Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OnePlus 7 Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

TitianGerm wrote: »
    There's an announcement on the 10th of October to release the 7T and rumours of the 7T Pro reveal. I'd hang on a few days.

Cheers not buying any day soon

Saw the 7t not to keen on the camera so looking at the pro may have a look at the 7t pro see what this is like

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Just became the proud owner of a OnePlus 7 Pro 5G Nebula Blue 8GB/256GB as working in the UK a fair bit and have been given this on EE and have to say it's a beautiful phone.

One question though, did anyone else have problems setting fingerprints up? It tells me to hold my finger and then only draws a small line on the sensor and I have to hold it and move it many times.

There's a clear, thin layer of film on the display, but I assume that is a screen protector so I haven't removed it and don't really want to unless it's not a screen protector?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,821 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

devnull wrote: »
    Just became the proud owner of a OnePlus 7 Pro 5G Nebula Blue 8GB/256GB as working in the UK a fair bit and have been given this on EE and have to say it's a beautiful phone.

One question though, did anyone else have problems setting fingerprints up? It tells me to hold my finger and then only draws a small line on the sensor and I have to hold it and move it many times.

There's a clear, thin layer of film on the display, but I assume that is a screen protector so I haven't removed it and don't really want to unless it's not a screen protector?

Your meant to scan your fingerprint multiple times (adjust how it sits on the sensor each time) to fill up the icon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,951 ✭✭✭Doge

RangeR wrote: »
    You don't want to risk a fire but you want to skrimp on materials? Just buy it from 1+. And it's €50 direct + Postage.

Skrimp on what materials?

I don't understand what you mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭nedd

Anyone know if Three will have the oneplus 7t?

Due an upgrade and was about to pull the trigger on the 7 today.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Couple of queries/issues I'm having

Moving data from SD Card
    What has everyone found is the best way to transfer data off an SD card to their 7 series?

I can think of a few ways of doing it, but wondering if someone had a definitive view as what was better, I'm coming from another Android 9 phone (Sony Xperia) if that helps. I have a fair few gigs of music and photos I'd like to bring across.

Poor Bluetooth Sound
    Also are there any tricks for getting better quality sound on wireless headphones? Honestly the same pair of headphones are certainly clearer on my old phone. Everything sounds like it's at a lower bitrate, be it Spotify, Youtube or anything else. Also sounds a bit quieter.

Headphone controls not working on spotify
    Having problems with my Sony headphones on Spotify, the next track function works fine and as does play, but the pause button and previous track don't do anything. This is only a problem on Spotify. Again this issue does not occur with the same version of Spotify on my old phone.
    (fixed by disabling Bluetooth absolute volume in Developer Mode)

Having to press next every time I enter a pin
    Is it possible to set it up so if I enter the last digit of the pin it automatically unlocks the phone like it is on my Xperia? Annoying to have to press enter or confirm every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Moving data from SD Card
    What has everyone found is the best way to transfer data off an SD card to their 7 series? - Get a USB-C card reader and slot it in the bottom of the phone

Poor Bluetooth Sound
    Also are there any tricks for getting better quality sound on wireless headphones? Honestly the same pair of headphones are certainly clearer on my old phone. Everything sounds like it's at a lower bitrate, be it Spotify, Youtube or anything else. Also sounds a bit quieter. - I think they have an EQR now, you can turn off dolby atmos etc in buetooth device settings

/

Having to press next every time I enter a pin
    Is it possible to set it up so if I enter the last digit of the pin it automatically unlocks the phone like it is on my Xperia? Annoying to have to press enter or confirm every time. - Yes in security settings you can change this

Bold above

• Registered Users Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭54and56

Moving data from SD Card
    What has everyone found is the best way to transfer data off an SD card to their 7 series?

I can think of a few ways of doing it, but wondering if someone had a definitive view as what was better, I'm coming from another Android 9 phone (Sony Xperia) if that helps. I have a fair few gigs of music and photos I'd like to bring across.

Connect old phone with SD card in to your laptop (if you don't have an SD card reader), connect your new phone to laptop, use file explorer to copy and paste from old SD card to new phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Moving data from SD Card

Another option:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.oneplus.backuprestore&hl=en_IE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTTOa_pheTU

Stream starting in around an hour...to confirm everything we kinda already know!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Quite bizarre to see a launch event two weeks after we've already seen all the reviews. Only thing really left to know is the price in Ireland, I'm assuming €599?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Cina wrote: »
    Quite bizarre to see a launch event two weeks after we've already seen all the reviews. Only thing really left to know is the price in Ireland, I'm assuming €599?
    Plus i'm sure there'll be the OnePlus 7T Pro McLaren edition as well....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Yeah 599 for the base model is the rumor...will probably be 8/128 though.

Wonder if the 7T pro will only come in the McLaren edition

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Mr Velo wrote: »
    Plus i'm sure there'll be the OnePlus 7T Pro McLaren edition as well....

I thought the rumour was that there would be no pro variant in the west this time, only in Asia?

Honestly not sure why anyone would even want the pro now that the regular 7T has that 90hz screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭deafroadrunner

I'm getting that McLaren edition

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭ldr

Does look pretty nice.
    It will be a long 7 days waiting for release date

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Tempted by the OnePlus 7T Pro. Only a tenner dearer than the 7Pro with a couple of nice spec bumps. Would love to see a OnePlus with wireless charging.

Would be very tempted by the OnePlus 7T as it’s a lot of phone for the money but the camera housing is horrendous.

Cina wrote: »
    I thought the rumour was that there would be no pro variant in the west this time, only in Asia?

Honestly not sure why anyone would even want the pro now that the regular 7T has that 90hz screen.

Higher res screen. No notch. Pop up selfie camera. More traditional camera housing. Curved screen(if that’s your thing). Bigger screen.

The 7T over the Pro was probably an easier choice than the just announced 7T Pro which kinda took all the extra little things the 7T had over the Pro and added them to the 7T Pro.

Was thinking of getting 7t Pro however not great initial review

https://www.xda-developers.com/oneplus-7t-pro-xda-review/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭xtal191

Anyone know if the 7T has a notification light this time? The 6t and 7 didn't

• Advertisement

Was thinking of getting 7t Pro however not great initial review

https://www.xda-developers.com/oneplus-7t-pro-xda-review/

That seems to be all software related so not phone specific. The 7T ships with Android 10 too and its being rolled out later this month for the 6T.

adox wrote: »
    That seems to be all software related so not phone specific. The 7T ships with Android 10 too and its being rolled out later this month for the 6T.

Mostly but battery doesn't seem to be the best reading this

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Unknownability

Does anyone know a better place to but the Oneplus 7 pro?

https://www.eglobalcentral.eu/oneplus-7-pro-gm1910-6gb-128gb-dual-sim-mirror-gray-cn-ver-with-flashed-os-1.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwrfvsBRD7ARIsAKuDvMN8uT8SOSby19PWADkKwemhxrjzZ3Z8bV6PZI3Yis7CKIOIzjwutD8aAqT2EALw_wcB

I'll be traveling to China and the US shortly, would this phone work in both places? Ideally I'd like to get two local Sims.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭KildareP

adox wrote: »

Unfortunately with OnePlus though many bugs do not get ironed out, at best initial ones do and then new ones get added. And even with initial ones it takes months, rather than weeks, to fully settle them down.

I've had both a OnePlus 3 and a OnePlus 5 and to date both have outstanding software bugs which, apart from a promised upgrade to Android 10 for the OP5, development has effectively ceased for both so there is no real plan for any further bug fixing to take place.

Great hardware by all means for the price you pay but the software side sadly lets it down.

Unless it's just me and I'm cursed as since moving back to iOS last year iOS 13 is a bug ridden mess now as well :)

KildareP wrote: »
    Unfortunately with OnePlus though many bugs do not get ironed out, at best initial ones do and then new ones get added. And even with initial ones it takes months, rather than weeks, to fully settle them down.

I've had both a OnePlus 3 and a OnePlus 5 and to date both have outstanding software bugs which, apart from a promised upgrade to Android 10 for the OP5, development has effectively ceased for both so there is no real plan for any further bug fixing to take place.

Great hardware by all means for the price you pay but the software side sadly lets it down.

Unless it's just me and I'm cursed as since moving back to iOS last year iOS 13 is a bug ridden mess now as well :)

What bugs did the OP5 have? Can't say I've ever noticed any on my one.

What bugs did the OP5 have? Can't say I've ever noticed any on my one.

Bluetooth was terrible for several months after release - not connecting or connecting but stuttering badly when playing music

GPS was a dog for several months after release too - couldn't lock or would lock fine and then suddenly decide you were miles away

Battery life was very inconsistent between software versions and I found the phone getting hot for no apparent reason - it was sent back but no fault found

Camera quality on the stock camera app was dreadful for about a year because the software post-processing wasn't working properly. Made everything look like an oil painting

Even now there's an issue on the latest release where it doesn't always notify you of incoming calls, sometimes the phone vibrates but there's no visible notification of the call, others the phone just doesn't respond at all but the caller still gets the ringing tone

I don't know how many factory resets I had to do over the few years I had both phones. Just gave up on them in the end and unwilling to go back.

Pity really because as I say they are fantastic phones hardware wise and when they're working well, they really are up there with the Apple's, Huawei P's and Samsung Notes and for several hundred Euro less of your money!

KildareP wrote: »
    Bluetooth was terrible for several months after release - not connecting or connecting but stuttering badly when playing music

GPS was a dog for several months after release too - couldn't lock or would lock fine and then suddenly decide you were miles away

Battery life was very inconsistent between software versions and I found the phone getting hot for no apparent reason - it was sent back but no fault found

Camera quality on the stock camera app was dreadful for about a year because the software post-processing wasn't working properly. Made everything look like an oil painting

Even now there's an issue on the latest release where it doesn't always notify you of incoming calls, sometimes the phone vibrates but there's no visible notification of the call, others the phone just doesn't respond at all but the caller still gets the ringing tone

I don't know how many factory resets I had to do over the few years I had both phones. Just gave up on them in the end and unwilling to go back.

Pity really because as I say they are fantastic phones hardware wise and when they're working well, they really are up there with the Apple's, Huawei P's and Samsung Notes and for several hundred Euro less of your money!

Can't say I ever noticed any of those bar the camera issue. Especially the GPS one because I used Maps a lot when traveling for work.

Can't say I ever noticed any of those bar the camera issue. Especially the GPS one because I used Maps a lot when traveling for work.

Just goes to show the inconsistency!

The phone was useless for me for several months as I was out on the road constantly and had unreliable maps and no usable bluetooth audio.

They're all well documented on the OnePlus forums - but then I remember lots of people at the time on the discussions who like yourself weren't experiencing the issues at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭54and56

I'm getting that McLaren edition

Apart from the distinctive design with McLaren branding etc what technical enhancements does the 7T Pro McLaren have over the 7T Pro?

• Advertisement

54and56 wrote: »
    Apart from the distinctive design with McLaren branding etc what technical enhancements does the 7T Pro McLaren have over the 7T Pro?

The last McClaren one had 12GB of ram so I'd imagine it's the same here?

Advertisement