Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Capital Gains

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,785 ✭✭✭✭JRant

If they were all red card offenses then O'Connor should have been shown the libe for a similar challenge on one of our lads at the sideline and O'Shea should absolutely have been shown a red for running on the pitch and starting a fight. Not to mention the amount of deliberate pull downs that Lane let go to stop Dublin counterattacking. Then we had Scully booked for being wrestled to the ground trying to make space on one of our kickouts. But sure, it's all about the dirty dubs for some people.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭rolling boh

There are a good number of posters who only get involved when it's a Dublin player involved they have nothing to say when other county players are involved .County bias is very strong so no point in trying to debate anything with them .

Not only did Moran do it but the following week Cody manhandled a linesman during the Kilkenny game and not a word from anyone about it.

It's easy to understand why so many players have walked away from the panel over the past couple of years as they get zero protection from refs. They are constantly fouled and it seems very hard for them to win a free. Yet when they tackle in the same manner the ref blows up straight away. Look at the Flynn goal a couple of weeks ago. Frontal shoulder charge on the defender (that could have seriously hurt him) yet nothing but accolades for a great goal.

As a fan I'm completely lost as to what rules apply when we play as it seems to depend entirely on the colour of the jersey. As a player it must be absolutely infuriating.

Take Saturday again. It's been a theme all summer for teams to fouls us off the ball with late shoulders of pushes after a player gives a pass to stop them supporting the ball carrier. Has it been picked up by any official, has it fook. Yet one of our lads gets a black card in extra time for laying off a hand pass and holding his line while a Mayo players runs straight in to him and starts holding his face like he was shot.

To be perfectly honest, I've a pain in my face with the football and GAA in general. As someone who's played at a daycent level since a kid I'd rather watch the club games now. Intercounty is eating itself with stupid rules and awful officiating.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

You don't have to go back over 20 years matey, you've been on this site since 2015, both those incidents were around 2019. Not a peep from you. Were you not thinking of the children back then? 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I rarely post in the GAA forum to be honest but if I was on in 2019 I would have said the same about any other county. Just admit it that your team have dirty players and call them out when you see them punching players and elbowing them, no need to be defensive about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭corny

That's right. I had forgotten about Cody!

This is what the Dublin thread https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2057749751/dublin-gaa-discussion-thread-capital-punishment/p219 said about Morgan's shoulder. Notice the absence of outrage.

Slattsy actually forecast what would happen if a Dub transgressed in a similar manner. All too predictable.

"As I say with a lot of these incidents.... if that was Cluxton....

Can you imagine the <s>genuine</s> outrage. :rolleyes:"

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Who's defensive? Perhaps you should consider reverting back to your habit of posting rarely here so you don't look silly with these low level efforts.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,314 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

That is fairly evident and obvious they are looking for a 'reaction' basically for a bit of craic or to release a bit of pent up frustration. Ewan McKenna (for example) has managed to carve out a living for himself using the same tactics. And it is those people/posters who lap up his statements as 'gospel'. Without any critical analysis of such statements in any meaningful way that make McKenna's form of 'one trick - sensationalist journalism' sustainable.

People who gripe about the Dubs all of a sudden on this thread who were never seen before amuse me more so than anything. It is just a result of the negative aspects of social media. And the psychology of some users when they use it. It is anonymous no consequences to their actions. In 'real life' they would not shout the same stuff across the road.

--

Anyway enough of that auld guff. There is more important GAA stuff on the horizon.

I am already looking forwards to the Dublin club championships. Specifically the football. I normally look for games I think will be close - or a 'glamour' tie, as well as keeping an eye on my own club.

https://www.dublingaa.ie/news/2021-go-ahead-dublin-club-championship-draws

I hope the crowds with be allowed back in decent numbers. As there seem to be no outbreaks from the CP games.

Hopefully, a few lads will show a bit about them, and Dessie Farrell can pick 4/5 young hungry young lads to freshen the squad up. I don't know where Mattie Kenny is going to find a hurling forward though.

I think a another poster already suggested a few days ago that it would be nice if Con O'C switched to the Dublin senior hurlers. Since the Dubin footballers run is over etc.

You would think with the Cuala connection that Mattie Kenny would have a chance of convincing Con? I wonder has Mattie even considered having a chat with him about it?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭pgj2015

You are. You look worse by not just admitting the Dublin team have a problem with playing the game in a fair sporting manner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Folks, My long departed Grandfather once gave me some great advice, he said "never argue with a man of lesser intelligence than yourself, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience". I think we could all take that advice regarding some of our newer posters in this thread. I've posted my congrats to Mayo in the Mayo thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭gourcuff

when people say there was no outrage about the morgan hit on andrews, they do realise that google exists dont they? there was loads of outrage at the time..

I tell you what's noticable as well. The Dublin management team don't do enough to highlight the treatment of our players on a regular basis. They just seem to shrug their shoulders and accept it. They need to be a lot more vocal and start highlighting it in interviews.

There's not a single bit of outrage in that piece so what's your point exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭muddle84

The bottom line is its a contact sport and accidents happen, I don't think for a second Small meant to do the damage that was done, but its a contact sport and **** happens!

In my opinion the only outrage should be about the referee, it was a clear head injury and as McConville pointed out both Deegan and Lane were close by at the time and the play should have been stopped.

I wouldn't be too hard on the ref for that one. With the amount of face clutching going on it's impossible to know when a real incident took place.

He hit the ground without even putting his hands out. He was clearly out of it and badly injured right in front of the ref and linesman. An absolute ass could see he was injured and not pretending. Your posts are well beyond bias at this point and your sounding foolish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭muddle84

Hindsight is a great thing and its very different in the heat of battle and all that but the way he goes down instantly without curling up and dropping the ball made it obvious he was badly hurt. I know you didn't mean it literally, but he didn't even clutch his face! My first thought was he was unconscious at the time. But I accept that its not an easy call to make in a split second. Deegan saw it head on though, he should have seen head contact!

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭newuser99999

It’s plain as day to see that something was seriously wrong when Eoghan was hit. Anyone who says otherwise is simply choosing not to see it.

Fact is that in a very high profile match the Dublin player John Small lined up McLaughlin for a very heavy shoulder challenge.

Small would have seen on his approach that McLaughiln was receiving a pass from an angle that meant that McLaughlin would be completely unsighted to Small's challenge so Small could have "altered" his impact to take account of this but he didn't.

Small also knew on impact that it certainly wasn't shoulder-to-shoulder and that McLaughlin was in trouble but played on as if nothing happened, took the ball off the ground beside the prone McLaughlin, stormed up the field a bit and passed on!

Double-jaw fracture for McLaughlin results from an impact that he didn't see coming. Surgery required. Drinking through a straw and a yogurt and ice-cream diet for McLaughlin.

Then to add to the headlines you have in the very same match you have Small's brother clotheslining a Mayo player earlier on with a strike to the neck.

People can refer to other incidents in prior matches against Dublin players but in a match that was very notable for Mayo coming back and winning these incidents from two Dublin players who are brothers are going to hitting a much larger audience than normal so it's not a good look for Dublin.

This angle is particularly damming (plays from timestamp)

• Advertisement

Neither of the officials at the time thought there was something seriously wrong otherwise they would have reacted differently. That is not a Dublin problem, but refereeing human error on the day.

Is this ref error going to eclipse all others (in the minds of some) even the decision Seamus Aldridge did in the 1978 game v Kerry (Sheehy's goal), or Jimmy Cooney blowing up too early in the hurling AI SF between Clare and Offaly?

It seems you have already made your mind up there in the first few sentences. 'John Small lined up lined up with a VERY heavy shoulder challenge'

Small WOULD, Small SHOULD etc, Small COULD. Small KNEW etc.

You have already set in your mind that it was premeditated by Small to go out and injure E Mcloughlin. Was it slo mo you were looking at? The ref did not even pay heed to it in the heat of battle neither did Deegan.

Then you continue on to get a further dig in at 'John Small's brother' as you refer to him as. You might as well tar the whole family sure. I am glad you are not a judge in a court of law. No mention of any of the other goings on in the match - Philly's torn jersey, Aidan O'Shea repeatedly illegally entering the field of play etc.

I know history is written by the winners but your post is taking the biscuit. A completely one sided blinkered view from start to finish and you complete the post with - 'not a good look for Dublin' just to put the cherry on top of it for yourself.

"nice" angle here

Says it all in a couple of seconds

Could see that McLaughlin was totally unsighted and smashed him in the face with his shoulder

There is no defence for this, anywhere.

Ah but sure Philly had his jersey ripped hahahahhaha

And what speed is it? Slo Mo.

You have probably gone to bed dreaming about that challenge having watched it so much. It happened much faster than that in real time. But sure sure why let the truth get in the way of a good story?

Now was your chance to get your digs in online about the 'Dirty Dubs'. You have waited for all this time. It was your chance you have taken it. Unlike John Small your 'dig' is completely premeditated and calculated to inflict maximum annoyance to others who have to read a one sided viewpoint with little or no nuance. Tar John Small and tar Paddy Small as well while you are at it.

Well done.... clap clap clap

Why is that funny that post above reads very juvenile like? Does it not indicate rule breaking and rough play?

I don't drink coffee. I doubt you are even a 'GAA man' to be honest. Not the type of genuine salt of the earth supporter - that anyone would want to be sitting beside during a match anyway.

Because comparing someone’s jaw being broken in two places and requiring surgery to a jersey being ripped is comical.

• Advertisement

I never compared the two that is your own bias. It was in response to a previous poster (who you are now in cahoots with) implying all the wrongdoing was on Dublin's side.

I also mentioned that Aidan O'Shea entered the field of play illegally repeatedly. It would have been very ironic if Hennelly had scored the first free but it had to be retaken because of too many Mayo lads on the pitch, and then he missed it.

I doubt you are even from Mayo and are just enjoying a wind up to kill time. But surely you can be a small bit more mature and grown up about it. Dare I say even witty? Or is it just juvenile level stuff dressed up as 'banter'?

Advertisement