Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The best pint of Guinness in Dublin/Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Mahou

The Sheds, Clontarf
    O'Donohoes, Merrion Row
    McGraths, Drumcondra

Very hard to leave the pub when the pints are so good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 freedgull

Best pint I've had in years was at John McHales (Johnny's) in Castlebar.

They also serve a Medium there which is 3/4's of a pint of Guinness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

University of Limerick. Been 5 years since I was there, but the turnover on Guinness was ridiculous. I think at that time it was the 2nd busiest pub in Ireland after the UCD one. Full at 11am on a Monday onwards. Had many the tasty pint there.

Live in Ennis now and there really isn't a single pub that's decent. Maybe Bar 16 at a stretch. I like the porter in The Porter Stall in temple bar. Usually go there for a few pints fo 4X when I'm in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i drink guinness every day and i wouldnt go anywhere else other than my local, the breffni in blackrock in dublin, fantastic pint, old mans pub but its worth it for the pint.
    also my late grandfather and i used to go to gaffneys in fairview, the pint there is amazing.
    my favourite pubs for guinness are:
    breffni (blackrock)
    gaffneys (fairview)
    cross bar (harolds cross) used to be called Quinns
    bachelor inn (bachelor walk)
    neds (townsend street)
    kyles (coolock)
    pier house (howth)
    hollands (bray
    ramblers rest (ballybrack)
    and a little tiny pub in bandon called the castle

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

admiralgar wrote:
    kyles (coolock)
    Just be sure to specify that you want 'old' guinness or they'll stick you with the extra cold sh*te.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

yeah thanks for the reminder, i wouldnt think about saying old or normal as i would like to call it.

saying that the new guinness 'north ice' or whatever its called is nice.

it would be nice to see toucan in a can as it was very tasty indeed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭pucan

In Limerick: Toms Collins on cecil st
    Galway: Murphys or Freeneys on Quay St

To whom it may concern, the best pint in sydney is in the Welcome Hotel, Evans St, Rozelle. Pure magic. Stay away from the "irish" bars

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

Mulligans, Poolbeg St.
    Smyths, Haddington Road
    O'Donaghues, Merrion Row
    Keoghs, South Anne St.
    Joe May's, Skerries

I was in Shehans off Grafton St. one saturday and seen the barman pulling a pint of Guiness for some lady tourist. Very funny because after the first pour the barman left the glass on the tray to settle, turned around to the till and when he looked back the lady was wolfing the unsettled 3/4 full pint down. Classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭crybaby

not a big guinness fan but the dragon is tallaght apparently is a great one and also bowes on fleet street beside doyles

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Had may a nice pint in the dragon when I was at Tallaght IT

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Dundalk Daily

Loughrans in Dundalk opposite the train station.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Had a pint in Down Under today, it was absolute muck. Had a gud one in the Grand Central after work on Fri ymmm

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Shoot The Crows in Sligo..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

basquille wrote:
    Shoot The Crows in Sligo..

If you get it at the right time my brother could be playin a seisiun and it tastes even better then...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭bigears

also my late grandfather and i used to go to gaffneys in fairview, the pint there is amazing.
    a wonderful stout pub and a wonderful pub all round, gaffneys is one of the few remaining pubs with professional old-school barmen who have worked there forever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

stepbar wrote:
    Had a gud one in the Grand Central after work on Fri ymmm
    I have to agree, I was in there on Saturday, and the Guinness was nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Troglodyte

I checked out the Guinness at the many-times-mentioned Mulligans. It was a decent enough pint, but nothing to get too excited about.

I can't believe nobody has mentioned Cafe En Seine. The Guinness there is consistantly excellent, and in my opinion, the best I've come across. Second place is awarded to The Stag's Head.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭sudzs

Has to be Mulligans for me!

And in Newcastlewest, Co. Limerick it has to be The Corner House! Anywhere else in that town is just terrible. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭g-punkteffekt

whoever said the goblet and the beaumount house - seriously - are you having a f**king laugh??? TERRIBLE pints in both those places.
    I've drank in most of the famous-for-their-guinness pubs in Dublin City, and by far the best is Walshes in Stonybatter. I can't believe it hasn't been mentioned yet. Most of you probably haven't been there but it's worth visiting, because you'll never taste better guinness, it MUST be the best in the world, nothing has ever come close.
    Mulligans is pretty good sometimes, but it's on/off with that place, I wasn't impressed the last couple of times I was there. The same can be said with the Stag's Head. The Cobblestone in Smithfield is pretty good too.
    I've kind of lost judgement though at this stage, since I started going to Walshes, Guinness has tasted very lacklustre everywhere else. Get your asses to Walshes if you're a Guinness connesseur.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dereko1969

walshes does serve a great pint, used to drink there a lot a few years ago, glad to hear it's still good. that is the pub that a lorry or a bus crashed into in the late 70's which caused it to close down for a while, apparently all the regulars there had to find a new pub for a while and wherever they ended they were referred to as the 'boat people' :D well made me laugh when i heard that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Guinness back home in Stradbally, Co. Laois [of electric picnic fame]

Ramsbottoms Bar, top of the town.

Tho, I'm toying with giving the best pint I've had to The Cellar in Abbeyfeale. Bloody excellent pints the weekend we were there.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Coileach dearg

pucan wrote:
    To whom it may concern, the best pint in sydney is in the Welcome Hotel, Evans St, Rozelle. Pure magic. Stay away from the "irish" bars

Agreed it is the best pint of Guinness I've had in Sydney but that really isn't saying alot. It's way too cold over here and just not right. I've seen some places pouring Guinness straight into schooners without letting it rest, God Almighty!

The best Guinness i've had was in a tiny little pub called "An Bolg Bui" in Ballina, Co.Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

For what it's worth, Downes in Waterford has probably the best Guiness in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

The best pint of Guinness I had was in the Half Way House on the Antrim coast. It was a SOFT pint poured at room temperature and took about 20 minutes to pour.

BUT IT WAS DEFINITELY WORTH THE WAIT!!!!! Lovely. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭ansionnachclist

Arthur's in Leixlip (guess where the name came from) do a good one, rightly so. I also quite like the Guinness in Doyle's on D'Olier Street.

Ah yes Doyle's I agree that they do pull a nice pint of Guinness there. I always end up there to end a night of Guinness drinking. Sends me home with a smile on my face.

But the best that I've ever had is in Johnny Fox's. I recommend it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

Gleesons Pub on West Street Drogheda, cannot recommend it highly enough, would rate it possibly the best pint of the black stuff in the town

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭eddiehobbs

Irish Arms in Lisdoonvarna does a great pint of guinness. Best ive had by far.

In Galway Taafes in shop street and O Connors in Salthill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭fredzer

Toners on Baggot St or Slatterys near Landsdown Rd , both cracking pints !!:)

Mulligans in Poolbeg St totally over-rated ......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 Doolie

My favourite has to be The Hut in Phibsboro, cracking pint

Advertisement