Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The best pint of Guinness in Dublin/Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

Take my word for it, the best pint of Guinness in Ireland is at the sampling/ tasting point in the keg plant in St Jame's Gate, not much of a social scene though. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭josh59

The biggest problem with getting a decent pint is that there is no longer any training to work in a bar. Those of us "of an age" will remember that lads had to serve their time as a barman. The current crop of barpersons - certainly in the city centre are of the over here for a few years, backpacker, student earning a few bob variety. Guinness to them is like any other "beer", you turn on the tap, hold the glass underneath and fill as fast as you can. The stuff is cooled to within an inch of it's life to facilitate this - generally takes around 10 seconds for the pint to settle it's so cold.

The Stawberry Hall in the Strawberry Beds on the liffey does a pretty good pint - they know what they are at there, Vera the boss woman has been pulling pints it seems since the start of the century. The barrels are stored in a cellar underneath the bar counter - which I'm told is actually below the level of the River Liffey accross the road -keeps the stuff naturally cool.

O'Cealachains on the Main Street in Carrick on Suir is'nt too bad either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

josh59 wrote:
    Vera the boss woman has been pulling pints it seems since the start of the century.
    So she's pulling pints for the last seven years, that dosen't seem very long!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

Best pint in Dublin - The Gravediggers.
    Best Pint in Galway city - Taffes

Best Pint in Ireland - Bonners in Mullaghduff, Donegal.

I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Last time I was in Gravediggers the pints were horrendous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

I've drank in most of the famous-for-their-guinness pubs in Dublin City, and by far the best is Walshes in Stonybatter. I can't believe it hasn't been mentioned yet.

Walshes was a great little pub but they've closed it down to do it up so wonder if it'll be as good afterwards
    The Stags Head hasn't been the same unfortunately since Louis took it over

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Dev 17

Ashton's in Clonskeagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Had a great pint in Bowes pub on Fleet street in Dublin a few weeks ago.
    I was with some friends from England and they couldn't believe how nice the Guinness was.

The Clonsilla Inn a few years ago used to do great pints of the black stuff but not anymore. Still not bad but no were as good as years ago.

The Horsemans Inn on the main street in Castleblaney has a great pint too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Had a lovely few Guinness in McSorley's Ranelagh at the weekend. The Guinness has improved no end since the last time I drank there.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭bandit197

J Finans in Charlestown, Co. Mayo has the best Guinness Ive ever tasted and this claim is based on extensive research:) Its an old style shop/pub with the shop in the front selling basically anything you are looking for. Pint is excellent, just the right temp. Im making myself thirsty now!;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

bandit197 wrote: »
    J Finans in Charlestown, Co. Mayo has the best Guinness Ive ever tasted and this claim is based on extensive research:) Its an old style shop/pub with the shop in the front selling basically anything you are looking for. Pint is excellent, just the right temp. Im making myself thirsty now!;)

Yes, even Liam Gallagher will testify, best pint i've ever tasted

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Harbour Bar, Bray, Co.Wicklow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

The Blacksticks Pub,O'Callaghans Mills,East Clare.
    Stepping in to this tiny pub is like stepping back in time as the interior hasn't changed since the early part of the 20th century.But they have the creamiest tastiest Guinness I have ever in my life tasted,probably because the pipes have never been cleaned.:D

http://www.clarepeople.com/content/view/844/874/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭gucci

At the weekend i had guinness in o'donougues and foleys (on baggot street i think?)
    And the Long Hall on Georges street.
    Id have no complaints about any of it to be honest but i think o'donoghues was best.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Mrs. D'arcy

Great guiness and tunes....I miss galway :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Flowing Tide on Abbey St served me a pretty good pint yesterday! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 padswhack

oil can harry's on mount street.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

The Gravediggers has always served a great pint but a little unknown one is the Clonliffe Harriers bar in Santry, always superb.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

freedgull wrote: »
    Best pint I've had in years was at John McHales (Johnny's) in Castlebar.

They also serve a Medium there which is 3/4's of a pint of Guinness

I concur

gurramok wrote: »
    Flowing Tide on Abbey St served me a pretty good pint yesterday! :)

Drink in there regularly, and they do a smashing pint. Last time I was in there, it was so good I thought the place was called the Flying Toad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭jellybean520

Gus O'Connors in Doolin in the Summer.....aaaah bliss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Indeed mmmmmmmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭nedward

Have to hit Doyle's tonight after reading this whole thread.

Johnny McHale's, mmmmmm xxx, great pint

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Suaimhneas

Neachtain's in galway, always the first stop of the day/night! Also Taffes is gooooood!
    Have to mention a little pub in Ballinamore Co. Leitrim called Mc Girls that is devine, an inspiration to all others! yum! makes me happy just thinking about it!
    Have a great selection of pubs to try 2mrw, was looking for a pub in dublin i've not been to... thanks for the tips!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Get down to the Ringsend pubs!

The Hobblers End on Bridge St across from the church has always served a cracking fresh pint of the black stuff no matter what time of day or night. Same goes for all the other lagers, they always clean their pipes!
    Any other pub down there like The Yacht and other old man pubs serve excellent pints also!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭leiwand

jack humphrys,north strand before it closed.i can almost taste it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

'The Blue Haven' in Rathfarnham.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

downses and jordans in waterford are both hard to feckin beat, couldn't call it between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭shanel23

The Palace on Fleet st.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭interlocked

Was in Dublin at the begnning of August and paid my first ever visit to Mulligans. had been planning to do it for ages because of its reputation.

Have to say that i was hugely disappointed in the Guinness, had three pints and they were medicore, friend of mine was on Smithwicks and he wasn't impressed either.

We went down to the Palace, a pub I like, again the pints were only ok, ended up in Mc Daids which had by far the best pints of the night.real fresh pints, good heads, kept the head to the bottom of the glass.

Maybe I was just unlucky but I'd be pretty underwhelmed at the thought of Mulligans again

BTW agree abut Johnny McHales in Castlebar, great meejums don't miss it if you're in Castlebar.

Advertisement