Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Program that won't delete

Options
  • 05-08-2004 3:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭

I recently downloaded a file from a good site on the internet using Firefox (which is the browser I use). I had to cancel the download mid way, and was unable to start it up again.

I did however manage to download the file again from scratch and it worked.

When I try to delete the originally aborted download file (which was saved to my desktop) it will not delete - it says cannot delete as being used by another person or program

This is not the case, and it also refuses to be delete in Safe Mode...

Any idea what I can do, is it likely some badness is lurking on my computer that's stopping me complete such tasks?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭MidnightQueen

The file is probably locked or something. This sometimes happens. Try shuting down the P.C and start it up again and then find the file and try deleting it again. It should work. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

He can't delete it in safe mode, so obviously he's already tried restarting. Chump, have a look at your processes in Safe Mode, anything odd there? Is the Mozilla stub (systray applet) running? (Dunno does Firefox run a stub, but worth a shot anyway.)

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

dahamsta, fraid it doesn't... im extremely stumped... the file definetely ain't a bad one as tis a download of mathematica from manufactures site and the 2nd download went well and installed no problem

running sygate personal firewall & avg with latest updates

nothing at all seems astray

also recently ran adaware and spybot and hijack this ... cleaned up a few loose ends...

mite try and delete from a dos boot,l although the directory and filename aren't the nicest!

that worked...

thanks 4 tips

can close thread now!

that worked...

thanks 4 tips

can close thread now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭dogs

chump wrote:
    can close thread now!

gee, thanks.

This is NOT the purpose of this board. Read the rules or get banned.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement