Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Ireland committing genocide?

Options
  • 18-01-2019 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭

Once upon a time, Ireland was densely populated. Then we had the famine and the population in rural Ireland has been declining ever sinse. The reason for this decline is lack of investment. There are no rail services, motorways, broadband or gas pipelines providing subsidized gas to industry in Roscommon or Donegal. The electricty grid is inadequate for large scale industrialization, so is the institutional support necessary to cater for new industry. Because there is no investment in infrastructure in the north west, there is no infrasturcture in the north west. There is no adequate national planning and zoning for rural areas. This inadequacy seems to be a deliberate policy to provide corrupt officials with opportunities in exploitation.

Consequently there is nothing in the north west to recommend it to IDA backed companies for example. So the north west does not get promoted and it does not get big companies setting up, bringing thousands of jobs in direct employment and thousands more providing spin off support services to multinationals and their workforces. These worforces could be made up of thousands upon thousands of Donegal and Roscommon returning emigrants and their new familes.

Instead, Donegal and Roscommon get nothing but the sadness of seeing the last of their loved ones leave and the last village shop close its doors. This is genocide and replacing Donegal and Roscommon people with economic migrants from places other than Donegal and Roscommon in former hotels does not alter this fact.

Am I not correct?

I wonder if there is a Brics version of amnesty international to report this genocide to.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Donegal and Roscommon get nothing but the sadness of seeing the last of their loved ones leave and the last village shop close its doors. This is genocide

Love your username!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,493 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I'm not sure you understand what genocide is.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Dial Hard wrote: »
    I'm not sure you understand what genocide is.
    Or reality for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,125 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

You need to look up the meaning of the word 'genocide'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

Boyle (Roscommon) has a rail service. Just checked,so does Roscommon town and Castlerea!

Don't tell the Donegalians..Shh!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I though the thread was bizarre until I saw OP. It all fits into place now.

The answer is No and please learn the old art of using a dictionary to ensure you know the meaning of words before using them. Genocide....lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Genocide is a term used to describe violence against members of a national, ethnic, racial or religious group with the intent to destroy the entire group.

No

Judging by your post though we are failing our children in education

• Registered Users Posts: 23,314 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Has anyone ever met a Leitrimean?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

I though the thread was bizarre ... and please learn the old art of using a dictionary ....lol.

You can keep the dictionary, you obviously need it.

Judging by your post though we are failing our children in education

Judging by your reply, I would have to agree. Violence comes in many guises.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,911 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

This is genocide...

No it's not.

genocide

/ˈdʒɛnəsʌɪd/

noun

the deliberate killing of a large group of people, especially those of a particular nation or ethnic group.

"a campaign of genocide"

synonyms:racial killing, massacre, wholesale slaughter, mass slaughter, wholesale killing, indiscriminate killing; 

mass murder, mass homicide, mass destruction,annihilation, extermination,elimination, liquidation, eradication,decimation, butchery, bloodbath,bloodletting; 

pogrom, ethnic cleansing, holocaust, Shoah;

literaryslaying; 

rarebattue,hecatomb

"the killing of Native Americans was the biggest genocide in world history"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

A typo and complete lack of understanding of a words definition are in no way shape or form comparable.

Read up on the likes of Cambodia to educate yourself on actual acts of genocide.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Frostybrew

Once upon a time, Ireland was densely populated. Then we had the famine and the population in rural Ireland has been declining ever sinse. The reason for this decline is lack of investment. There are no rail services, motorways, broadband or gas pipelines providing subsidized gas to industry in Roscommon or Donegal. The electricty grid is inadequate for large scale industrialization, so is the institutional support necessary to cater for new industry. Because there is no investment in infrastructure in the north west, there is no infrasturcture in the north west. There is no adequate national planning and zoning for rural areas. This inadequacy seems to be a deliberate policy to provide corrupt officials with opportunities in exploitation.

Consequently there is nothing in the north west to recommend it to IDA backed companies for example. So the north west does not get promoted and it does not get big companies setting up, bringing thousands of jobs in direct employment and thousands more providing spin off support servives to multinationals and their workforces. These worforces could be made up of thousands upon thousands of Donegal and Roscommon returning emigrants and their new familes.

Instead, Donegal and Roscommon get nothing but the sadness of seeing the last of their loved ones leave and the last village shop close its doors. This is genocide and replacing Donegal and Roscommon people with economic migrants from places other than Donegal and Roscommon in former hotels does not alter this fact.

Am I not correct?

I wonder if there is a Brics version of amnesty international to report this genocide to.

Are you the person who injected semen into their arm to cure backpain?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

genocide would be active destruction effort of a group of people, usually also implies mass murder and extermination , so no

Some form of nelglect for rural culture, sure, but thats happening everywhere on planet earth, its just the way the world is going

This is genocide...

No it's not.

genocide

/ˈdʒɛnəsʌɪd/

noun

the deliberate killing of a large group of people, especially those of a particular nation or ethnic group.

"a campaign of genocide"

synonyms:racial killing, massacre, wholesale slaughter, mass slaughter, wholesale killing, indiscriminate killing; 

mass murder, mass homicide, mass destruction,annihilation, extermination,elimination, liquidation, eradication,decimation, butchery, bloodbath,bloodletting; 

pogrom, ethnic cleansing, holocaust, Shoah;

literaryslaying; 

rarebattue,hecatomb

"the killing of Native Americans was the biggest genocide in world history"

Where were you when the so called "survivors" of institutional care were pretending to be victims of genocide? To claim that a policy of deliberate depopulation with all the sorrow, suffering and yes death, that entails is anything other than a blatant act of genocide is disingenuous to put it mildly.

Mine was a typo. Yours was not :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Population of Roscommon increased at the last census count.

I wonder though if perhaps the growth in population is fueled by the wrong “type” of person.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

Consequently there is nothing in the north west to recommend it to IDA backed companies for example. So the north west does not get promoted and it does not get big companies setting up, bringing thousands of jobs in direct employment and thousands more providing spin off support services to multinationals and their workforces. These worforces could be made up of thousands upon thousands of Donegal and Roscommon returning emigrants and their new familes.

Am I not correct?

Wha dafuq did I just read.

Right thats enough stupid for the day...

Wanna support genocide?Cheer on the murder of women and children?The Ruzzians aren't rapey enough for you? Morally bankrupt cockroaches and islamaphobes , Israel needs your help NOW!!

http://tinyurl.com/2ksb4ejk

https://www.btselem.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,911 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Wha dafuq did I just read.

Right thats enough stupid for the day...

Yeah I'm out. Pity stupidicide is illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,454 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Where were you when the so called "survivors" of institutional care were pretending to be victims of genocide? To claim that a policy of deliberate depopulation with all the sorrow, suffering and yes death, that entails is anything other than a blatant act of genocide is disingenuous to put it mildly.

Evidence for deliberate depopulation in Ireland? (Not that you would ever provide any)

What you describe is not genocide, The Nazis killing 6 million jews, that was genocide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I've had many ciders.but never geno cider.

Mine was a typo. Yours was not :pac:

This was your second attempted rebuttal of the same post :) There, there, you`ll be grand.

amcalester wrote: »

I wonder though if perhaps the growth in population is fueled by the wrong “type” of person.

Why do you wonder that? Are you a racist?

This was your second attempted rebuttal of the same post :) There, there, you`ll be grand.

If the only thing that fails while I’m multitasking is typing ability on my phone then I can live with it. However....”genocide”....LOL

Maybe it’s time for you to face reality and change your name to something more truthful. :) Keep it real!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

pjohnson wrote: »
    Has anyone ever met a Leitrimean?

Trick question

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Once upon a time, Ireland was densely populated. Then we had the famine and the population in rural Ireland has been declining ever sinse. ...

Fear not! our glorious leader and his party have proposed a new plan called Project Ireland 2040 whereby they plan to increase the population of the country by a million people by immigration etc in order to increase the tax base. More peasants - more money. Win!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,379 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

amcalester wrote: »

I hear your a racist now, Father

The Nazis killing 6 million jews, that was genocide.

I didn`t say it wasn`t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Not at all. I was wondering if you were racist.

You talk about the depopulation of areas like Roscommon as being genocide, but Roscommon's population is growing so I'm confused.

Or is it that you are not a racist, you're just wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,454 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

I didn`t say it wasn`t.

You're likening the emigration of a few young people from small towns to the deliberate murder of 6 million people by using the word genocide.

Advertisement