Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

OnePlus 7 Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,331 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

The Rog phone 2? It's got the 120hz screen, I definitely notice the difference going back to 90hz on the one plus 7 pro from the 120hz on the Razer 1&2.
    The Motorola Razr V4 is possibly going to be unvailed on the 14th of November, if it can do what I think it can basically cut the size of modern flagships in half I think it's worth waiting for a look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

Does anyone think the 1080p res on the 7T is really going to make a notable difference in image quality compared the higher res phones that are the norm now~?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Android 10 update pending, anyone give it a go?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,331 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Android 10 update pending, anyone give it a go?

Installed it this time last month. I don't notice anything worth noting. It gets rid of that problem when your can't start the phone when it dies while it's charging if your rooted.
    It asks tons of security related questions in apps, was saying no then just gave up and have been agreeing to everything.
    The truth be known I preferred android 9.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,131 ✭✭✭John mac

yea, downloaded it last night .
    havn't noticed much difference really, except dark theme.
    but then im not what you would call a power user.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭54and56

Looking for some help here setting up a new 7T Pro.

I declined the Google option to set up the 7T Pro using a backup from my previous device (OnePlus 5) in favour of setting up via the OnePlus Switch app which worked seamlessly except for the fact it only installed about two thirds of the apps I had installed on the OnePlus 5 which is annoying.

I'm thinking of doing a factory reset and setting up from scratch again but this time via the Google backup option instead of the OnePlus Switch app.

Good/Bad idea? Anyone else had a similar experience? Anyone got any tips on how best to ensure a full and smooth setup which replicates as much as possible the OnePlus 5?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

What do you want backups for, save files is it?

I always just start from scratch and download what I want.

What do you want backups for, save files is it?

I have over 200 apps and would like all of them plus launcher layout, WiFi passwords etc to be copied from my OP5 and installed on the 7T Pro. AFAIK that's what the OnePlus Switch app and/or the Google set up from backup option is supposed to achieve.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Finally got mine today! Was dropped into work with no signature or anything!

Not be paying for speedier delivery for DHL again anyway.

So far, so good. It's a great phone and I'm happy with it.
    What's everyone using as a cover for it, other than the clear one that comes with it? I would like another Spigen (Neo Hybrid used on past 2 phones), though don't see any available for the T series yet.

byte wrote: »
    Finally got mine today! Was dropped into work with no signature or anything!

Not be paying for speedier delivery for DHL again anyway.

So far, so good. It's a great phone and I'm happy with it.
    What's everyone using as a cover for it, other than the clear one that comes with it? I would like another Spigen (Neo Hybrid used on past 2 phones), though don't see any available for the T series yet.

Likewise, upgraded from the 5 and the difference in both screen size and clarity is substantial. It's rapid fast, has tons of storage and the build quality is top notch. I was a bit worried I wouldn't like the curved sides to the screen but they are fine and after 24 hours I haven't noticed any accidental taps whilst holding it plus the in screen fingerprint sensor works way better than I expected it would, very few false negatives.

Right from the OnePlus One (which only cost £274!!) I've always used the OnePlus bumper cases and find them excellent. I also had s tempered glass screen protector on the OP5 and ordered one for the 7T Pro but the screen is sooooo nice I don't think I'll actually fit out when it arrives :-(

• Advertisement

So have the 7T Pro a few days now.

Screen and speed are amazing as is the fingerprint reader.

It's noticeably heavier than the 5 to the extent that I am not as confident or comfortable using it one handed but I'm sure I'll get used to it.

What I'm not very impressed with thus far albeit it's early days and things might improve with more charging cycles is the battery performance.

I initially thought the poor performance was a reflection of the fact I was using it a lot over the first couple of days setting things up with the screen on high brightness etc but today with fairly light use and the screen set to adaptive brightness etc I only got 13 hours out of 90% of the battery, see below.

It looks like Bluetooth and the Android System itself are absolutely hogging the battery using up 35% of the battery in that time.

Anyone else having similar problems?

I plan to give it the weekend and if I can't find a fix or it doesn't improve significantly I may just return it for a refund or new phone.

Battery1571945126.jpg

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

That Bluetooth use is huge, I've got a Galaxy Watch and pair of Sony Headphones running off Bluetooth and it's only used 3% in my battery stats.

What devices are you using on Bluetooth? Something there seems to be polling your phone an awful lot to take that much battery out, so that should be your first investigation.

devnull wrote: »
    That Bluetooth use is huge, I've got a Galaxy Watch and pair of Sony Headphones running off Bluetooth and it's only used 3% in my battery stats.

What devices are you using on Bluetooth? Something there seems to be polling your phone an awful lot to take that much battery out, so that should be your first investigation.

Thanks Devnull, my Bluetooth use is mainly my car and my work Lenovo laptop as I like to use the "Your Phone Companion" app from Microsoft which syncs the phone alerts, SMS and photos with my laptop so I can see phone alerts pop up on my laptop screen, send and receive text messages from my laptop and include photos taken with my phone in emails I'm sending from my laptop or in documents I'm working on on my laptop etc.

I guess that app and the dynamic lock option in Win 10 which uses a Bluetooth connection to your phone to lock your laptop once it loses connection to it are the likely Bluetooth culprits!!

I'll start by dropping the dynamic lock option as that's the least useful option Bluetooth is being used for.

One good thing to report. Warp speed charging got the phone from 10% to 100% in less than 1 hour. Pretty impressive!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭nedd

54and56 wrote: »
    Thanks Devnull, my Bluetooth use is mainly my car and my work Lenovo laptop as I like to use the "Your Phone Companion" app from Microsoft which syncs the phone alerts, SMS and photos with my laptop so I can see phone alerts pop up on my laptop screen, send and receive text messages from my laptop and include photos taken with my phone in emails I'm sending from my laptop or in documents I'm working on on my laptop etc.

I guess that app and the dynamic lock option in Win 10 which uses a Bluetooth connection to your phone to lock your laptop once it loses connection to it are the likely Bluetooth culprits!!

I'll start by dropping the dynamic lock option as that's the least useful option Bluetooth is being used for.

One good thing to report. Warp speed charging got the phone from 10% to 100% in less than 1 hour. Pretty impressive!!

The phone companion app doesn't use Bluetooth to sync the info, it all happened over the internet.

I would guess having your phone connected to the laptop using Bluetooth for the dynamic lock is the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭DanC90

54and56 wrote:
    It looks like Bluetooth and the Android System itself are absolutely hogging the battery using up 35% of the battery in that time.

I've had this issue several times with previous phones (Inc OP3 & OP5T) and a factory reset and setting up the phone from scratch and re-downloading my apps manually solved it,

I investigated this in the past and believe it was on XDA someone posted the issue stems from backing up your phone from a previous one which carries over a setting that makes the new phone use up a lot of power from the Android System & Bluetooth.

Hope this helps.

DanC90 wrote: »
    I've had this issue several times with previous phones (Inc OP3 & OP5T) and a factory reset and setting up the phone from scratch and re-downloading my apps manually solved it,

I investigated this in the past and believe it was on XDA someone posted the issue stems from backing up your phone from a previous one which carries over a setting that makes the new phone use up a lot of power from the Android System & Bluetooth.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Dan, i actually ran through all the settings a couple of days ago, deleted my laptop Bluetooth connection and battery time has extended quite a bit.

I'll give it a few days then do a normal days test Wed/Thurs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

How do you people find Android 10 on it? Is it an improvement over 9?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Kylo Ren wrote: »
    How do you people find Android 10 on it? Is it an improvement over 9?

2hwflx.jpg

:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Haha. Dunno why it even was worded like that. You Android 10 people. :D

• Advertisement

Hope this helps.

Deleting the Bluetooth devices which transferred across along with tweaking the settings seems to be doing the trick.

Screenshot201910272144121572212698.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

I am looking at getting the One Plus 7t pro in the next couple of weeks

I have had the one plus 1 and currently on the one plus 5. All phones that I have had I rooted and used custom roms

However for this I would like to keep the OTA updates from One plus and not install a custom rom. However I would like to be able to install apps like add away and Titanium back up, gcam etc

So if I do unlock the bootloader and install Magisk would I still be able to get the updates from One plus OTA or would I have to install these manually?

Thanks

I am looking at getting the One Plus 7t pro in the next couple of weeks

I have had the one plus 1 and currently on the one plus 5. All phones that I have had I rooted and used custom roms

However for this I would like to keep the OTA updates from One plus and not install a custom rom. However I would like to be able to install apps like add away and Titanium back up, gcam etc

So if I do unlock the bootloader and install Magisk would I still be able to get the updates from One plus OTA or would I have to install these manually?

Thanks

Same as yourself IG, I had the OPO and OP5 and used to flash ROM's and tweak away like mad but gave up when I got the OP5 and have been stock since so can't comment on whether you'll still get OTA updates if you unlock the bootloader but OnePlus have always been fairly open so it might be worth checking their user forum - https://forums.oneplus.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Saw the below response

You would need to manually install. And remember to unload all modules, and reinstall magisk before reboot etc.

The problem is the missing TWRP, so if you fail you have to wipe everything.

I hate adds on the phone so ad away works for me and blocks nearly all adds I know there is others like blokada just never tried it always used ad away

I hate adds on the phone so ad away works for me and blocks nearly all adds I know there is others like blokada just never tried it always used ad away

I've been using Blockada for years and think it's great. It sits in the background, is unobtrusive and just gets the job done nice and quietly. It's an open source project which kicked off on XDA and gained a lot of momentum so I trust it more than I'd trust a commercial app.

I've been using Blockada for years and think it's great. It sits in the background, is unobtrusive and just gets the job done nice and quietly. It's an open source project which kicked off on XDA and gained a lot of momentum so I trust it more than I'd trust a commercial app.

Just installed Blokada. It runs as a VPN?

• Advertisement

nedd wrote: »
    Just installed Blokada. It runs as a VPN?

Yes just for blocking ads and it's 100% free.

In addition to ad blocking they have layered full service VPN and custom DNS options on top which are paid for services but entirely optional and I don't use them as I have a multi device account with express VPN which covers my laptop's, media boxes etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

Yes just for blocking ads and it's 100% free.

Is it only for websites or can it do YouTube as well?

py2006 wrote: »
    Is it only for websites or can it do YouTube as well?

No, there's an explanation in the Blockada FAQ's which confirms it struggles to block ads on YouTube but does recommend https://newpipe.schabi.org as a way to enjoy YouTube without the annoying pop ups. How many times do I need to tell YouTube that I don't want to start a free 30 day trial? :mad:

It also recommends https://www.xda-developers.com/youtube-vanced-apk but this looks a little more involved in terms of choosing the right version for your rooted/non-rooted setup.

No, there's an explanation in the Blockada FAQ's which confirms it struggles to block ads on YouTube but does recommend https://newpipe.schabi.org as a way to enjoy YouTube without the annoying pop ups. How many times do I need to tell YouTube that I don't want to start a free 30 day trial? :mad:

It also recommends https://www.xda-developers.com/youtube-vanced-apk but this looks a little more involved in terms of choosing the right version for your rooted/non-rooted setup.

I signed up for YouTube Premium using the guide in bargain alerts and it is the best €2 a month I spend. No ads and I'm listening to YouTube music right now.

A bit of topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 eddieb88

is the 7t pro 5g ready for Ireland does anyone know

• Advertisement

eddieb88 wrote: »
    is the 7t pro 5g ready for Ireland does anyone know

Nope, it doesn't have 5G capability.

I was going to hold out for a 5G phone but I reckon by the time the network is rolled out to a decent level and the initial premium pricing (which I won't pay Vs 4G or fairly ubiquitous WiFi wherever I go) drops to a more acceptable level it'll be time to upgrade the 7T Pro I just purchased i.e. 2.5 to 3 years time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Nope, 99% sure it's not.

I was going to hold out for a 5G phone but I reckon by the time the network is rolled out to a decent level and the initial premium pricing (which I won't pay Vs 4G or fairly ubiquitous WiFi wherever I go) drops to a more acceptable level it'll be time to upgrade the 7T Pro I just purchased i.e. 2.5 to 3 years time.

Vodafone already running 5g here, not sure on plans etc but with them and gomo coming into the market, there is pressure on networks to up their game

I'd expect 5G in the next year

This was also a feature on the 7T that would've made me buy it by now but I'm going to hold off for a 5G model. Still running the OP5 as a result but still very happy with it all the same !

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Since the latest update is anyone else suffering the random jump to home screen while typing? (OP7 Pro)
    At first I thought I was hitting the home/back button but nope.. just randomly throws me out of the app.

Yakult wrote: »
    Since the latest update is anyone else suffering the random jump to home screen while typing? (OP7 Pro)
    At first I thought I was hitting the home/back button but nope.. just randomly throws me out of the app.

Nope, haven't noticed anything like that.

Try changing keyboards and see if the problem continues?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭timetogo1

I've got the ghost touch issue on the oneplus 7 pro. Had it since day one and I've updated to android 10 and it still exists.

Every couple of days the screen will start acting as if I'm pressing it randomly. To resolve this each time I turn off the screen and wipe it. Then it goes away for a couple of days.
    Has anybody else had this issue or resolved it permanently?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Since the update

Having some serious issues trying to share photos from the gallery app, cant share to Instagram, email, whats-app etc. Keeps crashing.

Photos show up rotated in the gallery also but when you go into the photo its the right way orientated.

Random jumps to home too

Since the update

Having some serious issues trying to share photos from the gallery app, cant share to Instagram, email, whats-app etc. Keeps crashing.

Photos show up rotated in the gallery also but when you go into the photo its the right way orientated.

Random jumps to home too

I have that picture orientation problem too and I just checked if I could share from my gallery to Instagram etc and it's working fine for me.

Have to say I was happier with the phone before the update tbh..

timetogo1 wrote: »
    I've got the ghost touch issue on the oneplus 7 pro. Had it since day one and I've updated to android 10 and it still exists.

Every couple of days the screen will start acting as if I'm pressing it randomly. To resolve this each time I turn off the screen and wipe it. Then it goes away for a couple of days.
    Has anybody else had this issue or resolved it permanently?

A good few years ago my mother had that issue with a second gen Nexus 7. The issue never resolved itself despite me trying many fixes.

I reckon it was a hardware fault rather than a software one.

A good few years ago my mother had that issue with a second gen Nexus 7. The issue never resolved itself despite me trying many fixes.

I reckon it was a hardware fault rather than a software one.

Surely it's software if it's only started happening since an update, right?

Either way, if it doesn't get resolved soon i'm not keeping the phone for too long.

Surely it's software if it's only started happening since an update, right?

Either way, if it doesn't get resolved soon i'm not keeping the phone for too long.

Oh right yours only happened since update. My mothers was hardware as I tried a lot of fixes and the fault was there since she got it. I didn't know as it was not mine it was only when she told me.

Flash back the older ROM so and see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,131 ✭✭✭John mac

I have that picture orientation problem too and I just checked if I could share from my gallery to Instagram etc and it's working fine for me.

Have to say I was happier with the phone before the update tbh..

happened to me a couple of times , i rebooted the phone and it has been fine since

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,045 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I have had my 3T for just over 3 years. It was still going relatively strong until the weekend and the home button finally succumbed to years of use. Now the volume buttons and home button are no longer working so it's time to upgrade to the 7. Was hoping to wait until the new year but I'm gonna have to bite the bullet now.

I'm sure tech savy, but just have one question really before I do. What's the easiest way to transfer all pictures & galleries from the 3T to the 7? Or does it do it automatically because of my android account? I haven't upgraded in years so unsure of the process.

FitzShane wrote:
    I'm sure tech savy, but just have one question really before I do. What's the easiest way to transfer all pictures & galleries from the 3T to the 7? Or does it do it automatically because of my android account? I haven't upgraded in years so unsure of the process.

If you use Google photos and have your gallery backed up to there then it will be as simple as logging in to the same Google account.

Just make sure beforehand that you have backed up all albums and pictures you deem important.

FitzShane wrote: »
    I have had my 3T for just over 3 years. It was still going relatively strong until the weekend and the home button finally succumbed to years of use. Now the volume buttons and home button are no longer working so it's time to upgrade to the 7. Was hoping to wait until the new year but I'm gonna have to bite the bullet now.

I transferred from a OnePlus 5 to the 7T Pro. Initially I just used the OnePlus Switch app (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.oneplus.backuprestore&hl=en) but lots of my apps didn't re-install on the 7T Pro so I did a factory reset, set up using the google backup from my OnePlus 5 (you should do a full backup of the 3T) which set up all the apps, settings and Wi-Fi passwords etc and I then used the OnePlus Switch app to transfer just the content I wanted from the OnePlus 5 such as photo's and some TV Series and Movies I had on the 5.

Took about an hour to complete both processes but both were painless and neither required much more than confirmation of a few actions and in the case of the OnePlus Switch app I just had to select what I wanted to be transferred. I think I transferred about 36GB of content all together from the 5 using the OnePlus Switch app which took about 40 minutes or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,045 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Thanks for the replies.

I know I have to purchase headphone jack also, is there any thing else I should be aware of before purchasing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

FitzShane wrote: »

That's weird.
    I have a 3T too and was thinking of upgrading but decided to wait till next cycle (8) as I've a crap load of other 3xpenses at moment. This weekend both the home button and volume button stopped working for me. I've done a reset or two and have them back now. Not sure if it's a temp fix or whether it's just the beginning of symptoms for end of life for the phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,477 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Lads have ye tried surgical spirits on the home button?
    Worked wonders for me and others I know on iPhones before.

Anyway the McLaren 7t pro goes on sale tomorrow (yum) so ye can always purchase that :D

FitzShane wrote:
    I know I have to purchase headphone jack also, is there any thing else I should be aware of before purchasing?

If you mean a USB-C to headphone Jack adapter then one should be provided in the box (at least it was with the 6T).

HTH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Uncle Mclovin

If you mean a USB-C to headphone Jack adapter then one should be provided in the box (at least it was with the 6T).

HTH.

None came with the 7T. Had to order it separately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Uncle Mclovin

Is everyone putting screen protectors on their phone? It seems there is already one on it but not sure how easy that is to replace. I see you can buy some 3d one on one plus website.

Advertisement