Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athlone thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Demonique

Yakisoba and Soho (I think they might be run by the same people) have delicious mainly Japanese food

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Demonique wrote: »
    Yakisoba and Soho (I think they might be run by the same people) have delicious mainly Japanese food

Where are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Yakisoba is across from golden Island in the same building as the pharmacy but on the opposite end, just past where meteor used to be.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Yeah, to elaborate, the article from before said..

following the rail line to Daneshill before turning southwards in Roscommon.

Daneshill is an estate in Monksland

One has to imagine a bit of awkwardness going through the Barracks, crossing the canal etc but if its beside the line its doable-ish. Need some serious segregation - its a busy line

The walking track from Ganly’s to Cushla has been upgraded recently and lights / CCTV added. Wonder is this part of the route?

Cycle track could go down by the No1 (when not flooded) and then back up Talbot Avenue?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭veryangryman

charlieIRL wrote: »
    The walking track from Ganly’s to Cushla has been upgraded recently and lights / CCTV added. Wonder is this part of the route?

Cycle track could go down by the No1 (when not flooded) and then back up Talbot Avenue?

Not sure. My thinking was that it will follow the track almost side by side. You have idle land by the Batteries, Springwell Road all the way out to Monksland. Perhaps there is some space in the old stations grounds for the rest.

Time will tell. Hope they don't take long. Cycling to town from Monksland can be a PITA on the regular roads. Free for all around the Grove etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭cena

Where can I recycle an old artificial tree? Does the recycle centre beside golden island take them?

Assume Boxers a shoe in for the upcoming election Westmeath side

Roscommon side, id imagine FF will get a seat. Alas Monksland being stuck in Roscommon-Galway, theres very few candidates from the area. Naughten i guess.

Really wish theyd merge the 2 sides of Athlone so that we can get governance focused on the surrounding area. Monksland, busy as it is still has vacant units in the Industrial areas. No reason for this not to be the case other than poor governance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

Boxer won’t get back in FF will target there( whoever runs) and leave Troy in mullingar for votes

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭White lighting

Assume Boxers a shoe in for the upcoming election Westmeath side

Roscommon side, id imagine FF will get a seat. Alas Monksland being stuck in Roscommon-Galway, theres very few candidates from the area. Naughten i guess.

Really wish theyd merge the 2 sides of Athlone so that we can get governance focused on the surrounding area. Monksland, busy as it is still has vacant units in the Industrial areas. No reason for this not to be the case other than poor governance

Brian Carroll rumoured that he might be going for FG in Roscommon and should get a decent vote due to his work with gaa in the county. Nothing official just rumours at the moment since Hopkins ruled herself out. I would imagine Naughten would get the votes this side the county but i dont think be as easy as he has got it in recent elections

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

I says wrote: »
    Boxer won’t get back in FF will target there( whoever runs) and leave Troy in mullingar for votes

Recent article in the Athlone Advertiser saying Keena and O'Rourke unhappy that the Party has not asked anyone from Athlone to stand in the GE, suggests that Boxer is expected to hoover up the Athlone vote and FF will look elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,639 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

I says wrote:

Boxer, Troy and Burke will get back in I'd imagine. 4th seat will likely be a Longford candidate as they've no TD at present

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Boxer, Troy and Burke will get back in I'd imagine. 4th seat will likely be a Longford candidate as they've no TD at present

4th seat is Willie Penrose (Labour) today, who has announced he will not stand.

Brian Carroll rumoured that he might be going for FG in Roscommon and should get a decent vote due to his work with gaa in the county. Nothing official just rumours at the moment since Hopkins ruled herself out. I would imagine Naughten would get the votes this side the county but i dont think be as easy as he has got it in recent elections

Aisling Dolan running for them

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/fine-gael-s-maura-hopkins-withdraws-as-candidate-in-roscommon-galway-1.4133329

Not a fear she'd get a seat around Monksland due to her being very much from the Galway end. Plus FG have been woeful in recent years

Looking at the overall lineup, only Naughten has done squat for Monksland in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Recent article in the Athlone Advertiser saying Keena and O'Rourke unhappy that the Party has not asked anyone from Athlone to stand in the GE, suggests that Boxer is expected to hoover up the Athlone vote and FF will look elsewhere.

Funnily enough I was told that FF sounded out people about running but none wanted to go for it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,823 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Roscommon will be Naughton (though not as strong as last time) and Fitzmaurice for sure. 3rd seat is a bit of a toss up.
    Murphy (FF) snuck in just ahead of Hopkins (FG) thanks to a sacrificial second candidate for FF to get transfers across. He's been very quiet throughout.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Hhmmm. Food for thought there.

Hey, I have an idea! Why don't we move the administrative border a few km west to include the Monksland and Bealnamullia areas into Westmeath, thereby bringing the whole town under one council and making everything more efficient?!

Hhmmm. Food for thought there.

Hey, I have an idea! Why don't we move the administrative border a few km west to include the Monksland and Bealnamullia areas into Westmeath, thereby bringing the whole town under one council and making everything more efficient?!

If only...

The Roscommon forum here is a ghost-town too so if you want to discuss Monksland ye have to goto Westmeath.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,065 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Anyone know who or what is going into where O'Brien's Sandwich Bar used to be across from Dunnes in Irishtown ?.There is renovation work going on inside it at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,944 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

Anyone know who or what is going into where O'Brien's Sandwich Bar used to be across from Dunnes in Irishtown ?.There is renovation work going on inside it at present.

Shop and Deli is what I heard today. No more info than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

flazio wrote: »
    Roscommon will be Naughton (though not as strong as last time) and Fitzmaurice for sure. 3rd seat is a bit of a toss up.
    Murphy (FF) snuck in just ahead of Hopkins (FG) thanks to a sacrificial second candidate for FF to get transfers across. He's been very quiet throughout.

Fitz will top the poll definitly, tho I think his whole "Rural Ireland is a kip coz of the posh boys in Dublin" routine abit stale now. Hopefully the campaign will focus on specific issues like the homeless +trolleys in A+E as opposed to just overthrowing FG like the last time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

I’ll wait for election all those names mentioned will run yet

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭horseofstone

It's going to be a daybreak newsagent & deli.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭rn

Roscommon should be Fitz Maurice 1 I think and Dennis naughton should be 2. The damage he did himself by being in government in the environment portfolio. One department that's perceived to be most damaging from a rural roscommon point of view.

I think he'll actually get credit with electorate with how the National broadband has panned out, even if he poorly handled the ethics side of his involvement.

3rd seat will probably go to Murphy, but he's harmless. There's better candidates out there. Carroll would be excellent if he ran. But roscommon is a FF county, often returning 2 FF candidates in the past, so you'd think Murphy should still make it regardless.

On Westmeath side, boxer should walk in however is in danger because he's so Athlone based. Athlone is the accidental success that gets cold political shoulder from both roscommon and Westmeath. Troy will get in. Will Peter Burke get in? Penrose not running is a big blow to Labour. He was a cert.

IMHO two seats in Westmeath up for grabs, 1 in Roscommon

On a single entity for Athlone, yes there are efficienies and advantages. But also disadvantages and lack of trust of Athlone and Westmeath councils. Their management of West Athlone is very, very poor. You don't have to out to monksland to see empty units (of which there are not many anyone). The other big fear is that Athlone udc would stick their social housing out here, when they've loads of land in Athlone since the border moved on Westmeath side a number of years ago. And then there's the GAA thing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭TimHorton

It's going to be a daybreak newsagent & deli.

Taking on Dunnes Deli is not going to end well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

I think Naughton will top the poll again . He had over 4000 more votes than Fitzmaurice last time. If anything the Fine Gael vote will probably weaken in Roscommon. And not wanting to vote for another party he'll get votes there.
    If he doesn't get in on the first count I would expect him to get in on transfers whatever Fine Gael candidate is running.
    Fitzmaurice will get the East Galway votes but I think overall will drop slightly, So will Murphy who is losing out a few thousand voters in the North of the county close to Carrick on Shannon which would be a stronghold for him.
    I think it could be Orla Leyden taking that third seat as a result. Terry Leyden was a TD when last Roscommon was with east Galway and they're well positioned for the constituency.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,823 ✭✭✭✭flazio

The Fine Gael candidate in Roscommon- East Galway is Aisling Dolan. A Galway County Councilor who got into the council as an independent but subsequently joined FG to contest the general election.
    I wouldn't rule her out completely, especially on the East Galway side who would have been loyal to the Connaghtons in the past. As I mentioned before Hopkins very nearly got in but for the transfers Murphy got from the second FF candidate last time out. (looks like that's the tactic again) Speaking purely from a Ballinasloe point of view Naughton and Hopkins (as a Senator) stayed very busy with Ballinasloe issues while Fitzmaurice and Murphy were barely ever heard from. The big worry I have with Fitzmaurice isn't that he's a climate change denier more that he believes it isn't rural Irelands problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

rn wrote: »
    Roscommon should be Fitz Maurice 1 I think and Dennis naughton should be 2. The damage he did himself by being in government in the environment portfolio. One department that's perceived to be most damaging from a rural roscommon point of view.

I think he'll actually get credit with electorate with how the National broadband has panned out, even if he poorly handled the ethics side of his involvement.

3rd seat will probably go to Murphy, but he's harmless. There's better candidates out there. Carroll would be excellent if he ran. But roscommon is a FF county, often returning 2 FF candidates in the past, so you'd think Murphy should still make it regardless.

On Westmeath side, boxer should walk in however is in danger because he's so Athlone based. Athlone is the accidental success that gets cold political shoulder from both roscommon and Westmeath. Troy will get in. Will Peter Burke get in? Penrose not running is a big blow to Labour. He was a cert.

IMHO two seats in Westmeath up for grabs, 1 in Roscommon

On a single entity for Athlone, yes there are efficienies and advantages. But also disadvantages and lack of trust of Athlone and Westmeath councils. Their management of West Athlone is very, very poor. You don't have to out to monksland to see empty units (of which there are not many anyone). The other big fear is that Athlone udc would stick their social housing out here, when they've loads of land in Athlone since the border moved on Westmeath side a number of years ago. And then there's the GAA thing :)

Boxer will top the poll
    He has been very active in longford (Where there is no td)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

I think Naughton will top the poll again . He had over 4000 more votes than Fitzmaurice last time. If anything the Fine Gael vote will probably weaken in Roscommon. And not wanting to vote for another party he'll get votes there.
    If he doesn't get in on the first count I would expect him to get in on transfers whatever Fine Gael candidate is running.
    Fitzmaurice will get the East Galway votes but I think overall will drop slightly, So will Murphy who is losing out a few thousand voters in the North of the county close to Carrick on Shannon which would be a stronghold for him.
    I think it could be Orla Leyden taking that third seat as a result. Terry Leyden was a TD when last Roscommon was with east Galway and they're well positioned for the constituency.

Leyden hasn't a hope

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

Apparently Murphy wasnt told she was running!
    One thing is for sure is that there is a hape of anger for FG +the Greens. Today was all bout the homeless people but around here anything that slightly threatens "Rural Ireland" will be descimated. Seriously, the amount of stuff Iv heard over Christmas Im suprised there isnt a coup outside the Dail!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭rn

FG have managed the economy incredibly well, they've represented Ireland internationally extremely well, but will be hit due to housing and hospitals.

Westmeath Longford will possibly return their FG deputy.

That 3rd seat in Roscommon East Galway is difficult to call. Murphy carries a higher profile, which gives him an advantage. The FG candidate has 0 profile in Roscommon, so hasn't a hope I'd feel. Hopkins was starting to be well known. Layden I feel would have an excellent chance, given her family name. But I will have to hear her being interviewed or meet her on the door in monksland!

Green party candidate hasn't a hope in Roscommon as what's good for the environment, isn't for Roscommon!

Advertisement