Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RIP Avicii (Mod warning in op)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,571 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

That's very sad. I'd only be familiar with one or 2 of his tunes but at 28 he was practically just a baby. No age to go at. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

I also see David Carey has passed away. He was a psychologist who did a parenting slot on Moncrieff.
    Loved listening to that guy. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Coffee Fulled Runner

So sad, incredible talent. I'm shocked by this news. 28 is too young. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Jez I was flat out playing all his good songs today while driving around west cork with the windows down. He is some loss to music! RIP!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Duff

Genuinely shocked and saddened by this. Not the biggest edm fan but he had some catchy tunes, and seemed like a sound man in general. RIP.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Duff wrote: »
    Genuinely shocked and saddened by this. Not the biggest edm fan but he had some catchy tunes, and seemed like a sound man in general. RIP.
    +1. Even an oul lad like me knew who he was. Sad to hear. Seemed like a nice talented guy.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod-All the off topic posts and replies to them removed. If I missed any let me know by reporting the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭BowSideChamp

He took a pill in Ibiza Oman.

Mod-Banned

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

What kick do people get out of pretending they don't know who he is? You blatantly know at least one of his songs.

RIP to the young man. Far too young. I liked his tunes myself.

I don't get them either, really quite sad/pathetic that they waste their own time posting here

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

He took a pill in Ibiza Oman.

More deflamatory speculation, great. Completely wrong artist too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,635 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

My 14 year old Niece heard it tonight and she was like "What the ****"??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

As a previous post said Levels was surely one of the most defining songs of the decade, it was a phenomenon when it was released

Really liked his music, always put me in a good mood.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

I knew the name Avicii but didn't know what he'd done so I just youtubed him there. Of course straightaway I recognised loads of the songs from having the radio on at work. Not my cup of tea but was obviously popular so fair play to him. Just a young fella.

I'm more shocked to hear about David Carey as mentioned earlier. I don't have kids but always enjoyed his parenting slot on Moncrieff. Just seen his picture on the independant.ie website. Would never have put it with his voice. He sounded a lot older than he looked !

RIP to both.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭dmc17

If you have a good sound system (and no neighbours), turn this one up

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

martyos121 wrote: »
    He wasn’t involved with that tune, if it’s the one I assume you’re referring to. His name was just quoted in it.
    that tune was by Mike Posner:
    “It was sort of a mystery pill. I was already under the influence of alcohol at the time. I had written a song with Avicii that week in Sweden called ‘Stay With You’ and he was playing in Ibiza so I said, ‘I will just go there with you,’ because I was already in Europe. I don’t have like a regular 9-5 job… so might as well go to Ibiza, right? I had never been there before. So I went.”
    “I would go back and forth between the backstage and the VIP area and then where the actual kids were. And most people didn’t know who the **** I was in Ibiza except for this one guy who recognised me. He was like, ‘Are you Mike Posner?’ and he was all excited. He holds up this little bag of pills and is like, ‘You want one?’ And drunk Mike Posner was like, ‘**** it, yeah.’ So I took one and I had never done that before, and I felt amazing. Then when I came down I felt ten years older…”

as you do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

dmc17 wrote: »

I remember in summer 2011 when it was released. And it was HUGE. It's hard to quantify, but nothing released nowadays would come close. It put him on the map so to speak

Clubs would literally play it 3 or 4 times a night, and each time the crowd would absolutely lap it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,021 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

dmc17 wrote: »

Was in Ayia Napa in 2011 when this was released and it was played literally everywhere. Came home and it was played everywhere. Good memories to this song. Only one of his tunes I actually liked.

RIP young man. Not too much younger than myself which is scary.

Not a big fan of Avicii but I'm a fan of EDM.
    Dude is the same age as me and he's dead. Very strange feeling

• Registered Users Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭jeffk

RIP, very sad for such a young person to pass away and then the musical talent he had will be a big loss.

Some of the replies dont surprise me, usual snobbery towards dance music :mad:

Only watched the film/doc made about him and it makes it so much more sad

I now changed my music for the car for the weekend to some of his best songs and remixes and as others have said it will be up high and window down with a smile on my face!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

Poor kid, another awesome talent lost

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Gone far far too soon, I liked most of his songs. This one is an absolute stonker.

God I feel old and out of touch, never heard of this lad but always terrible to hear of someone so young pass. Age 28 has taken many a great artist.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

This guy's music has meant more to me over the years than almost any other artist. This is heartbreaking. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

That's awful. Feel as sad as when Heath Ledger and Stephen Gately died. So much life ahead of him, like them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

If it's what I suspect it is, then it's pretty sad that someone with millions in the bank wasn't able to think about taking serious time out for rest and to review their situation, that said the human mind being what it is can be distorted by depression to the extent that no amount of money or acclaim can pull it back from 'the brink' or what feels like 'the brink' to some people, never heard of him until today but a shame, RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

dd972 wrote: »
    If it's what I suspect it is, then it's pretty sad that someone with millions in the bank wasn't able to think about taking serious time out for rest and to review their situation, that said the human mind being what it is can be distorted by depression to the extent that no amount of money or acclaim can pull it back from 'the brink' or what feels like 'the brink' to some people, never heard of him until today but a shame, RIP.

I doubt this was a suicide if that's what you're thinking, he had some serious health scares over the last few years due to extreme alcoholism and it sounds to me like either (a) he relapsed into binge drinking despite needing to let his body recover, or (b) he damaged his body so much in the past that even after ostensibly giving up on the sesh altogether last year, it was already too late and his organs were unable to sufficiently recover.

In that context, the millions in the bank may have actually contributed somewhat. I mean, many people with serious, imminently health-damaging substance abuse issues are limited only by inability to fund their ongoing binges. If someone has developed an alcohol dependency a la say Shane MacGowan, being as incredibly wealthy as Avicii probably means that you just keep buying booze and drugs, without anything to actually stop you doing more.

Speculation obviously, but that's been my theory all evening anyway. He had acute pancreatitis at some stage last year which is why he gave up the live performance scene, and it was reported at the time that this was directly related to extensive drug and alcohol use over a long period of time. Seems more likely to have been related to this than anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

This remix of a cover of ones of his songs is lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

I doubt this was a suicide if that's what you're thinking, he had some serious health scares over the last few years due to extreme alcoholism and it sounds to me like either (a) he relapsed into binge drinking despite needing to let his body recover, or (b) he damaged his body so much in the past that even after ostensibly giving up on the sesh altogether last year, it was already too late and his organs were unable to sufficiently recover.

In that context, the millions in the bank may have actually contributed somewhat. I mean, many people with serious, imminently health-damaging substance abuse issues are limited only by inability to fund their ongoing binges. If someone has developed an alcohol dependency a la say Shane MacGowan, being as incredibly wealthy as Avicii probably means that you just keep buying booze and drugs, without anything to actually stop you doing more.

Speculation obviously, but that's been my theory all evening anyway. He had acute pancreatitis at some stage last year which is why he gave up the live performance scene, and it was reported at the time that this was directly related to extensive drug and alcohol use over a long period of time. Seems more likely to have been related to this than anything else.

Even amongst hardcore alcoholics, it's still pretty uncommon to die from it at 28. If other recent celebrity deaths are anything to go by, I'd say pills were involved. Such a waste

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭dasdog

jeffk wrote: »
    RIP, very sad for such a young person to pass away and then the musical talent he had will be a big loss.

Some of the replies dont surprise me, usual snobbery towards dance music :mad:

It's commercial warm the sports crowd up, heavy software compression time to enjoy yourself it's almost forced upon with simple predictability music. Millions love it, millions don't. A talented fella obviously and a stupidly young age to stop living. $28 million for one years work through advertising and such.

Advertisement