Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milk Replacer Price?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭orm0nd

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Is it much cheaper per litre when you take into account wastage, heating of water? Do people prefer powder than whole milk?

tried replacer here for a couple of years when milk price was high, found very little difference performance wise with new milk, ..

using acified new milk last couple years and will be again this year

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Plan this year is bull calves on whole milk till they go and heifers on milk replacer once a pen is full. Would normally use whole milk for the lot

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭blackdog1

Everything is 30days here, but you’re really only on 45days credit with a payment like that? Prices should reflect that?

A supplier dropped off 20bags of a ‘budget’ powder yesterday, to trial it. It’s €1480/t and can be used oad, tad or multiple feeds per day. Not sure of the analysis now but I’ll post it later when I pass that way.

Surely when the price of powder passes €2k you’d be better off feeding whole milk at say 32cpl?

Edit. It’s called Univor Énergie. 33% skim. 23% protein. 22% fat.

I'm using precision. That's a very good powder. You'd have to wonder how volac are charging 2250-2500 a tonne for whey based produced in Ireland.....when I can get a skim based imported from France for 2k or less a tonne.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,381 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

blackdog1 wrote: »
    I'm using precision. That's a very good powder. You'd have to wonder how volac are charging 2250-2500 a tonne for whey based produced in Ireland.....when I can get a skim based imported from France for 2k or less a tonne.

Cos they are robbing bastards

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

blackdog1 wrote: »

Coops/Merchants chalk down a nice margin for themselves...I wouldn’t be paying over €300/t for Urea either. It’s freely available for under €300 here.
    Off topic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I just got a quote for an own brand skim/whey mix 26% protein, 16% oil for E2k/t direct from France, rep saying 25c/l.

Just waiting for the specs to arrive to get a better look at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭blackdog1

I just got a quote for an own brand skim/whey mix 26% protein, 16% oil for E2k/t direct from France, rep saying 25c/l.

That's alot direct. You can get it here for that easy. Get Dawg to throw a tonne on a lorry if you want it direct! 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 11,182 ✭✭✭✭Base price

How many grms per litre for the first 2 weeks tad and then for oad.

Base price wrote: »
    How many grms per litre for the first 2 weeks tad and then for oad.
    No idea until the specs come back. It may be later today or tomorrow but I was told it's priced at 25c/l.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭alps

Never think of milk powder in terms of litres...

Only the sales rep talks in litres and that's always with a spin that it's cheaper than your own milk.

Milk powder needs to be considered in terms of grammes fed per day. It doesn't matter how many litres you give them, water is only the carrier.....

People feed anywhere from 450g to 750g with some I've seen even going to 1kg which is untypical.

A typical rearer bringing a calf up to 6 litres per day with a mix of 125g /875g water fed for 60/65 days will consume 2 bags (40kg) of powder at €2000 per tonne totals €80.

If you really need to consider litres, that litre mix costs 25c, but I stress litres and milk powder are irrelevant..

Normal distribution channels of milk powder go from manufacturer/importer, distributor, retailer, farmer...

Cut out any of the middlemen and you will save 250/300...

Best option is to try and buy from a retailer that buys direct ie DIRECT, from a manufacturer..

• Advertisement

Any chance you could post the specs Buford? Without the name if you wish...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭stretch film

alps wrote: »
    Never think of milk powder in terms of litres...

Only the sales rep talks in litres and that's always with a spin that it's cheaper than your own milk.

Milk powder needs to be considered in terms of grammes fed per day. It doesn't matter how many litres you give them, water is only the carrier.....

People feed anywhere from 450g to 750g with some I've seen even going to 1kg which is untypical.

A typical rearer bringing a calf up to 6 litres per day with a mix of 125g /875g water fed for 60/65 days will consume 2 bags (40kg) of powder at €2000 per tonne totals €80.

If you really need to consider litres, that litre mix costs 25c, but I stress litres and milk powder are irrelevant..

Normal distribution channels of milk powder go from manufacturer/importer, distributor, retailer, farmer...

Cut out any of the middlemen and you will save 250/300...

Best option is to try and buy from a retailer that buys direct ie DIRECT, from a manufacturer..

Buford s powder is being bought through an Irish retailer if its the one I'm thinking it is..
    125 g / litre
    Spec not for widespread public consumption I'd say ... usual policy of the business

Finally got that spec, hope it's clear enough on a screenshot.
    h2UQ192.jpg

h2UQ192.jpg

Looks excellent for rearing dairy stock Chief.
    What brand and price?

h2UQ192.jpg

Interesting spec Buford. It's the first time I've seen a "heiferlac" fat/Protein ratio with a skim inclusion. Certainly top class dairy proteins by the fibre figure. First time I've seen Lactose specified, and have no idea as to what should be a good or target figure.

Good luck with it and let us know how you get on..

Looks excellent for rearing dairy stock Chief.
    What brand and price?
    It's 2k a tonne, own brand through a group scheme but it's coming from France was all I was told.

alps wrote: »
    Interesting spec Buford. It's the first time I've seen a "heiferlac" fat/Protein ratio with a skim inclusion. Certainly top class dairy proteins by the fibre figure. First time I've seen Lactose specified, and have no idea as to what should be a good or target figure.

Good luck with it and let us know how you get on..
    That Heiferlac type spec has me a bit concerned, I just saw Heiferlac isn't recommended for bull calves so I'm thinking this one isn't either?

The price I got for Heiferlac today was E50 a bag compared to E40 a bag for the above.

Some other prices Maverick E42
    Champion E40(whey)
    Provimilk

Daisy E39 (whey)

Elevator E45 (whey)

Professional E46 (skim)

Edit: Pallets would be a few euro cheaper.

Anyone else got a few prices?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,517 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

That Heiferlac type spec has me a bit concerned, I just saw Heiferlac isn't recommended for bull calves so I'm thinking this one isn't either?

The price I got for Heiferlac today was E50 a bag compared to E40 a bag for the above.

Champion E40(whey)
    Provimilk

Daisy E39 (whey)

Elevator E45 (whey)

Professional E46 (skim)

Eringold, whey, €44 or €41 for a pallet

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Teddy 1234

Did anyone get a price for easy mix volac? Is there 50 bags in a pallet

Eurovo 26% 2080/ tonne

• Advertisement

Champion E40(whey)
    Provimilk

Daisy E39 (whey)

Elevator E45 (whey)

Professional E46 (skim)

You’d need the fat content to be 22% as an absolute minimum for bull calves. 24% to 28% is even better.

You’d need the fat content to be 22% as an absolute minimum for bull calves. 24% to 28% is even better.
    For anyone interested in pricing, the Journal has a price list of most of the available replacers this week.

https://www.farmersjournal.ie/little-change-in-milk-replacer-costs-434192

Interestingly, only one has an oil % over 20 and 5 have oil %s at 20%, that's out of 30 listed.

Most are 16-18%

Surely you mean protein content?

h2UQ192.jpg
    Sheriff, what is the percentage of skim.

We've been feeding a 30% skim powder - 22% protein and 15% fat (.1% fiber) for a number of years to dairy and dairy cross beef calves.

We moved away from 100% whey milk replacers due to scours particularly when changing to oad.

We've been feeding a 30% skim powder - 22% protein and 15% fat (.1% fiber) for a number of years to dairy and dairy cross beef calves.

We moved away from 100% whey milk replacers due to scours particularly when changing to oad.
    I have no idea, BP. I didn't do anything about it today but I'll try and get a few answers tomorrow for different bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

What brand is that base?

What brand is that base?
    It is not a branded product like Champion, Volac, Shine/Gain etc.

Surely you mean protein content?

No I mean fats!
    Dairy heifers need high protein for rapid growth rates so the usual fat % is around 15-16%. This will not put any undesirable fat on the heifer calves.

Beef bull calves need to put on condition so a lower protein and higher fat powder is needed. Bulls will easily more than double their birth weight at weaning on high fat powders. They’ll be like they came off a cow.

The tricky part is to keep putting condition on them after weaning...

From what I can see most powders on the Irish market are totally unsuitable for beef calves.

Edit.
    I’m in the process of securing a rosé veal contract atm. Calves ready to slaughter at 9mts could leave a better margin than bulls at 16mts. It wouldn’t be possible without feeding a high fat powder.
    We failed to consistently finish 16mt bulls at over 400kg carcass while using dairy type powders.
    Iykwim?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Would you think there's a market for veal over here dawg?

• Advertisement

Given whole milk as a powder would be around 34% p and 40% f, getting them eating a decent crunch on powder would be fairly important too

Advertisement