Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The best pint of Guinness in Dublin/Ireland

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Like others here, I'm sceptical as to whether there is such a thing as a pub serving an extraordinarily good pint, however I certainly wouldn't say that its impossible for a pub to serve a dreadful pint. I have had two undrinkable pints, one in a student bar and one in a fairly well known bar in Dublin, believe me they were brutal, one even had bits in and tasted quite literally rancid. Everything else I have had has been roughly on a par, and a good par, so I'd say the quality teams have most places in check. Perhaps knowing where not to go is more important than knowing where to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

The Oarsman in Ringsend. Quality Guinness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Michael Kelly's in Wexford town is one of my favourites for Guinness
    agreed. their three part pour is something ive only seen there. one barman is really sound but the rest arent the friendlest though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

On the one hand, Guinness is a filtered, pasteurised, scientifically mass produced product that should taste identical wherever it is served.

That said, I recently had the pleasure of having Guinness on Achill Island. Well I might have been served a pint of O'Hara's or some other wonderful micro brewed stout because it was so different to any Guinness have ever had. The velvet chocolate could have been a pint of Murphy's except for the more bitter, burnt coffee qualities of Guinness and other stouts.

Some pubs server crap Guinness because their lines are not cleaned correctly etc.

I have no answer to why Achill Island Guinness tasted like a completely different stout.

adamski8 wrote: »
    agreed. their three part pour is something ive only seen there. one barman is really sound but the rest arent the friendlest though.
    Three part pour? The two part pour is a marketing gimmick throwback to a traditional two cask (old and new) system. Unnecessary with modern technology.

What is the idea behind a three part pour?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Saruman wrote: »
    I have no answer to why Achill Island Guinness tasted like a completely different stout.

temperature ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

Bigcheeze wrote: »

temperature ?

Context. I don't believe that anywhere can do an amazing pint that can be deemed to be the best. Once it is at the right temperature and is fresh, a pint is a pint (easy to serve bad ones though). But if you are drinking it on achill island looking out over the hills with some old fella playing rebel songs in the corner, it is going to taste better than a pint on a friday night in some joint on Camden street. Even if it is the same. Bit like fish and chips tasting better is you eat them by the sea after a long walk than just a take out at home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Three part pour? The two part pour is a marketing gimmick throwback to a traditional two cask (old and new) system. Unnecessary with modern technology.

What is the idea behind a three part pour?
    No idea, it makes you feel like fool though when you go to collect it after the second :o

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Lombardo86

Im looking for some inspiration.. some modern places as i have trawled through the thread but not a lot sticking out.

If i wanted a nice Guinness in Dublin City tonight where would i go?

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

Lombardo86 wrote: »
    Im looking for some inspiration.. some modern places as i have trawled through the thread but not a lot sticking out.

If i wanted a nice Guinness in Dublin City tonight where would i go?

Mulligans Poolbeg Street :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Antrim_Man wrote: »
    Mulligans Poolbeg Street :)

I'd have to agree. a lovely "soft" pint... for whatever reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Slaphead07 wrote: »
    I'd have to agree. a lovely "soft" pint... for whatever reason.

Stag's Head too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Mulligans is hit and miss for me. 51 Haddington Road, The Beggars Bush, The Waterside in Howth, The Ferryman and The Windjammer do excellent pints. As for bad pints most nightclubs in Dublin, The Ocean Bar, The Top Hat in Howth to name but a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭K.C

Hope it hasn't been mentioned before but the Thatch pub(McDonaghs) in Oranmore,Co.Galway serves a great pint.

Advertisement