Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Virgin Media Broadband - Price Increase - Break Contract

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,587 ✭✭✭baldbear

shardylan wrote: »
    I’m on limitless 240mb

I said I would cancel the last time . And they never rang me back :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

If i go with vodafone which i intend to do in 12 months if i decide to go back to virgin.am i Considered a new customer?ie will i be able to get new customer offers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,624 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Someone I know worked for VM call centre (not for long as she couldn't put up with all the complaining!) and she said they read the comments on this site all the time.
    So when people say they will cancel and then cancel the cancellation, VM still have the same number of customers so there's no need for them to increase the offers.
    It's only when people do actually leave in numbers, will they start to improve their retain offers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Called up to see would they increase my speed for free. It was a no go. Currently on 240mb at 29.50 for 9 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 769 ✭✭✭breeno

Slightly off-topic but I ordered Eir earlier this year and told them I used to have a phone line and it was torn out during a renovation. They said no problem, we'll install a new one. KN engineer came out and couldn't locate the original cable so said he couldn't do anything and Eir would have to send a team out to dig up the road etc to feed a new line in but when I rang Eir they said they wouldn't so I had to cancel the order.

How do I go about getting a new line into an existing house? I spoke to Eir sales and got a young guy who just kept saying 'yea no bother, we'll install the new line wtihin 3 days' but he wasn't listening to or appreciating the actual details - would have thought opening the road etc wouldn't be turned aroudnd that quickly.

Appreciate any help as I hate being tied to Virgin as my only option and would love to break my contract and move to Eir for Apple TV. Thanks guys,sorry for the essay :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Called up to see would they increase my speed for free. It was a no go. Currently on 240mb at 29.50 for 9 months.

That's a great price you're on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,009 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Hey Folks,

I have multiple camera's around the house with the likes of a single Nest camera taking around 300 Gbps per month so have stuck with Virgin seeing as there's no actual cap on my plan. Add in Netflix, web players and so on and I'd be well over most caps. I can get SIRO in my area but looking at the likes of Digiweb it's capped, Vodafone doesn't seem to have the best rep, no do Eir. Is there anything better or is it a case of just sticking with VM, perhaps trying to haggle a deal out of them on the basis that I'd be leaving.

Actually I just checked my consumption over the last few months and it's well under the 1TB cap. What's Digiweb and their Fritz modem like does anyone know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 626 ✭✭✭shardylan

baldbear wrote: »
    I said I would cancel the last time . And they never rang me back :(

If they don’t I’d ring them the day before and see what they offer .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 212 ✭✭iwantthat

I rang them for cancellation and so she gave me some discount which would make my yearly contract at 915 euros. I told her i can sign up with vodafone and get all the same for only 510 euro per year. She came back and offerred a new deal totallying 512 euro per year. I signed up for another year again... happy days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Irish Kev

deep1 wrote: »
    Doesn’t sky have 200€ once off fee?

I was not aware of this. Will check it out

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭steves2

Siro 1000Mbps is available in our location through Vodafone so I'm switching to that from Virgin, will save something like 200 a year. We've had problems in the last few months with Virgin broadband, the speeds are not what they were when we first got it without nothing much changing in our house.

Ush1 wrote: »
    That's a great price you're on.

I am delighted with the price! It includes unlimited calls to landlines and mobiles too. Was just chanceing my arm with the speed :). I've been with them since around 09 and really can't fault them as a provider.

Can anyone answer this please?

If i go with vodafone which i intend to do in 12 months if i decide to go back to virgin.am i Considered a new customer?ie will i be able to get new customer offers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

What new customer offers ? They are ****e anyways..

What new customer offers ? They are ****e anyways..

That's all very good but it doesn't answer my question : )
    There could be new offers in 12 months.

• Advertisement

That's all very good but it doesn't answer my question : ) There could be new offers in 12 months.

Yes u can...infact many get new account using spouse's name if they want to straight away..

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Can anyone answer this please?

Yes you would

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭donnyvegas

Just got onto Virgin via Whatsapp. Told them I wasn't happy about the price increase and asked how to cancel. They just responded.

"Thanks for that, one of our team with be in touch within 48 hours to talk through the next steps. If for any reason we are unable to contact you please be aware that your account will close in 30 days."

Seems my 30 days notice to them was done through Whatsapp.

Moving to Sky :)

I don't need 500mb a second, most people don't. Most people cannot even access it due to limitation of WiFi.

If I get 70-80 megabyte with Sky, I'd be happy.

Sky TV is the gold standard. Virgin TV is pretty unusable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭jeffk

Rang this morning and much different experience to last year, shocking attitude!
    • Started about investing in network (haven't seen speed increase in at least a year)
    • On about broadband like water and electricity and that TV is dying and people only come to Virgin for one thing
    • How great virgin are for not capping the download limit, I had a quick look and Sky and Eir are 1TB or so, want to be do some downloading to break that

Got offered E33 for six months then E72 or so for six months, couldn't explain in simple English why a E64 bill with E3.50 increase will then be E72

I think come next year ill be ringing to decrease speeds from Virgin as thanks to older estates it's them or back to ages for downloading

Rang again and said about the attitude I got and not happy

Now after deal my bill goes up the 3.50 listed not over the 5 that wasn't told why

Asked about downgrading speed and only save 5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭billbond4

anyone getting 9 months half price on BB only?

• Advertisement

billbond4 wrote: »

Yeah I got 9 months half price 240mb broadband and phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 626 ✭✭✭shardylan

billbond4 wrote: »

I did about 3 weeks ago (4th year in row ) Also got a letter yesterday for price hike but when questioned was told they are from a few weeks ago and once my agreement was made before this letter I wasn’t going to get price bump

going with vodafone fiber....does anyone know if their router supports both 2.4 and 5 ghz simultaneously ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,527 ✭✭✭irishgeo

going with vodafone fiber....does anyone know if their router supports both 2.4 and 5 ghz simultaneously ?
    #
    most modern routers do, far better to split the networks anyway as you get way better speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 4545lkjo454

Just off the phone with Virgin Media.

Paying 46.99 and and increase coming in January, so 50.49 - for 30 Mb/s.

Offered me 10euro off for 9 months. Very bad offer

So bad, I can get GoMo 4g(9.99pm + free calls/texts) and another service like Magnet24(25pm first yr) or Eir 100Mb/s(38pm first yr).

I spend more than 10pm on the phone anyway, so it's practically free internet.

So, I'll go with GoMo and see if I can manage the 80GB pm and if I can't I can always get another service and still be cheaper than Virgin.

Virgin: €563.88 + €42 increase = €605.88 -€90 discount = €459.84
    GoMo: €119.88 + Magnet24(€300) = €419.88

That's how bad Virgin Media are now.

__

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭pat1981

Spoke to customer loyalty, some call centre god knows where.

Offered me 15 off nine months and 69 thereafter oh and the price would go up january 1st by 3.50. Very strange offer, anyway he wouldn't budge so I cancelled.
    Siro is in my area so rang vodafone and ordered their igb package

Up and running with vodafone...not even a blip.....getting 98 mbps...should have got last year instead of 6 months greed...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭deep1

Up and running with vodafone...not even a blip.....getting 98 mbps...should have got last year instead of 6 months greed...

Is that Siro or 100 mb ?

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭steves2

pat1981 wrote: »
    Spoke to customer loyalty, some call centre god knows where.

Offered me 15 off nine months and 69 thereafter oh and the price would go up january 1st by 3.50. Very strange offer, anyway he wouldn't budge so I cancelled.
    Siro is in my area so rang vodafone and ordered their igb package

Yeh that's what I'm doing, have siro 1 Gb so Vodafone is the best offer. Virgin aren't worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭CGI_3

Why does no utility service in this country reward loyalty, instead of spending loads on marketing to get new customers in, and seemingly nothing on retaining existing ones?

I was with VM too, and got sick of going through that price increase negotiation NONSENSE every 9 to 12 months.

Then SIRO came along, so I left VM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

Doesn't Siro on Voda have a 1TB a month cap though?

• Administrators Posts: 54,087 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I got the email, my 30 day rolling contract BB only is going up 3.50 a month

Doesn't Siro on Voda have a 1TB a month cap though?

Fair usage policy, yes but it’s throttled thereafter and speeds according to the salesman are reduced to about 150.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭deep1

Cancelled mine too, didn't even want to hear their offer, they started with to remove increased price for me , saving of 3.50 per month :)

Had good few years with 6/9 months half price.

Going to Vodafone Siro.

deep1 wrote: »
    Is that Siro or 100 mb ?

100 mb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

i wonder where does misleading part come from ? as many are out of contract or changing etc, even asked here on boards rep and he said wont be affected by the 3.50 increase.

as email states : The information in this communication is correct as of August 27th 2019 so if you have made any changes to your account since this date, this may no longer be relevant for you.

so effectively i would think that anyone who gets new deal or half price etc, would fall under making changes thus not getting affected.

Am i reading this wrong or does VM have some foothold to impose it anyway ?

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭tart29016

hi there, I have the 360 mb virgin broadband. But thinking about changing to the vodafone broadband. The only thing is the Vodafone broadband available in my area is only 40mb. Would I see a big change in terms of the speed?

Anyone has any experience with the 40mb vodafone broadband? Is it worthwell?

tart29016 wrote: »
    hi there, I have the 360 mb virgin broadband. But thinking about changing to the vodafone broadband. The only thing is the Vodafone broadband available in my area is only 40mb. Would I see a big change in terms of the speed?

Anyone has any experience with the 40mb vodafone broadband? Is it worthwell?

What is your current usage like ?

Anything above 10 mbps is sufficient for online streaming....but if you are heavy user with multiple devices then its a different thing.

I would assume 40 is more than sufficient to be honest !

Just for everyone's benefit

1) Ordered vodafone online. Got text confirming order and saying when router will be delivered.
    2) Router was delivered in couple of days.
    3) Got a call for engineer visit once the router was delivered. Did not need it TBH as i was up and running post installing it myself.
    4) Setup 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz separately

Impressed so far with the professionalism of vodafone and quick turnaround. I am having mobile connection with them as well so good to have a single sign-on for everything.

Hope they offer Siro soon in my area !

• Advertisement

40mb would be about 5-3mb download speed. while if using wired connection it would seem more then enough but if theres latency or some heavy usage it would trickle down to hardware- router nics, signal strength. as single torrent or heavy download/ stream could choke internet for rest of the users, where it becomes pain to even browse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

I am at the stage where I could not be bothered to take what ever offer they make. Am sick of the relentless price increases year on year. It's poor form by VM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

I am at the stage where I could not be bothered to take what ever offer they make. Am sick of the relentless price increases year on year. It's poor form by VM.

Siro says available at my address soon so I am going stick to current deal with VM as I am out of contract and then switch to siro sharpish when it is available. VM taking the piss with there year in year out price increases, same goes for Sky sick of them too and I am back 6 months and they already upping my price :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭peejy

The price rise suited me. Was leaving them in any case and would have cost me 280 to break contract

They offered me 15 off my broadband to keep me onboard

What is your current usage like ?

Anything above 10 mbps is sufficient for online streaming....but if you are heavy user with multiple devices then its a different thing.

I would assume 40 is more than sufficient to be honest !

Thanks. Not a heavy user by any means. But we do from time to time stream movies online.

scamalert wrote: »
    40mb would be about 5-3mb download speed. while if using wired connection it would seem more then enough but if theres latency or some heavy usage it would trickle down to hardware- router nics, signal strength. as single torrent or heavy download/ stream could choke internet for rest of the users, where it becomes pain to even browse.

Em, that sounds like a bit of an issue. We don't really have many options in the area so looks like we'll have to stick with VM. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

pat1981 wrote:
    Fair usage policy, yes but it’s throttled thereafter and speeds according to the salesman are reduced to about 150.

Be wary of what a salesman tells you. Read the small print in cae you're hit with unexpected charges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Siro says available at my address soon so I am going stick to current deal with VM as I am out of contract and then switch to siro sharpish when it is available:

Where can you see the Siro availability or likely roll out date for your address?

Similar to tart29016 below I was all set to cancel VM and move to Vodafone. Before canceling tried the Vodafone site for broadband coverage and it was only showing 24Mbps for an urban area of Dublin 15 so got onto their helpdesk to confirm the poor service. They advised they only saw 12Mbps available and had no information as to when Siro might be rolled out. Couldn't explain the poor speeds either.
    Can't switch given those pathetic speeds, would get better on mobile data. Will check with a few neighbours to see if anyone is not on VM and what sort of speeds they're getting before cancelling.
    tart29016 wrote: »
    Em, that sounds like a bit of an issue. We don't really have many options in the area so looks like we'll have to stick with VM. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭OU812

called to break the contract & they offered me half price & a speed bump to remain, suits me.

Interestingly, I found an NTL/Chorus big the other day from November 2009 (I really need to buy a shredder) & I was paying €76 a month for TV only, with no HD.

Fast forward 10 years & it's €85 a month for 100 channels including HD, phone & all calls & 360mb broadband

Where can you see the Siro availability or likely roll out date for your address?
    siro.ie you can sign up for newsletter on updates. but seems they are slow going works began in my estate last year around August, in December they sent out letter coming soon think it got active around april, almost year later, in total. Still works going around town as lots of old places footpaths being doug up to roll over fiber cables in place. Only reason didnt go with siro this year as its still fresh in area dont think anyone has it, in my estate and most sites are setup poorly no info whatsoever to get you as customer, as asked about installation process etc and basically until you pay and get engineer sent, its hard to know how far your from cabinet where they will wire in etc. Plus for siro one would really want to update all their network and wifi cards to full AC or whatever next gen is, as speeds on vodafone top out easily over 300mb over wifi.

other option for those stuck would seem sky not sure of their BB only pricing but if VM has cable think sky should be active in those areas as well, if not mistaken, but not sure of their service quality.

Be wary of what a salesman tells you. Read the small print in cae you're hit with unexpected charges.

Yes good point, I rang vodafone re my order and asked this question again and he confirmed there would be no extra charges if I used more than 1tb per month although the speeds would be throttled to about 150.

The call is recorded so I am happy enough with that explanation.

• Advertisement
Advertisement