Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milk Replacer Price?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Henwin

We always fed calves once a day but considering now going to once a day. Wat are the general rules t o follow like way age did the calf be to switch to once a day. How much calf starter did they they to be eating and how much hay wtc

• Registered Users Posts: 24,381 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Henwin wrote: »
    We always fed calves once a day but considering now going to once a day. Wat are the general rules t o follow like way age did the calf be to switch to once a day. How much calf starter did they they to be eating and how much hay wtc

Wait till after 10 days old. Start off at roughly 600 grams per calf and work your way up to about 800 grams I think it is. Can't be certain as I've it marked out in jugs and can't remember the weights correctly. (Mahoney will be on shortly to correct me :))

I never feed hay only straw as hay can give them pot bellys. As for the crunch always have some available for them in a trough so that they can nibble on it. They will increase their intake themselves when they are ready. I prefer the pencils myself.

Once they are eating a good 1kg a head a day it's time to wean them off the milk. I get that at roughly 10 to 11 weeks old.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,111 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Reggie. wrote: »
    Wait till after 10 days old. Start off at roughly 600 grams per calf and work your way up to about 800 grams I think it is. Can't be certain as I've it marked out in jugs and can't remember the weights correctly. (Mahoney will be on shortly to correct me :))

I never feed hay only straw as hay can give them pot bellys. As for the crunch always have some available for them in a trough so that they can nibble on it. They will increase their intake themselves when they are ready. I prefer the pencils myself.

Once they are eating a good 1kg a head a day it's time to wean them off the milk. I get that at roughly 10 to 11 weeks old.

Nothing further to add there !!!!!,only thing I’d do is maby check weight of jug once a week or def beteween batches .fully agree on the hay ,even good stuff ,oaten straw I find v good for feeding

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Nothing further to add there !!!!!,only thing I’d do is maby check weight of jug once a week or def beteween batches .fully agree on the hay ,even good stuff ,oaten straw I find v good for feeding

Yes.....got it in one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭nhg

On glanbia connect at €51/bag last time I looked

Is the glanbia Gain Shine Once A Day made by Bonanza or is it a different product?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

nhg wrote: »
    Is the glanbia Gain Shine Once A Day made by Bonanza or is it a different product?

Exact same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Just got a few prices this morning.

AAA Golden Maverick 20kg bag E44, 2 bags free with each pallet
    Cargills Provimilk Pro 20kg bag, E49, 10 bags free with each pallet. Skim based

Cargills Provimilk Daisy 20kg bag E44, 10 bags free with each pallet. Whey based.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Just got a few prices this morning.

AAA Golden Maverick 20kg bag E44, 2 bags free with each pallet
    Cargills Provimilk Pro 20kg bag, E49, 10 bags free with each pallet. Skim based

Cargills Provimilk Daisy 20kg bag E44, 10 bags free with each pallet. Whey based.

Vitalac blue 2250€ per tonne. Whey and skim.based
    Vitalac red 2050€ per tonne. Skim based

Your getting a good deal there.

It'll be my first year using replacers so I'm leaning more towards skim rather than whey based even though it'll cost €5-7 more to rear them.

Anyone got any thoughts on skim being better at forming a curd in the stomach and easier reared than a whey based powder?

It'll be my first year using replacers so I'm leaning more towards skim rather than whey based even though it'll cost €5-7 more to rear them.

Anyone got any thoughts on skim being better at forming a curd in the stomach and easier reared than a whey based powder?

Skim is supposed to be better as it's protein is taken from milk as opposed to a plant protein. This is more natural for the calf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

With the last few years I've been using the top of the range skim powders but I've been having problems after weaning with summer scour. My thinking rightly or wrongly is that calves are too content on the skim, not eating enough roughage and therefore stomach lining isn't prepared for transition to grass. As an experiment this year Im going to try a more whey based powder and get them eating more roughage and ration. Time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

I put adlib ration feeders in with the calves, got bird flaps on them. Only put in a bit initially but as they eat more you can put in a bag or two and know how much they are eating. Will try and put them to grass while still on milk hoping to make the transition better, will depend on weather at the time

Vitalac blue 2250€ per tonne. Whey and skim.based
    Vitalac red 2050€ per tonne. Skim based

Don’t judge powder on price ,those vitalac powders would be far superior to any of afore mentioned

Wildsurfer wrote: »
    With the last few years I've been using the top of the range skim powders but I've been having problems after weaning with summer scour. My thinking rightly or wrongly is that calves are too content on the skim, not eating enough roughage and therefore stomach lining isn't prepared for transition to grass. As an experiment this year Im going to try a more whey based powder and get them eating more roughage and ration. Time will tell.

Thankfully don’t have that problem ,no issue getting them on concentrate or roughage ,calves would be eating straw and 1.5 kg plus ration at 8/10 weeks

Thankfully don’t have that problem ,no issue getting them on concentrate or roughage ,calves would be eating straw and 1.5 kg plus ration at 8/10 weeks

Same as that. 6 calves would eat approx half a bale of straw at least in 2 months here

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭einn32

Skim is supposed to be better as it's protein is taken from milk as opposed to a plant protein. This is more natural for the calf

Yeah the source of protein makes a difference. Also look at protein percentage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭blackdog1

Vitalac blue 2250€ per tonne. Whey and skim.based Vitalac red 2050€ per tonne. Skim based

No skim in red as far as I know. Blue is a great product but you can get stuff as good or better for cheaper.

No worries, Reggie, I'll resist the vegan plague for a while longer:pac:

Don’t judge powder on price ,those vitalac powders would be far superior to any of afore mentioned
    Looking at the spec of the Professional, according to their website, it's skim based.
    https://www.trouwnutrition.ie/en/Products/Catalogue/milkivit-calf-milk-replacer/19344
    Magenta/Buyrite have it down as whey based?
    https://www.magentadirect.ie/PRO-HEIFER-MILK-REPLACER?search=milk%20replacer

blackdog1 wrote: »
    No skim in red as far as I know. Blue is a great product but you can get stuff as good or better for cheaper.

Can you tell me which ones are as good or better?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭jfh

Paying 46 euro per bag for the oad shine, this only to rare a few for the kids, pricey but find it brilliant.

One another point at what stage could one get these calves out to grass, weather dependent of course

Same here with us..... Heading into 4th Yr rearing calves & 3rd Yr on Shine OAD & no intention of changing as very pleased with the results..

Got a price of €43.70 per bag for the Shine OAD today....

Same here with us..... Heading into 4th Yr rearing calves & 3rd Yr on Shine OAD & no intention of changing as very pleased with the results..

How many kg in a bag?

How many kg in a bag?

20kg bag

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭stretch film

Can you pm me where this price is available please.
    Unable to get any better than €46.
    Have a high skim powder sussed out as a replacement at that money

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭alps

Can you tell me which ones are as good or better?

We have used both Trouw Milkivit Professional and Cargill Provimi Premium, both around 25% skim and they are top class products. (Except I'd be too pissed with Cargill at the moment for what seems like their involvement in the EAT commission)..

Skim V Whey is a debatable issue, however of utmost importance is the percentage of the protein that comes from dairy products. Protein from vegetable form is of no benefit to a calf. The indicator of the level of dairy ingredients in the mix is the fibre figure. You need to make sure that this fibre figure is less than or equal to 0.1%. Anything higher than this is a give away that too much of the protein source is from plants.

Elvor also have a very good skim offering...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Are the prices ye quote here cash or credit prices?
    Even if it’s credit prices, a nice touch is being made. I could buy retail and still make a few hundred a ton selling it on to ye.

Are the prices ye quote here cash or credit prices?
    Even if it’s credit prices, a nice touch is being made. I could buy retail and still make a few hundred a ton selling it on to ye.

Pay Half now half in April

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Pay Half now half in April

Everything is 30days here, but you’re really only on 45days credit with a payment like that?
    Prices should reflect that?

A supplier dropped off 20bags of a ‘budget’ powder yesterday, to trial it.
    It’s €1480/t and can be used oad, tad or multiple feeds per day. Not sure of the analysis now but I’ll post it later when I pass that way.

Surely when the price of powder passes €2k you’d be better off feeding whole milk at say 32cpl?

Edit.
    It’s called Univor Énergie.
    33% skim.
    23% protein.
    22% fat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Is it much cheaper per litre when you take into account wastage, heating of water? Do people prefer powder than whole milk?

Advertisement