Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you taking part in any LGBTQ events for pride month?

Options

Comments

retract it? not a hope.

Righteo so. Well just for clarification, I completely reject your baseless accusation of bigotry and hatred against the LGBT community.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

cgcsb wrote: »
    wha' abou' de homeless!!! :pac:

Don't you mean the homoless?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Like I said, I grew up around some very homophobic people so I'd rather my kids saw the other side of the picture tbh.

Well that's probably where we differ so, I didn't grow up around such people.
    The colours, the music etc, also adults who aren't homophobic don't have an issue with their children seeing people who are gay.

I have no issue with my kids seeing people who are gay, I have gay friends, I have gay family - there's nothing to see here folks, they're just regular people like you and me.

But why don't we go to town and party the day away in celebration of how fantastic they are. Eh, cos they're just regular people....like you and me!

I'm all for equality. But equality means equality not a month long celebration of your very existence like it's somehow important.

I see no reason to celebrate my own sexuality, I certainly see no reason to celebrate anyone elses! And the whole oppression hand is very much overplayed at this stage - homosexuality may well have been illegal until recently but I'd be fairly safe in betting you don't know anyone who was actually charged with it!
    The same sex marriage referendum was overwhelmingly passed by the Irish electorate (including myself) - build a bridge ffs no one is oppressing you!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,153 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Righteo so. Well just for clarification, I completely reject your baseless accusation of bigotry and hatred against the LGBT community.

luckily for me i didn't make one.

Well that's probably where we differ so, I didn't grow up around such people.

I have no issue with my kids seeing people who are gay, I have gay friends, I have gay family - there's nothing to see here folks, they're just regular people like you and me.

But why don't we go to town and party the day away in celebration of how fantastic they are. Eh, cos they're just regular people....like you and me!

I'm all for equality. But equality means equality not a month long celebration of your very existence like it's somehow important.

I see no reason to celebrate my own sexuality, I certainly see no reason to celebrate anyone elses! And the whole oppression hand is very much overplayed at this stage - homosexuality may well have been illegal until recently but I'd be fairly safe in betting you don't know anyone who was actually charged with it!
    The same sex marriage referendum was overwhelmingly passed by the Irish electorate (including myself) - build a bridge ffs no one is oppressing you!

so you are saying that homophobia no longer exists in irish society? I'm pretty sure it still does and see no reason to stop pride events. there is no obligation on you to attend or take part in any way. feel free to ignore it.

• Advertisement

jmayo wrote: »
    I would much rather if the guards actually spent money on patrolling our streets rather than tarting up some cars so that their press office can just shout look at us and how progressive we are.

First - I would be wondering what the cost of the "tarting" actually was before I would be making such protests. If we are talking 5 euro here I am not sure that carries your point. If it was 500 euro I would still be sceptical as this is a drop in the ocean of the costs of policing over all.

Second - the police will be doing work during the events I am sure. There are always elements in large events of this sort who like to target the police. Any cheap stickering of their cards that make the police look a part of the event and so less of a target - is going to help their work.

Third - making our police look supportive of minority and alternative communities is also over all a good thing. Especially if historically crimes against those groups were for any reason under reported. Stickering the cars in this way for such an event is a useful and cheap way to make the police look inclusive and approachable and understanding of such communities and hence make them seem a more viable option to those who have suffered crimes.

Fourth - there is going to be homosexuals _within_ the force too. Just like there is in armies. Making external signals of inclusion during an event like pride is also sending a community message _within_ the force too. Which alone is worth a small bit of money and effort invested.

I like when police forces humanise themselves in ways that stop them seeming like some group of "other". Especially when they do so in ways that go viral as videos. There have been some great dance and flash mob and Hakka videos from the police around the world.

everybody has the right to decide if your opinion is valid and your opinion on anything lgbt is invalid because it comes from a place of bigotry and hatred

luckily for me i didn't make one.

O....k.

O....k.

feel free to report my posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭gibgodsman

An Entire Month? Why? What celebration needs an entire month? Cool, your part of the LGBTQ community, here is your sticker, now you do you and ill do me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I work in an area that voted overwhelmingly against gay marriage and I was chatting to someone recently in the area who was talking about the awful burden one poor mother had from one of her sons having Down Syndrome and the other one being gay. And of course they were sick of hearing about the gays the whole time during the referendum and the real reason they voted against the marriage referendum wasn't because the didn't like the gays, not at all, it's just they'd end up getting all the adopted kids and sure could you trust them with kids with their lifestyles. All this sort of stuff didn't magically disappear when gay marriage came in.

That said, stretching Pride out for the whole month is probably just going to make these sort of people a whole lot more reactionary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,087 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

IMHO there are a fair few round here that just need to get laid.
    With whoever.

And any month you damn well please.

It might actually make them a bit nicer to others and not come across as insufferable ar**holes.

gibgodsman wrote: »
    What celebration needs an entire month?

Reading the thread I think people have the parade in their mind - and they are imagining a whole month of that!

But actually having a month long festival - or even much longer - spread over multiple dates across multiple venues - sometimes multiple counties of Ireland - is not at all uncommon. It happens all the time.

There are food festivals - comedy festivals - cultural festivals - and much more that last days, weeks and even much longer happening quite often.

Take as a random example the festivals related to when a country in Ireland gets nominated for the "cultural capital of europe" award. Events related to that go on for quite some time.

So really I would be less worried about them doing this for a month and more interested in knowing _what_ They are doing for the month - where - when - and how. If it is a rugby tournament over there - an exhibition in an art house over there - some party thing in a pub or club over there - a single parade here - I warrant over all you will remain unaware of 95% of it unless you were actively checking the time tables or entertainment.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Since when is it a month? That's madness.

Even a weekend is stretching it

First - I would be wondering what the cost of the "tarting" actually was before I would be making such protests. If we are talking 5 euro here I am not sure that carries your point. If it was 500 euro I would still be sceptical as this is a drop in the ocean of the costs of policing over all.

Second - the Gardaí will be doing work during the events I am sure. There are always elements in large events of this sort who like to target the Gardaí. Any cheap stickering of their cards that make the police look a part of the event and so less of a target - is going to help their work.

Third - making the Gardaí look supportive of minority and alternative communities is also over all a good thing. Especially if historically crimes against those groups were for any reason under reported. Stickering the cars in this way for such an event is a useful and cheap way to make the Gardaí look inclusive and approachable and understanding of such communities and hence make them seem a more viable option to those who have suffered crimes.

Fourth - there is going to be homosexuals _within_ the Gardaí too. Just like there is in armies. Making external signals of inclusion during an event like pride is also sending a community message _within_ the Gardaí too. Which alone is worth a small bit of money and effort invested.

I like when police forces humanise themselves in ways that stop them seeming like some group of "other". Especially when they do so in ways that go viral as videos. There have been some great dance and flash mob and Hakka videos from the police around the world.

Gardaí. And they have a job to do. They're not there to entertain you with social media viral crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I think what you're not getting is, we don't have to be legally oppressed to celebrate pride. The celebration isn't a celebration of our sexuality per say, but rather our freedom to express such and of course it's also an outward celebration of gay culture.

As for the whole Pride Month thing, it's really only a week of events in Dublin. The parade falls on different dates all over the world and most of the non-Dublin pride events are not in June. Not that the gays have to consult you with their programe of events. There are pride parades/celebrations in:

Belfast, Larne, Derry, Newry, Dundalk, Sligo, Castlebar, Drogheda, Galway, Limerick, Lisdoonvarna, Thurles, Waterford and Cork. None of them are in June afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Mod

The Dunne and ohnonotgmail. Gather yourselves. Any more bickering and off topic posting and its thread bans and/or cards.

so you are saying that homophobia no longer exists in irish society? I'm pretty sure it still does and see no reason to stop pride events. there is no obligation on you to attend or take part in any way. feel free to ignore it.

I'm sure it does to some extent and I'm sure it always will to some extent.

Pro Life Tip: A certain percentage of the human population are arseholes, this is an immutable fact of life.

As a group homosexuals are not oppressed in this country. Look at the marriage equality result, look at the Taoiseach, The minister for Children - Ireland is just not a homophobic place as a whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,087 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Knowing the guards this is way more than a €5.
    And don't worry I think there is lots of other wastage of money that should be better spent.

I want more foot patrols, more car patrols that actually help people on the ground.
    Be they old people living alone, be they young kids set upon by gangs, be they some poor ones like the two women on the public transport in London just attacked for being gay.
    Second - the police will be doing work during the events I am sure. There are always elements in large events of this sort who like to target the police. Any cheap stickering of their cards that make the police look a part of the event and so less of a target - is going to help their work.

Third - making our police look supportive of minority and alternative communities is also over all a good thing. Especially if historically crimes against those groups were for any reason under reported. Stickering the cars in this way for such an event is a useful and cheap way to make the police look inclusive and approachable and understanding of such communities and hence make them seem a more viable option to those who have suffered crimes.

Fourth - there is going to be homosexuals _within_ the force too. Just like there is in armies. Making external signals of inclusion during an event like pride is also sending a community message _within_ the force too. Which alone is worth a small bit of money and effort invested.

It is all just optics.
    Call me old school, I like substance over image.

JayZeus wrote: »
    Gardaí. And they have a job to do. They're not there to entertain you with social media viral crap.

I select my wording carefully. If you want to make posts using different words that's grand. Leave me to mine. I was not limiting my words to just Ireland - hence my very intentional use of a more international nomenclature. So nothing at all wrong with the word I used.

As for them having a job to do - if you had bothered reading my post rather than getting triggered by a single word in the post - you would have noticed that most of my points was about their job and how things like this can actively help them do it.

Nor - finally - did I say they were there to entertain me. What I actually said was I like that some of the things they do in the media humanise them. Because this - as I said - likely benefits them in many ways in their work. Nothing whatsoever to do with their entertaining me. Everything to do with them being part of our culture and our society and not something that should be held seperate to it.

TLDR - way to miss the point(s) dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭cgcsb

JayZeus wrote: »

They have a marching band in the paddys day parade. Should that be stopped?

• Advertisement

All marching bands should be stopped!:D

Knowing the guards this is way more than a €5.

I think I would be more interested in the actual figures and not what you think you know :) Especially - as I said - since we should be asking if any benefits accrue from said expenditure before merely bemoaning the expenditure by reflex. I listed some possible ones.
    I want more foot patrols, more car patrols that actually help people on the ground.

As do we all - but we need those things for many reasons. And there are other ways to deal with those reasons too rather than just more patrols. I would be more for a hollistic approach to policing rather than merely throw more patrols at every problem.

Quite often community involvement greatly assists in police work. Making the police seem more part of any given community will foster that - which is worth quite a lot of financial investment. Let alone tiny investments for a temporary stickering of a car.
    It is all just optics. Call me old school, I like substance over image.

And until they can be shown to be in any way mutually exclusive - I prefer to go for both.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

Why do LGBTQ people revolve their whole lives around their sexuality ?
    Obsessed with it! We are all equal now, just get on with it like the rest of us do!

I have seen guys with their genitals barely covered in these parades, and people think it's progressive to bring kids to them!!

It's too much.

Happened to get caught up in one of these gay parades in Dublin about 3 years ago and some of the attires on the lads who were visible on the floats were absolutely vile altogether. If that is what the 'gay movement' is all about then I can easily understand why some people want nothing to do with it. Attention seeking scutter is all it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,197 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Well first of all, gay people across the world don't actually have identical opinions.

Of course not, I wasn't suggesting that they did.
    Not wanting people to be attacked or discriminated against because they are muslims is a very different prospect than supporting extremist Islam
    I'm not suggesting that they support extremists either. My confusion is that (on this case) Christianity and Islam are almost identical.

*Both religions state homosexuality to be wrong/sinful.

*Small minority of both groups write off that belief as outdated and identify as gay Muslims/Christians. Or if not gay themselves, they still believe that there is no conflict between homosexuality and faith.

*Majority of both still see it as sinful but are happy for LGBT rights, no discrimination etc.

*Small minority of both groups are full blown "death to gays" attitude. Like that American preacher who was banned recently.

The confusion for me is that while Islam certainly has a much bigger global percentage who sit in the 3rd group (illegal in many middle Eastern countries), we often see LGBT groups supporting Islam and praising it. Yes there are some Christian countries in Africa where homosexuality is banned too but I do believe more Islamic countries openly prosecute gays than Christian ones.

Is it just a backlash against right wing groups who would condemn both Islam and homosexuality? The enemy of my enemy is my friend kind of thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

seamus wrote: »
    AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

That's good. You're funny.

I mean it's not like virtually every advertisement contains some level of sexual innuendo aimed at straight people, or entire TV programmes are dedicated to pandering to heterosexuality.

Oh wait, it is. If Love Island consisted entirely of buff gay men flirting and riding, there'd be no end of people condemning the "gay agenda".

The "straight agenda" is completely and utterly all pervasive. It is everywhere, all the time. That's not a bad thing, it's to be expected completely. But to claim that straight people don't shove their sexuality down everyone else's throat shows a massive lack of awareness. It is so normal for straight sexuality to be shoved right in your face and your children's faces, that you don't even see it anymore.

Seamus, for your post to be true, "straight innuendo advertisement" would have to be targeted at LGBT community, it's no. It doesn't exist/

Just because the couple in the ad happen to be heterosexual, it doesn't mean it's being shoved in the faces of homosexuals. It's innuendo, not gay/straight innuendo (whatever the fcuk that is supposed to be).

There's no "straight agenda", there's homophobic arseholes out there alright, but that does not represent the entire straight population. Just a pimple on your arse. There is still an agenda for the gay community, unfortunately so the parade still has meaning.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Of course not, I wasn't suggesting that they did.

I'm not suggesting that they support extremists either. My confusion is that (on this case) Christianity and Islam are almost identical.

Both religions state homosexuality to be wrong/sinful.

Small minority of both groups write off that belief as outdated and identify as gay Muslims/Christians

Majority of both still see it as sinful but are happy for LGBT rights, no discrimination etc.

Small minority of both groups are full blown "death to gays" attitude. Like that American preacher who was banned recently.

The confusion for me is that while Islam certainly has a much bigger global percentage who sit in the 3rd group (illegal in many middle Eastern countries), we often see LGBT groups supporting Islam and praising it. Yes there are some Christian countries in Africa where homosexuality is banned too but I do believe more Islamic countries openly prosecute gays than Christian ones.

Is it just a backlash against right wing groups who would condemn both Islam and homosexuality? The enemy of my enemy is my friend kind of thing?

Mod

This isnt the thread for this discussion re: religion and LGBTQ. Bring it up again and its bans/cards.

Respond to the above and its bans/cards.

Waffle

Mod

Anyone conflating pride and child abuse is going to be sanctioned straight off the bat.

Dont post in this thread again. Thanks.

I would much rather if the guards actually spent money on patrolling our streets rather than tarting up some cars so that their press office can just shout look at us and how progressive we are.

Hell some of those patrols might actually help some gay person who is being subjected to abuse because of their sexuality.
    The Gardai can chew gum and walk straight. It's such nonsense to imply that policing will suffer because the Gardai have put some stickers on a couple of squad cars.

It is in fact such nonsense, that you'd honestly have to question the motivation for your being upset by it.

A police force only polices its community with the consent of that community. It is important for Gardai, and for the public at large, for the public to be assured that Gardai are part of the community, just like gay people are. It is important, also, that we all share common, communal objectives and that everybody feels as if they matter. Which of course, they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭victor8600

...As a group homosexuals are not oppressed in this country. Look at the marriage equality result, look at the Taoiseach, The minister for Children - Ireland is just not a homophobic place as a whole.

True, but some people are in the closet with respect to their sexual orientation. It is is fine if they want to hide it, but the fact is that suppressing your feelings is generally not healthy, for the individual and for the society.

So for people who are afraid to come out, an event like a Pride parade is important and it illustrates in a very graphic fashion that they are not alone and that other people came out and are no worse for it.

• Advertisement

Happened to get caught up in one of these gay parades in Dublin about 3 years ago and some of the attires on the lads who were visible on the floats were absolutely vile altogether. If that is what the 'gay movement' is all about then I can easily understand why some people want nothing to do with it. Attention seeking scutter is all it is.

Mod

Dont post in this thread again.

Discussion of the above will get cards/bans.

@everyone

Ye need to pay attention to the OP and be civil in responding to it.

Advertisement