Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Dominance of Dublin GAA *Mod warning post#1*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Enquiring

Strumms wrote: »
    Ultimately if people can’t beat a strong Dublin team, let’s weaken the strong Dublin team, load of ... crapola :)that’s the agenda.

100 titles across the board post funding. As described by high ranking Dublin GAA officials; all areas of Dublin GAA have reaped the benefits of the paid coaches.

tritium wrote: »
    You showed who got what from all the extra millions that aren't in the county allocation you posted?

Yes. All other counties got funding for between 1 to 6 coaches. Millions sounds like a lot but when divided by 31, it isn't. Millions for one county is a lot.

yet oddly enough Nickey Brennan was spouting the same 'anecdotes' back in 2005 having examined the books of counties who had received games development funding. Are you calling him a liar?

You are talking about a completely different anecdote. Other counties were getting very little in games development funding but if they were spending it on other things then that was wrong, why would you think otherwise?

This doesn't have any impact on the fact that it was also wrong for Dublin to receive far more funding than everyone else. You won't be able to admit to this obvious fact, however.

And you cant ignore millions in unaccounted for Games Development funding that doesn't suit your argument

I haven't. This has got to be about the 10th time I've answered this exact same comment from you. You're like that guy who kept going on about hurling despite having his point destroyed time and again.

The millions you're talking about breaks down to between 1 and 6 coaches per county.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭tritium

Enquiring wrote: »
    Yes. All other counties got funding for between 1 to 6 coaches. Millions sounds like a lot but when divided by 31, it isn't. Millions for one county is a lot.

Should every county get the same under your proposals? Do Leitrim get the same as Mayo for example? How do you propose to allocate the money?

I haven't. This has got to be about the 10th time I've answered this exact same comment from you. You're like that guy who kept going on about hurling despite having his point destroyed time and again.

The millions you're talking about breaks down to between 1 and 6 coaches per county.

Ah I see so you’re saying that pays for the 118 coaches for the rest of Leinster for example. That’s presumably in addition to the funding the counties got directly, since its a much bigger sum. And who pays for the 65 or so (55% of the rest of Leinster total) coaches for dublin?

Should every county get the same under your proposals? Do Leitrim get the same as Mayo for example? How do you propose to allocate the money?

No, all counties wouldn't get the same. An analysis would have to be done for each county and a plan drawn up of what's needed to develop hurling and football. More football officers may be needed in Kilkenny, more hurling in Mayo for example. Appointments of personel to oversee it and be answerable for the progress will be essential.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭tikkahunter

More anecdotes. Lacking in any factual evidence.

Go and ask for a look at your counties finances and scan them. You will get your factual evidence there. Then to justify each expense.

Ah I see so you’re saying that pays for the 118 coaches for the rest of Leinster for example. That’s presumably in addition to the funding the counties got directly, since its a much bigger sum. And who pays for the 65 or so (55% of the rest of Leinster total) coaches for dublin?

Again, you're talking about recent developments. The East Leinster project is a few years old. This accounts for most of the extra coaches. This was also apart of the plan drawn up by the strategic review committee in 2002. Why should 4 counties get access to these coaches above every other county in the country?

As I say though, tackling that now would be like tackling the unbalanced funding for Dublin in 2005. It's gone way to far in Dublin's case. Again, you can't write off near 2 decades of funding disparity.

• Advertisement

Go and ask for a look at your counties finances and scan them. You will get your factual evidence there. Then to justify each expense.

Other counties county boards being incompetent is irrelevant to the issue under discussion. This is not to say it's untrue, it's just irrelevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

Other counties county boards being incompetent is irrelevant to the issue under discussion. This is not to say it's untrue, it's just irrelevant.

What county board will you be bringing your findings to?

As you've correctly suggested we should do in our respective counties. I'll be asking my club in Meath to bring up the funding issue and see can it be spread more evenly when we have our AGM.

Again, you're talking about recent developments. The East Leinster project is a few years old. This accounts for most of the extra coaches. This was also apart of the plan drawn up by the strategic review committee in 2002. Why should 4 counties get access to these coaches above every other county in the country?

As I say though, tackling that now would be like tackling the unbalanced funding for Dublin in 2005. It's gone way to far in Dublin's case. Again, you can't write off near 2 decades of funding disparity.

Pretty sure that doesn’t answer the question I asked....

Pretty sure that doesn’t answer the question I asked....

In fairness, you've been unable or unwilling to answer the majority of questions posed to you and then you continue to ask questions already answered multiple times.

So let's get some answers. How can you justify Dublin receiving funding for one development officer for nearly every club while Cork received funding for 6? Cork have far more clubs than Dublin and about half their population.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭ooter

Away championship games Dublin senior footballers have played since 2006.
    Laois, June 2016.
    Carlow, June 2017.
    Wicklow, June 2018.
    Tyrone, July 2018.
    Louth, May 2019.
    Tyrone, August 2019.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

ooter wrote: »
    Laois, June 2016.
    Carlow, June 2017.
    Wicklow, June 2018.
    Tyrone, July 2018.
    Louth, May 2019.
    Tyrone, August 2019.

Jez, that's shocking. 6 in 14 years.
    None of those were knockout were they?

• Advertisement

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Jez, that's shocking. 6 in 14 years.
    None of those were knockout were they?

Only 2 of them were away games!!

Ok.

In fairness, you've been unable or unwilling to answer the majority of questions posed to you and then you continue to ask questions already answered multiple times.

So let's get some answers. How can you justify Dublin receiving funding for one development officer for nearly every club while Cork received funding for 6? Cork have far more clubs than Dublin and about half their population.

I’m intrigued, exactly how many development officers do you allege have been supplied for dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭paul0103

Ok.

Correct, only 2 away games (vs Tyrone). All others were played at neutral venues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

Laois, June 2016.
    Carlow, June 2017.
    Wicklow, June 2018.
    Tyrone, July 2018.
    Louth, May 2019.
    Tyrone, August 2019.

In fairness.

Laois, Nowlan Park. Neutral.
    Carlow, Portlaoise. Neutral.
    Wicklow, Portlaois. Neutral.
    Tyrone, Omagh. Away
    Louth, Portlaoise. Neutral. And an odd one dragging Louth all the way down to Laois.
    Tyrone, Omagh. Away.

As much as I dont particularly agree with Enquiring, that's a total of 2 away games and 4 neutral venues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Only 2 of them were away games!!

Let’s break it down for you...

A ‘venue’ and its choice is not about the teams but the fans mostly.

Like if U2 are playing a one off gig here next month, would it be wrong of them to choose Croke Park ? No, of course not...

Of course you could choose The Cork Opera House but I think the idea is, give as many people the opportunity to see and enjoy.

Say next years Leinster final is between Dublin and Meath... the demand for tickets from both sides will be ensuring it’s a sell out..76,534 people in attendance or close.... is the right thing to do say that...” sure another home game for Dublin, fûck that, play it in Páirc Tailteann ? Around 32,000 in attendance ? You are fûcking over both Dublin AND Meath supporters by going this way of thinking. Taking 44,000 seats away from the paying GAA loving public, to suit an agenda... we’ve had enough of that shît and that backwards thinking in this country.

The fact that Dublin have access to Croker is not by design it’s by necessity...

The same reason that the location of the final is not moved every year to give other locations a chance of holding it and a payday.... because the supporters are the primary concern.... a stadium is a theatre... designed to allow spectators to stand or sit, enjoy and view the event.... Croker simply has that capacity. Other infrastructure here simply doesnt.

Fitzgerald Stadium, 38,000... 9000 is seated, ok let’s have an All Ireland Semi Final there ? Errrr no. The venue doesn’t stand up to the demands...Pairc Ui Chaoimh 45,000 ? 34,000 people short of the Croker capacity... again, home advantage is a byproduct, but the design of a stadium is to facilitate spectators...I guarantee if Cork had a home semi vs Dublin they’d have a significant number of them chanting for Croker as the venue to enable them to get enough tickets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

TCP/IP wrote: »
    Again not answering the question you are losing a lot of credibility by not answering a straight and simple question.
    He tells you what County he's from and he'll get slagged off and it used to discredit his facts.

I'm guessing he's from a traditional football County that has had inter County football as a spectacle seriously damaged by the prospect of dublin winning every year.
    Laois, June 2016.
    Carlow, June 2017.
    Wicklow, June 2018.
    Tyrone, July 2018.
    Louth, May 2019.
    Tyrone, August 2019.
    This right here is another big issue. Back when Dublin were beatable the gaa didn't dare put their cash cow in harms way. I didn't see Meath, Wexford, Louth, Laois, Westmeath or Kildare getting home matches vs Dublin or even matches located in neutral counties. It must have scared the gaa when Longford nearly beat them.

Decisions like this directly affect results and lead to dublin winning more leinsters then they otherwise would. And you'd wonder about the many dubious calls the dubs got in close leinster matches. And remember this was at a time when the association that hire these refs were publicly stating they needed a more successful dublin. Beggars belief.

The final blow is the massive funding disparity and the effort by the GAA to get Dublin's house in order even though they were already decent. You can see why we're losing faith in the sport except at club level.

870k watched the football this year when the entire country was stuck at home. Is that not a bit low?

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    He tells you what County he's from and he'll get slagged off and it used to discredit his facts.

I'm guessing he's from a traditional football County that has had inter County football as a spectacle seriously damaged by the prospect of dublin winning every year.

This right here is another big issue. Back when Dublin were beatable the gaa didn't dare put their cash cow in harms way. I didn't see Meath, Wexford, Louth, Laois, Westmeath or Kildare getting home matches vs Dublin or even matches located in neutral counties. It must have scared the gaa when Longford nearly beat them.

Decisions like this directly affect results and lead to dublin winning more leinsters then they otherwise would. And you'd wonder about the many dubious calls the dubs got in close leinster matches. And remember this was at a time when the association that hire these refs were publicly stating they needed a more successful dublin. Beggars belief.

The final blow is the massive funding disparity and the effort by the GAA to get Dublin's house in order even though they were already decent. You can see why we're losing faith in the sport except at club level.

870k watched the football this year when the entire country was stuck at home. Is that not a bit low?

Again in the interests of clarity, when you say the GAA didn’t dare put dublin in harms way, how does that work exactly? Does someone from headquarters just arrive in a black state car to give Carlow the grim news they’re going to Croker while his henchmen and women laugh evilly. Or is there votes and stuff that lead to that decision? Did representatives from the Leinster counties have an input to the decision for example?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Let’s break it down for you...

A ‘venue’ and its choice is not about the teams but the fans mostly.

Like if U2 are playing a one off gig here next month, would it be wrong of them to choose Croke Park ? No, of course not...

Of course you could choose The Cork Opera House but I think the idea is, give as many people the opportunity to see and enjoy.

Say next years Leinster final is between Dublin and Meath... the demand for tickets from both sides will be ensuring it’s a sell out..76,534 people in attendance or close.... is the right thing to do say that...” sure another home game for Dublin, fûck that, play it in Páirc Tailteann ? Around 32,000 in attendance ? You are fûcking over both Dublin AND Meath supporters by going this way of thinking. Taking 44,000 seats away from the paying GAA loving public, to suit an agenda... we’ve had enough of that shît and that backwards thinking in this country.

The fact that Dublin have access to Croker is not by design it’s by necessity...

The same reason that the location of the final is not moved every year to give other locations a chance of holding it and a payday.... because the supporters are the primary concern.... a stadium is a theatre... designed to allow spectators to stand or sit, enjoy and view the event.... Croker simply has that capacity. Other infrastructure here simply doesnt.

Fitzgerald Stadium, 38,000... 9000 is seated, ok let’s have an All Ireland Semi Final there ? Errrr no. The venue doesn’t stand up to the demands...Pairc Ui Chaoimh 45,000 ? 34,000 people short of the Croker capacity... again, home advantage is a byproduct, but the design of a stadium is to facilitate spectators...I guarantee if Cork had a home semi vs Dublin they’d have a significant number of them chanting for Croker as the venue to enable them to get enough tickets.

Your argument is very disingenuous. I can't believe anybody actually believes Dublin v Meath will be a sell out at any time in the near future. I don't actually think you believe that if you have been going to Dublin games over the past few years. How many Meath people actually travel these days? Say they'll be a lot less than 2019 judging by Meath people on here.

Most watched sports event of the year, pubs were open, restaurants were open, shops were open, last Saturday before Xmas.
    Is croke park a neutral venue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Again in the interests of clarity, when you say the GAA didn’t dare put dublin in harms way, how does that work exactly? Does someone from headquarters just arrive in a black state car to give Carlow the grim news they’re going to Croker while his henchmen and women laugh evilly. Or is there votes and stuff that lead to that decision? Did representatives from the Leinster counties have an input to the decision for example?

The biggest factor is ensuring season ticket holding dubs get a seat
    Same for mayo games

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Your argument is very disingenuous. I can't believe anybody actually believes Dublin v Meath will be a sell out at any time in the near future. I don't actually think you believe that if you have been going to Dublin games over the past few years. How many Meath people actually travel these days? Say they'll be a lot less than 2019 judging by Meath people on here.

Only a handful would travel from Meath or Kildare and we are the 2 best supported leinster counties outside Dublin for football.

Would a Meath/Dublin all Ireland final not sell out?
    Meath could go all the way to the final without playing dublin.

Would a Meath/Dublin all Ireland final not sell out?
    Meath could go all the way to the final without playing dublin.

Everyone from Meath would know we'd get hammered. I wouldn't attend and I'd imagine 10k max would go. Any other year you'd have 40k at least who'd avail of a ticket. Only a handful travel to leinster matches involving Dublin these days and its gotten worse since 2018. You'd want to be offered free tickets and even at that it isn't worth it. I personally didn't watch the last 4 or 5 meetings even on TV and talking to lads in my club I wasn't alone. Nobody cares about leinsters biggest rivalry of the last 100 years.

https://hoganstand.com/Article/Index/315265

I see the Leinster CEO has acknowledged the championship was good with the exception of dublin matches. Finally a realisation they shouldn't be competing similar to Galway's removal from Connaught hurling championship? Obviously those planning Dublin's annual all Ireland cake walks will emphasise the importance of Leinster to the players but in reality it allows them to build for a peak for the all ireland without breaking a sweat. Playing a provincial match in donegal, kerry, Cork or mayo in may or june wouldn't be ideal.

If it's good enough for galway in hurling it's good enough for Dublin in football. The leinster hurling championship has never been better now it's time to save the football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭EICVD

Everyone from Meath would know we'd get hammered. I wouldn't attend and I'd imagine 10k max would go. Any other year you'd have 40k at least who'd avail of a ticket. Only a handful travel to leinster matches involving Dublin these days and its gotten worse since 2018. You'd want to be offered free tickets and even at that it isn't worth it. I personally didn't watch the last 4 or 5 meetings even on TV and talking to lads in my club I wasn't alone. Nobody cares about leinsters biggest rivalry of the last 100 years.

I see the Leinster CEO has acknowledged the championship was good with the exception of dublin matches. Finally a realisation they shouldn't be competing similar to Galway's removal from Connaught hurling championship? Obviously those planning Dublin's annual all Ireland cake walks will emphasise the importance of Leinster to the players but in reality it allows them to build for a peak for the all ireland without breaking a sweat. Playing a provincial match in donegal, kerry, Cork or mayo in may or june wouldn't be ideal.

If it's good enough for galway in hurling it's good enough for Dublin in football. The leinster hurling championship has never been better now it's time to save the football.

A first all Ireland appearance in 20 years or so & you wouldn’t go because you know you’d lose, if that’s not a defeatist attitude! What happened to the Meath don’t fear the Dubs times, looks like we’ve strangled the competitiveness out of ye, not that I’m complaining

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

I’ll PM ya my number, I’ll take all the available tickets ya can get yer hands on😉

EICVD wrote: »
    A first all Ireland appearance in 20 years or so & you wouldn’t go because you know you’d lose, if that’s not a defeatist attitude! What happened to the Meath don’t fear the Dubs times, looks like we’ve strangled the competitiveness out of ye, not that I’m complaining

I've actually been to 5 all irelands between football and hurling since I last seen Meath there. If KK were doing what Dublin are now in hurling I wouldn't bother going either. Before this dominance I'd happily have gone to any Dublin match not involving Meath and often did. Now I've no interest and don't go to any matches except for meath home and away in the league, leinster matches in Navan and super 8's if they make it although if they got dublin in their group I'd boycott that match too.

Hurling is the big winner.. The less football I go to the more hurling I attend and now feel sorry for those who are yet to make the switch and are stuck watching dublin hammer everybody.
    Big fan of the Dublin hurlers BTW I'm just afraid 20/30 years from now they might become unbeatable too. A good few years from that though so I'll enjoy future dublin hurling wins whether that be the league, leinster or Liam for now.

When Celtic were destroying all in their sights in soccer domestically, Pete Sampras in tennis,

Boston Celtics I think during the Bill Russell leadership... from ‘57-‘69 they won everything, nobody was legitimately pissing and moaning...must have been a frustration but..

Championships : 1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969

Division Titles : 1957, 1958, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965..

Dubs are just superb footballers, worked hard to nurture talent, improve talent... big game players, ability, skills, discipline.... successes... naturally. The goal of every sports man, woman, team... the same, noses just out of joint because not many achieve it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭flasher0030

When Celtic were destroying all in their sights in soccer domestically, Pete Sampras in tennis,

Boston Celtics I think during the Bill Russell leadership... from ‘57-‘69 they won everything, nobody was legitimately pissing and moaning...must have been a frustration but..

Championships : 1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969

Dubs are just superb footballers, worked hard to nurture talent, improve talent... big game players, ability, skills, discipline.... successes... naturally. The goal of every sports man, woman, team... the same, noses just out of joint because not many achieve it...

Were you on the beer when you scribbled that. I had drawn myself from this dominance thread. Descended into anarchy. Had a look at last few posts to see if it had died down.
    Your post would make a grand addition to an Al Pacino rousing speech in a sports movie. But in all of that, you forgot to mention the main issue - money.
    To quote another sports movie - "Show me the money". And Bertie and Co duly obliged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

If you want to compare you need check who won all Ireland gaa for same years in 50/60s
    Then check who won Basketball in say last 10 years and compare with Dublin current team.
    I do not blame the Dubs, it is administrators who created the monster that is killing our game.
    Its pretty easy to resolve but the corporate pachrocial structure of gaa needs to change and that wont happen any time soon.
    It be interesting to see how all sport will recover after Covid?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭thesultan

They have once in generation type players, could be twice in a generation when the loss of Brogan didn't make any difference.. Look at the loss of shefflin to Kilkenny...
    They make all the sacrifices is a load of rubbish. They train and are looked after professionally. That's why they biltz every team in the last fifteen minutes. No way should there be any big difference in the fitness of intercounty teams but there is a massive difference between Dublin and everyone..

thesultan wrote: »
    They have once in generation type players, could be twice in a generation when the loss of Brogan didn't make any difference.. Look at the loss of shefflin to Kilkenny...
    They make all the sacrifices is a load of rubbish. They train and are looked after professionally. That's why they biltz every team in the last fifteen minutes. No way should there be any big difference in the fitness of intercounty teams but there is a massive difference between Dublin and everyone..

The work like every other team. They train. Its up to every team to be at an appropriate level of fitness. That is achievable by everyone. People really ned to stop making excuses regarding a teams preparation and attempting to equate that to funding. For the 500th time, the funding is GDO/GPO funding, targeted at schoolchildren from 5-12 years of age, that is a fact. Some posters like to use the term busted, their arguments were busted long ago, but the have what is referred in horse racing terms as staying power. There needs to be a review of structures, finance was dealt with regarding the above back in 2017. Sponsorship is a difficult one, not sure any county that works hard to get sponsorship will be willing to share, ask Cork or Kerry would they pool sponsorship. The hope of a split is just that, a hope to hang onto. There are some really genuine GAA people on here that have a vested inters in developing the structures and their are the posters that have no other interest but stopping Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,721 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

ArielAtom wrote: »
    For the 500th time, the funding is GDO/GPO funding, targeted at schoolchildren from 5-12 years of age, that is a fact.

(!) This claim about GDO funding is disputed by many reputable sources

No way should there be any big difference in the fitness of intercounty teams but there is a massive difference between Dublin and everyone..

I hate to continually bring hurling in to the debate but is there a massive difference between the fitness of the Dublin senior hurlers and the other counties?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭flasher0030

The work like every other team. They train. Its up to every team to be at an appropriate level of fitness. That is achievable by everyone. People really ned to stop making excuses regarding a teams preparation and attempting to equate that to funding. For the 500th time, the funding is GDO/GPO funding, targeted at schoolchildren from 5-12 years of age, that is a fact. Some posters like to use the term busted, their arguments were busted long ago, but the have what is referred in horse racing terms as staying power. There needs to be a review of structures, finance was dealt with regarding the above back in 2017. Sponsorship is a difficult one, not sure any county that works hard to get sponsorship will be willing to share, ask Cork or Kerry would they pool sponsorship. The hope of a split is just that, a hope to hang onto. There are some really genuine GAA people on here that have a vested inters in developing the structures and their are the posters that have no other interest but stopping Dublin.

Come on. Even the great bold Bertie admits it. From 2005,there was mention of about a million a year. So the "kids" that that money was targeted at are in their mid-20s now - i.e. Fenton, O'Callaghan, Kilkenny etc.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/bertie-ahern-explains-how-he-helped-finance-the-dublin-gaa-revolution-37366135.html#:~:text=The%20%E2%82%AC3.3%20million%20budget,%C2%A315%2C000%20(senior%20club).

Come on. Even the great bold Bertie admits it. From 2005,there was mention of about a million a year. So the "kids" that that money was targeted at are in their mid-20s now - i.e. Fenton, O'Callaghan, Kilkenny etc.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/bertie-ahern-explains-how-he-helped-finance-the-dublin-gaa-revolution-37366135.html#:~:text=The%20%E2%82%AC3.3%20million%20budget,%C2%A315%2C000%20(senior%20club).

At no stage have I said Dublin did not receive GDO/GPO funding. My point is that the funding is not as some try and make out for Senior team preparation. BTW Fenton didn’t play minor for Dublin.

It would appear croke park is not Dublin's home ground, so the Dublin senior footballers have had even less home games than the 2 away games they've had in the championship since 2006.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/columnists/arid-40139753.html
    And of course Croke Park is de jure a neutral venue, while also being de facto the place where Dublin footballers play all their home league and championship matches.

So should Dublin play at Parnell park maybe.....capacity 13,500 vs 80,000. When opposition fans get all excited about that, they sure won’t be excited when they try get a ticket, and can’t.

Dublin should build their own 60 thousand plus home ground ? Who pays for it ? You’d have the same dribblers then complaining if the Dubs were given funding to do that... so damned if they do, damned if the don’t... ultimately too...That would mean about 7 or 8 games tops in Croker a year, a proper white elephant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭thesultan

The understanding is that the Dubs barely work and are funded by the sponsorship

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

It would appear croke park is not Dublin's home ground, so the Dublin senior footballers have had even less home games than the 2 away games they've had in the championship since 2006.
    And of course Croke Park is de jure a neutral venue, while also being de facto the place where Dublin footballers play all their home league and championship matches.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/columnists/arid-40139753.html

You do realise the meaning of the bit you quoted says the exact opposite of what you are saying. Basically is says that while technically Croke Park gets recognised as a neutral venue, the true reality is that given Dublin play all their home league and home championship games there it is in effect a home venue.

• Advertisement

The understanding is that the Dubs barely work and are funded by the sponsorship

There in lies your complete lack of knowledge. You have just stated that Dublin GAA players do not work and rely on sponsorship. I’ll leave you to your alternate life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

There in lies your complete lack of knowledge. You have just stated that Dublin GAA players do not work and rely on sponsorship. I’ll leave you to your alternate life.

Surely you know that Jack McCaffrey was just pretending to be a Doctor. AIG shelled out for a white coat and stethoscope to complete the look:)

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    You do realise the meaning of the bit you quoted says the exact opposite of what you are saying. Basically is says that while technically Croke Park gets recognised as a neutral venue, the true reality is that given Dublin play all their home league and home championship games there it is in effect a home venue.

De jure means a state of affairs that is in accordance with law (i.e. that is officially sanctioned).
    Surely that means croke park is a neutral venue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭mitchelsontour

Lads if you don't play outside your county bounds then you have a home venue.

Lads if you don't play outside your county bounds then you have a home venue.

Now, you know that is incorrect. If a team does not play in their home ground ie Parnell Park, they are by default playing in a neutral ground. An example of that would be Leinster Rugby playing in the Aviva, that would be a neutral ground as their home ground is the RDS. It really is that simple.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement