Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

35 properties to be leased in Galway city for asylum seekers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Sonrisa wrote: »
    It would be great if it could be lawfully processed that quickly, but unfortunately I don't think there is any government process so efficient.

Can you elaborate on why it can't be done in 7 days?

john123470 wrote: »
    I've seen it too many times where folk from a certain African country are able to queue jump the housing waiting list. And you wonder about the resentment ?

If I arrive in Japan, and claim asylum, I wonder will I get housed by the State, faster than the local Japanese homeless?

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Zookey123

Geuze wrote: »
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/lucrative-sham-marriage-scam-brought-to-an-end-at-dublin-cricket-match-1.3504893

This bogus criminal Asian AS organised many sham marriages.

All of the Pakistani AS are bogus.

We need to end DP, and process their bogus claims much faster.

What that article is referring to is the sham marriage scam that some Asian men used to gain citizenship. That was a loop hole to beat the system. I'm sure none of us have ever tried to beat the system before. That man is now back to Pakistan. Using that as an excuse to label all immigrants as criminals is ridiculous and i'm sure even you don't believe that.

john123470 wrote: »
    Well, we are in their shoes now, are we not.

... figures show 10,338 people are homeless, 3,848 of whom are children. The number of people without a home in Ireland continues to rise with the latest official figures showing 10,338 people are relying on emergency accommodation.
    That was 1 year ago and it aint getting any better. With Covid, mass unemployment on the horizon etc, things will get worse

I don't wish homelessness on anyone but surely people who have paid taxes in their own country are more deserving of housing when their lives are disintegrating around them

I've seen it too many times where folk from a certain African country are able to queue jump the housing waiting list. And you wonder about the resentment ?

As per usual, its all down to weak, ineffectual leadership who are only in it for whatever they can grab for themselves

Again why must we choose? Why cant we be for housing the homeless while also helping immigrants? It seems the homeless problem only exists when immigrants are housed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Zookey123 wrote: »
    Do they not deserve a home?

No they dont "deserve" a home in a foreign country paid for by the citizens of that country. Most definitely no

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

I have a second report too where the german government took in migrants, offered them all free training and under 30% of them even volunteered for the free education, of the ones that did volunteer most just went on to do german language courses.

They don’t want to work, integrate, communicate etc.. they just want free stuff

Could you share your report that states that asylum seekers are a net detractor to a countries economy? I can only find the opposite.

The closest I could find from your post was that:

"A 2017 survey of leading economists found that 34% of economists agreed with the statement "The influx of refugees into Germany beginning in the summer of 2015 will generate net economic benefits for German citizens over the succeeding decade", whereas 38% were uncertain and 6% disagreed."

That would conflict with what you are stating.

Using that as an excuse to label all immigrants as criminals is ridiculous and i'm sure even you don't believe that.

I don't think anybody is saying all immigrants are criminals, that is clearly false, as you say.

Bogus AS are criminals.

Bogus AS are a small share of all immigrants.

There are estimated 85,000 immigrants in year to April 2020.

Bogus AS is < 5,000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

"I'm entitled to..." is something I had said to listen to.

"no you are not.....". I replied.

"it is OK, the council will give me one"

Real conversation I had with a chechnian. He doesn't work. He is his wife's carer. Went looking for him one day to be told he was away at Arabic lessons. Guy sometimes needs an interpreter to talk to me. I asked would it not be better to get English lessons and got no answer.

And its only going to get worse

We know that the vast majority of AS are bogus.

We have read the reports about the bogus criminal Asian AS involved in sham marriages.

It is all well known.

Why would I have empathy with criminals?

Bogus AS are not welcome.
    don't think anybody is saying all immigrants are criminals, that is clearly false, as you say.

Bogus AS are criminals.

Bogus AS are a small share of all immigrants.

You just said most AS are bogus and now saying they are a minority? And you said bogus AS are criminals and that a vast majority are bogus thus a vast majority of AS are criminals right? or am i missing something here.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Ireland's position geographically means that all asylum seekers who reach these shores have bypassed multiple safe countries before getting here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

Great another thread about immigrants. Do they not deserve a home? They are also just people like us. Maybe start treating people as individuals rather than putting everyone in categories. One person does wrong and cheats the system therefore all immigrants are bad. Put yourself in someone else's shoes for one day, have a bit of empathy.

Immigrants are different from asylum seekers baby. I am born in Brazil from European immigrants that started to arrive there in 1905. They worked harvesting coffee and replaced the slaves. Never got anything from the state. Since I arrived here almost 15 years ago never got a single € from the state, 2 weeks unemployed in 15 years. Never went to court only problem I had was 4 penalty points on driving license that are expired from long time. During this time I had met some asylum seekers and I am definitely not on the same category as them. I came here because the wages (with the intention of work) not because wanted something for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I'd be expecting this is the new norm this Will turn into their 4eva homes

Das Reich wrote: »
    Immigrants are different from asylum seekers baby. I am born in Brazil from European immigrants that started to arrive there in 1905. They worked harvesting coffee and replaced the slaves. Never got anything from the state. Since I arrived here almost 15 years ago never got a single € from the state, 2 weeks unemployed in 15 years. Never went to court only problem I had was 4 penalty points on driving license that are expired from long time. During this time I had met some asylum seekers and I am definitely not on the same category as them. I came here because the wages (with the intention of work) not because wanted something for free.

I wonder why a "Brazilian" immigrant would have a fascination with a Nazi military unit. I swear you guys aren't even hiding your racism anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

34% of economists agreed with the statement "The influx of refugees into Germany beginning in the summer of 2015

The majority are living off benefits which is a drain on all states across the EU there is no real economic benefit to them moving enmass to Europe ,it's costing more to house ,feed , medical, educational supports than they will ever generate in the medium to longer term .

In economic migrants here when your looking at close to 70% unemployment rate in some areas

Where are all well educated and skilled persons we were told about coming

• Registered Users Posts: 28,719 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Again why must we choose? Why cant we be for housing the homeless while also helping immigrants? It seems the homeless problem only exists when immigrants are housed.

Because (and apologies to everyone else who's heard me say this before)...

- We are a small island nation with limited resources and significant societal, health, housing and economic issues we can't get a handle on as it is. Charity begins at home

- We have huge wealth and opportunity inequality between the main cities and the rest of the country

- We have an ever-growing population of "working poor" who are reliant on some variant of State support and/or struggling to cover the essentials never mind improve the situation. I'm not talking minimum wage earners or part-timers either

- We already donate a small fortune in aid to the poor countries of the world. We even continued to do this during the Recession :rolleyes:

- We have already seen evidence that most of the claims are bogus and in fact economic migrants and/or welfare chancers. The entitlement culture in these people (fed by our own broken system) is already a significant problem (as exampled by the quote from someone above that "residency = council owes me a house") without encouraging still more to rock up and chance their arm

- Ireland does not border any of the countries these people arrive from and in most cases they arrive from another EU state or hidden in the back of a container. What are these people fleeing from in France? Why are they breaking into and hiding in containers? Maybe we should be questioning their motives? Any of this group should be immediately sent back to where they came from

- We need to fix our slow, open-to-abuse Asylum claim system as a priority and before we take ANY more claimants to be honest. I've outlined how this could work before:
    -- Claimant arrives, temporarily held in a processing centre while their details are investigated which should take no more than a week.
    If successful, they are permitted to stay only as long as their is a real danger to them returning home (as determined by the Irish Government) and only as long as the numbers permitted to remain are sustainable.
    If they wish to stay beyond this, they can apply through any of the numerous legal avenues to gain residency. If their claim fails, they are given leave for one appeal which is heard within the second week. If that fails again, immediate deportation and their details recorded in case they decide to try again

And finally, and ultimately....

- Immigration should absolutely benefit the host Country and its citizens. Accepting thousands upon thousands (if some had their way!) of people with no skills, no way to support themselves, little or no language skills, and significant cultural or religious differences only represents a drain on that Country and citizenry - compounded by the factors above.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭strangel00p

Great another thread about immigrants. Do they not deserve a home? They are also just people like us. Maybe start treating people as individuals rather than putting everyone in categories. One person does wrong and cheats the system therefore all immigrants are bad. Put yourself in someone else's shoes for one day, have a bit of empathy.

No, they absolutely do not deserve a home over the many homeless Irish nationals. I have massive empathy for the homeless Irish, so I pay my taxes to contribute to the well being of Irish nationals and not for economic refugees.

Gatling wrote: »
    The majority are living off benefits which is a drain on all states across the EU there is no real economic benefit to them moving enmass to Europe ,

You must have missed some of the sources I posted earlier. Here is one of them:

Immigration is contentious, and election campaigns worldwide have alleged that immigration deprives locals of jobs and that refugees are a burden. Evidence shows immigration is a boon to economies. Such terms are completely at odds with the overwhelming evidence that immigration is positive for destination countries, departure countries, and immigrants themselves. Far from being a burden or a cost, immigrants are a boon to economies. Ireland would benefit from a more open attitude to immigration, whether those migrants are economic, asylum-seekers, or refugees.

No, they absolutely do not deserve a home over the many homeless Irish nationals. I have massive empathy for the homeless Irish, so I pay my taxes to contribute to the well being of Irish nationals and not for economic refugees.

Everyone deserves a roof over their heads. Whether Irish born or not. I would like to see you spend one day on the street maybe help you gain some empathy for your fellow humans. By all means advocate for helping the homeless I myself was part of the Simon society and volunteered as much time as I could to help. But do not use the poor homeless as an excuse to have a go at the immigrants.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

I wonder why a "Brazilian" immigrant would have a fascination with a Nazi military unit. I swear you guys aren't even hiding your racism anymore.

No arguments, so lets doubt about where the person is from and call him a racist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Everyone deserves a roof over their heads. Whether Irish born or not. I would like to see you spend one day on the street maybe help you gain some empathy for your fellow humans. By all means advocate for helping the homeless I myself was part of the Simon society and volunteered as much time as I could to help. But do not use the poor homeless as an excuse to have a go at the immigrants.

Paid for by who?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Such a twisted way to look at things

Gatling wrote: »
    ,it's costing more to house ,feed , medical, educational supports than they will ever generate in the medium to longer term .

This is not true. Here is another:
    527204.png
    https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-018-05507-0

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

These people are fleeing economic ruin. And as a nation in a supreme economic position like ourselves, we need to help them.
    Oh sorry, I was thinking of another country. I forgot that we are screwed for a minute.

Das Reich wrote: »
    No arguments, so lets doubt about where the person is from and call him a racist.

Do you even know how many innocent civilians were massacred by the second panzer division? yeah i'm not interested in having a conversation with an actual Nazi.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Metroid diorteM

We've become a magnet for economic migrants who see us as a soft touch when the truth is WE CANT AFFORD THE ROOFS OVER OUR OWN HEADS.

Paid for by who?

From me and my fellow tax payers (I doubt you have to worry anyways). They will work in the future and pay it back into the community. That's how a civilized society works. I guess you can think of it as a morality tax, not surprised you wish to opt out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 466 ✭✭DangerScouse

Pkiernan wrote: »
    I'd rather them than some of the Oliver Bond St free house recipients.

These guys will work one day.

Everyone in those flats pay rent to the council.

There is no free housing there or anywhere in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

i know exactly where these are,and who owns them,its all one company, they were never occupied by ,shall we say,regular tennants,always short term foreign student lets,there are a couple of businesses close by run by same people. its not suitible for children at all imo,except the munster avenue houses, the rest are flats,i think only 4 are houses,or 6 at most. its going to be a ghetto in there,sorry to say,its cramped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

Someone over there is making a lot of money outta cattle trading.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

Whats wrong with living next to people of different cultures. I have had zero issues. Maybe try and look at the world outside your own bubble.

Are you for real? So why then do well off people live in gated communities? For the laugh of it, because they just like to throw big money away for no reason? You give out to people who have concerns but cannot afford to live anywhere else, but have nothing to say to the rich (including btw these politicians making these decisions) who have made sure they never have to live anywhere near "people of different cultures"?

And I like how you have no comment to my living conditions point. Governments like this like to beat their chests and make "human rights" headlines, but abandon the working poor to garbage conditions just because they are above the threshold line.

Advertisement