Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The best pint of Guinness in Dublin/Ireland

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Agree with the Mulligans not been great and probably overrated.
    I've been there a few times in the evenings when it's been packed expecting a decent pint as lots were drinking the black stuff but it had always turned out to be an ordinary pint, nothing special
    You'd get better pints elsewhere even in pubs where you'd expect the Guinness not to be great!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

The Carpenter in Dublin 15. Used to go there every Friday with the same four mates and the Guinness would flow til all hours. Smashing pints in there.

Have had one or two decent pints over here. The local Irish bar does a good one. The English pub around the corner on the other hand.........saw the barman pull a pint one night. He poured it straight, all the way to the top, then when it set, he tipped the head out and topped it up again! :eek: I left the pub having seen that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

gurramok wrote: »
    You'd get better pints elsewhere even in pubs where you'd expect the Guinness not to be great!

+1

I believe too much hype usually leads to disappointment. Interestingly, Denmark was rated as the world's happiest country due to the population's low expectations.

http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/01/08/news/danes.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

Donoghues on Suffolk is the best ive had in Dublin yet, although ive only sampled the black stuff in about a dozen places.

Warning, dont drink it in Fibber Magees (i just realised there's no need to even say this)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Gravity Bar, Guinness Visitor Centre

I don't know if it's the best but if it isn't, then management need to be asking some serious questions about the place. No excuse!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭whitser

kennedys beside tara st train station. like milk:D

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

I've already mentioned the Gravediggers and Clonliffe Harriers bar but I'd like to add Cartys Bar (the side bar of The IVy House) in Drumcondra is consistently good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

Best pint Ive had in Dublin was in the Sackville Lounge off O'Connell St.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I like what i get at my local, Bagnals in Rochfortbridge. Lysters down the road also does an excellent pint.
    I love Guinness, but my taste has moved beyond mass produced beer these days. Im into premium beers now. Mostly Brittish but what there is of Irish also.

O' Haras Irish stout brewed by the carlow brewing company is absolutly fantastic. I can not begin to do it justice with words. You can get it in bottles in Tesco usually and unlike Guinness it tastes brilliant from the bottle.

If you live in Dublin you might be able to get it on Tap at some of the microbrew pubs like Porterhouse or Bull and castle etc.

Im currently brewing my own stout (from a kit). It will probably turn out crap since its my first time brewing beer but by the new year i will 40 pints of nice stout or 40 pints down the sink :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Well I have been 'sampling' Guinness since I was 13 and now at 49 quality rather than quantity being the main thing I am really picky about my pubs - some of my favourites for Guinness and atmosphere would have to be: Cotter's Bar, Cape Clear Island; The Railway Bar, Lixnaw, Co.Kerry; Morrissey's, Abbeyleix; Kehoe's, South Anne Street; French's, Gorey; the Antique Tavern, Enniscorthy and the earlier incarnation of The Crown Bar in Wexford. Anybody remember the original Lincolns Inn at the back gate of Trinity? Cracking pints, company and toasties in burnt cellophane!

Slighty off the point but do other posters find that being served a pint of Guinness in a non-Guinness glass stomach churning? :):)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Saruman wrote: »
    If you live in Dublin you might be able to get it on Tap at some of the microbrew pubs like Porterhouse or Bull and castle etc.
    Bull & Castle, O'Neill's on Suffolk Street and branches of Ely. It's rubbish on draught, though. Nitro kills stout flavour and aroma. The Bull & Castle is the only pub I know which sells it by the bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭MattKane

One of the best pints of Guinness I've ever was at the Harbour Bar in Portrush. Also the Crown Bar in Belfast, generally pour very good pints.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

Live in Ennis now and there really isn't a single pub that's decent. Maybe Bar 16 at a stretch. I like the porter in The Porter Stall in temple bar. Usually go there for a few pints fo 4X when I'm in Dublin.

Im shocked at that. Ciarans used be well known for serving a consistently good pint when i lived in ennis, in fact i practically lived in Ciarans!
    Any time i have been back since its still been good as well as best i can remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

Chuileog wrote: »
    Im shocked at that. Ciarans used be well known for serving a consistently good pint when i lived in ennis, in fact i practically lived in Ciarans!
    Any time i have been back since its still been good as well as best i can remember.
    Any pubs of note in Galway City, with the exception of Murphys on shop street?

Sheridan's on the Docks is the best pub in Galway, IMO. But it's not somewhere you go for Guinness :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,505 ✭✭✭baldbear

Johnny McHales Castlebar does a savage pint of porter. Old school pub.I'm drooling at the thoughts of a nice frothy creamy pint mmmmmmmm. Fluck work anyway!!!!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭White_Feather

dont drink guiness but my brother and his friends swear that without a doubt it has to be the grave diggers in glasnevin next to the old entrance of the cemetry. If you are looking for a bit of craic, still kinda old style pub....the diggers is the place without a doubt!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Had a pint in Toners on Baggot street last saturday.Best pint of Guinness I had this year in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭the bolt

not a big stout man but st collimcilles gaa clubhouse in swords most of the time,the shamrock in falcaragh

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

josh59 wrote: »

The stuff is cooled to within an inch of it's life to facilitate this - generally takes around 10 seconds for the pint to settle it's so cold.

I believe that is what is behind this extra cold guinness i.e. to make it easier for untrained bar staff to pour.It also seems to go to your head very quickly.I think that must have something to do with drinking that amount of a cold liquid.

But its harder to drink and gives more of a hangover.

For various reasons I have not been drinking a great deal in recent years but the best Guinness that I have ever had was in Ryans in Cong Co. Mayo.The old Michael(sadly no longer with us)could pour a better pint than anybody else from the same bar on the same night.
    I don't know why that is but it is a fact.It was like drinking glasses of milk and you would think that you had been in the pub about half an hour and had a couple of pints but infact it would be three or four hours and nearer to ten pints.
    Thats the test when it goes down effortlessly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭scooby2791

Nicest I have had have been in Mulligans of Poolbeg St, The Beachcomber in Killester(depending on the barman)

IMO the worst were Cineworld!, The Harbour Master, Vaults, and cant forget the one i got in crawdaddy in a plastic cup poured so badly.

According to a friend O'Donoghues or The Goblet have very nice Guiness, there next on my list anyhow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

O'Connors shop and bar in Ballinlough County Roscommon. Go in for the groceries and have a few before you walk home ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

scooby2791 wrote: »
    Nicest I have had have been in Mulligans of Poolbeg St, The Beachcomber in Killester(depending on the barman)

IMO the worst were Cineworld!, The Harbour Master, Vaults, and cant forget the one i got in crawdaddy in a plastic cup poured so badly.

According to a friend O'Donoghues or The Goblet have very nice Guiness, there next on my list anyhow :)

I wholeheartedly agree with Mulligans.

On the topic of plastic glasses, I had a pint in the Village. It was a single pour pint in a plastic glass. Got the same in Vicar St as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 kunob

By absolute miles the best pint(s) I ever had in Ireland is in Kenmare, in FBO Sullivan's pub. I had many great pints, but these were absolutely stupendously good. Sweet, bitter, creamy, refreshing; absolute perfection.

In Dublin it is getting more difficult. Mulligan's Poolbeg St. still has a great pint, The Stag's Head used to have a great pint, but after the ownership changed, I had a dreadful pint there and never went back. The Brazen Head pint is also absolute top class.

Hotels in Dublin have the worst pints, I refuse to drink pints in hotels now. And in general you only get a good pint in one out of ten pubs, the rest are not enjoyable at all. I wonder where the Guinness Quality teams spends their time; the quality of the pint in the capital has been steadily going down the hill over the last ten years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭MikeyNT

Blows the theory "Guinness doesn't travel very well" completely out of the water. I never really subscribed to it anyway.

Agreed on hotels in general - Guinness quality is simply not a priority for them. Equally "super" pubs tend to serve up terrible stout, once again I'm sure it's because of different market priorities.

The discerning Guinness drinker will seek out the pubs who keep their beer lines extremely clean, ensuring zero detergent residue remains in the system with ample flushing of fresh water. It should have a a good crop of regulars who are of course Guinness drinkers ensuring a steady flow of the stuff, and finally the pint should be poured with care and never rushed.

Crowded bars with loud music = generally bad Guinness

It's not rocket science....

MikeyNT wrote: »
    It's not rocket science....
    Indeed. It's not exclusive to Guinness either: the name of any draught beer can be substituted in your statement above.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

McAlinden's on Dominic Street, Galway.

Quiet pub, lots of locals go there, got a pool table and a great jukebox.

And the Guinness is a religious experience :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Have to say Birchalls in Ranelagh have amazing pints of Guinness, have been there 3 nights in a row this week they're that good!

Definitely want to try Mulligan's after the comments above

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭thebullkf

sorry to refresh this thread but i think the company you share enhances any night drinking, i've had many, many pints in most if not all counties in Ireland, over a sustained period.
    Some of the best :
    Shoot the Crows in Sligo.
    Lyngs/Lynches in Ennis. or the old Shop come pub on Considine street {i think}
    The Blue Note in Galway/Taaffes.
    The {old }Keg in Waterford.
    Seans/and anorther one in Athlone..can't remember the name....a female sounding name...
    Durty Nellys in Bunratty.
    Fennesseysin Limerick
    A small boozer outsideRingaskiddy in Cork...can't remember the name..sold cans and Pint bottles of McEwans Ale...
    Small rockers bar in Kilkenny...name again escapes me...there or Dempseys.
    Morrissseys Abbeyleix

Carnew House..big brown boozer in Carnew.
    Micks in Trim/Brogans/the emmett

The Sunset in Dublin{when Mccabe owned it}
    The Goblet
    The Inn.
    The Playwright
    Larry Murphys {on a good day}
    The Goose Tavern
    Murphys in Crumlin village...
    Ruby Finnegans in Ballyfermot.
    The place on Camden Street..used to have pool table...

• Advertisement

thebullkf wrote: »
    Pint bottles of McEwans Ale
    :confused: Macardles?

Advertisement