Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC London **16th March 2019**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭celticsfan

Lads was Kavanagh in Gunnis corner last night?? I know Gunni trains at Mjolnir now but for the last few fights Kavanagh was still in his corner... Only seen his dad and Luka Jelcic myself...

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Iano813

celticsfan wrote: »
    Lads was Kavanagh in Gunnis corner last night?? I know Gunni trains at Mjolnir now but for the last few fights Kavanagh was still in his corner... Only seen his dad and Luka Jelcic myself...

No he missed his flight. He apologised on twitter got crucified for it. He was paid his corner fee for Gunni already and chose Cian as his priority this weekend then missed the flight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Reckon Masvidal will fight Edwards either as a fight night headliner now or the undercard of the big July fight week card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Iano813 wrote: »
    No he missed his flight. He apologised on twitter got crucified for it. He was paid his corner fee for Gunni already and chose Cian as his priority this weekend then missed the flight.
    How do you know he was paid his corner fee in advance? And do you know if he got a corner fee for the Phillips fight too?

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭celticsfan

Iano813 wrote: »

Jez,he musta slept :D I was wondering why Luka was offering the corner advice..I don't follow Kavanagh on twitter so didn't see his apology..

• Advertisement

Autecher wrote: »
    How do you know he was paid his corner fee in advance? And do you know if he got a corner fee for the Phillips fight too?

Don't know if he was paid for Johnny. But I know he was for Gunnar. Anyway it was unprofessional to miss a flight then to mix up a change over when you've 2 men on a main card of an event. Most corner men will travel with fighters well unless you monopolise and go from card to card landing 5 hours before a fight.

celticsfan wrote: »
    Jez,he musta slept :D I was wondering why Luka was offering the corner advice..I don't follow Kavanagh on twitter so didn't see his apology..

Yeah second round he was in disarray looked to the corner for advice on Leon wrestling exchanges and there wasn't even a shout back. Crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭Esse85

Did Till give any interview yet?

Esse85 wrote: »

I've been searching high an low

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIzliAlX0ps
    Dan Hardy / BT Sport post event recap - guest starring a near mute John Kavanagh. Prob jet lagged in fairness.

• Advertisement

Where does Gunnar go from here? Against top 10-15 he can't seem to set up any kind of a streak. Win one, lose one. He's lost 4 of his last 8.

If they keep him against this level of opponent I think he keeps doing more of the same. Win one, lose one.

He's a quality fighter but just not at the level necessary to string 3 or 4 impressive wins together and get a title shot. He's also not marketable enough to get a title shot coming off a short streak (or to have a streak engineered for him via favourable matchmaking).

He's only 30 so he has a few years left. But with his training setup I don't see him getting any better. Maybe he should ask to be released and go to Bellator ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

I know the rankings are nonsense but the fact is when he fights anyone ranked above him in the top 15 he mostly loses. He keeps his hands very low which cost him badly against Ponzinibbio eye poke or not, and he invited that elbow in last night by doing the same thing. I think (though my memory isn't great on it) that Oliveira knocked him down too? This tweet from Kavanagh says a lot to me, it's great he has this confidence in Gunni but fix his flaws too. Win or learn?

https://twitter.com/John_Kavanagh/status/1071912093438369792

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Esse85 wrote: »

I'm sure he will once he comes around

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Legend has it Till is still asleep

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

Gunni is a 165 candidate, I think that's where he goes from here...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

martyos121 wrote: »
    Some quality crowd reactions to that KO:

475664.jpeg

:pac:

2FB0CAAF00000578-0-image-a-35_1451516956178.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Gunni should go to lightweight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

Beersmith wrote: »
    Gunni should go to lightweight.

I'd have to agree with you.

The guy is tiny compared to all of his opponents.

And unfortunately for him, the higher up the rankings he goes, the more that weight difference plays a part.

You'd imagine he can make 155 rather easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

I'd have to agree with you.

The guy is tiny compared to all of his opponents.

And unfortunately for him, the higher up the rankings he goes, the more that weight difference plays a part.

You'd imagine he can make 155 rather easily.

He does look like he's packed on muscle of late, however - IIRC he was working with new strength and conditioning coach. I think in this shape he'd do well at 165. But yes, until that materialises, he'd likely be better optimising for 155.

He does look like he's packed on muscle of late, however - IIRC he was working with new strength and conditioning coach. I think in this shape he'd do well at 165. But yes, until that materialises, he'd likely be better optimising for 155.

I've also seen him eating lunch in a cafe on the long mile road, maybe 3 weeks out from a fight. And I can confirm he had a desert.

I'm not a slave driver, but a guy cutting weight should not be eating Mars bar brownies that close to a weigh in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

A guy cutting weight should not be eating Mars bar brownies that close to a weigh in.

No one should ever be eating mars bar brownies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

If he can healthily make 155 then go for it. Otherwise waiting it out for 165 is the way to go.

Effects wrote: »
    No one should ever be eating mars bar brownies.

But they're really tasty, and I wasn't in fight camp. I swear ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 17,978 ✭✭✭✭rob316

D.Q wrote: »
    Was there last night. Good night of fights. Not a whole lot of finishes. Some strange endings/decisions and home town fighters losing kind of dampened the mood in the arena I felt.

As an aside, the bar staff in the O2 are by far the most gormless, useless lazy shower of gob****es. Any bar I was at seemed to be full of the same vacant eyed morons moving at a snails pace.

The whole thing was a shambles. Slowly pulling pints as they are ordered. Have them pre pulled and ready to go like at any festival etc queues were a disgrace.

The worst, bad enough your paying £7 for a pint. The pints were pre-pulled they were just so slow. None of them ever worked in a bar with the pace they were moving at. Really pissed me off, spent way too much time in q's.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

rob316 wrote: »
    Really pissed me off, spent way too much time in q's.

Could you just not have bothered with more pints after the first experience was so shït?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,978 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Could you just not have bothered with more pints after the first experience was so shït?

I like beer though and I have a drinking problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Could you just not have bothered with more pints after the first experience was so sh

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,522 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Any sign of Till yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,356 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

The Nal wrote: »
    Any sign of Till yet?

Probably spending time with his family (kids)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭selassie

Edwards 7 wins since his last loss to the current champion. Gunnar will never break the top 10 at 170 imo only guy he would beat is Santiago in a rematch where eyepokes aren't allowed.

Advertisement