Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

READ BEFORE POSTING OR YOU WILL BE BANNED

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

blacknight wrote:
    For you maybe, but not end luser who has managed to get their pc infected with the latest M$ virus.
    Careful now Michele, the lusers get fierce upset when you diss them, and start doling out bad rep. I nearly cried that day. *sob*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Zico

I'll be sure not to ask anyones advice on anything I'm not 110% sure is security related. I see your point though, I can imagine it must get annoying if the same issues are being raised over and over on numerous threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Methinks apart from 'what's the best antivirus product to use against (deleted)' this is gonna be a very quiet area of the board in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭dogs

Tazz T wrote:
    Methinks apart from 'what's the best antivirus product to use against (deleted)' this is gonna be a very quiet area of the board in future.

Yes. You win the special prize. Hooray for missing the point!

SPOOONS!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

dogs you seem to enjoy your little bit of virtual authority but thankfully it probably doesnt extend to the real world. [thats the place outside this screen]

Boards and forums are best when somebody can post a question that has been asked before and still get a helpfull reply or even a reference without being shouted at or patronised by someone who spends too much time in the Forum.

Theres nothing more disguisting than a mod on a power trip. Learn to take critism and listen to the people youre supposed to be helping.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

womoma wrote:
    dogs you seem to enjoy your little bit of virtual authority but thankfully it probably doesnt extend to the real world. [thats the place outside this screen]

Are you being deliberately ironic when you complain about dogs being patronising?
    Boards and forums are best when somebody can post a question that has been asked before and still get a helpfull reply or even a reference without being shouted at or patronised by someone who spends too much time in the Forum.

What does this have to do with anything? Posts should be on-topic. Many types of posts have been clearly stated to not be on-topic (but they are on-topic on other boards forums).
    Theres nothing more disguisting than a mod on a power trip. Learn to take critism and listen to the people youre supposed to be helping.

Who is he supposed to be helping? This isn't a technical support forum if that's what you mean.

womoma wrote:

emot-downs.gif

womoma wrote:

So lots of repeat threads about the same off-topic topic are a good thing and essential to any forum ? Thanks for the top tip!

womoma wrote:

If I really didn't want to listen to the nay-sayers of my empire I could lock this thread on a mere whim. Now prostrate yourself and beg for mercy!

Besides, the people I'm supposed to be helping are the people who would like to read this board daily but find it painful to do so because of the amount of off-topic posts (that could be answered with 20 seconds of effort and google).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Perhaps if you renamed the title to something more explicit, like "REPORT WINDOWS PROBLEMS IN WINDOWS FORUM"? Alternatively, create a "Windows Problems" subforum and use vBulletin's forum redirect facility to push them off there automatically.

The current solution certainly isn't working for you anyway, and banning every TD&H that comes in here isn't really solving anything (bar the feelgood factor).

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

with this policy, why not just close security completely.

I mean, having a virus on the machine, what doesn't have a Antivirus software is a security related issue, if that person asks which software he could use to see what it going on, I wouldn't consider that tech support.
    Then again, EVERYTHING security related is tech support, to a certain extent.
    If someone asks which protocol needs to be enable for emails to go out, you are allready giving technical support.

I could only recommend the following as bannings and closing is going to give this forum a bad rep imho.

Create Stickys for the stupid questions like' what is the best AV Software', and include a Poll in for the most commonly mentioned AV solutions, and also create stickys for other things, like.
    'THE TEN COMMENDMENTS FOR SECURING WINDOWS!!!'
    then place the 'install Linux' in first place and 'Use Firefox' in second, as an example, or even update you windows frequently.

Man, it is easy enough to do this, and I think it will be a bit of work at first to get this together, but hey, in the long run, you won't be alienating n00bs and regulars from the thread.

Oooohhhh Look at me... I am new and have a problem..... whicih AV software shall I use????....... (MOD looks down on him and n00b cowers) ...... DIE YOU PLAGUE MWHAHAHAHA......

doesn't make good reputation.

I think this can be treated a lot better than this ruling, which, in my opinion is close to bullying

Gilgamesh wrote:
    with this policy, why not just close security completely.

Then what would I do with my free time ?
    I mean, having a virus on the machine, what doesn't have a Antivirus software is a security related issue, if that person asks which software he could use to see what it going on, I wouldn't consider that tech support.

From what I can piece together from your assorted collection of words, you have a pet that's ill ?
    Then again, EVERYTHING security related is tech support, to a certain extent.

No, it's not.
    If someone asks which protocol needs to be enable for emails to go out, you are allready giving technical support.

Yes, and that indeed is technical support and is off-topic.
    Create Stickys for the stupid questions like' what is the best AV Software', and include a Poll in for the most commonly mentioned AV solutions, and also create stickys for other things, like.
    'THE TEN COMMENDMENTS FOR SECURING WINDOWS!!!'
    then place the 'install Linux' in first place and 'Use Firefox' in second, as an example, or even update you windows frequently.

Man, it is easy enough to do this, and I think it will be a bit of work at first to get this together, but hey, in the long run, you won't be alienating n00bs and regulars from the thread.

By all means, if you create the threads I'll make them sticky.

• Advertisement

dahamsta wrote:
    Perhaps if you renamed the title to something more explicit, like "REPORT WINDOWS PROBLEMS IN WINDOWS FORUM"? Alternatively, create a "Windows Problems" subforum and use vBulletin's forum redirect facility to push them off there automatically.
    Interesting, I didn't know about that vBulletin feature, I'll have a word with ecksor and see what he thinks. I have no problem changing this threads title but if people don't read it now I'm not sure they'll read it regardless of what I set it to.

The current solution certainly isn't working for you anyway, and banning every TD&H that comes in here isn't really solving anything (bar the feelgood factor).
    Definitely, it made a little improvement initially but those gains seem to have gone now. Banning people is not an ideal soloution, the ban is really just to get their attention and as soon as I get a reply PM saying "oops, my bad" I'll lift it. Sometimes this happens in under 10 minutes -- but these people are unlikely to post a thread here again even if it is on topic :( .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Why don't you put forward the idea of having a dedicated tech support sub-section under the comp topic, because as it is if someone has a problem with any aspect of computers and need help they'll check the available sections, and post in the appropriate (or closest too) thread.
    Example being, I posted a question a while back (which you banned me for, thanks for that) in relation to opening ports or something. It was security related so I posted it in here.
    Seeing as you don't want any tech support questions in here, why not have a brand new tech support section setup.

This site is a great resource for people who aren't computer savvy or for someone who has a weird/obscure problem, therefore I think its a shame not too have a collective resource available for people to post in.

Also, your attitude stinks....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Could create another sub section under "Comp" called "General Security" and rename "Security" to "Secuity Discussion" or something.

Just a random thought, might clear the whole thing up for people who dont know what the board is about.

At least it would be blatently obvious to anyone then at least and also other people would have a place to ask their questions about
    "what is the best antivirus today then?" all they want and fear being banned.

Couple of stickies thrown up would answer most questions and I wouldn't think it would require that much modding.

Might work

Keyzer wrote:
    Why don't you put forward the idea of having a dedicated tech support sub-section under the comp topic

Why would I be doing this ? You are completely free to suggest this here.

Could create another sub section under "Comp" called "General Security" and rename "Security" to "Secuity Discussion" or something.
    Couple of stickies thrown up would answer most questions and I wouldn't think it would require that much modding.

Then suggest it :) I don't want to mod a tech support board so I'm not going to suggest one.

Ok done and done :),

just made a quick reponse, leaving work at the moment will check back later tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 thebutlerdidit

Despite the gentle tirade at the beginning of this thread about staying on topic and not having it full of non related BS was the idea of this thread not to discuss security ideas?? Why not just call this thread "lets give out about NEWBIES" have you discussed even one new security idea? no. instead its turned into a debate over what gets posted here.....

Despite the gentle tirade at the beginning of this thread about staying on topic and not having it full of non related BS was the idea of this thread not to discuss security ideas??

Incorrect. I don't know where you got that idea from.
    Why not just call this thread "lets give out about NEWBIES" have you discussed even one new security idea? no. instead its turned into a debate over what gets posted here.....

The nature of posts on this forum is exactly the point of this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭sauv

hey guys, maybe this is a stupid qustion but where is the tech support forum??

sauv

There is no dedicated Tech Support forum but if you have a tech problem most people post it under

Comp --> Computers / Technology

or if its windows based under

Comp ---> Operating System ---> Windows

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

"Computer security is a field of computer science concerned with the control of risks related to computer use."

It is kind of sad to see this forum fill up with AV and spyware posts. I know it wasn't its intention and was occassionally fun to read.

I would recommend renaming the forum to a key phrase that people in the security industry would know and wouldn't have people wander in here when they should be going to the computer or OS related forums.

maybe something like "Security Engineering" or "Road Apple" forum. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Hey, Hobbes dragged up this year old thread, not me so don't ban me...peeeleasssse :D

Anyway, not a bad thought. The names Hobbes suggested or a re-name to 'Security Exploits' or similar would be a good idea and may stop the rot (if it hasn 't been stopped already).

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

It was a sticky thread :p

I don't think "Security Exploits" would be a good name because you would be getting the wanna be hackers coming in expecting to find exploits. Same reason I'd avoid hacking/cracking names.

Security engineering sounds a bit more professional and I thought road apple in case someone came across the forum in the front page or menus and didn't know what it was (and by entering activating the road apple :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Hobbes wrote:
    It was a sticky thread :p
    Yes, I know, it was a joke (admittedly, a lame joke)
    Hobbes wrote:
    I don't think "Security Exploits" would be a good name because you would be getting the wanna be hackers coming in expecting to find exploits. Same reason I'd avoid hacking/cracking names.
    Now that you say it...yes...I agree...there goes my suggestion to call it "Zero-Day" :)

It is tiresome, but when users get posts moved into the relevant forums or get a ban for posting something inappropriate the whinging is astounding. (In fact, I've lost mods over their unwillingness to babysit people who can't use their own computer).

I'll go back to enforcing the rules as stated here for a while and see how we get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

this site can be very frustrating at times dont get me wrong, its what ireland needs, its just not very user freindly, firs you got to read a list of mods rules, then you got to wacth how you type, no typo,s seem to be aloud, a lot of hassle, its a real pity, i liked this site at the start, but then got stick for the likes of not putting a space after a comma, come on for gods sake who cares, just do as the sites suppouse to and give me dam advice, a lot of mods are letting this site down badly, a lot are very helpfull, there has to be vetting on mods if this site is to succed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 MadMossy

Hi Dogs

I hope I haven't made a blls of posting that Kaspersky issue there, it's just that I need to get it out about this problem. My PC is hanging constantly now, even as I type this. If it's in the wrong place tell me where to put it and I will move it asap.

Google Kaspersky Crashes and see, there are massive problems with this security software.

Have you tried reinstalling all your icons ?

Advertisement