Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athlone thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Hopkins did a sort of early retirement by going to the Seanad's house of failed politicians. She's since settled down to have a family so will be doing even less in politics for a while now.

Speaking of the Seanad, sympathy vote McFadden is trying her hand again to move back into the Dail. Again not a hope she would get in on Westmeath side barring some blind party loyalties to Leos party.

You could argue being visible in Athlone may help her case but i don't see her doing top 3 there with whats on offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭rn

Agree, but she'll make Peter Burke more of a certainty as most of her transfers should go to him. But she hasn't much hope in Athlone as boxer should hover votes from all parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Again not a hope she would get in on Westmeath side barring some blind party loyalties to Leos party.

You could argue being visible in Athlone may help her case.

Quite the opposite. The more visible she is the more obvious it is that she is utterly hopeless and only in politics by complete accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Any recommendations for a car valet in Athlone?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Quite the opposite. The more visible she is the more obvious it is that she is utterly hopeless and only in politics by complete accident.

I wouldn't vote for Gabby if you paid me, but I'm in the Roscommon/Galway constitutency so I won't have the opportunity to not vote for her.
    marvin80 wrote: »

The Grove out the west side of Athlone. They do a roaring trade out there.

• Advertisement

Second the Grove lads. They are excellent and priced reasonably. But they are busy guys. There's a new place beside alkemes, behind unique health and fitness. They are doing some excellent value offers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Stichy

While on the subject of cars could anyone recommend a good mechanic? Cheers

Stichy wrote: »
    While on the subject of cars could anyone recommend a good mechanic? Cheers

I would recommend the lads in the tyre brigade in blry industrial estate. I've also been happy with noel wheelan. His workshop is out old Galway Road just before Kennys garage. However it's 5 years since I've had a car there.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭White lighting

rn wrote: »
    I would recommend the lads in the tyre brigade in blry industrial estate. I've also been happy with noel wheelan. His workshop is out old Galway Road just before Kennys garage. However it's 5 years since I've had a car there.

Dont think Noel is involved out there anymore. Shane Mulvey was running that garage last i heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭stooge

I would recommend the lads in the tyre brigade in blry industrial estate.

I would second these lads. very reasonable to deal with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Dont think Noel is involved out there anymore. Shane Mulvey was running that garage last i heard.

I've been away for the last year and a bit but had been going to Noel Whelan since I started driving. When Shane took over Noel's operation beside Murphy's shop I stayed going to him and he's always been very good to deal with and reasonable on price.

Still no sign of new work on the Greenway to the Shannon. Ye'd think a bit of machinery might appear this close to election, especially with the finish date of summer time

• Registered Users Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭cena

Second the Grove lads. They are excellent and priced reasonably. But they are busy guys. There's a new place beside alkemes, behind unique health and fitness. They are doing some excellent value offers.

but they use sponges and brushes' to clean the paint work. It is a no no for me

cena wrote: »

Fair enough, each to their own. There's couple other options for you to try. Bannons service station, car wash at lennons beside Jones oil. Car wash beside shack pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

cena wrote: »
    marvin80 wrote: »

Depends on what level you are after
    If you want a FULL valet, check out Peter over in Ferbane
    https://www.facebook.com/ocdferbane/
    https://ocddetailing.ie/

Not cheap but it will look like it's just rolled out of the dealership

• Registered Users Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

endabob1 wrote: »
    Depends on what level you are after
    If you want a FULL valet, check out Peter over in Ferbane
    https://www.facebook.com/ocdferbane/
    https://ocddetailing.ie/

Not cheap but it will look like it's just rolled out of the dealership

Highly recommend him. I got him to do my car when I was getting it ready to put up for sale, and I nearly didn't want to sell it after, it looked fantastic.

I got my current car valetted by him late last year and it rolled out of there looking better than when I had bought it!

He may not be the cheapest but my God you'll feel like you've been handed the keys of a new car when you sit into your motor after!! Look at his facebook page for before and afters.

What gives with the old O Neill's building. Now that the orange loop smiles at it every lap, wouldn't it be useful to have it looking less of an eyesore and rebuilt into something... maybe a donut shop or some other modern trendy spot

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

What gives with the old O Neill's building. Now that the orange loop smiles at it every lap, wouldn't it be useful to have it looking less of an eyesore and rebuilt into something... maybe a donut shop or some other modern trendy spot

What year did it go up in flames? 2010? Would it not be better to free up a bit of land in the centre of town for some outdoor amenities? There's more than enough pubs in town, and a ton of unused commercial units.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

L.Jenkins wrote: »
    What year did it go up in flames? 2010? Would it not be better to free up a bit of land in the centre of town for some outdoor amenities? There's more than enough pubs in town, and a ton of unused commercial units.

Yeah it burned down around December 2010 during that long cold spell we had. It was a pity, it was a fine premises.

They could use the land to sort that poxy junction out some way but I agree, there are enough pubs in the town as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

The council announced last year that they would build on that site as part of the next phase of street upgrades.

• Advertisement

Boxer recently mentioned that the Athlone Link Road phase 2 (the bit of wasteland that Bus Eireann been hoarding forcing one to take the one way around station) is now granted the cash to be built

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=2469893083249992&id=1703918089847499&__tn__=K-R

Should help ease the nightmare that is the Crescent Junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭carq

Whats the plan there - where would the new road go ?

Something like the red line i draw on this map. I guess that theres a land grab from some of BE's site

Sorry it wont attach

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

Still no sign of new work on the Greenway to the Shannon. Ye'd think a bit of machinery might appear this close to election, especially with the finish date of summer time
    Yes you would think there should be something happening there.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭homenotaway

The Tyre Brigade or Exit 13 or somewhere else for a car service?

Any and all suggestions welcome please and thanks ☺

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

The Tyre Brigade or Exit 13 or somewhere else for a car service?

Any and all suggestions welcome please and thanks ☺

Used them before for service before NCT. Well priced, decent lads, wont rob ya

• Registered Users Posts: 12,823 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Could someone explain to me why there are street lights at the Ganlys exit of the bypass facing away from the road?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

flazio wrote: »
    Could someone explain to me why there are street lights at the Ganlys exit of the bypass facing away from the road?

Its to light up the walking track that starts there.

• Advertisement

Its to light up the walking track that starts there.

Nice little stretch of walkway - sadly leads to nothing and your left walking on the narrow paths of Roscommon Road to complete the lap.

Hopefully they link it to the canal walking route and the new cycle bridge

Advertisement