just laughable.

The transphobic men who get upset at the appearance of another human dressed differently when walking down the street that they resort to verbal abuse and violence. As you know, many trans people have been murdered around the world for the crime of existing.
    Traveller people do not experience transphobe violence and you bringing up traveller experiences is disgraceful as it's not a competition on who suffers more.

No she does not represent the transgender community, show us your proof that she does? You have zero proof, be "man enough" in your eyes and own up to your mistake.

What mistake? She is transgender, and therefore she is a member of the transgender community. You spoke in another thread about denying people who are transgender their existence, and yet here you are acting as the gatekeeper to deny someone who is transgender their existence. The very thing you’re rallying against, you employ when it suits your purposes.

The transphobic men who get upset at the appearance of another human dressed differently when walking down the street that they resort to verbal abuse and violence. As you know, many trans people have been murdered around the world for the crime of existing.

Yeah, there’s quite a leap there between people (not just men btw as you have been made well aware of) who are put out by the appearance of another human dressed differently when walking down the street, and people who verbally abuse them, and people who murder them. In Irish society, people who are transgender are as safe as anyone else.

Traveller people do not experience transphobe violence and you bringing up traveller experiences is disgraceful as it's not a competition on who suffers more.

No, they experience discrimination, which is what your point was - that people who are transgender experience discrimination. Yes, they do, everyone does, and so in order to qualify what you’re talking about I used the example of a group in Irish society of whom the vast majority experience greater discrimination than any other group in Irish society. It certainly is a competition as to who suffers more, because you made it that way. You want to say people who are transgender experience discrimination, but you don’t want to acknowledge that there are other groups in Irish society which experience greater discrimination, because in the hierarchy of social groups, people who are transgender are generally well to do middle class heterosexual white men. That doesn’t play well with your victim narrative.

What mistake? She is transgender, and therefore she is a member of the transgender community. You spoke in another thread about denying people who are transgender their existence, and yet here you are acting as the gatekeeper to deny someone who is transgender their existence. The very thing you’re rallying against, you employ when it suits your purposes.

Still waiting on your proof that Caityn Jenner is a representative of the trans community. Go on, show us.(deflection does not count)
    Yeah, there’s quite a leap there between people (not just men btw as you have been made well aware of) who are put out by the appearance of another human dressed differently when walking down the street, and people who verbally abuse them, and people who murder them. In Irish society, people who are transgender are as safe as anyone else.

Ha, you a comedian in real life? People who are transgender have been attacked in real life in Irish society, thankfully not murdered yet. Who does the attacking? Upset men.
    No, they experience discrimination, which is what your point was - that people who are transgender experience discrimination. Yes, they do, everyone does, and so in order to qualify what you’re talking about I used the example of a group in Irish society of whom the vast majority experience greater discrimination than any other group in Irish society. It certainly is a competition as to who suffers more, because you made it that way. You want to say people who are transgender experience discrimination, but you don’t want to acknowledge that there are other groups in Irish society which experience greater discrimination, because in the hierarchy of social groups, people who are transgender are generally well to do middle class heterosexual white men. That doesn’t play well with your victim narrative.

That is a seriously warped up fecked up view, a suggestion is to get our of your parents basement and get to know people. Transgender people come from all classes with nearly equal numbers of trans men and trans women. Leave your American white men sh1te out of here, this is Ireland our American pal.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I generally don't.

Not that I don't wish all the best, but i want my life to be simple. I just live my life.

As a normal person. No flags.

I just want to be.

It's hard to be an introvert.
    It's also hard to be gay.

Being a person is tough sometimes.
    But it's worth it.

That is a seriously warped up fecked up view, a suggestion is to get our of your parents basement and get to know people. Transgender people come from all classes with nearly equal numbers of trans men and trans women. Leave your American white men sh1te out of here, this is Ireland our American pal.

If that is true, then this is also true -

Still waiting on your proof that Caityn Jenner is a representative of the trans community. Go on, show us.(deflection does not count)

You have provided the proof yourself with your acknowledgment that people who are transgender come from all classes. Caitlyn Jenner just isn’t from the class that you imagine you identify with, but that doesn’t mean she isn’t representative of people who are transgender given that by your own admission they come from all classes.

Ha, you a comedian in real life? People who are transgender have been attacked in real life in Irish society, thankfully not murdered yet. Who does the attacking? Upset men.

Well you’ve contributed fcukall to the discussion only to go on the attack against people you imagine you can humiliate into submission. I’m well used to it by now so I’m not in the least bit upset by your efforts to attack me online at least. I’m just grateful we haven’t ever met because I find you to be a thoroughly unpleasant individual who appears to enjoy trolling people while claiming to be oppressed at the same time, even as a member of a majority group in Irish society. You don’t like it when your membership of a majority is pointed out to you though.

If that is true, then this is also true -

You have provided the proof yourself with your acknowledgment that people who are transgender come from all classes. Caitlyn Jenner just isn’t from the class that you imagine you identify with, but that doesn’t mean she isn’t representative of people who are transgender given that by your own admission they come from all classes.

How does a super rich person residing on a far away continent represent a marginal community? You have to explain that one.
    Well you’ve contributed fcukall to the discussion only to go on the attack against people you imagine you can humiliate into submission. I’m well used to it by now so I’m not in the least bit upset by your efforts to attack me online at least. I’m just grateful we haven’t ever met because I find you to be a thoroughly unpleasant individual who appears to enjoy trolling people while claiming to be oppressed at the same time, even as a member of a majority group in Irish society. You don’t like it when your membership of a majority is pointed out to you though.

Wha and wha is this insane claptrap? As the topic is about Pride, i'm actually looking forward to meeting you with your protesting poster "thou shall judge"!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

The pride parade in Dublin just seems to all scummers on the piss/drugs

How does a super rich person residing on a far away continent represent a marginal community? You have to explain that one.

I have explained it to you numerous times already, and you even acknowledged yourself that being transgender is not a matter of one’s social class. The fact that she is either super rich, or super broke, is irrelevant as to whether or not she is transgender. She is transgender, and therefore she is representative of people who are transgender. Being transgender is just one aspect of a person, it’s not the be-all and end-all of who they are as a person, and so you’re in no position to lecture anyone on discrimination when you yourself discriminate against who you imagine is representative of people who are transgender and attempt to exclude them from a narrative that you’re trying to portray.

It just doesn’t map to people’s reality and that’s why they reject your ideology, which is why in order to stay relevant, Pride has had to incorporate corporate sponsorship into their political aspirations if they are to have any hope of survival as what they claim are a marginalised group in society. They’re just not marginalised any more, so they have had to try and incorporate other people such as you mentioned already- people with disabilities and people of colour (they’re not black or Asian people as though they have their own ethnic identity any more, good ol’ white allies have decided they’re now lumped under the heading of “people of colour”).

Wha and wha is this insane claptrap? As the topic is about Pride, i'm actually looking forward to meeting you with your protesting poster "thou shall judge"!

The claptrap about me having any posters or even attending any events was your own invention, I wouldn’t take part in what it’s now become - a cringefest. I don’t know what your problem is with Caitlyn Jenner being from the US seeing as Pride also originated in the US? Do you discriminate against all foreigners, or just those who don’t share your opinions?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

bigpink wrote: »
    The pride parade in Dublin just seems to all scummers on the piss/drugs

And morons with whistles.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

i've been to couple of pride parades to cheer on a friend who was participating but in general, no, i dont care how people cum and i dont define people in that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Stephen15 wrote: »
    just like straight people don't push their straightness down gays throats.
    AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

That's good. You're funny.

I mean it's not like virtually every advertisement contains some level of sexual innuendo aimed at straight people, or entire TV programmes are dedicated to pandering to heterosexuality.

Oh wait, it is. If Love Island consisted entirely of buff gay men flirting and riding, there'd be no end of people condemning the "gay agenda".

The "straight agenda" is completely and utterly all pervasive. It is everywhere, all the time. That's not a bad thing, it's to be expected completely. But to claim that straight people don't shove their sexuality down everyone else's throat shows a massive lack of awareness. It is so normal for straight sexuality to be shoved right in your face and your children's faces, that you don't even see it anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

It's genuinely positive that the gay community can march through our streets and be celebrated. However, I just wish the movement would reclaim it from corporate sponsors. It used to be a very political event, when I went a couple of years back it was a relentless procession of Salesforce/Google/Aer Lingus floats. It's about as edgy as a soup spoon now.

Your previously maligned sexuality, brought to you by Aviva. We'll still hike your premiums year on year mind you, but we're on your side in every other way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I think a month is too long but it is also too short. I would much prefer to see a more genuine integration of lgbt ( add letter as appropriate )etc into all parts of our society. There are still barriers everywhere. Love and life and all that it involves should be about fun and enjoyment.

This corporate bull**** is disingenuous. Companies don't exist to celebrate your identity, they exist to profit from your existance. Don't forget that.

Don't let it become an ordeal. Make sure it's a celebration and enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,843 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Hmm...on one hand, you've got bandwagoners.

On the other hand, salty religious conservatives, and ultranationalist types who post three hour YouTube sermons whinging about "degeneracy".

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Jackman25

Zaph wrote: »
    A Pride network for LGBTQ staff is being launched where I work this month. I'm not gay, but I'll go to the launch because I feel it's important that my colleagues who are know that they have the support of the non-LGBTQ majority in the company. I hope there's plenty of others who feel the same, although I know there are bound to be some who are not particularly comfortable with "the gays".

Would that not be the assumed default position in this day and age?
    I would expect that my gay colleagues would assume that they have the exact same support (indifference in reality) to their sexuality as my non-gay colleagues.

i dig the party might wander down to stoneybatter for a looksee, the outfits do be fab

hate anyone blocking traffic for any reason

id put them somewhere between "medical emergency" and "water protests" in terms of reason, so yknow its a continuum and theres worse gangs

• Registered Users Posts: 40,153 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Jackman25 wrote: »
    Would that not be the assumed default position in this day and age?
    I would expect that my gay colleagues would assume that they have the exact same support (indifference in reality) to their sexuality as my non-gay colleagues.

Given some of the outright hostility on this thread i'm not sure i would assume that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Why do LGBTQ people revolve their whole lives around their sexuality ?
    Obsessed with it! We are all equal now, just get on with it like the rest of us do!

I have seen guys with their genitals barely covered in these parades, and people think it's progressive to bring kids to them!!

It's too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,153 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Why do LGBTQ people revolve their whole lives around their sexuality ?
    Obsessed with it! We are all equal now, just get on with it like the rest of us do!

I have seen guys with their genitals barely covered in these parades, and people think it's progressive to bring kids to them!!

It's too much.

barely covered? so they were covered. Dont bring your kids to the beach either, there might be blokes there wearing budgie smugglers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

barely covered? so they were covered. Dont bring your kids to the beach either, there might be blokes there wearing budgie smugglers.

Beach isn't a sexualised environment, don;t worry I wouldn't bring my kids to a LGB parade march, just like I wouldn't bring them to a strip club either.

Advertisement