Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend your Windows Anti-Virus

Options
  • 08-03-2005 9:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭

This poll is for you guys to find out what is the most used AV solution from the boards members.

If you vote on this Thread, please put a comment in why you chose this solution or why you would recommend it (e.g. fast, good definition updates, free....)

THIS THREAD IS FOR RECOMMENDATION ONLY AND NOT FOR TROUBLESHOOTING PROBLEMS OF USERS!!!!

To stop confusions, this Thread is intended for Windows OS based solutions, so don't be smart and comment, things like use Firefaox and you will live another day, or swap to linux.

Thanks a lot for the support in this thread

Hopefully it will clean up the security thread a bit

Whicih Anti Virus solution would you recommend 494 votes

Panda Antivirus
    0% 0 votes
    Norton Antivirus
    1% 5 votes
    McAfee Virusscan
    14% 71 votes
    AVG
    8% 43 votes
    Kaspersky Antivirus
    53% 264 votes
    Extendia AVK
    9% 45 votes
    Trend Micro PC-Cillin
    0% 1 vote
    nod32
    1% 7 votes
    others
    11% 58 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

nod32.

grew tired of Norton SysWorks 2005 anally raping my system resources. I mean nigh on 7 processes were removed when it was uninstalled.

had heard great revies of nod32 [pcz swear by it] and it's gotten 100% detection the last 3 years running in some AV test.

almost 8meg d/l and the updates I got were only 3meg last night.

*cough*cost is around $40*cough* ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

I don't believe people are rating Norton so highly.
    ITS A POLL ON WHAT YOU RATE AS GOOD, not the crap you may actually use!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Norton is ****ing terrible, its so bad people should sue them for exposing their PC's to virsus etc. and pretending to protect them.

AVG does a grand jobe for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Dislike the home version of Norton, and systemworks is a hog, but Norton corporate is fairly unobtrusive, and does it's job ok on desktops and laptops.
    Updates can be managed from a local server.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Brian017

AVG because it's free, free updates and detects more viruses than Norton.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Avoid bloatware! (yes thats you McAfee/Symantec!)

I used to use AVG but have got on well with Solo which is quite light on the old clock cycles...

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

I voted for AVG, but in my paranoia i also run another free antivirus programme called !Avast - updates more regularly than AVG and has on line protection to boot.

Seems as they are free, you can't go wrong with either!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 qotsaman

havent actually tried AVG but might just load it on! using Sophos at the moment and have to say its the best ive ever used....but hey...AVG might prove me wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Paddyo

I use Sophos Anti Virus

This is only a corporate product and will not be found in any shop. As a result the support is great. Updates are as frequent as is necessary. In a network environment workstations are kept upto date on a regular basis - a few times a day. It can be linked with spam filters, mail monitors etc...

Maybe a bit more expensive but well worth the extra.

Norton security centre - Aggggghhhhhhhhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

from the reccomendation on this thread, ive started using Nod32.

id never heard of it but it is definatly the dogs! Its even written in machine code apparently and uses at little as 7mb of RAM

Thumbs up for nod 32, all my clients will be running it from now on!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 rw227

I use NOD32 and would never use anything else .. small memory footprint, regular small updates ( a few hundred K) and the new v2.50 BETA offers antiSpyware amongst other new innovations .... plus more VB100% awards than any other av.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

AVG - Had Norton, machine was running like crap, uninstalled Norton and installed AVG and it picked up a ton of viruses....
    Plus its free....

To anyone reading this who doesnt have much experience with computers, as a compliment to your AV software I would suggest some good ad removal software (adaware is good) plus a firewall (zonelabs).....

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭jessy

cant belive BitDefender didnt make it into the poll, I'v used every AV software listed above and found BitDefender to be the best, panda a wasnt to far behind it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭mcummins2

snapscan1212p this is a poll on what is widely used and not what is good. Which goes to show that there is not much advertising in Ireland in relation to AV products as there is a lot using Nortons. I am currently using Nortans and have used Kaspersky. After uninstalling Kaspersky and installing Nortons 2005 it did find spyware and a hacktool that Kaspersky missed. But reading the information given here I think I will try Nod32 or AVG just to see.
    I don't believe people are rating Norton so highly.
    ITS A POLL ON WHAT YOU RATE AS GOOD, not the crap you may actually use!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Norton is rubish. Its shafted several people I know quite badly (to the point of reinstall). The name on the poll if you check is: Which Anti Virus solution would you recommend which I would take as a poll to find out what is good. Im also surpirised how many people use Norton but it does come installed on alot of machines as a trial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Optikus

Had Norton also though it was sh1te.. have been ising AVG for quite some time now and am totaly happy with it seems to detect everything, has very regular updates and is FREE. Might give Nod32 a try in my new rig, as it sounds quite good. Out of interest has anyone currently using Nod changed from AVG, if so why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 mike dee

McAfee is bloated. I bought terible aqquisition. Norton was better. Try KApersky in my hands way better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭7aken

strange to see that while norton rates only behind AVG, there's not a whole lot of people on here defending it. i'm using it at the mo' but see my post in this board 'weird goings on' http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=270089

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭airetam_storm

AVG
    small, regular updates, few cpu cycles used, highly effecient

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Diggles

Got blasted several times using Nortons suposed to be internet security so changed to AVG. Its free, it updates automatically and I haven't had any problems in 6 mnts. I am not a teckie so need everything done for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Board@Work

I work as a technican so down through the years I have come into contact with all antivirus programs there are available.

This one is by far the best.

Not a memory hog Unlike Norton, McAffe
    Updates at least once a day (Norton once a week if ur lucky)
    Cheap. Granted not as cheap as AVG but at €42 a year its OK.
    Quick scanning Norton can takes ages on large HDDs.

I used to recommend Norton but its such a hog and as an antivirus product it simply doesn't stop viruses coming in

I can't recommend it enough

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

AntiVir, is my personal favourite. It is a 6MB download for both the free and professional versions. It has daily updates which is a must these days. It also works nicly with the Windows (lack of) security centre. I have been using it for a good while and have started recommending it since AVG failed the VirusBulletin test.

Oh and just for Gilgimesh, saying that this is a for Windows OS based solutions so don't go saying switch to firefox and you will live another day.

Firefox runs on Windows

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Recently switched from AVG (updates were failing; problem with PC I would imagine) to AntiVir. Also, AVG isn't free anymore as far as I can make out from the grisoft site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

Oh but it is still free. They've changed the site around a bit so it's a bit harder to find. It's here...

http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭daywalker

i use avast on my machine, its very good and has got daily updates, also if it detects a trojan while browsing the internet it alerts you with a flashing window and alert sound with an option to terminate the internet connection, a good option imo.

http://www.avast.com

you can even customise how the program looks with skins

EDIT: PS its also free like AVG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Oh but it is still free. They've changed the site around a bit so it's a bit harder to find. It's here...

http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1

Yeah its still free and doing a good job at that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

AVG :), works flawlessly, updating is quick and easy, solid program. I only hope this wonderful program one day cripples that excuse for a program they call Nortons :cool: .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 smartsystems

Using symantec/ norton 2005....find it ok, but going to try some alternatives soon. I am also paranoid so I am using a little PCI hardware device called Juzt Reboot....so don`t worry much about the odd virus getting by...just zap it and laugh at there feeble attempts.

Glad to see your views on different brands....saves me some time...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Reading this thread, it makes you wonder how McAfee and Norton are still in business. It must be on corporate and bundled deals.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Billy Kovachy

Well here is a good review of the latest anti-virus thingies, you might all be a bit shocked by the outcome

http://overclockers.com/articles1260/

Advertisement