Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milk Replacer Price?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Mooooo wrote: »
    Given whole milk as a powder would be around 34% p and 40% f, getting them eating a decent crunch on powder would be fairly important too

personally I think a lot of ppl pay too much attention to the milk/replacer and not enough to the crunch

a lot of the so labelled 'super calf crunch' mixes are just glorified sh1te

• Registered Users Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Would you think there's a market for veal over here dawg?

I can’t say Kev.

Maybe if the meat was processed to infinity and called veal nuggets...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Mooooo wrote: »
    Given whole milk as a powder would be around 34% p and 40% f, getting them eating a decent crunch on powder would be fairly important too

My calf rearing guru rears around 4K calves a year and doesn’t put any credence on calf pencils/crunch.
    He finds soya and maize to be the job.
    Have this in front of them from the start.

Interestingly, the best way to start them on the maize is to have whole grain maize (at about 18-20% moisture) available in the mix. You’ll hear them crunching away at the whole grains from day 7.
    From day 21 gently cracked maize grains, mixed with soya, ad lib.

Soya and osr mix is not very palatable, so soya on it own is preferable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭alps

French Milk Replacers taking a €150/ tonne hike this week....keep an eye on prices and commit before they rise...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

alps wrote: »
    French Milk Replacers taking a €150/ tonne hike this week....keep an eye on prices and commit before they rise...
    Ordering tomorrow, nothing due until 20th April.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,094 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

orm0nd wrote: »
    personally I think a lot of ppl pay too much attention to the milk/replacer and not enough to the crunch

a lot of the so labelled 'super calf crunch' mixes are just glorified sh1te

Bags of molasses ,I’m using actus first fiber and suckler mate pencils ,no bother getting calves onto them

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Snowfire

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Bags of molasses ,I’m using actus first fiber and suckler mate pencils ,no bother getting calves onto them

Are the first fiber expensive,?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

What’s best price anyone has on heiferlac? €47 is all I heard so far

Snowfire wrote: »
    Are the first fiber expensive,?

In and around 17 euro for 20 kg bale I think ,bought a pallet so will work out bit cheaper

simx wrote: »
    What’s best price anyone has on heiferlac? €47 is all I heard so far

The best I've seen so far is €43.80 for a pallet delivered. I don't know the payment terms and this was a private deal, not a group one.

That was beginning of Jan..

• Advertisement

Ordering tomorrow, nothing due until 20th April.

You calving from 20th of April?

Interesting looking product, have you used it previously? What age do you make it available to them.? How soon are you going on CMR? Shine OAD?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

I used wynne calf starter last 2 years they did ok on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

You calving from 20th of April?

Crap, that should have read payment due on 20th April, calving starting in a few days with a few arrived already.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Muddy76

In and around 17 euro for 20 kg bale I think ,bought a pallet so will work out bit cheaper

Is that stuff the same as the calfage that comes in the 20kg bales

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Interesting looking product, have you used it previously? What age do you make it available to them.? How soon are you going on CMR? Shine OAD?

Kehoe farming in wexford started doing it here first.. Would be better imo. Tslking to a guy in kerry last year who was using kehoes and switched to actus because of the (lucerne i think?) In it. He switched back fairly quick!
    40 odd calves here so far and they're picking away at meal and straw no bother, heifers onto shine TAD. Happy with it so far. No navals being sucked which has been an issue here the last few years

Used 5 bales of it last year in March ,was feeding calfage and calves loved it but first fiber was different gravy ,once calves got a taste for it which didn’t take long they were ravenous for it .left it to them from day 1 .this years plan for milk replacer is mother’s milk for 3 days ,transformila for 3 days twice daily then a 3 day transition to shine whilst reducing transformula (mix of both).on day 10 just shine at 600 gramms oad building to 750

Crap, that should have read payment due on 20th April, calving starting in a few days with a few arrived already.

Ahh....though we had a pioneer with a brand new system

Muddy76 wrote: »
    Is that stuff the same as the calfage that comes in the 20kg bales

Simillar but better

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

I don't know if this has been answered already or not but for OAD feeding, is it better to go for a product specifically aimed at OAD (ie Shine) or are they all much the same in that regard. Most of them claim to be suitable for OAD feeding by just adjusting the feeding rate but I'm just wondering if there would be something different in the formulation in a product specifically designed for OAD.

• Advertisement

I don't know if this has been answered already or not but for OAD feeding, is it better to go for a product specifically aimed at OAD (ie Shine) or are they all much the same in that regard. Most of them claim to be suitable for OAD feeding by just adjusting the feeding rate but I'm just wondering if there would be something different in the formulation in a product specifically designed for OAD.

I’ve tried various different milk replacer ,whey based just don’t work as passes thru calves quicker and leads to digestive upsets ,u can’t push calves too hard on them either

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭mayota

I’d rear about 15 calves, feeding at 7am before work and again at 6pm or so. Would 6pm be late in the day for OAD feeding ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

Bossman is getting 4/5 bbx to feed. I've never done any here so I'm going to rob some of your knowledge, lol. What's the difference in these two shine bag's? They are both %20 P. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭stretch film

the key is a high level of skim milk , circa 50 %.
    will be using another product to shine as oad option this year .
    glanbia taking the p**s on price.

looked elsewhere without much success.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,370 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

mayota wrote: »
    I’d rear about 15 calves, feeding at 7am before work and again at 6pm or so. Would 6pm be late in the day for OAD feeding ?

No as it's once a day so once they are fed around the same time everyday then it's no difference

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭270WIN

mayota wrote: »

I'm the same as you and feed shine oad at about 6 in the evenings..no problems with that system at all. As said already feed at the same time every day. (Looking at the price of FR weanlings i might not bother rearing calves anymore!!)

Bossman is getting 4/5 bbx to feed. I've never done any here so I'm going to rob some of your knowledge, lol. What's the difference in these two shine bag's? They are both %20 P. Thanks

Any chance you could get a picture of the labels?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

Any chance you could get a picture of the labels?

I'll have a look tomorrow when I'm down at the co-op

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

the key is a high level of skim milk , circa 50 %.
    will be using another product to shine as oad option this year .
    glanbia taking the p**s on price.

looked elsewhere without much success.

What did you price? Bought 1t of shine. 45/bag

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭stretch film

I'll have a look tomorrow when I'm down

Advertisement