Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Ireland committing genocide?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

Jesus OP, your threads are always good for a "what in the name of God is he on about now" thought, but this one is just nuts.

While you are about there OP, could you layout your ideal social, economic & political ideals so we can get exactly where you are coming from for this and the future threads.

Please do not break the second commandment.

VeryTerry wrote: »
    My family are from the north west. I was born and raised in Dublin. Praise Jayo! All off my cousins that were born up there now live in England and Australia. Nobody wants to stay there. Why the **** would they?

They wouldn`t because there is no investment in infrastructure to enable industry to locate there and to improve the quality of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

They wouldn`t because there is no investment in infrastructure to enable industry to locate there and to improve the quality of life.

Exactly! So why stay? There is nothing for them there. You’re arguing against yourself now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Genocide? No.

Bognic-cleansing? Perhaps. That might be a word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Replying to any of this OP's threads to address their pseudo issue should be a yellow card offence.

Agreeing with him should be a red card offence :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

bubblypop wrote: »
    As someone just home from 18 months investigating war crimes in a country that was victim to another countrys attempted genocide, I find this thread disgusting.

I'm in my phone so I can't post that pic of the bald star wars fellow, but you get the idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

I'm in my phone so I can't post that pic of the bald star wars fellow, but you get the idea.

Antman, that you? Don't go atomic level, even for world peace, it won't end well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Alun wrote: »
    Or reality for that matter.

Or a famine for that matter.

We had a potato blight, the rest of the food was stolen from us ~ now that's a genocide OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Facilitating ethnic clensing is perhaps what RK meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,062 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

What skilled workforce? Even you've left!

I left as a young man to travel for a while with the intention of moving back. Alas, plans changed, people were met and living in dublin is the halfway house for now...

There are quite a number of skilled and educated people living and working up there across the companies i mentioned earlier, as well as more across the border in derry and strabane - however brexit may change that. The opportunities are there now, and there is now a base for other companies to setup there and have a base of employees to hire from, or entice to move there. There are also a number of startups operating out of lyit.
    I know a few others who are leaving dublin and moving that way as its more affordable but also allows them to keep working in jobs that were obce only the preserve of cities. I'll join them once i convince the wife raising kids in an apt is not ideal!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,311 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

You don`t believe me because your brain is in the wrong place and your views are obviously entrenched.

Nope. I just don’t believe anyone who has survived an actual genocide would share your views. But I’m willing to “unentrench” my views and have you educate my incorrectly positioned brain. I have an idea based on your post after the one I’m quoting but fire away.

fxotoole wrote: »
    Exactly! So why stay? There is nothing for them there. You’re arguing against yourself now

No I am revealing the poison in the cup. The cup itself is perfect. Those counties need investment and Dublin should not be getting it all.

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Genocide? No.

Bognic-cleansing? Perhaps. That might be a word.

Maybe we should bognic Dublin and invest in the rest of the country instead.

Or a famine for that matter.

We had a potato blight, the rest of the food was stolen from us ~ now that's a genocide OP.

Of course it was but I had to avoid mentioning it. Some folks are easily sidetracked.

Facilitating ethnic clensing is perhaps what RK meant.

This term is a good compromise. All agreed? If so, how about lobbying the Irish government to stop this ethnic cleansing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

No I am revealing the poison in the cup. The cup itself is perfect. Those counties need investment and Dublin should not be getting it all.

The harsh reality is that most companies don't want to locate themselves in Donegal or the North West in general. It adds unnecessary hassle and expense to them. Their board/senior executives/managers want to be able to fly from whatever international location they are in, to an airport that is close to the centre of a city. They have no interest in hopping on another flight to some backarse village or small town where they are isolated from city life.

If people of the North West are worried about "genocide" (LOL!!!) then they should stay there and breed like rabbits in order to keep the population increasing rather than moving to the big schmoke (deliberate spelling as I know you are sensitive to typos), they should stay where they are. No one is forcing them to move and the state gives generous social welfare benefits. Part of the issue is that many of the locals want out of the area too because the like the bright lights of the city and everything that goes with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

Back in 2013 the government wanted to build the high voltage power line from Roscommon to Mayo to stimulate business and industry.

Of course the locals protested, delayed the project by years, and now it's a much smaller scale development that still hasn't been built.

And people in the west complain they can't attract industry...

The harsh reality is that most companies don't want to locate themselves in Donegal. It adds unnecessary hassle and expense to them. Their board/senior executives/managers want to be able to fly from whatever international location they are in, to an airport that is close to the centre of a city. They have no interest in hopping on another flight to some backarse where they are isolated from city life.

This brings us back to investment. Investment for example in the required airport, motorways, broadband, serviced industrial sites and other infrastructure and incentives for industry to move to these areas. Then new hotels will be needed for board members/senior executives/managers etc. Either that or old hotels that are used for direct provision could return to their original function when their lease to the government expires. New hotels are more likely I grant you as the direct provision places are probably long term arrangements.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

This brings us back to investment. Investment for example in the required airport, motorways, broadband, serviced industrial sites and other infrastructure and incentives for industry to move to these areas. Then new hotels will be needed for board members/senior executives/managers etc. Either that or old hotels that are used for direct provision could return to their original function when their lease to the government expires.

If there was interest from companies in locating there then the facilities would be provided. However, companies don't want to locate there. It's quite simple really. The demand is not there to justify the expense. Companies in general want to be close to big cities and international airports. Facilities such as hotels and the likes normally follow companies, not precede them.

Why would you open a business in Donegal?

What does Donegal have that Dublin, or Cork or Galway doesn't?

Theyre having to raffle away houses
    https://m.facebook.com/356581234676034/posts/776786545988832/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

This term is a good compromise. All agreed? If so, how about lobbying the Irish government to stop this ethnic cleansing.

Nope, still incredibly insulting to those who have been subject to ethnic cleansing. It's more that you have a pretty racist agenda akin to those who actually favour ethnic cleansing. You thanked that massive racist a few pages back who started going on about mixed race children, right?

A few years ago on the radio, I heard someone explain part of the reason why industry is centered more around Dublin, and not in the West.

A prospective tech company (for example) is looking for a suitable premises in Ireland, contacts the department for trade and enterprises who refers them to commercial estate agents in Dublin.

The tech company sends a couple of representatives to Dublin where they are me by the guys from the estate agents who brings them to a site not far off the M50 where there are several large units ready for action.

They have a look around, grab lunch and are back up at the airport for an afternoon flight home. No fuss, job done.

Back in 2013 the government wanted to build the high voltage power line from Roscommon to Mayo to stimulate business and industry.

Of course the locals protested, delayed the project by years, and now it's a much smaller scale development that still hasn't been built.

And people in the west complain they can't attract industry...

Same thing happened with the Apple data centre that they trying to build in Athenry.

fxotoole wrote: »
    Same thing happened with the Apple data centre that they trying to build in Athenry.

It happens all around the country, people object to infrastructure and industry, then bitch when they can't get a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,311 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

To be fair to Athenry the main objector to Apple lived on the other side of the country. Think he was hoping to set it up on his own land.

Complete manipulation of the process.

Fair enough. The point is that maybe if the people of Western Ireland stopped objecting to things that might improve their infrastructure, they might actually get some development and stimulus of their local economy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Marengo

Rural Ireland is neglected, planning wise, as schools, post offices etc closing but genocide is a highly inappropriate term to use.

batgoat wrote: »
    Nope, still incredibly insulting to those who have been subject to ethnic cleansing. It's more that you have a pretty racist agenda akin to those who actually favour ethnic cleansing. You thanked that massive racist a few pages back who started going on about mixed race children, right?

The OP has a concerted agenda, for us to participate in his warped game and extend the lifespan of this redundant thread interminably. The cretinous premise that rural malaise is akin to genocide was all he needed to fan the flames of derision.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

There are no rail services, motorways, broadband or gas pipelines providing subsidized gas to industry in Roscommon or Donegal.
    The M6 motorway is in Co Roscommon.
    Athlone railways station is 2.8 kms from Co Roscommon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

This brings us back to investment. Investment for example in the required airport, motorways, broadband, serviced industrial sites and other infrastructure and incentives for industry to move to these areas. Then new hotels will be needed for board members/senior executives/managers etc. Either that or old hotels that are used for direct provision could return to their original function when their lease to the government expires. New hotels are more likely I grant you as the direct provision places are probably long term arrangements.

Abbot in Donegal are currently expanding, with investment.

Coca Cola's plant located in Ballina is one of their biggest in Europe I believe.

Sligo has seen probably the biggest investment and job announcements in years.

Broadband in the West of Ireland is critical for international business, but more of a problem currently for residential customers than business customers, our company's systems servers are in Germany, and broadband drop out hasn't affected us once in the last 4 years.

Knock airport is well placed for flights to the West, and investment is being planned and implemented there too.

The M17/M18 from Tuam to Limerick bypasses two main bottlenecks of Claregalway and Clarinbridge, which takes close to an hour of the journey from Sligo to Limerick, and is connected to the M6 and M7 motorways to Dublin.

The N4 (Sligo to Dublin) is seeing investment and upgrade from Sligo to Castlebaldwin, the most dangerous stretch of that road.

North Donegal is primarily serviced by Derry airport, admittedly, Brexit may have an impact here, but remains to be seen.

Advertisement