Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athlone thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭toodleytoo

Is there anywhere in Athlone doing takeaway pints?

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

4 wins in a row for the mighty town!

Sorry for spamming boards with this stuff but we don't have this sort of run more than once a decade so I may enjoy it! :pac:

Yeah been watching the last 3 games on LOITV, it's a different team than what I'm used to watching on a cold wet night in Lissywoolen. Barnse's 2nd goal last night was world class, Le Tiss would have been proud lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

4 wins in a row for the mighty town!

Sorry for spamming boards with this stuff but we don't have this sort of run more than once a decade so I may enjoy it! :pac:

Spam away! We all need a lad to have an outlet for his un-bridled and mostly un-expected joy!

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭BingCrosbee

Spent my teens going to Mels Park in the B division and then the proper LOI. Great to see them going well. Up the town. My buddy, the towns no. 1 supporter, updates me each week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

haven't been to St Mel's since Shane Curran was in goals for a penalty shoot out
    great to see

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭TimHorton

Good News ! Screwfix is coming to Athlone soon ! Monksland I believe. https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/screwfix-jobs/?originalSubdomain=ie

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

TimHorton wrote: »
    Good News ! Screwfix is coming to Athlone soon ! Monksland I believe. https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/screwfix-jobs/?originalSubdomain=ie

Monksland isn't in Athlone!

Monksland isn't in Athlone!

Rather than listening to your nonsense,

I'll defer to the largest business open to the public in Monkland - Supervalu. Their published address is as follows.

Monksland - Smith's

Unit 3/4 Rivervillage
    Athlone
    Co Roscommon
    Ireland

https://supervalu.ie/store-locator

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭rn

Ah now lads, let's not start all that boundary stuff again. Monksland is technically adjacent to Athlone, but for all intents and purposes monksland is part of Athlone.

rn wrote: »
    Ah now lads, let's not start all that boundary stuff again. Monksland is technically adjacent to Athlone, but for all intents and purposes monksland is part of Athlone.
    Totally agree, What a load of nonsense.

The simple fact is Screwfix is coming to serve the people of Athlone and it will be located in Monksland. End of story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Great news.
    A walk in store?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Can anyone tell me what is so great about Screwfix? I just don't know about them. Better, cheaper than B&Q for example?

Great news.
    A walk in store?

Bit Like Argos , Click and Collect with a small customer area with some Items on Display.

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me what is so great about Screwfix? I just don't know about them. Better, cheaper than B&Q for example?

B&Q and Screwfix are both owned by Kingfisher. You will see Diall and NoNosense stuff in both.

Screwfix is more for the keen DIYer and Trade Professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Coralcoras

Athlone It now has University Status. Anyone hazard a guess as to what this means for the town?

Coralcoras wrote: »
    Athlone IT now has University Status. Anyone hazard a guess as to what this means for the town?
    More coke & hookers :P
    Should attract more R&D business with a bit of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭rn

Screw fix and a university in the one week!

Re Athlone TU It's a pity the collaboration couldn't be with GMIT as there's much better transport links between athlone and Galway, than athlone and Limerick. But still, well done to all involved and I hope it will be a successful venture.

Coralcoras wrote: »
    Athlone It now has University Status. Anyone hazard a guess as to what this means for the town?

A lot will depend on what the new institution is called. If Limerick is in the title it will be bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭mart 23

rn wrote: »
    Screw fix and a university in the one week!

Re Athlone TU It's a pity the collaboration couldn't be with GMIT as there's much better transport links between athlone and Galway, than athlone and Limerick. But still, well done to all involved and I hope it will be a successful venture.

Between Athlone and Limerick you can use the M6 and M18 .

mart 23 wrote: »
    Between Athlone and Limerick you can use the M6and M18 .

You can also use the Shannon. A new slipway is being built in Burgess Park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭rje66

Great news.
    A walk in store?

Ones I've been to in Dublin would be like Argos, in that you know what u want, pay at counter, staff go to warehouse to retrieve. So not a walk about type like McQuillans. Also a lot of order on line, call over later and collect. Think this model is the way they'll do it.

rje66 wrote: »
    Ones I've been to in Dublin would be like Argos, in that you know what u want, pay at counter, staff go to warehouse to retrieve. So not a walk about type like McQuillans. Also a lot of order on line, call over later and collect. Think this model is the way they'll do it.

Thats the way it works in Tullamore, I presume all others will be the same.

A lot will depend on what the new institution is called. If Limerick is in the title it will be bad.

Word on the street is that "Monksland Technical University" is a front runner .:D

MTU, will that 1500 or 9000?

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭damanloox

It looks like I'll be buying a house in Athlone area and moving with my family there.
    Any recommendations on where to focus my search? I don't want to be in the town but rather in one of the villages/towns (preferably to the east) - not too far though... Also - which primary school would be considered "the best" (or at least "good") in Athlone (or area)?

damanloox wrote: »
    It looks like I'll be buying a house in Athlone area and moving with my family there.
    Any recommendations on where to focus my search? I don't want to be in the town but rather in one of the villages/towns (preferably to the east) - not too far though... Also - which primary school would be considered "the best" (or at least "good") in Athlone (or area)?

Don't buy on the Far Side.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Don't buy on the Far Side.

as in, Leinster?

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

damanloox wrote: »

The Woodville estate (Woodville grange) on east side of town looks decent, nice big houses, green area etc... not massively expensive (prob around 250k would get you a 4 bed).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Wonder if Seans will bother with the outdoor pints or continue to claim the government supports after June 7?

• Advertisement

Wonder if Seans will bother with the outdoor pints or continue to claim the government supports after June 7?

More like Insurance Payouts than gov supports.

Advertisement