Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and Intercounty) Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Kevin Fahey, Bill Maher, Colin O'Riordan and Conor Sweeney nominated for All-Stars.
    Bill maybe a little lucky to get the nod over Kiely for me.

Quinlivin definitely unlucky when you see Clifford has been included for the losing effort Vs Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Big Ears wrote: »
    Kevin Fahey, Bill Maher, Colin O'Riordan and Conor Sweeney nominated for All-Stars.

Quinlivin definitely unlucky when you see Clifford has been included for the losing effort Vs Cork.

Deffo. That was the worst game I have seen Clifford play.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭johnb25

Big Ears wrote: »

Clifford did score well leading Kerry to the League title, so that probably pulled him through. Quinlivan probably a bit unlucky but given he has one already, and Tipp already have 4 nominations probably made it easier to leave him out.

Tynan is big and strong... do management maybe see him as a direct replacement for the Bonnar?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

Any word on who's in line for the minor hurling job?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Tynan is big and strong... do management maybe see him as a direct replacement for the Bonnar?
    He's not that big. 6' and 80 ish kg.
    Will be interesting what role he will play if he plays a few games.

He's not that big. 6' and 80 ish kg.
    Will be interesting what role he will play if he plays a few games.

6 foot is fairly big. Perhaps not Gearoid Hegarty big, but big enough.

6 foot is fairly big. Perhaps not Gearoid Hegarty big, but big enough.
    Its about average height for players these days. This study is from few years ago but wont be far off what it is now
    https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/02640414.2015.1085076?journalCode=rjsp20
    And 80kg is about average as well for inter county players

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭formerlyET

At 19, 2017, Tynan was down at

Position: Fullback/Outhalf

Height: 5’11

Weight: 12st 10lb

I'd imagine he is closer to 90kg now than 80 - unless he neglected the gym and has been on a strict diet since giving up rugby. I'm not saying he hasn't but I'd be surprised if he wasn't closer to 90kg than 80kg. A man tends to have a bigger frame at 23 than 19.

formerlyET wrote: »
    At 19, 2017, Tynan was down at

Position: Fullback/Outhalf

Height: 5’11

Weight: 12st 10lb

I'd imagine he is closer much closer to 90kg now than 80 - unless he neglected the gym and has been on a strict diet since giving up rugby. I'm not saying he hasn't but I'd be surprised if he wasn't closer to 90kg than 80kg. A man tends to have a bigger frame at 23 than 19.

Even 90kg isnt exactly huge.
    https://www.sportsjoe.ie/gaa/match-programmes-weight-height-measures-players-shows-surprising-imbalance-132884

• Advertisement

Its about average height for players these days. This study is from few years ago but wont be far off what it is now
    https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/02640414.2015.1085076?journalCode=rjsp20
    And 80kg is about average as well for inter county players

Okay, but besides the point, i can only imagine that he is fairly hardy from playing rugby. Used to rucks, anticipating turnovers, reading the breaks.

Maybe this can transfer over to his hurling? As the game becomes more congested in the middle, we need ball winners and Bonnar has perhaps 1, maybe 2 seasons left max (as well as that he may not be a starter)

I didn't say he was huge. Never mentioned it.

I didn't say he was huge. Never mentioned it.

Gunner first mentioned him as big and strong. I merely pointed out he isnt that big. If he was 6'3/6'4 and a few kgs heavier then you claim he was but he isnt.
    He's fairly average size for a hurler

Gunner first mentioned him as big and strong. I merely pointed out he isnt that big. If he was 6'3/6'4 and a few kgs heavier then you claim he was but he isnt.
    He's fairly average size for a hurler

Then why are you tagging me in points you want to make to Gunner?

What recent games have you seen Tynan hurl in?

Okay, but besides the point, i can only imagine that he is fairly hardy from playing rugby. Used to rucks, anticipating turnovers, reading the breaks.

Maybe this can transfer over to his hurling? As the game becomes more congested in the middle, we need ball winners and Bonnar has perhaps 1, maybe 2 seasons left max (as well as that he may not be a starter)
    Just because you played rugby even to pro level doesnt make you hardy or anything near good at ball winning in hurling. Very big if to say it can transfer to hurling
    Then why are you tagging me in points you want to make to Gunner?

What recent games have you seen Tynan hurl in?
    I didnt tag you in anything and i was referencing your post so why wouldnt i quote him?
    Have only seen odd video highlight clip of him hurling recently.

Have only seen odd video highlight clip of him hurling recently.

Exactly.

Just because you played rugby even to pro level doesnt make you hardy or anything near good at ball winning in hurling. Very big if to say it can transfer to hurling

Only time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭benji79

I’ve seen a former Munster pro line out in some hurling games for his club a few years back. Now a bit different because he’d been 10+ years away from hurling. But the biggest thing was he couldn’t move, it seemed to be a totally different type of fitness & conditioning. He was strong as an ox but his hurling was slow and predictable

Billy McCarthy back in...
    Hurling training panel for 2021:

Alan Flynn, Alan Tynan
    Barry Heffernan, Barry Hogan, Billy McCarthy,

Billy Seymour, Brian Hogan,Brendan Maher, Brian McGrath,

Bryan O'Mara, Cathal Barrett, Cian Darcy,

Craig Morgan, Dan McCormack, Dylan Quirke, Eoghan Connolly,

Ger Browne, Jake Morris, James Quigley, Jason Forde,

John McGrath, John Meagher, John O'Dwyer, Mark Kehoe,

Michael Breen, Niall O'Meara, Noel McGrath,

Paddy Cadell, Patrick Maher, Paraic Maher,

Paul Flynn, Paul Maher, Robert Byrne,

Ronan Maher, Seamie Callanan, Seamus Kennedy, Willie Connors.

Is there any reason that Byrne's is still there other than his club? Cian Darcy still there and Bowe or Ormonde not involved.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Bill Ponderosa

Rasputin11 wrote: »
    Is there any reason that Byrne's is still there other than his club? Cian Darcy still there and Bowe or Ormonde not involved.

Bowe didn't go great for the under 20's and has gone in with the footballers, Ormonde was good but he's very light for senior.

Surprised to see Billy back, thought his knee went again?

Surprised to see Billy back, thought his knee went again?

His knee did go again recently. That must be the third time?

It is just a training panel... but if you're Jerry Kelly you must be scratching your head. What was it six points from play in all-ireland club final? And you can't make a training squad...

I hear Jerome Cahill can't juggle the demands of being in Dublin and accountancy with the demands of intercounty - that's a real shame. A fantastic hurler.

Rasputin11 wrote: »

Don't fancy Trigger or Byrne?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Hopefully ormonds time will come, seems like a player who can make things happen. Downside of swiitch from 21 to 20 is players now have a bit of a lull in their inter county development, ideally you'd like to see them have another year but thems the rules, as they say. I like cian darcy too, or bits i've seen of him. If he could be more consistent i imagine he has a chance. Maybe behind the likes of quirke though who have more natural flair.

Don't fancy Trigger or Byrne?

Neither of them anywhere near the standard but from the right clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Paddico

Was hoping Tynan would pick football

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Paddico

8 players drafted into the senior football training panel.

Anyone have the list of players.
    Thanks

Pad

Moyne-Templetuohy’s Conor Bowe, Conor O’Sullivan of Galtee Rovers, a corner back on the All-Ireland-winning minor team in 2011; Kuba Beben of JK Brackens, last year’s county U20 goalkeeper; Grangemockler’s Mark O’Meara; Liam Ryan of Clonmel Commercials; Shane O’Connell of Golden/Kilfeacle; Moyle Rovers’ Stephen Quirke; Shane Ryan of Galtee Rovers and Tom Meade, Moyne-Templetuohy.

Has anyone seen much of Luke Cashin or Darragh Tynan?

• Advertisement

His knee did go again recently. That must be the third time?

It is just a training panel... but if you're Jerry Kelly you must be scratching your head. What was it six points from play in all-ireland club final? And you can't make a training squad...

I hear Jerome Cahill can't juggle the demands of being in Dublin and accountancy with the demands of intercounty - that's a real shame. A fantastic hurler.

Id have Gerry in myself, but id say his physical condition is coming against him. He is deceptively able to get around the pitch though. Was terrific for Borris.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement