Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

READ BEFORE POSTING OR YOU WILL BE BANNED

Options
  • 28-07-2004 2:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭

The Rules bit:

ALL* security related threads are welcome here. Really. You don't have to be ub3r-l337, you don't even have to be 1337. ANY* security related discussion is fine here. Tech support questions are not. This includes not knowing how to remove a virus from your computer, why Internet Explorer keeps loading webpages that you don't want, etc. In other words; you're posting because you have some problem you want fixed, not because you're interested in some aspect of security.
    *Provided it complies with all rules written and unwritten of boards.ie and it's right-wing admins.

NO tech support requests.
    NO what's the best spyware remover.
    NO new anti-virus threads, you can see what's recommended and you can recommend your own here

We've had these threads already. The answers are always the same. Do your own homework.

If you'd like to make a guide to securing your operating system/access point/whatever of choice, great! Just start a new thread and if it's useful I'll make it sticky.

Post in this thread if you have any comments about how this forum is moderated.

end of rules bit

I like to think I've taken a pretty relaxed approach to modding this board, but things are going to have to change :)

This board was originally created as a place to discuss security; from new exploits to the privacy implications of particular technologies.

Lately it's become a tech support board and downright painful to read. While it's nice to see so many people willing to help, this is not the place.

To make myself clear, if you've got a virus or some spyware or you think your ISP is haxxing you with pings... don't post here. This isn't the place, contact tech support or try another board where it may be closer to the topic.

I think it's reasonable to say that the type of person posting here already knows how not to become overrun with spyware, they're pretty capable when it comes to patching their systems and generally they don't double click when their best friend mails them annakournikova-installs-unlicensed-solaris-naked.jpeg.pif

I'll leave this thread open for any suggestions you might have and, as always, if you think I'm being unfair you can contact the admins on the Feedback or Help boards.

From now, though, off-topic posts will be locked & recycled and off topic posters will just be recycled ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

I must say I'm a bit disappointed with your attitude.
    I remember the good old days when these boards were helpful (esp. back when they were pure quake boards) and any punter who had a problem however trivial (despite myabe being slagged off) was assisted and sent in the right direction.

The internet community seemed to enjoy helping people out, but instead you seem to have decided to run this board as YOU see fit without taking into consideration the security help this board could provide to users who may not be necessarily as wise as yourself.

Of course maybe you believe, being the MOD, that you may run it as you see fit and I suppose you may, but I think you're wrong.

Chump.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Most of the posts in question are Windows spyware/virus problems, I'm surprised you haven't just shoved them into the Windows forum; and you're welcome to start now. I'm overrun with the dopey little boll1xes anyway, another few won't hurt.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Just put a sticky "Windows spyware/virus problems" or "Newbie questions" saying any questions of that sort, will get the author banned. Personally I would have assumed "Windows spyware/virus problems" were security issues still I read this thread. You could make it a private forum if annoys you that much.
    dahamsta wrote:
    ...dopey little boll1xes....

Such community spirit is heart warming to read...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Well, the board is somewhat diluted and painful to read for security discussion when every second thread is how to clean your PC for people who aren't quite sure how to properly use their computer. The windows mod agrees that they fit well into the windows forum so I don't see what the problem is or the complaints are about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

Totally agree. Security Board for Security Posts.

Liam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Maybe a sub-forum for "basic" security "issues" might be a better compromise.
    Shoving all the queries over to the windows' board isn't too fair on Adam, while leaving them here turns this board into something it was not meant to be.

I agree that a compromise can be met, and that a few sticky's would solve most problems, but the attitude of just telling people where to go and threatening banning is a bit ridiculous.

A bit of decency is all that's needed.

Repeatedly posting off-topic after a warning can potentially get you a banning from any forum. dogs is running this board as he sees fit, but quite frankly he's the one running it so how else would he run it? It isn't like boards is clamping down on the discussion altogether, since we've identified somewhere where those posts are on-topic.

Your post about "The good old days when they were pure quake boards" makes me wonder if you're the reincarnation of someone we banned before btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭dogs

chump wrote:
    I must say I'm a bit disappointed with your attitude.
    I remember the good old days when these boards were helpful (esp. back when they were pure quake boards) and any punter who had a problem however trivial (despite myabe being slagged off) was assisted and sent in the right direction.

Hmm, so what you're saying is that my approach so far has been wrong ? That asking for feedback and giving plenty of notice is too much to ask of people ? Boards.ie has a pretty strong community, with a lot of intelligent and helpful people; that still doesn't make it acceptable to post your favourite knock-knock jokes on the Boards Events board.

If the Windows mod is happy to take these threads that's fine with me, it's not my intention to stop people getting help but the Security board was never intended to be first-line tech support.

Security board for security discussion, that's it. If that's a problem I'm sure the boards.ie admins will correct me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

dogs wrote:
    If the Windows mod is happy to take these threads that's fine with me
    No worries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Thumbs up, Dogs. Having to filter through the several moronic posts about <insert worm here> makes me sick to my ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Thats fine run it that way. The forum will probably die off soon enough then look at the posts in the last 90 days do you see many posts related to what you want? A warning to newer posters about whats acceptable is a step in the right direction

damnyanks wrote:
    The forum will probably die off soon enough then look at the posts in the last 90 days do you see many posts related to what you want?

Irrelevant noise is discouraging to people who want to post on-topic threads and discouraging to people who might answer on-topic threads because they get sick of coming back. It used to be that relevant threads used to find their way onto the Unix or Programming or less often the Technology forums, perhaps that's still going on, I don't know. If the overall traffic to the forum is reduced, then so be it but the current situation isn't good and it just sorta creeped into that situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Sico wrote:
    Thumbs up, Dogs. Having to filter through the several moronic posts about <insert worm here> makes me sick to my ass.

What a weird comment.

At least it wasn't superfluous.

Dogs: Hmm, so what you're saying is that my approach so far has been wrong ? That asking for feedback and giving plenty of notice is too much to ask of people ?

All I'm saying is, I stumbled across a problem on my computer that I thought may be security related. I like boards.ie, so I thought, hell let's ask the security board folk - and so I did.
    And so I asked and some people replied with help, I soon solved the problem and what then you respond with a completely up-your-arse comment...
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=178401

And I just think from reading some of the other posts and seeing your approach to other trivial issues - I've concluded that you have a bad attitude.

Fair enough if you don't want these issues discussed, give the person whose just posted their first message on the forum a pointer in the right direction, tell them in a decent manner that maybe they should read the stickies and wish them a bit of luck.
    Dogs: that still doesn't make it acceptable to post your favourite knock-knock jokes on the Boards Events board.

Gee, what a comparison! You're comparing someone posting a topic on a Security board about trying to save their computer from a worm or some such to posting an irrelevant post on the wrong board!
    ecksor: Your post about "The good old days when they were pure quake boards" makes me wonder if you're the reincarnation of someone we banned before btw.

Afraid that's not me good sir! I don't think I'd be bothered going off and registering a new nick and all that business to post on this board.

I understand that a certain amount of snobbery and intolerance should be expected from some of the EXPERTS and directed towards "newbies" and general computer virgins - it's just the way some technical people are... but I don't think it should be a policy

chump wrote:
    All I'm saying is, I stumbled across a problem on my computer that I thought may be security related. I like boards.ie, so I thought, hell let's ask the security board folk - and so I did.

In future try thinking something like this:

"By gum, there's something wrong with my computer and I don't have the foggiest what that is. Gosh, I'd better not post on the Security forum as if it was some sort of a technical support forum, because it isn't."
    chump wrote:
    Gee, what a comparison! You're comparing someone posting a topic on a Security board about trying to save their computer from a worm or some such to posting an irrelevant post on the wrong board!

What part of this are you having trouble with?
    chump wrote:
    Afraid that's not me good sir! I don't think I'd be bothered going off and registering a new nick and all that business to post on this board.

You didn't exactly have the most comprehensive experience of what boards was like as a pure quake board then.

nice response ecksor!

I like this bit especially...
    You didn't exactly have the most comprehensive experience of what boards was like as a pure quake board then.

I dare say I haven't a notion what you're talking about.
    Anyway I don't really want to continue with this inane discussion. I think the points I made were fairly valid, or at the very least a valid opinion.

I'm disappointed you don't agree with me, but I'll grow and learn.
    Best of luck!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

chump wrote:
    I dare say I haven't a notion what you're talking about.

boards used to be a quake discussion forum,
    nothing like what you see today....

I think he knows that, he was the one who brought it up in his first post.

• Advertisement

*shakes Iron Fist of Repression*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

If adam is fine to take the trivial posts then why not show a bit of tolerance and move the thread to the windows forum rather than banning them. It wouldnt be any more effort. The PI mods have to deal with far more off topic posts and they dont have any problem moving them rather than banning.
    I think this kind of elitism belongs in the dark ages of the internet or obscure irc channels tbh.

If adam is fine to take the trivial posts then why not show a bit of tolerance and move the thread to the windows forum rather than banning them.

It wasn't getting the message across.

ecksor wrote:
    It wasn't getting the message across.
    Fair enough then didnt realise moving had already been tried. Still a bit of a shock to see a ban like in the free anti virus thread, if you're not expecting it. Kinda contrary to the general noob friendly nature of board imo but each to their own. thanks for the clarification.

There are several threads with the "Moved:" icon beside them.

There's a stickied post at the top of the board saying "READ BEFORE POSTING OR YOU MAY BE BANNED".

It's hardly a subtle hint that, perhaps, before hitting the New Thread button you might need to spend a minute or two familiarising yourself with the purpose of the board. I don't think this is any different from asking people not to post in all caps, etc -- just basic netiquette.

How many "what's the best free anti-virus for windows" threads do we need ?

I don't like elitist attitudes either; there's nothing worse than a condescending mod, but is it too much to ask a new user spend 30 seconds reading before posting ?

Again dont disagree with that but bear in mind that ppl posting replys may have done nothing worse than use the 'New Posts' link. Good luck to ya.

Nobody was banned for replying to an off-topic thread. Nobody will be "punished"* for being helpful.

*unless they do something that would normally get them banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Of course discussing security issues such as spyware and viruses are not 1337 h4Xor material but they are still security issues. Perhaps you should change the title of the forum to 52curi7y f0rU|\/| that way people will know what type of posts you want here.

Security discussion, not tech support.

It really is that easy.

Edit; I'll bite:
    Blub2k4 wrote:
    Of course discussing security issues such as spyware and viruses are not 1337 h4Xor material but they are still security issues.

Spyware and virii are security issues, yes. Four "What's the best free antivirus software for Windows" threads aren't. Similarly, the process of removing spyware from an infected PC isn't either.

Sure, it's quite interesting exploring what lengths malware will go to to prevent its removal but these threads don't discuss that.

Restricting repeat postings of questions that have already been answered, in detail, and could just as easily be answered with a quick Google search doesn't limit this board to 0-day hax0r discussion. Even at that, if you do have a problem with your computer there are a lot more appropriate boards with lots of friendly people ready to help. The Security board is for security discussion, for people who don't want to read the same tech support threads daily.

That people have gotten two pages through this thread and still don't understand this is beyond me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

dogs wrote:
    Security discussion, not tech support.

It really is that easy.
    For you maybe, but not end luser who has managed to get their pc infected with the latest M$ virus.

Advertisement