Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Serial

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Sheela

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 Montefiore

Started listening to this about a week ago. Really love it. It's the type of thing you'd pay a few quid for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Rabo Karabekian

Montefiore wrote: »
    Started listening to this about a week ago. Really love it. It's the type of thing you'd pay a few quid for.

Was listening to episode 9 when they were requesting donations, and thought I should definitely give a few quid. By the time I had got back and logged online, they had already received enough for another season. Not hard to see why.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Episode 11 is out!

Rumours!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Bit of a filler episode. Next week is the last one though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Yeah not a worthwhile episode IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭rednoggin

Didn't think much of episode 11 at all, nothing new or relevant to the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Real Psycrow

Just finished listening to it. It was a nothing episode.
    After being told by the cop she brought in to ignore the opinions of everyone she talked to about Adnan's personality, this was basically an episode on everyone's opinion on his personality.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Putting on the brakes with one episode to go was an odd decision.
    Hopefully next week doesn't suffer because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,010 ✭✭✭bren2001

It was such a pointless episode. Surly they could have come up with something better than that. At the very least, summed up everything we have learned so far and set it up for the final episode. This was my first week waiting for the episode (started last Thursday), I am bitterly disappointed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Mr E wrote: »
    Putting on the brakes with one episode to go was an odd decision.

It really was, wasn't it? Especially after telling us not to pay attention to what people said about murder suspects - at the very least this episode should have come before that, IMO. It actually could have been good to have heard this earlier on. But not now

Maybe it might have seemed like a good idea way back before they began broadcasting, and before it became such a success - maybe related to the Thanksgiving hiatus or something, I don't know (Oh dear, am I even beginning to sound like Sarah Koenig here, with lots of speculation and no answers? ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Seems to me that Sarah has little or no idea how to finish this, I've been listening to this not from the start but near enough and to me the last two episodes have been very poor.
    Can't really see next weeks finally being a revelation at this stage but I suppose what did we really expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

I'm a little disappointed by the episode. I think there were definitely some aspects that were interesting but I thought her interviewing of the expert was very poor and the stuff about
    him stealing
    didn't really matter to much and didn't really warrant taking up as much time as it did.

I definitely got the impression that Koenig is feeling a little guilty about the podcast and how many real people it is affecting when at the end of the day it is very unlikely that anything will come of it. I think it was especially interesting hearing about Adnan's feeling on the podcast and his caution with his wording.

I think the most frustrating thing for me is that it felt like a filler episode, when I would have thought they would be setting up to something for next week. I'm not expecting the story to be wrapped up in a bow or anything but I would have thought there would be some new things left to reveal or it would at least be clear what direction the ending would take.

There's definitely not going to be a final revelation of any sort, that was never on the cards

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭cuculainn

steve_r wrote: »
    Also, unrelated, I'm re-watching the wire atm, and last night it showed them going to Leakin park to look for a body.

Pretty unnerving when you are following a different story about a real person found there.

What episode?? I have just started watching series one

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

keane2097 wrote: »
    There's definitely not going to be a final revelation of any sort, that was never on the cards

No but I did think that we would be given enough information to form an educated opinion but it seems that any real relevant information was given out relatively early and for the past couple of weeks we have been getting spoon fed a load of information that doesn't to me seem to have much relevance.
    Having said that I just can't get past the fact that after the police called he never once tried to contact her to see where she was, in my opinion he was involved in the in the murder at some point, whether he or J were the main offender I don't know but he knew that night that there was no point in trying to contact Hay.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

I'm interested to see if the little snippets of soundbytes heard in the first episode featuring a woman's voice talking about someone who had threatened her will be addressed with only one episode left.

kev1.3s wrote: »
    No but I did think that we would be given enough information to form an educated opinion but it seems that any real relevant information was given out relatively early and for the past couple of weeks we have been getting spoon fed a load of information that doesn't to me seem to have much relevance.
    Having said that I just can't get past the fact that after the police called he never once tried to contact her to see where she was, in my opinion he was involved in the in the murder at some point, whether he or J were the main offender I don't know but he knew that night that there was no point in trying to contact Hay.

As someone said to me the other day we knew after five minutes of ep 1 that either jay did it or adnan did it. We're unsurprisingly in the same spot after 11 episodes and most definitely will still be in that spot after 12.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

I'm going to be the lone voice of dissent here and say that I thought it was a good episode. Maybe it's because I have a background in psychology and am a long term TAL listener and am coming to it from that pov. IME the stories in TAL are more about crafting the narrative and creating an intimate connection to the underpinning emotions and universal truths than pot-boiling plot revelations. I think she's doing her best to walk the line between journalistic integrity and giving people what they want (what is that rumour??) and in doing so is going to leave some people disappointed. I don't think that this thing is going to be wrapped up in a neat little package by next week but hopefully there will be some progression with the case and a follow up at some point. I think that the episode answered a lot of questions that people had- is he playing her and actually a psycho (no...but he isn't being fully open either, understandably); why he isn't flinging blame around, and getting angry with Jay. I also thought it gave a good impression of the impact of his arrest on the wider community. I got the sense that Sarah feels like she's opened a Pandora's box of sorts and her story is causing bigger ripples through peoples lives than she had anticipated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Compu Global Hyper Meganet

Sorry if I'm derailing the thread, but I'm a bit technologically challenged and I was wondering if it might be possible to download episodes onto a USB key. I have gone onto the website, and I know I can play the episodes off that or get an app but it does not mention USB.

I'm hoping to start listening over Christmas, but there is a very poor internet connection back home so ideally I could just save the episodes rather than have a poor stream.

Hope this makes sense!

• Advertisement

Sorry if I'm derailing the thread, but I'm a bit technologically challenged and I was wondering if it might be possible to download episodes onto a USB key. I have gone onto the website, and I know I can play the episodes off that or get an app but it does not mention USB.

I'm hoping to start listening over Christmas, but there is a very poor internet connection back home so ideally I could just save the episodes rather than have a poor stream.

Hope this makes sense!

If you get the podcast app you can save it to 'on the go' for offline listening.

kev1.3s wrote: »

He never said he didn't page her, he didn't remember. He didn't page her from his cellphone, in fact he never did. It was a new phone so she wouldn't have automatically recognised the number. It's far more likely that if he did page her he would have done so from his home phone. Afair from those days pagers either just flashed a number of who called, or had codes that meant a limited range of messages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Compu Global Hyper Meganet

Rosy Posy wrote: »
    If you get the podcast app you can save it to 'on the go' for offline listening.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Hope this makes sense!

If you view the source of the page and search for "mp3", you can get the source files. For example:

Episode 1: http://dts.podtrac.com/redirect.mp3/files.serialpodcast.org/sites/default/files/podcast/serial-s01-e01_0.mp3
    Episode 2: http://dts.podtrac.com/redirect.mp3/files.serialpodcast.org/sites/default/files/podcast/serial-s01-e02.mp3

... and so on. Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

I thought the first few episodes were great, but it hasn't captured my attention as much for the last couple.

It's going to end with more of a whimper than a bang tomorrow I would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Whoo-hoo it's here!

Ep. 12 What We Know

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

That was a good final episode.

I thought it was stunning.
    The serial killer hypothesis just blew me away.
    Also when Adnan got emotional about
    the DNA testing not being done before
    (not sure if this needs to be hidden but better safe than sorry I guess.)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Initially I was disappointed by the final episode but after thinking about it for a while, it's growing on me more and more. My initial disappointment was that it felt a little rushed, especially towards the end. I think Koenig had a big ask to give it any kind of ending and she did it well.

Some scattered thoughts:
    • That little teaser from the very first episode in which a female voice details how she was threatened was not addressed, even to discount it. I think this is odd and possibly for legal/murky reasons.
    "Basically threatened me, like, you know what happened to Hae. This is what’s going to happen to you. That’s how I felt that day".
    • I rolled my eyes when
      the woman from the Innocence Project was talking about the idea of a serial killer to get the dna tested (he was a burglar killer, Hae wasn't sexually assaulted that we know, how would Jay know about the car if a complete stranger did it, etc) until she said "Big Picture, big picture" and I understood that she was using the serial killer idea as a way in, a way to get the dna tested in the first place.

• Advertisement

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    Initially I was disappointed by the final episode but after thinking about it for a while, it's growing on me more and more. My initial disappointment was that it felt a little rushed, especially towards the end. I think Koenig had a big ask to give it any kind of ending and she did it well.

Some scattered thoughts:
    • That little teaser from the very first episode in which a female voice details how she was threatened was not addressed, even to discount it. I think this is odd and possibly for legal/murky reasons.

• I rolled my eyes when
      the woman from the Innocence Project was talking about the idea of a serial killer to get the dna tested (he was a burglar killer, Hae wasn't sexually assaulted that we know, how would Jay know about the car if a complete stranger did it, etc) until she said "Big Picture, big picture" and I understood that she was using the serial killer idea as a way in, a way to get the dna tested in the first place.
    I'd forgot that early bit. You're right, it's strange.

On the second issue, agreed, and I took it also to be because there are a couple of ways
    Jay could have known about the car - one being that someone else could have already called the cops about an abandoned car.
    But obviously Sarah couldn't make that sort of speculation over the radio.

Advertisement