Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC London **16th March 2019**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

martyos121 wrote: »
    it would have to be quite extreme to justify throwing hooks at the lad.

It wouldn't have to be at all. The lad has spent his life fighting, from backyard brawls to UFC. They are fighters still pumped up from their earlier fights. Edwards definitely want expecting that reaction though. Masvidal got 5 punches in before Edwards barely raised a hand to defend himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

You conveniently left out the rest of my post. Is it because it contradicts what you said? Probably.

I find it funny when people impose their own civilised sensibilities on those who come from a completely different background and upbringing.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,375 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Whelo79 wrote: »
    It wouldn't have to be at all. The lad has spent his life fighting, from backyard brawls to UFC. They are fighters still pumped up from their earlier fights. Edwards definitely want expecting that reaction though. Masvidal got 5 punches in before Edwards barely raised a hand to defend himself.

Yeah I mean I get why he did it, I’m just saying it’s not going to benefit him in any way. I’m all for standing up for oneself when it’s called for, but I’d like to know what Edwards said to him before I say any more on it. Again, not condemning Jorge right away, despite how some may interpret my post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

ASOT wrote: »
    Low fight IQ rather than being overrated imo.
    Fight IQ is part of being a fighter its an ability in itself, Till is lacking, Till is overrated !

it’s not going to benefit him in any way.

Absolutely it will. He will be all over social media. He just KO'd Till and then got in a scrap backstage. His stock has shot up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 Iano813

Absolutely it will. He will be all over social media. He just KO'd Till and then got in a scrap backstage. His stock has shot up.

He's pretty much starched #3 and #10 in the one night. Next up Marty.

Pac1Man wrote: »
    I find it funny when people impose their own civilised sensibilities on those who come from a completely different background and upbringing.

I find it funny when people pick and choose a couple of words from a post to start an argument and ignore the parts that don’t suit their agenda.

You know very well that I meant what I said in the context of his career and professional life (it’s literally the very next words after the ones you quoted),not how it’s in his DNA as a street fighter. As I already said, I get why he did it, I just want to know what caused that reaction. If Edwards insulted his family or threatened him in any way or anything nasty along those lines, then hats off to Masvidal, I wouldn’t blame him. I understand the “talk shît, get hît” viewpoint to a degree, but it’d be good to know what instigated that sort of reaction before glorifying Masvidal for it.

Not interested in a petty argument with you about this because you’re arguing a point that I never made. It was a great card from what I saw of it and I’d like to remember it for what happened inside the octagon. Masvidal is a proper contender in that wrestler-heavy division now, he brings something very different to the table, definitely has to fight Edwards next.

Iano813 wrote: »
    He's pretty much starched #3 and #10 in the one night. Next up Marty.

Hope you’re talking about Marty from Nebraska, I don’t want none of that! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Really enjoyable main event. Wanted to see another few round of that but wow what a knockout. Till didn’t move for five minutes.

Wanted Gunnar to win but he ran out of ideas fast. Edwards had a good gameplay and avoided trouble until the very end.

Duffy looked really bad after the layoff.

• Advertisement

That’s what I feared might happen. You can get arrested in the UK for a lot less than that even. Hopefully it doesn’t come to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Gooden mentioned Masvidal just came off a reality TV show?

Looks like he was in another one after that fight the way he Punk'd Edwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Masvidal gets usman next according to ali

• Registered Users Posts: 48 cashcow

Just back now from the O2,obviously the silence was unreal when Till got sparked. The clock ran out for Gunni, the whole crowd was behind him it was some atmosphere. I don't know what it is with Joe Duffy I just feel he's too hesitant like he's being overly cautious. Ben Askren is a hero,well able for the banter and happy to take pictures only for security rushing him in and out. Jorge vs Who next?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

I'm sure Till is an OK guy.

But he comes across as an absolute moron in interviews.

I also couldn't understand how he was ranked so high when in reality he just beat Cerrone, who is a pumped up lightweight. And Thompson by split decision.

He's completely overrated, terrible talker. And clearly cuts far too much weight as well.

He needs to move up to 185 now.

I'm no expert, but surely he can't carry any power dropping all that weight?

As for Masvidal that guy is a stud. No bull****, just come to scrap.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,997 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I was there last night and the placed was absolutely stunned when masvidal caught him. The silence and everyone just headed for the exit. Till was out cold, no movement at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Masvidals stock has absolutely skyrockect, social media is flooded with him. Every comment section on anything from last night. I'd say Dana's delighted

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Remember when Duffy was the betting favourite over Poirier.

Jaysus.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭Esse85

I'm sure Till is an OK guy.

But he comes across as an absolute moron in interviews.

I also couldn't understand how he was ranked so high when in reality he just beat Cerrone, who is a pumped up lightweight. And Thompson by split decision.

He's completely overrated, terrible talker. And clearly cuts far too much weight as well.

He needs to move up to 185 now.

I'm no expert, but surely he can't carry any power dropping all that weight?

As for Masvidal that guy is a stud. No bull****, just come to scrap.

He reminds me so much of Tony Bellew in interviews and I really can't stand him.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,593 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Delighted Till got KTFO. Overrated and a prat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Was there last night. Good night of fights. Not a whole lot of finishes. Some strange endings/decisions and home town fighters losing kind of dampened the mood in the arena I felt.

As an aside, the bar staff in the O2 are by far the most gormless, useless lazy shower of gob****es. Any bar I was at seemed to be full of the same vacant eyed morons moving at a snails pace.

The whole thing was a shambles. Slowly pulling pints as they are ordered. Have them pre pulled and ready to go like at any festival etc queues were a disgrace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Jorge was great last night, got stung a few times but kept coming forward and was great on the break from the clinch.

Till has to be draining himself too much to make that weight, he looked 2 weight classes bigger than Jorge and was blowing through his arse by the end of the first round. He has to go up to 185, he's in the same boat as the likes do Whittaker, yeah he can make 170 but it's not what he should be doing and it's limiting what he can do in the cage, going up will be much better for him I think.

Joe got stung by the leg kicks early and that limited both his movement and his ability to stand in the pocket and as a result was always too cautious because he was worried about Daikaise doing spinny ****, he needs to stop being so heavy on the lead leg, it's just going to get chewed up every fight. But I dunno if that can be trained out of him because his strongest skill set is his boxing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

mangobob wrote: »
    The weird thing is, I knew Gamebred was tough but I was watching Till taking his shots and thinking "he doesnt respect his power". I really thought if anyone was gonna get knocked out it was Masvidal. Then a couple of minutes later kersplat. Incredible.

There are a few knockouts that really stick in my mind. The last one I saw that looked that spectacular was Brown vs Sanchez but this one tonight is right up there with the best. Even looking at the replays I still wince.

Ngannu on overreem was pretty sick too. Anyone have a link to the KO?(if not allowed PM) I usually cant avoid clips but can't find any for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,593 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Ngannu on overreem was pretty sick too. Anyone have a link to the KO?(if not allowed PM) I usually cant avoid clips but can't find any for this.
    https://twitter.com/JobanyXudo/status/1107056284870811648?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

In the Molly McCann fight Cachoeira appeared to take a cheap shot when McCann looked to touch gloves when she returned from the doctor's eye inspection. Referee Rich Mitchell stopped the fight to rebuke Cachoeira. Why did he do this?. Its in the rules that when the ref says fight you defend yourself at all times and the hand touch is an unwritten rule between fighters to honor. So it would have been clearly within the rules albeit bad sportswomen ship if it landed.
    He said im not going to deduct a point(oh how nice of him!). But would he even have authority to deduct a point for this and if so for what?.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,905 ✭✭✭cletus

califano wrote: »
    In the Molly McCann fight Cachoeira appeared to take a cheap shot when McCann looked to touch gloves when she returned from the doctor's eye inspection. Referee Rich Mitchell stopped the fight to rebuke Cachoeira. Why did he do this?. Its in the rules that when the ref says fight you defend yourself at all times and the hand touch is an unwritten rule between fighters to honor. So it would have been clearly within the rules albeit bad sportswomen ship if it landed.
    He said im not going to deduct a point(oh how nice of him!). But would he even have authority to deduct a point for this and if so for what?.

Was he the same ref in the Roberts Silva fight?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

califano wrote: »

Isn't there a rule about "Unsportsmanlike conduct potentially causing harm to your opponent" or something?

Such a scumbag move!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

Esse85 wrote: »
    He reminds me so much of Tony Bellew in interviews and I really can't stand him.

100% thinks he's Tony bellew. And funnily enough, looks as gaunt and gangly as Tony did when he boxed at light heavy.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,985 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Esse85 wrote: »

Compared to Till, Bellew is like fooking Santa Claus..

Very very unlikable twat....

Delighted he got KTFO; he is so overrated. His WW showing vs Woodley was absolute pathetic..

Why on earth does he think he’s good....?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

Anybody else notice a marked difference in Tills physique last night, say compared to the Cowboy fight? Was sure he looked softer and less defined last night.

Advertisement