Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Athlone thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Coosan Point is nice. Always ducks and swans around plus picnic benches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 780 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

Along the greenway perhaps. Never found central Athlone great for walking really. Stroll along by the river from Burgess park, over and across the bridge and down to the lock on the other side. I’m sure some of the coffee places are open there for takeaways. The park in Moate is very nice. There’s out by the water at the Hodson Bay hotel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭pawrick

I used to walk from the docks down along the callows as far as where the canal joins the river and loop back. Not sure what state it's in these days though as it's been many yrs since I've been down therebut in sunny weather it used to be nice to sit feeding the swans around there. Pity there isn't a pedestrian bridge over the weir wall linking with Burgess park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

pawrick wrote: »
    I used to walk from the docks down along the callows as far as where the canal joins the river and loop back. Not sure what state it's in these days though as it's been many yrs since I've been down therebut in sunny weather it used to be nice to sit feeding the swans around there. Pity there isn't a pedestrian bridge over the weir wall linking with Burgess park.

That is a lovely walk. Haven't done it in about 4 years, but can't imagine it has deteriorated, it was always relatively popular. Wear appropriate attire if so, it is quite grassy down the callows.

Start at Bastion Quay apartments and follow the trail down as far as the silver bridge at the south end of the canal, you can then turn and walk back the way you came or else follow the canal road which brings you out at Deerpark. The trail shows up fairly clearly on Google Earth if you have a look.

Great start to the season for Athlone and Cabsy.

Winning in galway followed by cork is some achievement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭TimHorton

Great start to the season for Athlone and Cabsy.

Winning in galway followed by cork is some achievement.

Galway was a home game.

TimHorton wrote: »
    Galway was a home game.

Good spot. Still, some wins against teams they don't usually have luck against. A fantastic start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Backed up by another good win in Bray. Best run of results I can remember since Roddy was in charge. Let's hope they can keep it up and make a good run at promotion this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,256 ✭✭✭✭flazio

With the news that Carphone has gone belly up I've been thinking that Domino's and Subway should bandy together and buy the store between them and put in some indoor tables and chairs. (Post covid of course)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭rn

Do Dominos do dine in anywhere?

• Advertisement

Some work being seen on the last KM of the cycleway to Abbey Road from vantage point of the white gates. Frustrating waiting for this to get done for so long but with this and the (much longer wait) bridge, there's finally going to be a legal and practical way for a cyclist to go from Westside to Eastside

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Plenty of activity at the other end as well. They've lowered the walls at the back of the hospital, I think put in a new opening too, and fencing has gone up on the other side of the road towards the old abbey.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭batman75

Anybody know what's going into the old Mr Price down by Golden Island

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 780 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

batman75 wrote: »

Where is Mr. Price gone? Haven’t been in town since before Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭Ryath

Where is Mr. Price gone? Haven’t been in town since before Christmas.

They moved out to Cornamaddy where their warehouse was in February. They may be back in the Diskin Centre yet!

https://www.westmeathindependent.ie/2021/02/23/council-refuses-planning-approval-for-mr-price-shop/

They might move the whole lot out of Athlone in retaliation. But I do agree with Westmeath Co Co.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

batman75 wrote: »
    Afaik The whole block is being levelled and rebuilt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

rn wrote: »
    They might move the whole lot out of Athlone in retaliation. But I do agree with Westmeath Co Co.
    I doubt it, nationwide distribution centre and albeit the finest Mr Price retail I have been in, not a lot of footfall there tbh. It’s very convenient for me to drop into as I am passing there regularly but if it was in such an out of the way place as it is for a lot of people I doubt it would cross my mind.

They'll have to close the retail end now.

• Advertisement

4 wins in a row for the mighty town!

Sorry for spamming boards with this stuff but we don't have this sort of run more than once a decade so I may enjoy it! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭toodleytoo

Is there anywhere in Athlone doing takeaway pints?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

Sorry for spamming boards with this stuff but we don't have this sort of run more than once a decade so I may enjoy it! :pac:

Yeah been watching the last 3 games on LOITV, it's a different team than what I'm used to watching on a cold wet night in Lissywoolen. Barnse's 2nd goal last night was world class, Le Tiss would have been proud lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Spam away! We all need a lad to have an outlet for his un-bridled and mostly un-expected joy!

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭BingCrosbee

Spent my teens going to Mels Park in the B division and then the proper LOI. Great to see them going well. Up the town. My buddy, the towns no. 1 supporter, updates me each week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

haven't been to St Mel's since Shane Curran was in goals for a penalty shoot out
    great to see

• Advertisement

Good News ! Screwfix is coming to Athlone soon ! Monksland I believe. https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/screwfix-jobs/?originalSubdomain=ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,295 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

TimHorton wrote: »
    Good News ! Screwfix is coming to Athlone soon ! Monksland I believe. https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/screwfix-jobs/?originalSubdomain=ie

Monksland isn't in Athlone!

Monksland isn't in Athlone!

Rather than listening to your nonsense,

I'll defer to the largest business open to the public in Monkland - Supervalu. Their published address is as follows.

Monksland - Smith's

Unit 3/4 Rivervillage
    Athlone
    Co Roscommon
    Ireland

https://supervalu.ie/store-locator

Ah now lads, let's not start all that boundary stuff again. Monksland is technically adjacent to Athlone, but for all intents and purposes monksland is part of Athlone.

Ah now lads, let's not start all that boundary stuff again. Monksland is technically adjacent to Athlone, but for all intents and purposes monksland is part of Athlone.
    Totally agree, What a load of nonsense.

The simple fact is Screwfix is coming to serve the people of Athlone and it will be located in Monksland. End of story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Great news.
    A walk in store?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Can anyone tell me what is so great about Screwfix? I just don't know about them. Better, cheaper than B&Q for example?

Great news.
    A walk in store?

Bit Like Argos , Click and Collect with a small customer area with some Items on Display.

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me what is so great about Screwfix? I just don't know about them. Better, cheaper than B&Q for example?

B&Q and Screwfix are both owned by Kingfisher. You will see Diall and NoNosense stuff in both.

Screwfix is more for the keen DIYer and Trade Professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Coralcoras

Athlone It now has University Status. Anyone hazard a guess as to what this means for the town?

Coralcoras wrote: »
    Athlone IT now has University Status. Anyone hazard a guess as to what this means for the town?
    More coke & hookers :P
    Should attract more R&D business with a bit of luck.

Screw fix and a university in the one week!

Re Athlone TU It's a pity the collaboration couldn't be with GMIT as there's much better transport links between athlone and Galway, than athlone and Limerick. But still, well done to all involved and I hope it will be a successful venture.

Coralcoras wrote: »
    Athlone It now has University Status. Anyone hazard a guess as to what this means for the town?

A lot will depend on what the new institution is called. If Limerick is in the title it will be bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭mart 23

Screw fix and a university in the one week!

Re Athlone TU It's a pity the collaboration couldn't be with GMIT as there's much better transport links between athlone and Galway, than athlone and Limerick. But still, well done to all involved and I hope it will be a successful venture.

Between Athlone and Limerick you can use the M6 and M18 .

mart 23 wrote: »
    Between Athlone and Limerick you can use the M6and M18 .

You can also use the Shannon. A new slipway is being built in Burgess Park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭rje66

Great news.
    A walk in store?

Ones I've been to in Dublin would be like Argos, in that you know what u want, pay at counter, staff go to warehouse to retrieve. So not a walk about type like McQuillans. Also a lot of order on line, call over later and collect. Think this model is the way they'll do it.

rje66 wrote: »
    Ones I've been to in Dublin would be like Argos, in that you know what u want, pay at counter, staff go to warehouse to retrieve. So not a walk about type like McQuillans. Also a lot of order on line, call over later and collect. Think this model is the way they'll do it.

Thats the way it works in Tullamore, I presume all others will be the same.

A lot will depend on what the new institution is called. If Limerick is in the title it will be bad.

Word on the street is that "Monksland Technical University" is a front runner .:D

MTU, will that 1500 or 9000?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 240 ✭✭damanloox

It looks like I'll be buying a house in Athlone area and moving with my family there.
    Any recommendations on where to focus my search? I don't want to be in the town but rather in one of the villages/towns (preferably to the east) - not too far though... Also - which primary school would be considered "the best" (or at least "good") in Athlone (or area)?

damanloox wrote: »
    It looks like I'll be buying a house in Athlone area and moving with my family there.
    Any recommendations on where to focus my search? I don't want to be in the town but rather in one of the villages/towns (preferably to the east) - not too far though... Also - which primary school would be considered "the best" (or at least "good") in Athlone (or area)?

Don't buy on the Far Side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Don't buy on the Far Side.

as in, Leinster?

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

damanloox wrote: »

The Woodville estate (Woodville grange) on east side of town looks decent, nice big houses, green area etc... not massively expensive (prob around 250k would get you a 4 bed).

Wonder if Seans will bother with the outdoor pints or continue to claim the government supports after June 7?

• Advertisement

Wonder if Seans will bother with the outdoor pints or continue to claim the government supports after June 7?

More like Insurance Payouts than gov supports.

Advertisement