Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you taking part in any LGBTQ events for pride month?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Why? Is it because there's more gay people to massage your ego for defending them?

Do you think a ginger lad attacked for being ginger doesn't feel fear but a gay person attacked for being gay does?

The people bullying the ginger didn't have the state, the education system, their family, the church and the ginger persons family on their side though.

cgcsb wrote:
    And neither I or anyone I know of think that people like you who have an issue with pride are in any way representative of general society. Pride is well attended by straight people and indeed lots of children. The crowds of onlookers last year must have numbered in the hundreds of thousands, all very positive, all smiling and waving. Its really only a tiny % of dour phobes who get their tits in a twist over the vague possibility of a child seeing an arse cheek.

Getting your "tits in a twist"over the vague chance of a child seeing an arse cheek at a homosexual pride festival?

Yeah.

I would actually.

Kind of why I don't bring the kids to open day in Lapellos.

Even the slightest chance of my daughter seeing a stranger's arse cheek at a parade celebrating their sexuality is not something I will subject her to.

What planet do you live on? Why would I want my child smiling and waving at that?

cgcsb wrote:
    The people bullying the ginger didn't have the state, the education system, their family, the church and the ginger persons family on their side though.

No. We fought to stop that oppression. Gay people are equal (and rightly so). So you could argue, nobody has fought for the gingers

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Mr.Frame

Yeah. I do reach my daughter that. But funnily enough, if I sent my daughter to school and told her to tell her that she was "proud" that she had a mam and a dad and they were straight, I'd have social services at my door.

Meaningless comment
    I teach my daughter that there are unusual families. None is better than the other.

Gay families are not "unusual" by the way. Nor is anyone saying that LGBT families are better than any other type of family. Not sure where you are getting that from.
    Hard to teach her that everyone is equal when certain members of a community want to emphasize how different and diverse they are.

As I said, for a long time gay people wanted to be accepted. They were. Now some of them want to be celebrated. No. That's where I draw the line.

Youre mask is slipping even further it seems and no, you are definitely not homophobic, in any way shape or form.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

cgcsb wrote: »

Exactly this.
    I think it must be hard for people to imagine how it could be, at the age of 11, 12, etc. to be confronted with a reality that goes against the grain of all of society. It's bloody harsh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Mr.Frame

Getting your "tits in a twist"over the vague chance of a child seeing an arse cheek at a homosexual pride festival?

Yeah.

I would actually.

Even the slightest chance of my daughter seeing a stranger's arse cheek at a parade celebrating their sexuality is not something I will subject her to.

What planet do you live on? Why would I want my child smiling and waving at that?

Plenty of ass cheeks (all female) on display at this years St PAtricks day parade, you must have missed that.

Yeah.

I would actually.

You've already explained that your daughter winces at kissing, obviously you've opted for the Victorian method of child rearing, fair dues, most people acknowledge that humans have arse cheeks though and that the human body isn't something to be afraid of.

No. We fought to stop that oppression. Gay people are equal (and rightly so). So you could argue, nobody has fought for the gingers

So you are just going to ignore the fact that someone bullying a ginger never had state and societal support in doing so.

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Exactly this.
    I think it must be hard for people to imagine how it could be, at the age of 11, 12, etc. to be confronted with a reality that goes against the grain of all of society. It's bloody harsh.

These people don't want to get it. They just want to make meaningless throw away comparisons and screech about the children and alcohol.

Mr.Frame wrote:
    Gay families are not "unusual" by the way. Nor is anyone saying that LGBT families are better than any other type of family. Not sure where you are getting that from.

Yes they are. It is quite unusual to have two mammies or two daddies. It's much more common to either come from a mam and dad parent situation or a single parent situation than it is to be a child of a gay couple.

So yes. It is unusual.
    Mr.Frame wrote:
    Youre mask is slipping even further it seems and no, you are definitely not homophobic, in any way shape or form.

No I'm not. I hate victim complexes. I think certain people on this thread are doing a disservice to the many people who embrace their sexuality without needing to chastise those who don't wholesale agree with their mindset.

You go do what you want to chief. Just don't accuse me of my mask slipping because I don't want my daughter to be part of a celebration of where you choose to put your penis/vagina

• Advertisement

To be fair, I wouldn't like a family day like pride to be including fetish wear and arse cheeks.
    Nor have I seen it though.
    Keep that to the club lads, common sense.

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    To be fair, I wouldn't like a family day like pride to be including fetish wear and arse cheeks.
    Nor have I seen it though.
    Keep that to the club lads, common sense.

The sightings of nudity at pride tend to be confined to people who've never been funnily enough

cgcsb wrote:
    You've already explained that your daughter winces at kissing, obviously you've opted for the Victorian method of child rearing, fair dues, most people acknowledge that humans have arse cheeks though and that the human body isn't something to be afraid of.

Yeah she winces at kissing when it happens on the telly and she is watching with her mam and me. Same as if I give her mam a kiss. She says "ewwww". I've never told her it's bad or wrong. She just isn't interested and frankly at the stage of "boys are icky, I want to play with my Barbie".

How Victorian is that? I suppose I should be more modern and sit her down and explain the complexities of pansexuality and otherkins?

Do you like watching erotic scenes with your parents? I know kissing is hardly erotic for adults, but to a seven year old it is a bit.

She's aware that people have arse cheeks. I just don't see a need to show her those of a stranger's. She is not afraid of them. Just not in any need to see them.

cgcsb wrote: »
    The sightings of nudity at pride tend to be confined to people who've never been funnily enough

Yeah, pictures from the internet can be used as grenades in the battle. I know where it comes from.

Mr.Frame wrote:
    Plenty of ass cheeks (all female) on display at this years St PAtricks day parade, you must have missed that.

You must have missed the part when I said "a parade about their sexuality".

She goes to gym. She sees girls wearing gym slips. I bring her swimming. She sees boys in trunks.

Different scenarios. Context matters.

It's not a parade about sexuality though, it's a celebration of recently won rights.
    My sexuality is my own business, it's the others who have used it against me.
    But those days are gone.

igCorcaigh wrote:
    It's not a parade about sexuality though, it's a celebration of recently won rights. My sexuality is my own business, it's the others who have used it against me. But those days are gone.

Absolutely. I have been taken off my point and I apologise. As I have stated, I have no issue with the parade. I just wouldn't bring my daughter. That was my whole point.

I understand why people would want to celebrate and I stand with them with that. There are certain elements in the "community" that seem to attack anyone who isn't wholesale "on brand" and they are the ones I take issue with.

To clarify and to put any doubts to rest;

I personally don't think pride is family friendly

I don't think anyone should be proud of how they were born

I can see how people would like to commemorate and celebrate people who have fought for their freedom

I think that people are equal regardless of their sexual orientation/skin colour etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

You must have missed the part when I said "a parade about their sexuality".

She goes to gym. She sees girls wearing gym slips. I bring her swimming. She sees boys in trunks.

Different scenarios. Context matters.

You sound incredibly uptight.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,027 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Each to their own. But a month is a bit excessive.

Imagine the likes of Darkness into Light or Daffodil Day had a month's long exposure? Far more worthy no?

And the often over-sexualised nature of some of the participants is the reason why there is still bigotry. If they were understated and celebrating how much the movement has evolved rather than emphasising their sexuality in an exaggerated manner, the homophobes would have less grounds for disgust. And we all know the lad around town who loves the fact he is a womanizer and shoves his heterosexuality down your throat-rightly called out for been an ass too. Sometimes modesty is the most effective.

At the end of the day, the LGBTQ community have more equality than ever before. We fricking voted for same-sex marriage well ahead of most of the world. Having an annual parade shouldn't be as big a deal any more. But then again I am not a gay man so couldn't possibly have an opinion on the matter.

Woke Hogan wrote:

Please explain. How is not wanting my daughter to be exposed to sexual politics uptight?

• Advertisement

Please explain. How is not wanting my daughter to be exposed to sexual politics uptight?

Don’t waste your time. Total wind up merchant there.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Hedgelayer

Woke Hogan wrote: »

I don't think he does.
    I'm a very alpha masculine gay man and for the life of me, I cannot find much attractive about pride parades.

All that prancing around and guy's in chaps, bondage gear etc looks very inappropriate and it's not what I'd want my nephew and nieces seeing, guy's gyrating and simulating sex.
    Almost like a Frankie goes to Hollywood live video in your face.
    There's a time and place for that.
    Then the rubbish German techno music is another turn off.

Why undermine your sexuality by bringing it to the gutter.
    If one's happy with their lot they don't need an audience.

If it was a private adult only celebration I wouldn't see anything wrong with it, but in public in my opinion it's inappropriate.

Absolutely. I have been taken off my point and I apologise. As I have stated, I have no issue with the parade. I just wouldn't bring my daughter. That was my whole point.

I understand why people would want to celebrate and I stand with them with that. There are certain elements in the "community" that seem to attack anyone who isn't wholesale "on brand" and they are the ones I take issue with.

To clarify and to put any doubts to rest;

I personally don't think pride is family friendly

I don't think anyone should be proud of how they were born

I can see how people would like to commemorate and celebrate people who have fought for their freedom

I think that people are equal regardless of their sexual orientation/skin colour etc

The original point of pride was to counteract the shame that was in built

I hope things have moved on.

igCorcaigh wrote:
    The original point of pride was to counteract the shame that was in built .

Yes I know. And through years of struggle, homosexuality is now normalised, just as what was wanted.

Cowboy hats and hot pants clad men seem to be doing the opposite of normalising the cause.

Each to their own though. Just find it ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭TheDiceMan2020

When I saw the absolute ****ing state of those garda cars I thought it was a joke.

Can't believe they are doing that. They should be staying out of things like that.

What next? Gardai wearing hijabs for a month to celebrate Islam?

I was also reminded of this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

Or is it something that you've to do in your work place?

You really do have to wonder where the priorities of the guards are. They have time to celebrate a changing society when they have so much change needed within their own ranks?

You really do have to wonder where the priorities of the guards are. They have time to celebrate a changing society when they have so much change needed within their own ranks?

They have to be aware of the agro that people get. They used to regularly pay us a visit in the nightclub. Keeping an eye on crime. Never when the stones came through the windows though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Pride is to sexuality as st Patrick’s day is to zoology.. cos he banished snakes

Sexuality has really noting to do with pride whatsoever. If you have a problem with people celebrating the ability to be who they are and our new hard won equality the problem lies with you yourself.

Ps nobody wears bondage gear or assless chaps to pride.

It simply doesn’t happen. Can we drop that nonsense please?

You’d know that if you actually went and took part. Instilling prejudice into your children isn’t great parenting either by the way. You’ll find your kids growing and rejecting that and rebelling against you doing it soon enough.

You’d know that if you actually went and took part. Instilling prejudice into your children isn’t great parenting either by the way. You’ll find your kids growing and rejecting that and rebelling against you doing it soon enough.

Who mentioned instilling prejudice into children?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

As I said, for a long time gay people wanted to be accepted. They were. Now some of them want to be celebrated. No. That's where I draw the line.

This is my line too.

I don't care if you're gay, I honestly don't. Stick what you want where you want- but I'm fúcked if I'm going to cheer you on for it. Why should I, I just don't think it's all that impressive!

I don't feel like I deserve a parade just for liking fanny, I just quietly get on with the business of liking fanny. I'm not in any way proud of that fact, I had nothing to do with it, it's not like I had to work on it!

Advertisement